Regen from an Uninhabited Island?

Plymouth may be deserted, but Montserrat isn't. And Plymouth is still it's "capitol" - and was the only settlement on the island that could be called a "city". So if the regen's parents are still listed as inhabitants of Plymouth ... not so strange, really.

Plymouth may be deserted, but Montserrat isn't. And Plymouth is still it's "capitol" - and was the only settlement on the island that could be called a "city". So if the regen's parents are still listed as inhabitants of Plymouth ... not so strange, really.

So he was born in a abandoned city and you dont fint that strange?

So if someone spots a regen coming from Prypiat, Ukraine that also isnt strange?

So he was born in a abandoned city and you dont fint that strange?

So if someone spots a regen coming from Prypiat, Ukraine that also isnt strange?

You are "from" the city where your parents are listed as citizens, not where you're actually born - untill you officially take citizenship elsewhere.So no, I don't find it that strange. If you later take up - officially - citizenship in another city or place, then that's another matter. What I suspect happened here, is that some of the refugees from Plymouth, Montserrat are still listed as citizens of Plymouth, Montserrat - even though they don't live there anymore and are now located other places on Montserrat.

Pripyat: Depends on whether anyone is still listed as citizens of Pripyat. Could be, but I doubt that. That tragedy happened 26 years ago, so I bet everyone from there are now officially citizens elsewhere.

You are "from" the city where your parents are listed as citizens, not where you're actually born - untill you officially take citizenship elsewhere.So no, I don't find it that strange. If you later take up - officially - citizenship in another city or place, then that's another matter. What I suspect happened here, is that some of the refugees from Plymouth, Montserrat are still listed as citizens of Plymouth, Montserrat - even though they don't live there anymore and are now located other places on Montserrat.

The screenshot quite specifically states 'Place of Birth' though, meaning he was literally born in Plymouth.

Is that in FM only or in real life and in certain countries?

To my knowledge, this is universally practised around the globe. Depends on how good the book-keeping is, I suppose. It's where the books says you live, that counts - not where you actually live.

I was not born in the same city (or place) that my parents lived in and was officially citizens of. My birth certificate does not name the city I was actually born in, as place of birth - but names the city my parents were citizens of at the time.

Pripyat: Depends on whether anyone is still listed as citizens of Pripyat. Could be, but I doubt that. That tragedy happened 26 years ago, so I bet everyone from there are now officially citizens elsewhere.

So your BIRTH city is not where you are born?.. makes sense :rolleyes:

And what happens if your parents arent from the same city.. can my birthplace be London and Paris at the same time? - even if I'm actually born in Berlin? If this is the case in the game, real life or outer space it needs to be changed.. it makes absolutely no sense at all.. its like when people say you are part of your parents' religion.. No I'm not! - likewise my birthplace is NOT the cities from which my parents origin.. no matter what country or game says.. :)

Where your parents are "from" doesn't matter - what matters is where the official records says they live. If they are citizens of 2 places at once - well, this is rare, isn't it? I'm sure the official book-keepers will find a solution ;)

To my knowledge, this is universally practised around the globe. Depends on how good the book-keeping is, I suppose. It's where the books says you live, that counts - not where you actually live.

I was not born in the same city (or place) that my parents lived in and was officially citizens of. My birth certificate does not name the city I was actually born in, as place of birth - but names the city my parents were citizens of at the time.

My birth certificate says "Borders General Hospotial, Melrose" (imagine that would go down as Galashiels in the game) and also had my parents address' which at the time was in Kelso. So my birth certificate names both. Are you saying i was born in two different places?

Well, maybe I am mistaken in believing that the practise is pretty much the same all over the world then, wardog. Where I live, the records show my birthplace as the one where my parents lived when I was born, not the hospital where I was actually born - which was in another city.

Anyway - my point was just that a regen listed as having Plymouth, Montserrat as a birthplace, may not be so strange as it seems at first sight. In the end, it all comes down to what the official records say. It could be that this particular regen's parents once lived in Plymouth, Montserrat - but they had to flee and be refugees in another place, but haven't been entered in the records as having changed citizenship yet. Officially, they then still live in Plymouth. If they then have a child, that child will naturally have the same citizenship as it's parents. Maybe. It's a plausible explanation, in my view.

Although I know citing wikipedia is a sin (at least in an academic context), here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_of_birth

According to this the place of birth is, in fact, the place of birth and not the place your parents live. It may be wrong, of course, but its the best source I can find..

thomit: I guess the following is what you're talking about: "In other countries, e.g. in Sweden since 1947, there is a concept of födelsehemort ("domicile of birth"), which means that the domicile of the baby's mother is the registered place of birth.[1] The location of the maternity ward or other physical birthplace is considered unimportant."

Was just curious as i deal with passports all the time and it always states where they were born. Not where they say they are from.

I'm not from the place i was born. I have yet to see anything different.

Birth certificates, however, i can't say too much about. Haven't got the slightest clue about that one.

My birth certificate names the hospital I was born in as well, and I class the town I was born in as my "hometown" and "place of birth" regardless of where I live now or where my parents were citizens of. Must be a UK thing as postal postie says.

Very funny find though - does anyone know if Prypiat is listed in the database? I've never looked at cities in the editor so not sure if there's an option to make a city 'abandoned' but if not then it's very plausible that regens could be listed as Prypiat babies!

Although I know citing wikipedia is a sin (at least in an academic context), here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_of_birth

According to this the place of birth is, in fact, the place of birth and not the place your parents live. It may be wrong, of course, but its the best source I can find..

thomit: I guess the following is what you're talking about: "In other countries, e.g. in Sweden since 1947, there is a concept of födelsehemort ("domicile of birth"), which means that the domicile of the baby's mother is the registered place of birth.[1] The location of the maternity ward or other physical birthplace is considered unimportant."

This. I'm also scandinavian, and that's how it's done here. I didn't know you did things differently in the UK. What the practice is on Montserrat, though, I don't know.

I think he was left behind when his parents legged it. Probably grew up with only his football for company.

Did you sign him?

Do you think he named his football Wilson but lost it when he escaped to become a professional footballer? "WILSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!"

Monserrat is a UK overseas territory, so there is a chance it follows the same guidlines and regulations as Great Britain and N. Ireland. Doesn't always follow like that though, as I know many de facto independent states change governing rules to fit their situation.

When was his birth date btw? Any chance he could have been born before the volcano erupted?

Archived