PPM "Plays way out of trouble" negative or positive ?!

Is following PPM negative or positive ?

PPM: "Plays way out of trouble"

Dutch translation = "Trapt bal onder druk blind weg" = A player can't resist to pressure and just shoots away the ball when he's under pressure (so it sounds like a negative PPM)

but some people say it's a positive PPM, is it wrongly translated or what ?!

Plays way out of trouble is actually the opposite of what your dutch translation says. It means that a player will try to either carry the ball himself out of danger, or try to find a good passing option - NOT just to blast the ball up the field. Good or bad PPM; depends on the player - does he have the necessary decision and composure stats to use this PPM effectively? Also depends on what style of football you play - it would be a natural way of playing at Arsenal or Barcelona, maybe not so good with teams that play a direct or long ball passing game.

It depends how you look at it. If its a defender then I'd say somebody like Rio Ferdinand would have that PPM but it doesnt make him a bad defender. On the other hand, somebody like Nemanja Vidic is a no nonesense defender who would just smash it clear, again not a bad defender.

Obviously it depens on the players stats as to wether or not they are suited to that PPM. If you take real life examples for attacking players I'd say players like Joe Cole may have this PPM but often needlessly loses possesion in dangerous areas but players like Wayne Rooney do it quite often and do it well.

So the Dutch translation is absolutely wrong...

For an attacking player this sounds like a very negative PPM, but in fact it's a positive one, because it means the player can resist to pressure...

It depends on the player and the situation. Sometimes a player is more composed and confident and believes he can play his way out of trouble rather than needlessly hoof the ball out into row Z when it isnt needed (Rio Ferdinand). Some players will choose to get rid of the ball and put it safe nine out of 10 times (Vidic/Terry/Carragher).

Every weekend we see player try to play out of trouble and lose the ball and the other team score or create a scoring opportunity. People shout why dont they just put the ball out. On the other hand we see other players play out of trouble and the commentator adds another player to his ever growing 'world class' list.

At the end of the day, when its works its great. When it doesnt the player looks like a lemon and gets told to go back to basics.

It's positive for DC's.

Not necessarily....I mean I would hate it if someone like Vidic had this PPM especially if the opposition had a striker like Olic with an incredible work rate because it could be a lot of trouble for you.

also relies on the quality of players around that player. I'd agree that Rio Ferdinand would be the sort of player to have "plays his way out of trouble" as a PPM but whilst he may have the ability to play his way out of trouble, it could well have a negative effect if his defensive partner was someone less able and therefore more likely to mess things up once Ferdinand gave him the ball

• 1 year later...

What criteria do you need to teach this PPM? I have a few centre backs that already have it though have only ever seen the option available once to teach this to another player. From what i have seen its a big factor in playing an attractive style of football and out of pressure at the back, but obviously you need composed technical players who can utilise it without making mistakes too.

What is weird is that this skill is really just a very specific instance of something the Decisions attribute should preempt, right?

If you have poor Decisions skill, then you'll try this at the wrong time, with or without the PPM. If you have a strong Decisions skill, then you'll do this when appropriate, even if you don't have the PPM.

I suppose the only difference is that players with the PPM will just do it more often no matter what?

Which is why I've always viewed this as a negative PPM. A good player would do it when appropriate without the PPM.

So the Dutch translation is absolutely wrong...

For an attacking player this sounds like a very negative PPM, but in fact it's a positive one, because it means the player can resist to pressure...

it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I can prefer to play my way out of trouble. That is, if under pressure, i prefer to try and keep possession instead of knocking the ball out of play and allow my team mates to regroup. Doesn't mean i can. I could be rubbish at it and constantly play my team into trouble.

conversely, i could be really good at it and always succeed, keeping possession in the process. Its up to the individual players stats (ball control, skill, etc) as to how well they perform this PPM.

Haha, strange one!!!

In my opinion: To get his team out of trouble he will try lots of fancy footwork, in defensive areas, when under pressure.

It's positive if it works!!!!

Negatiev if it doesn't...

This........

Ultimately I think it depends on the player and the situation. Sometimes clearing the ball into touch is the best thing to do but if your player is good enough to squeeze himself out of trouble more often than not then the PPM has its benefits

What is weird is that this skill is really just a very specific instance of something the Decisions attribute should preempt, right?

If you have poor Decisions skill, then you'll try this at the wrong time, with or without the PPM. If you have a strong Decisions skill, then you'll do this when appropriate, even if you don't have the PPM.

I suppose the only difference is that players with the PPM will just do it more often no matter what?

Which is why I've always viewed this as a negative PPM. A good player would do it when appropriate without the PPM.

Its not something players will do a great deal without the PPM. You can definitely see with composed centre backs that they do far less clearances when under pressure, though with a very capable centre back you will see them keep the ball and play out of the full on pressing the AI loves to do game after game. Its like most other PPM's i.e tries killer balls, you can instruct a player to play through balls often but the passes they attempt are far more of a typical 'killer ball' when they have the PPM. I have Marc Barta and Vegard Forren at the back in the championship with Forest and can play out of just about any press, i will definitely be making this PPM and type of centre back a priority in any future signings or files.

What criteria do you need to teach this PPM? I have a few centre backs that already have it though have only ever seen the option available once to teach this to another player. From what i have seen its a big factor in playing an attractive style of football and out of pressure at the back, but obviously you need composed technical players who can utilise it without making mistakes too.

Just because it seems everyone missed it, this 2 year old thread got bumped to ask this question (how can I teach the PPM). The "is it good" discussion died 2 years ago.

I don't know the answer, but it seems everyone has missed that this is a necro thread with a new question tagged on.

Archived