Ridiculous Cup draws?

This is only the latest save i've had this gripe, but come on!

I'm Liverpool:

Carling Cup 3rd Round: Everton (when there were plenty teams from L1 and CH in the draw)

Carling Cup 4th Round: Arsenal

Carling Cup Quarter: Man United

Carling Cup Semi: Chelsea

FA Cup 3rd Round: Sunderland

Champions League 1st Knockout Round: AC Milan

I don't think i've ever had a L1 opposition in any cup draw...ever

Was there not an issue reported about cup draws that was being looked into?

Pretty sure I remember someone posting their cup draws over ten seasons and it showed that they were always given the biggest 'local' team. I.e. they were Liverpool and they nearly always got Man City, Man Utd, Everton, Tranmere etc.

Was there not an issue reported about cup draws that was being looked into?

Pretty sure I remember someone posting their cup draws over ten seasons and it showed that they were always given the biggest 'local' team. I.e. they were Liverpool and they nearly always got Man City, Man Utd, Everton, Tranmere etc.

That was an issue early on that was fixed with a patch, I think it was 9.2.0.

This is only the latest save i've had this gripe, but come on!

I'm Liverpool:

Carling Cup 3rd Round: Everton (when there were plenty teams from L1 and CH in the draw)

Carling Cup Quarter: Man United

Carling Cup Semi: Chelsea

FA Cup 3rd Round: Sunderland

Champions League 1st Knockout Round: AC Milan

I don't think i've ever had a L1 opposition in any cup draw...ever

mine is exactly the same!! im liverpool and i ALWAYS get the hardest teams... ive never had an easy match. its sooo annoying, it MUST be a bug.

Drawing a big team in a cup is much more memorable than drawing some CC1-team. When thinking back the hard matches (and years where Chelsea kicked you out of the cup in 3rd round) is what you remember the best.

It's easy to be fooled by your own memory when thinking back, and the year that you drew the big four one after the other doesn't really prove anything, other than your bad luck that year. Not saying that this isn't a "real" issue, but check and doublecheck the fixtures over a number of years before assuming there's something fishy going on

In fact, I've just opened up my Blackburn save to check out the cup draws (latest patch);

League Cup Round 2 - Bolton

Round 3 - Man City

Round 4 - Blackpool

FA CUP Round 3 - Liverpool

Round 4 - Everton or Man City

Still looks fishy to me.

Drawing a big team in a cup is much more memorable than drawing some CC1-team. When thinking back the hard matches (and years where Chelsea kicked you out of the cup in 3rd round) is what you remember the best.

It's easy to be fooled by your own memory when thinking back, and the year that you drew the big four one after the other doesn't really prove anything, other than your bad luck that year. Not saying that this isn't a "real" issue, but check and doublecheck the fixtures over a number of years before assuming there's something fishy going on

To be honest, i think that first bit is nonsense. I've played many different saves with teams from England (L1, Championship and Premiership) and Italy (Serie B and A) and always had this problem. So much so that it would be MUCH more 'memorable' for me to draw a side in a lower division.

In fact, i'll go check a couple of my previous saves...

Man City: (1st Season)

Carling Cup 3rd Round: Sunderland

Carling Cup 4th Round: Liverpool

Carling Cup Quarter: Blackburn

Spurs (1st Season)

Carling Cup 3rd Round: Sunderland

Carling Cup Quarter: Blackburn (lost)

FA Cup 3rd Round: Wigan

FA Cup 4th Round: Arsenal

FA Cup 5th Round: Aston Villa

FA Cup 6th Round: Blackburn

FA Cup Semi: Man City (lost)

Spurs (2nd Season)

Carling Cup 3rd Round: Wolves

Torino (1st Season in Serie B)

Italian Cup 3rd Qualifying round: Ascoli (Also in Serie B)

Italian Cup 4th Qualifying Round: Cagliari (from Serie A) Lost

Torino (2nd Season, got promoted to Serie A)

Italian Cup 3rd Qualifying Round: Monza (Serie B)

Italian Cup 4th Qualifying Round: Parma (Serie A)

Italian Cup 1st Round: Fiorentian (lost)

Torino (3rd Season)

Italian Cup 3rd Qualifying Round: Taranto (ok, 1 non-league team)

Italian Cup 4th Qualifying Round: Reggina (Serie A)

Italian Cup 1st Round: Udinese (lost)

So, after that very dull exercise, and a snapshot into a few of my saves, i think it's safe to say that i've been screwed over by the draw in pretty much every domestic cup competition, and believe me it's the same in all the saves i didn't go through a post here.

When managing Liverpool, I do get drawn away against Premiership teams an awful lot tbh, but I just grin and bear it. What else can you do?

Complain like a baby on internet forums a month before the new game is out and hope that there's enough time for the game makers to pander to everyone's individual whims?

I know that's what i'd do!

:D:D

(Anyone not getting the sarcasm above can GTFO)

The Carling Cup 3rd round usually has a high proportion of PL teams in it, so an all PL tie is not that unusual.

