The FM10 Appreciation Thread

It's 1 o'clock in the morning and I've just had one of the best FM sessions since the wonderful days of FM08. My wife went to bed about an hour and a half ago and I said to her those immortal words, 'okay, I'll be along after just one more game'. :D

As many of you will know, FM and I had a little bit of a falling out last year (during FM09) and I wondered if I would ever have such a deep and meaningful relationship with FM as I did during the 2008 version (which is one of my personal favourites in the series). But FM10 is an awesome game in my opinion and I am falling in love once again.

Some of my main complaints last year were the speed of the game and the responsiveness of the interface. I also felt that the game was lacking in dynamism sometimes and I was a little bit fed up of the media. Some of the jobs, such as setting up new tactics and testing them, plus all those little jobs you have to do when taking over a new side, were becoming a chore.

In FM10, I find improvement in pretty much every area I detailed above. The game is almost as quick as FM08 in terms of processing speeds. The interface is responsive and I actually quite like the dark version of the default skin (something which I haven't been able to say since FM07's default skin). Things like the ability to customise the toolbar at the top of the page, or the ability to customise any view, make the different parts of the game so much more accessible and easy to use.

What I really love is the tactics creator and the tactical shouts. This really is one of the greatest things to happen to the game and this comes from someone who was really sceptical about it and who used to love the sliders. The new creator and shouts have changed the game for me. They've taken the effort out of understanding the sliders and making tactics. Now, the main effort you are required to put into the tactical side of the game is in working out how to build your tactic around the strengths of your team and how to outwit the opposition manager, which is exactly how it should be. Now that I've worked out how the various shouts work, I can easily get what I want tactically out of the different options. This leads to more of a complete experience in my view. I feel that I can really role-play as a manager on the sideline communicating with my players and trying to influence the game. I love having tactical 'tussles' with other managers and when things go right, it can be very satisfying indeed.

I'm still enjoying the 2D Classic mode as it is just my personal preference to use it. This year, I find the 2D Classic looks a little better and seems to be smoother on my machine. I'm pleased that the 2D Classic is still there as an option and I hope it will remain long into the future because I really enjoy that mode.

It's really nice to be able to say that I am addicted to the series again. I'm back to doing press conferences on the toilet and trying to work out the best formation for my team before going to sleep. :D

Now, I really must get back to my lower league 'Calcio Journeyman' game and perfect my 4-2-3-1 system. :cool: Looking forward to starting a save with my beloved Saints in the near future too. :thup:

Share your positive thoughts on FM10 here if you wish to do so, especially any major FM10 sessions and addictions to the new game!

Regards,

C.

This is the first save that I've been able to invest a lot of time into a journeyman save. From Jena, to Sparta, to Albacete so far and I really am in love with the game. I've come across all the alleged ME bugs that people are whining about, yet to me, it's just football when these things happen!

FM10 = Best yet!

Good news nine_iron! I also thoroughly recommend having a read of TT '10 if you want to learn more about football tactics. It really is a brilliant guide and I'm not just saying that because they mentioned me in the credits. (Boast! :p)

(In reality, all I did was some proof reading and a tiny bit of contributing to the formations section. :D)

C.

Although I really enjoyed FM 08 and FM09, this is probably the FM I have like the best thus far! Mostly because I have not been able to find a super tactic for it (unlike 09), and that has motivated me to develop my own tactical ideas and watch the matches in full!! It is not perfect football, but it is fairly entertaining most of the time.

Another great improvement was in the speed, as mentioned by Crouchaldinho!

Some other things are not so up to shape, but is a praise thread and so I should just add, I Love this game!!

This is another strange game for me. As you know C., last years version of the game and myself didn't get on very well either but I had probably my longest ever CM/FM save on that in the 17 years i've been playing...contradiction I know. I think the longevity shown with that game was due to my desperation in wanting to like the game but the frustrations unfortunatley finally got the better of me and I went back to 08 (one of my favourite versions of the game too.)

