When will we see a 64-bit Football Manager?

I'm just wondering as manufacturers and developers are beginning embracing the 64bit architecture more, when will we see FM in 64-bit? Taking into account the database size, it will only be beneficial to the program?

Will SI try to implement it sooner or leave it till later? Or compile two flavours of Football Manager?

Any ideas or answers are most welcome :)

Brad

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully for 2011. They can't overlook for long, I just got my copy of Windows 7 64bit edition and was browsing the sevenforums, the majority there have 64bit editions. I'm not saying 64bit is the majority, it's obviously not, but with Windows 7 I think there is a very large percentage of people who had 32bit Windows XP, but had 64bit compliant hardware, never upgraded to Vista, and are now moving to the 64bit world with Windows 7.

More and more games are 64bit compliant, all I need now is for a 64bit Football Manager and for Flash to be 64bit friendly so that we can finally have fully functional 64bit browsers.

...but with Windows 7 I think there is a very large percentage of people who had 32bit Windows XP, but had 64bit compliant hardware, never upgraded to Vista, and are now moving to the 64bit world with Windows 7...

That would be me that you are talking about there.. except that I don't have 64bit hardware atm, I'm buying myself a new pcin about a month and will then use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the new pc.

I never used Vista, still using XP now..

Windows 7 ships with two DVDs in the case, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. Unfortunately I had to scrap my plan of going down the 64 bit route as my wireless adapter can't handle it, and I had neither the time nor money to sort it out. Eventually I'll be embracing 64 bit, but it'd be too much hassle for SI Games to focus on 64 bit versions of FM until it becomes the standard used by the majority of consumers.

Indeed. The main benefit that I see is in the way a 64bit operating system can handle large amounts of RAM. Is it really necessary for an application to also run in 64bit? You'll already be getting an increase in performance just by having the 64bit operating system behind it.

That would be me that you are talking about there.. except that I don't have 64bit hardware atm, I'm buying myself a new pcin about a month and will then use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the new pc.

Good idea. I bought a new laptop about 2 months ago, myself not wanting to use Vista, but knowing that I was entitled to the free Win7 upgrade I went for it. I was completely frustrated with Vista. Not very lightweight and useablity was just dire!

Been using Win7 Ultimate x64 for a few days now, and I have to say that I'm very impressed! And its hard for a piece of software to impress me!

I was wondering if SI would leave it as late as possible to make the switch as people do not have the will/money/hardware requirements to make the x64 switch. Or would they try to impliment it sooner as to make it easier for themselves in later versions for when the inevitable switch is completed. Im led to believe that x64 coding is different??

I read somewhere that Windows 8 will be in 64-bit and 128-bit (and released within 3 years), leading me to think that SI will have to make the switch sooner rather than later to keep up with the technology.

Pfft. 16k :cool:

If it brought us games as quality as Elite, Jetpac, Manic Miner and Ant Attack, there is no need to move forward :thup: :stuckinthepast: ;)

gotta love those 16-bit games! I still have an old XP machine that I use to play them. Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate and Theme Hospital, ooze gaming class! I wish Moly would get Bullfrog back together!

SI will definitely move into a 64-bit Football Manager in the next couple of years but I don't think that FM 2011 will be 64-bit just as yet. Maybe, Football Manager 2012 would be 64-bit but there is no word from SI on this yet. Moving to a 64-bit Football Manager is indeed a huge step forward because, then, most users would have the possibility of playing most or all of the leagues in FM comfortably. As SI keeps improving their editor, more users would like to play with more than 50 nations running simultaneously with many levels of leagues in each nation. This would not be possible with a 32-bit FM as it only utilizes a mere 2 GB of RAM which is definitely not enough to run all of the leagues in the game and that is not even touching the leagues added by FM fans using the editor.

I am wondering why is SI still silent on this issue? Maybe we should hold a petition for SI to make FM 2011 64-bit. Will someone from SI please respond to this? I have 4GB of RAM on my laptop and I am thinking of upgrading my RAM to 8GB. But I won't be doing this anytime soon because FM does not utilize all of the RAM just yet. Moving Football Manager to a 64-bit application is indeed a great idea and I hope that SI implements this in the near future!

I am wondering why is SI still silent on this issue? Maybe we should hold a petition for SI to make FM 2011 64-bit. Will someone from SI please respond to this? I have 4GB of RAM on my laptop and I am thinking of upgrading my RAM to 8GB. But I won't be doing this anytime soon because FM does not utilize all of the RAM just yet. Moving Football Manager to a 64-bit application is indeed a great idea and I hope that SI implements this in the near future!

