Tactic Notches not centre no more?

It's obviously not major, but I agree with him it should be sorted, I've moved the sliders plenty of times now to what I thought was centre, then realising it was already. I 'reset' tactics all the time before creating one, so I notice it a lot.

But I'd settle for fixing the damn right click bug first.

C'mon everyone, the OP asked an honest question, so what if most people either weren't concerned by the left of centre sliders (are SI new labour?) or just didn't notice it there is no need for the sarcastic comments.

From time to time I just don't get this forum.

It is a bit odd, but obviously its only cosmetic, and I never have to look at it for more than about three seconds, so I don't really care.

You'd think that SI would want to fix it, though, if only because it makes the game look a bit unfinished and unprofessional.

So, why not move the slider all the way to the left and then count how many notches there are?

Because I have to do that 50 times for each player/team talk. Be far easier if I can see the centre and move it according.

that doesnt convince me that it matters at all

It matters because each notch represent something it no attack, little attack, attack, high attack, all out. When these are set they directly related to other instructions example you don't want an attacking mentality to be high closing down.

All notches are proportionally related to one another.

(BTW its -10------------0-----------10, not 20)

Because I have to do that 50 times for each player/team talk. Be far easier if I can see the centre and move it according.

I know what you want, what I'm saying is count how many notches there are. Then find the centre.

You only have to do it once to figure out what the middle value is.

The middle is slightly to the left of the centre marking, but it confuses me when I count it right as it miss the centre point. Always seems like I've missed 1 out because you can't land on the centre.

Now I'm starting to think there is no zero value.

-10 -9 -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2- 1 (Zero but you can't stop here) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Its wired, counting from zero to -10 gives me 10. Counting zero to ----> 10 gives me 9?

The leftmost pos is 1 and the rightmost is 20. Since you cant have an equal amount of numbers on each side if you chose one as the "center line", that line is on pos 11. In FM08 the default setting (over the center line) was at 11, now it seems the default has been switched to 10 (which makes more sense if you ask me).

i agree with the OP in so much as it looks crappy. if there is no middle setting, why put a line there?

further research has thrown up another anomoly.

on the sliders there are indeed 20 notches. notches 1 to 11 are on one side of the 'cosmetic' centre line, and notches 12 to 20 are on the other. this makes the centre line represent 11.5. this makes no sense.

furthermore, for some reason the mentality slider has 22 notches, of which 12 are on one side and 10 on the other...

and its not just the tactics slider, its on the all new 'match speed' slider too.

now this slider has 15 notches, of which 1 to 8 are on one side and 9 to 15 on the other.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't 8 exactly in the middle of 1 and 15??

and it doesn't end there.

check out the training screen. the slider for 'workload' has loads of settings, but the markers on it look odd. the first marker is a few millimetres into the slider, and the last one is off the end of the slider. it looks to me as if all the notches are slightly off to the right, which would explain the problem the OP had in the first place.

God don't even tell me not all the sliders add up to 20.

I took the Zero out and used 1 as a form of zero. But I still don't get why its to the left of the centre line.

Can an official SI personnel tell me what's going on here? Or at least knowledge you have read this and is reviewing it before the patch is put out.

and its not just the tactics slider, its on the all new 'match speed' slider too.

now this slider has 15 notches, of which 1 to 8 are on one side and 9 to 15 on the other.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't 8 exactly in the middle of 1 and 15??

and it doesn't end there.

check out the training screen. the slider for 'workload' has loads of settings, but the markers on it look odd. the first marker is a few millimetres into the slider, and the last one is off the end of the slider. it looks to me as if all the notches are slightly off to the right, which would explain the problem the OP had in the first place.

You are not wrong. Simply put you need to have an odd amount of positions to be able to put one as the center. Tbh though, as long as I know how many clicks there are on a slider I'd rather have a slighlty skewed centre than no reference point at all.

There are 10 notches to the left of the default middle, and 9 notches to the right.

The notch is not in the middle, it looks like every default setting is -1

Because of the different amount of notches on each side, the gap between the notches is different in length from one side to the other.

Whilst this isn't game breaking, it's frustrating when you've been used to the overall feel and look of previous versions, and now your overall perception of viewing a tactics screen is skewed.

This is actually the first bug I noticed when I started playing.

There are 10 notches to the left of the default middle, and 9 notches to the right.