This years game started off in pretty much the same fashion. I couldn't get used to navigating around the interface, tactics were a nightmare and some of the well documented bugs really frustrated me. I thought that maybe my time with FM had finally come to an end...but, again, I wanted to like FM so much, so decided to persevere with it...and i'm glad I did. I've got used to the interface now which IMO is easy to follow and navigate around now i'm familiar with it and the dark skin is really easy on the eyes and something I like. The new tactics creator and tactical shouts are definitely a step in the right direction and make instructing your players what to do so much easier than "instructing them to play 2 notches from attacking" and "tackle on notch 5" etc. Although some of the 'bugs' (especially the long shot 'bug') still frustrate me slightly, i've learnt to cope with them now and can combat them to a certain extent. I too, like you, watch the games in the classic 2D as 1) 3D, while I understand and appreciate the effort that's gone in to deveoping it, is still too far off, IMO of course and 2) I feel 2D really encapsulates the feeling of watching football. The movement off/on the ball is much better and the first touch is much more realistic...that's how it looks to me anyway.

So, overall i'm really enjoying FM once again and i'd say to anyone...just try to persevere with it and understand it a liitle bit more and you'll fall back in love with the game...just as Crouchy and I have! :D

I pretty much agree with all of your sentiments there, Crouchy. I've actually not played my Knockbreda save for about 5 days :eek: - due to the fact I've really got involved in a decent FM10 save. As you well know, FM09 was not the game for me. I've had many, many discussions with you about the tactical side of FM09, and ultimately it was awful. However, I'm immensely grateful for that, because if FM09 was a decent game, I would never have achieved what I did within FM08.

I completed my first season in FM10 in quite quick time, and am loving the fact you can EASILY customise pretty much any view of the game. I've customised it in FM08 too, but to do that, I had to edit .xml files, and write code myself just to satisfy my needs. I'm a bit bemused though, as I've not seen anyway to customise the "bar at the top of the page" - I've searched everywhere, and nothing. Apart from the processing times, (Due to me being in Tier 10, and Cup days taking an age) - the game is very smooth, and the Interface has really, really grown on me, after me hating it on first view. I really want to get a 40-50 year career out of FM10, and hopefully achieve great things with my Croydon Municipal save. FM10 is most definitely a massive step up from FM09, and I'm loving the game so far.

:thup:

I certainly think perseverance is the key with FM10. Although there are bugs that annoy me, I still think it is by far the best game ever made, and that includes all other football games, and genres, not just FM games.

I love the new tactic creator, especially for the strikers. Before as a small club I would play with a big target man, but never know if it worked properly. Now I can have big Zig (Nikola Zigic) doing the job I want, or Owen as my poacher, Drogba as my complete forward, etc. I LOVE IT!

As for doing press conferences on the toilet, I do them before I go to sleep, at work, walking down the street, everywhere!

It is quite crazy how FM takes over your mind! And also your life, even leading to lots of divorces!

THAT is dedication. Luckily for me, my relationship isn't in jeopardy from Football Manager, but rest assured, FM10 is the 'other woman' in my relationship.

FM - I love you. SI - please keep up the good work!

First off great thread C. I admit I wasn't into FM09 as much as I was in 08 but I think that was down to the tactical side and the fact I couldn't come up with a good tactic and had to resort to downloading them. FM10 has been so much better for me and I've managed to come up with a couple of decent 5-3-2 tactics.

Also I have to stop myself doing press conferences while walking down the street as I tend to do them out loud, but I do them everywhere else.

So here's to SI for creating a game that people can love.

I can't believe the amount of people that do imaginary press conferences! I thought I was the only one! My cousin who loves FM just like me assured me I was mental as he never does it!

Nice to see there are lots of us 'mental' Football Managers about! :thup:

I can't believe the amount of people that do imaginary press conferences! I thought I was the only one! My cousin who loves FM just like me assured me I was mental as he never does it!

Nice to see there are lots of us 'mental' Football Managers about! :thup:

Press conferences have to be done

I'm a bit bemused though, as I've not seen anyway to customise the "bar at the top of the page" - I've searched everywhere, and nothing.

To customise the bar at the top of the page, right-click with your mouse on it rather like you would a tool bar on Firefox or something like that. Up come all of the various options and you can just click on the ones you want.

To clarify, the bar at the top of the page is the one with the icons on it like the squad icon or the tactics icon. The quick links bar, I think it might be called.

C.

FM10 is the only recent version i have brought on the release date, and i can honestly say, i love it. It has been enjoyable and playable from the start.

Im currently enjoying a newcastle save. Won promotion and got us into the champs league! who knows, maybe ill win the title in another season or two.

A big :thup: from me for FM10.