How would I go about starting a petition on these forums??

I think making 2011 64-bit only would be a little unfair on the people who are not able to play it. As i said previously to realease the next version in 2 flavours. But would that be cost effective? As im sure they would have to employ more programmers.

After Xmas I should be completeing my new system. The motherboard has an allocation of 16GB DDR3 RAM, coupled with Win7 x64 I'll be able to play all the leagues across the whole UNIVERSE :D

How would I go about starting a petition on these forums??

I think making 2011 64-bit only would be a little unfair on the people who are not able to play it. As i said previously to realease the next version in 2 flavours. But would that be cost effective? As im sure they would have to employ more programmers.

After Xmas I should be completeing my new system. The motherboard has an allocation of 16GB DDR3 RAM, coupled with Win7 x64 I'll be able to play all the leagues across the whole UNIVERSE :D

Well, i hate to bring down your hopes but as long as FM 2010 remains a 32-bit application, having 16GB of RAM or even 1TB of RAM isn't going to make the game faster! FM 2010 only utilizes 2GB of RAM at thee most and the rest depends on your processor speed! SI has stated in one of the other threads that FM 2010 would only utilize a maximum of 2GB of RAM. The rest depends on your processor speed.

This is the problem with 32-bit applications. Football Manager has the potential to be played with ALL of the leagues in the world simultaneously but as long as it remains a 32-bit application, the gameplay will be quite limited. I hope that SI looks into this in the near future!

Yeah, should have thought about that a little bit more really. Will still run pretty fast anyway, having DDR3 RAM and Phenom II 720x3. May do a little overclocking also, just to squeeze out that little bit more ;)

You should have upgraded to an Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz Extreme Edition if money is no concern for you! That processor would indeed run most of the leagues comfortably! :D

Money is an issue :p Thats why I went with the Phenom II 720 (2.8GHz). Plus AMD's are 'games friendly' and run cooler than Intels. A black edition CPU coupled with my ASUS motherboard has excellent overclocking potential! Upto 3.7GHz with air cooling, which is more then enough for pretty much anything.

I would strongly advise anyone to go with the Phenom II 720 x3. Easily the best processor for under £100!

Core i7.... 3.33GHz, I wonder what they could over clock that too?? I read somewhere that a geezer managed to get a Phenom II 955 x4 (3.2GHz) upto something stupid like 6.4GHz. Just a little extreme!

You should have upgraded to an Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz Extreme Edition if money is no concern for you! That processor would indeed run most of the leagues comfortably! :D

Well, don't have the illusion that a core i7 975 will run all the leagues. But with my 940, I have to say i can run a lot of leagues with an acceptable speed.

Money is an issue :p Thats why I went with the Phenom II 720 (2.8GHz). Plus AMD's are 'games friendly' and run cooler than Intels. A black edition CPU coupled with my ASUS motherboard has excellent overclocking potential! Upto 3.7GHz with air cooling, which is more then enough for pretty much anything.

I would strongly advise anyone to go with the Phenom II 720 x3. Easily the best processor for under £100!

Core i7.... 3.33GHz, I wonder what they could over clock that too?? I read somewhere that a geezer managed to get a Phenom II 955 x4 (3.2GHz) upto something stupid like 6.4GHz. Just a little extreme!

975 run with 4,2GhZ with air cooling. That's what i read somewhere.

The game will always be 32bit, even if they add 64bit it will be optional.

I also don't see how it would make much difference unless you run every single league which would still need a good processor as well.

I think its some thing they will have to monitor. I would imagine that Windows 7 is going to generate a fair amount of PC sales. A major problem is that most (annoying) sellers, such as PC World will only ship their systems with 32-bit operating systems even though they are capable of running 64-bit, as they did with my little Acer. Pointless, but that is PC World in a nutshell. Good idea - poor execution.

I'm going to keep ckecking this thread a lot to see if anyone from SI does make a reply regarding this subject. I'm keen to know what their stance is, even if they're not going to impliment it in the near future.

A majority of people are still using 32bit systems. Therefore, if SI make FM 64bit, I presume they'll be cutting out 80% of their target market?

Well, I think that by next year, they could be only cutting out 50% of their target market and by 2011, this percentage will decrease further. I think that in about 3 to 4 years time, over 90% of PC users will be using a 64-bit OS so I don't think that this would be a major issue. Just remember that Microsoft is already contemplating in making Windows 8 a 128-bit OS in about 3 to 4 years time!!! That is pretty fast!!!