As for the FA Cup, here's who I have drawn in the 3rd round recently:

2035/36 - Cammel Laird - L2

2034/35 - Stoke - Ch

2033/34 - Chelsea - PL

2032/33 - Tottenham - PL

2031/32 - Preston - Ch

2030/31 - Millwall - Ch

2029/30 - Blackpool - Ch

2028/29 - Blackburn - Ch

2027/28 - Gainsborough - L1

2026/27 - WBA - Ch

2025/26 - Carlisle - Ch

2024/25 - Gateshead - BSN

2023/24 - Gillingham - Ch

2022/23 - Charlton - L1

2021/22 - Watford - Ch

2020/21 - Stockport - L1

Looks like a fairly decent spread to me.

Mine in my current save in the first season was

FA Cup - Chelsea...away

League Cup - Chelsea...away

Champions League QF - Chelsea.

Quite pathetic and very infuriating.

But by posting this I assume you just want to share your fate with us, or do you actually think there is something wrong with the game?

It should be obvious enough that this is not coded in any way, just chance. The people having streaks of luck just don't come on here to post it.

But by posting this I assume you just want to share your fate with us, or do you actually think there is something wrong with the game?

It should be obvious enough that this is not coded in any way, just chance. The people having streaks of luck just don't come on here to post it.

Its been proven there was something wrong with the game pre patch. I dont think its been fixed fully.

It still never seemed right to me and certainly not a random team.

Its obvious that you dont have a clue because it was coded that way and maybe still is coded that way.

Its been proven there was something wrong with the game pre patch. I dont think its been fixed fully.

It still never seemed right to me and certainly not a random team.

Its obvious that you dont have a clue because it was coded that way and maybe still is coded that way.

Watch your language, honey. It makes you look stupid when being wrong and you don't want that, do you?

See above, as you said.

There was a problem with draws pre patch. It is said to fixed and I haven't seen evidence that it isn't. Even if it wasn't fixed, the problem you talk about is completely unrelated to the issue of this thread. thus no need for screening the forum for evidence.

The problem was that cup draws for some reason always tied local groups of teams together which was obviously a coding error.

In here we talk about being drawn against strong opponents only.

Oh, that's a hard fate. And how we cry when it happens. Yet, this thread contains no evidence that this is coded in the game. And if you ask me, that's for obvious reasons. It isn't.

It just happens that you sometimes / some people always get hard teams to play against in cups. Others don't, end of story.

Do you believe that if that was not an off thing to happen, as off as it was if it happened continously irl, this forum wouldn't have been full of posts about it for months and months? All those with easy draws or a usual mix don't come on here to post.

So my point is, unless I see more evidence, this thread either contains a useless conspiracy theory or a useless whinge about oh how bad luck one can have with cup draws. In neither case I'm going to runandjump the bandwagon.

As soon as someone gives me a reason to doubt that everything is fine with the cup draws in that respect, I'll happily support any claim for it to be fixed.

I'm not one to moan (hehe) but I do think there is something pretty suspect about cup draws. Its got to the point where I can actually predict what kind of opponent I am going to be drawn against.

For instance in the first round of the FA Cup I quickly scanned through the clubs in the draw and saw 90% could be seen as "good draws" in comparison to my team. However, against this 9/10 chance I get drawn AWAY against a top three L1 team (bearing in mind this is the highest league in Round 1). Ok they wern't top but on futher inspection they had the best home record in the league by far. This is just one example but as I said now, before cup draws, I have a look round for what could be seen as the worst case draws based on form and league position and it is nearly always one of these teams.

Got mixed up with FA cup, Premier League teams go in second rather than third. Nevermind me.

Do you know how long the second round has been seeded? Only noticed it this year.

Pretty sure it has been like that for as long as I can remember, may be wrong though.

What do you think is wrong with it?

Ill ignore the kid but you always seemed to draw someone you were playing anyway so you played them twice in a row or if it was 2 legs, 3 games out of 4. I know its been discussed but this happened every season for me.

The draw also seemed too "exciting", I would often draw other London clubs especially ones who were in the prem.

It just never seemed truly random as it should

I was Man Utd in the 3rd season and I was paired up with Arsenal in the FA Cup, League Cup and Europe KO.

Later on in the year I remember playing them nearly 3 times in a row (thanks to the premiership) if it wasnt for another premiership team breaking it up.

Sun. 4.4.2010 Palermo H Serie A

Wed. 7.4.2010 Inter H Ch. League

Sat. 10.4.2010 Lazio A Serie A

Tue. 13.4.2010 Inter A Ch. League

Sun. 18.4.2010 Inter H Serie A

Wed. 21.4.2010 Palermo A Coppa Italia

6 big matches in 17 days :D and 3 time Inter hehe

I'm into my sixth season playing in Scottish lower leagues with Albion Rovers (finally got promoted to Second Division in fifth season), and I have never in six seasons have had a home game in the Scottish Cups. All games against better teams, all of them away.

I have been playing Chesterfield for over 20 years and 6/7 cup draws on 10 I was drawn against the fierce stronger rival of " Ipswich " ..........

A reiterate coincidence among 20 years of something different ?