I also love this verson. But in the future I really think SI should scrap the 3D and concerntrate on making the core game better. I was happy with the 2d blobs

Im not so sure. This years 3-d still has room for improvement but is far better than 3-d on 09. It should be worked on in future and i fully expect it to be better in 11, 12 etc. Its more of an evolutionary thing, remember the 2-d wasn't quite so polished when it first made an appearance.

Im loving FM10. Its putting the playabilty back into the game for me. Im a busy man with my time shared between working full time nights, kids and wife, but this game has the ability that 09 never had. The ability to be able to flip through 2-3 games quite quickly.

Crouchy, You want to watch that this thread doesn't either a) get trolled or b) get closed "so as not to antagonise people having problems with the game".

To customise the bar at the top of the page, right-click with your mouse on it rather like you would a tool bar on Firefox or something like that. Up come all of the various options and you can just click on the ones you want.

To clarify, the bar at the top of the page is the one with the icons on it like the squad icon or the tactics icon. The quick links bar, I think it might be called.

C.

Awesome sauce, cheers dude.

I've tried all the FM versions since FM 06. I bought the 06, and I'll admit to pirating of the 07 and 08 version, neither really dug it for me. I've had bad conscience so I bought 09 on a whim and I didn't like it. It was simply too hardcore now, too much sliderspeak for someone who started out with CM 01/02.

I thought that I'd never again have the feeling I had with CM 01/02 but I do. I really enjoy the game, but it IS hard. You have to constantly tweak your tactics if you wanna be a good manager, since I am not starting the game with a high-rep, rich club but I took a lowly division 2 team. And now I am managing them as a stable mid-table team in the top division and it's hard to go up with the top4. But, the challenge makes it so rewarding.

I find myself thinking about FM 10 in all sorts of situations and I am no longer bored when in queue or similar settings. There's always that new tactic, that new player and thinking of the fixtures to ponder about. I love it. But it's so addictive, I have to balance my studies too!

I've tried all the FM versions since FM 06. I bought the 06, and I'll admit to pirating of the 07 and 08 version, neither really dug it for me. I've had bad conscience so I bought 09 on a whim and I didn't like it. It was simply too hardcore now, too much sliderspeak for someone who started out with CM 01/02.

I thought that I'd never again have the feeling I had with CM 01/02 but I do. I really enjoy the game, but it IS hard. You have to constantly tweak your tactics if you wanna be a good manager, since I am not starting the game with a high-rep, rich club but I took a lowly division 2 team. And now I am managing them as a stable mid-table team in the top division and it's hard to go up with the top4. But, the challenge makes it so rewarding.

I find myself thinking about FM 10 in all sorts of situations and I am no longer bored when in queue or similar settings. There's always that new tactic, that new player and thinking of the fixtures to ponder about. I love it. But it's so addictive, I have to balance my studies too!

Doh! :D You didn't want to admit that did you?

Crackers, absolutely crackers! You just wouldn't admit to something like that would you.

My name's Phil, and I'm an FMaholic.

I believe FM10 is the best FM to date.

I had a nervous breakdown last year, so I'm still unable to work at the moment, and I'm single, which means I have an enormous excess of free time alone with my PC.

FM10 has been almost my every waking moment since the day of release.

I'm 34, have a B.Sc.(hons) in Music Technology (2:1) and 4 years experience working as a Technical Engineer for two of the UK's most high-profile music recording studios.

One day I hope to work for S.I. in some role which involves me playing FM all day every day, then assisting in improvements by liaising with the programmers.

If such a role exists, please let me know, S.I., and where to send my C.V.

FM is my God.

WOW :eek: around 15 people appreciate FM10, amazing :eek:

Great thread Crouchy it has really taken off

Regards

Me ;)

Make it 16 - haven't played since about 05 I think (which I did play a lot). I don't think the missus expected to become a FM widow when she moved in...

Well done SI on rediscovering my interest - I'm taking Walsall to the top of the Premiership (again), before getting frustrated with the lack of finances (again) and jumping ship to a mid table Championship team who've just been relegated (again - always seems to be Bolton), then taking them to the top of the Premiership and the Champions league.

Should keep me goiing till the summer... :D

Well when memory leaks and regens are fixed it would be the most godly FM ever, but sadly only the editor is what I can do for now. But I appreciate the editor and the speed of the game that is like 5x faster than FM09 for me. But I want LONG careers, I don't give a crap about playing big team for 3 seasons and that's all I can do now.

All these damn whining threads make me sic........... oh...... this is different......... hmmmmm interesting. There actualy appears to be someone else enjoying the game other than me :)

hear hear Sir!