The notch is not in the middle, it looks like every default setting is -1

Because of the different amount of notches on each side, the gap between the notches is different in length from one side to the other.

Whilst this isn't game breaking, it's frustrating when you've been used to the overall feel and look of previous versions, and now your overall perception of viewing a tactics screen is skewed.

This is actually the first bug I noticed when I started playing.

Not if it's 1-20. If it was 0-20 it would be.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 = 9 options

but

11-20 is 10 options (11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20)

You are not wrong. Simply put you need to have an odd amount of positions to be able to put one as the center. Tbh though, as long as I know how many clicks there are on a slider I'd rather have a slighlty skewed centre than no reference point at all.

Previous option set up was

-10 -9 -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 (0) +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10

Zero = Mixed option, neither defencive nor offensives

FM09 set up is

-10 -9 -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 (+1 )+2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10

+1= Mixed option, neither defencive nor offensives

Therefore the tactics option is skewed. Which means when you interlink them they are significantly skewed due to each slider of either side having 1 less or more option

Therefore when you play the game your game play is slightly off balance.

Is this SI way of making the game harder???

C'mon everyone, the OP asked an honest question, so what if most people either weren't concerned by the left of centre sliders (are SI new labour?) or just didn't notice it there is no need for the sarcastic comments.

From time to time I just don't get this forum.

From time to time, taking the mick out of someone who asks a dumb question is funny.

That's it.

I believe there is a bug that means you have to click the slider twice at one end before it moves. I'm sure it will be fixed. However, to clear up the confusion:

1: It's common forum parlance to describe the sliders ranging from 1-20, with one being the far left and twenty being the far right

2: The team mentality slider has always had two extra notches which override individual settings if you want the whole team to go 'all out attack' or 'all out defence'. For every other slider setting, individual overrides team.

3: The bug is minor and won't affect game play

I believe there is a bug that means you have to click the slider twice at one end before it moves. I'm sure it will be fixed. However, to clear up the confusion:

1: It's common forum parlance to describe the sliders ranging from 1-20, with one being the far left and twenty being the far right

2: The team mentality slider has always had two extra notches which override individual settings if you want the whole team to go 'all out attack' or 'all out defence'. For every other slider setting, individual overrides team.

3: The bug is minor and won't affect game play

But is it going to be fixed back to the normal setup of FM08? And can a central point be established please? It gets confusing where the centre is. Is it the cosmetic line or where the slider naturally falls?

I've always hated the sliders anyway, I've just never understood the need. Take mentality for example:- why can't you just choose from "Ultra Defensive", "Defensive","Normal","Attacking",or "Ultra Attacking"? What's wrong with that - why do you need 20-odd options? What's the difference between a 17 Mentality and an 18 Mentality, really?

As an audio engineer I can understand VERY WELL how frustrating it can be when a slider, fader or knob does not work properly. In fact in the business it can be a real pain as every piece of equipment has different settings. Some brands use exponential values on their faders (-40, -20, -10, -5, -2.5, 0, 2.5, 5) and some use linear faders (-40, -30, -20, -10, 0, 10, 20) which makes a huge difference.

Anyway to get on-topic: I find the sliders in FM very weird and unnecessary. I find it ridiculous that you have 20 different values for mentality. As if a manager has to make a decision between 20 different types of mentalities? Come on. I'm guessing most managers either choose between all-out-on-attack, offensive play, offensive play with patience, defensive and the basic "all-in-our-own-box-tactic". I really just can't see the availability of any nuance between those types of play. And if there is, it should be formed by other elements such as passing style and closing down.

I really don't like the way sliders influence your tactics like the way it is now. It gives a VERY inhuman feeling to your tactics.

There shouldn't be more then 6-7 notches for mentality, and it should all be in plain english (or other language)

notch 1 - ultra defansive

notch 2 - defensive

notch 3 - balanced defence

notch 4 - balanced attack

notch 5 - attacking

notch 6 - all out attack

This is a simulation of football, and you dont see Fergouson screaming to Giggs that he should kick it up by 2 notches.

Where do people come up with this -10 and +10?

The sliders for mentality go from 1 to 20. There is no -10 and +10. The only difference is that the team mentality slider has 2 notches extra - ultra defensive and all out attack.

Again a perfect example that this approach is wrong. There should be max. 10 notches for mentality, closing down, passing, and so on, and it should say in text for every notch what it is, so there wouldn't be confusing to some people and it would be more realistic and nicer.

Archived