Mostly get Prem sides or mid-table champ sides. Have got lower a few times though. With that and the habit of getting drawn with sides close to when you play them in a league game (or even on the same day, as once a league game with Arsenal was rearranged to accomodate a cup game with the same team), it's been clear for a while the cup draws aren't perfect, but its something I'm learned to get used to.

Do you all assume that human teams are treated differently than AI teams during the draws? If not, then surely the logic of "I always face hard opposition" cannot be true for everyone.

And if human teams are indeed treated differently, my thought is "why?". Why would SI put something like that in the game?

I thought i was being really unlucky with the draws but looking at this it doesn't seem so bad.

This is how my draws have gone with Spurs:

08/09

FA Cup

3rd: West Brom

4th: Leeds

5th: Chelsea

6th: Middlesbrough

Semi Final: Man City

Final: Arsenal

League Cup

3rd: Peterborough

4th: Chelsea

Quarter Final: N/A

Semi Final: N/A

Final: N/A

Champions League

Group Stage: N/A

1st Knockout Round: N/A

09/10

FA Cup

3rd: Charlton

4th: Chelsea

5th: Wolves

6th: Everton

Semi Final: Aston Villa

League Cup

3rd: Reading

4th: Man U

Quarter Final: Middlesborough

Semi Final: Arsenal

Final: Blackburn

Champions League

Group Stage: N/A

1st Knockout Round: N/A

Final:

10/11

FA Cup

3rd: Derby

4th: Liverpool

5th: N/A

6th: N/A

League Cup

3rd: Leeds

4th: Birmingham

Quarter Final: Arsenal

Champions League

Group Stage: Juventus, Porto, Lech

1st Knockout Round: Benfica

11/12

FA Cup

3rd: Bolton

4th: Everton

5th: Sheff Wed

6th: Leeds

League Cup

3rd: Arsenal

4th: Everton

Quarter Final: Wolves

Semi Final: Liverpool

Final: Man Utd

Champions League

Group Stage: Juventus, Zenit, Feyenoord

1st Knockout Round: Celtic

Quarter Final: Real Madrid

12/13

FA Cup

3rd: Morecambe

4th: Swansea

5th: Arsenal

6th: Newcastle

Semi Final: Chelsea

Final: Liverpool

League Cup

3rd: Wrexham

4th: Man Utd

Champions League

Group Stage: Valencia, HSV, AZ

1st Knockout Round: Juventus

Quarter Final: Real Madrid

Semi Final: Barcelona

13/14

FA Cup

3rd: Preston

4th: Wolves

5th: Wigan

6th: West Brom

Semi Final: Reading

League Cup

4th: Peterborough

Quarter Final: Man Utd

Champions League

Group Stage: Sevilla, Zenit, Dinamo

1st Knockout Round: Porto

Quarter Final: FC Bayern

14/15

FA Cup

4th: Blackburn

5th: Wigan

6th: Aston Villa

League Cup

3rd: Middlesborough

4th: Burnley

Quarter Final: Wigan

Final: Newcastle

Champions League

Group Stage: Celtic, Partizan, Legia

1st Knockout Round: Schalke

Quarter Final: Benfica

Semi Final: Newcastle

15/16

FA Cup

3rd: Man City

4th: Liverpool

5th: West Brom

6th: Burnley

League Cup

3rd: Man Utd

4th: Wigan

Quarter Final: Liverpool

Champions League

Group Stage: Zaragoza, Sporting CP, Genoa

1st Knockout Round: Porto

16/17

FA Cup

3rd: Liverpool

4th: Oldham

5th: Leeds

6th: Reading

Semi Final: Man City

League Cup

3rd: Brighton

4th: Barnsley

Quarter Final: Derby

Champions League

Group Stage: Inter, Bordeaux, AZ

1st Knockout Round: Lyon

17/18

FA Cup

3rd: Arsenal

4th: West Brom

5th: Norwich

6th: Everton

Final: Man Utd

League Cup

3rd: Man Utd

4th: Reading

Final: Wolves

Champions League

Group Stage: FC Bayern, Galatasaray, Austria Wien

1st Knockout Round: Shakhtar

Quarter Final: Newcastle

Final: Lyon

Apologies for the long post.

Do you all assume that human teams are treated differently than AI teams during the draws? If not, then surely the logic of "I always face hard opposition" cannot be true for everyone.

And if human teams are indeed treated differently, my thought is "why?". Why would SI put something like that in the game?

To make it more exciting for the user. Its clear they are being treated differently or there would have been nothing to fix in the patch.

There was an issue but it did get fixed in the patch. In my Billericay save, local teams always played each other before I patched it.

Here's my FA Cup run from League One last season (2025/6).

First Round - Hartlepool United (Conference) away

Second Round - Charlton Athletic (League One) home

Third Round - Rotherham United (League One) home

Fourth Round - Hull City (League One) home

Fifth Round - Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) away

I did luck out, but it's certainly not fixed by the seem of things. And only the Charlton match can be deemed anything remotely like a local match.

It could be some sort of error in coding or a bug of sorts but either way SI acknowledged that something was dodgy and needed fixing hence the patch update.

Archived