By the way, I am still waiting for an official word from SI with regards to this matter! I wonder what is keeping them so long in commenting on this issue! :D

I think its some thing they will have to monitor. I would imagine that Windows 7 is going to generate a fair amount of PC sales. A major problem is that most (annoying) sellers, such as PC World will only ship their systems with 32-bit operating systems even though they are capable of running 64-bit, as they did with my little Acer. Pointless, but that is PC World in a nutshell. Good idea - poor execution.

I'm going to keep ckecking this thread a lot to see if anyone from SI does make a reply regarding this subject. I'm keen to know what their stance is, even if they're not going to impliment it in the near future.

Well, I am sure that in the near future, PC world will start shipping their systems with 64-bit operating systems!

The game will always be 32bit, even if they add 64bit it will be optional.

I also don't see how it would make much difference unless you run every single league which would still need a good processor as well.

Well, you are wrong here. The game won't be ALWAYS 32-bit in the future! Look at what happened to 16-bit games! They are almost non existent! But this process could take a couple of years to make Football Manager exclusively 64-bit!

Well, you are wrong here. The game won't be ALWAYS 32-bit in the future! Look at what happened to 16-bit games! They are almost non existent! But this process could take a couple of years to make Football Manager exclusively 64-bit!

in theory changing to 64-bit could mean they have to recode a lot of the game

As someone said earlier i think they will always keep it 32 bit with 64 bit becoming optional,Even if the cut out 2% of there target market it is not worth it as it means lost revenue for the company and therefore less improvements for the game,If your asking for the idea to be optional i completely agree but as of yet and paticularly during a reccession this is not the moves FM should be taking

Like 16-bit did, 32-bit will eventually die out in favour of 64-bit

Its called progress/evolution

Hell, at one time we used to have 4-bit processors

But, remember the change from 16 to 32 didnt happen overnight, it took many years, the same will happen with mainstream 64-bit, but maybe longer

It comes down to money, eventually it will no longer be cost efficient to program for a 32-bit architecture (tbh, I feel this stage will be down to operating systems dropping proper support for 32-bit), so costs and time will move along to a 64-bit architecture

And bear in mind, there are more advantages to 64-bit than simply being able to use more ram

That would be me that you are talking about there.. except that I don't have 64bit hardware atm, I'm buying myself a new pc in about a month and will then use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the new pc.

Well you can now scrap the comment from me that is quoted here, I won't be getting W7 anymore it seems (cash restraints) so I will have to hang onto good ol' XP for a while longer.:(

He says, while plotting his massive Sussex editor file for FM10 :D

Um, well, yes :o

I did once try to write a management game, but my grasp of Commodore BASIC didn't extend much further than rudimentary Pong clones :(:D (At least, they were the only things that I could ever make work!)

• SI Staff

We'll continue to monitor the stats that we receive regarding the systems that are being used to play Football Manager. When there's a high % of users on 64 bit OS's, we'll look at it. I would expect that to be at least 3 (more likely a lot more) versions away. At the moment, the % using is minimal, and as long as the game works fine (which is does) all can play. To support another OS natively with a new version of the game, and different coding needed, would be incredibly expensive (see all the discussions regarding Linux).

We'll continue to monitor the stats that we receive regarding the systems that are being used to play Football Manager. When there's a high % of users on 64 bit OS's, we'll look at it. I would expect that to be at least 3 (more likely a lot more) versions away. At the moment, the % using is minimal, and as long as the game works fine (which is does) all can play. To support another OS natively with a new version of the game, and different coding needed, would be incredibly expensive (see all the discussions regarding Linux).

Hello :D , bye now

Thanks for the info Miles!

Thanks for the response, Miles! So, we would be seeing a 64-bit Football Manager 2013 or FM 2014 very soon! :D

• 1 month later...
I think that in about 3 to 4 years time, over 90% of PC users will be using a 64-bit OS so I don't think that this would be a major issue.
I think you are widely over-estimating the percentage there.
Just remember that Microsoft is already contemplating in making Windows 8 a 128-bit OS in about 3 to 4 years time!!! That is pretty fast!!!
and what hardware would this mythical system run on then?

A hell of a lot of people won't upgrade to 64 bit OS my grandfather plays FM, as does my dad. Each year I check their computers and get them up to what the latest FM will need and require and that's enough for them and more than enough for their general use. Truth is they won't buy a new PC now for another 4/5 years especially with me doing this for them as their upgrades are relatively cheap.

I'll get a 64 bit system in the next 12 months or so, soon as I've got the other things I want with my money but whilst there is a great many of us on these forums who are able to build our computers up to the best our budget allows and squeeze every iota of performance out of the hardware, there is far more who are oblivious to it all and completely unaware of 64bit.

Archived