Great post and spot on in so many aspects

This really is one of the greatest things to happen to the game and this comes from someone who was really sceptical about it and who used to love the sliders

lol.... didn't we have a 'chat' on this? I recall saying the same thing and you assured me it was a good thing...... ;)

LAM

Crouchy thank you for creating this thread :)

I'm sick of seeing thread titles critiscising the game and SI

Its about time we had an appreciation thread :thup:

People criticise the game because it's the biggest load of old balderdash ever to have graced a PC or laptop.

SI deserve to be hung for what they've done :thdn:

wink

Ha Wee Aja, I know your ruse! ;)

I think things have been getting steadily better. Fm 05 was the first one I remember well. Then I didn't really do good saves from then. 09 got me back in it with Staines in Dafuge's challenge. Pity they got promoted irl :(

Now this has me hooked. I have 2 saves on the go and a 3rd I have planned.

I believe this will be the best ever once we see the bugs ironed out for me the ability to add leagues moved FM2010 to best ever. I firmly believe this was the biggest move even more than the game going 3D. As it made the game more flexible in an area which was hardwired.

It meant it would stop the requests for more leagues this country etc which was perenial on these boards. Now simply Just do it yourself or download them of the web.

I dont know what rabbit can be pulled out next for Si to eclipse 3D with own league setup maybe a linkup with PROZONE I just dont know.

Si got to be applauded for opening the game.

Ha Wee Aja, I know your ruse! ;)

I think things have been getting steadily better. Fm 05 was the first one I remember well. Then I didn't really do good saves from then. 09 got me back in it with Staines in Dafuge's challenge. Pity they got promoted irl :(

Now this has me hooked. I have 2 saves on the go and a 3rd I have planned.

Can you put your finger on what exactly has got you back into the series minisav?

I believe this will be the best ever once we see the bugs ironed out for me the ability to add leagues moved FM2010 to best ever. I firmly believe this was the biggest move even more than the game going 3D. As it made the game more flexible in an area which was hardwired.

It meant it would stop the requests for more leagues this country etc which was perenial on these boards. Now simply Just do it yourself or download them of the web.

I dont know what rabbit can be pulled out next for Si to eclipse 3D with own league setup maybe a linkup with PROZONE I just dont know.

Si got to be applauded for opening the game.

Funnily enough, the competition editor is the one thing that has provided a little bit of disappointment for me, as I cannot quite achieve all that I want with it. However, I agree that it is a step in the right direction and I'm sure that it will improve in the future.

For me, the real revolution is the tactics creator and shouts. It's the most important step the game has taken in recent years (far more important than 3D). It has changed the emphasis of the game for the better and I am having a lot of fun designing tactics and battling it out with the AI now. :cool:

Regards,

C.

@Crouchaldinho. I'm not entirely sure. I did start to actually succeed so maybe that has helped :p

I have started using patches as of 09 so maybe that has something to do with it.

CSE has also helped as the community is pretty good over there and it fuels my desire to do better on my challenge attempt :)

May I just say that FM10 is a fantastic game. Love it - I havent been so immersed since FM08 :D

However I must say (playing devils advocate) why is it that the so called whiners and moaners can completely leave this thread alone and get on with the conversation and be happy, however when an unhappy thread appears the FM appreciators feel the need to get involved.... :confused:

Maybe this forum would have a lot less thread closures if the unhappy threads were left to be unhappy, and the happy threads were left to be happy? :)

Again .....just playing devils advocate..

Happy to be involved in a happy thread :)

May I just say that FM10 is a fantastic game. Love it - I havent been so immersed since FM08 :D

However I must say (playing devils advocate) why is it that the so called whiners and moaners can completely leave this thread alone and get on with the conversation and be happy, however when an unhappy thread appears the FM appreciators feel the need to get involved.... :confused:

Maybe this forum would have a lot less thread closures if the unhappy threads were left to be unhappy, and the happy threads were left to be happy? :)

Again .....just playing devils advocate..

Happy to be involved in a happy thread :)

I think, with the broken threads, most people try to help others get the nest out of their games.

I think, with the broken threads, most people try to help others get the nest out of their games.

I definitely agree with that. However we all know there is no helping someone when they are in a rage/rant. I just leave them alone and have a good read of the thread whilst chuckling to myself.

If I feel they are open to suggestions then I will try and help :)

Archived