FM10 : What Team Should I Be Thread

Not sure which team to be? Or just looking for ideas for a new game? Or maybe you just want to know the pros & cons of a particular team. This thread should give you a good idea with an insight into clubs. Post away and please stick to the below format:

Club:

Division:

Transfer Budget:

Board Expectation:

Key Players:

Pros:

Cons:

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard):

Additional Information:

Cheers! :thup:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club: Espanyol

Division: La Liga

Transfer Budget: 2.6-3.8m

Board Expectation: at least top 10

Key Players: Nakamura, Tamudo, Luis Garcia

Pros: Erm.. It's a challenge?

Cons: Lots of average players who aren't good enough to accomplish the boards demands and who are also very difficult to sell!

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 7.5

Additional Information:

Club: Newcastle

Division: Championship

Transfer Budget: £0 (70% of sales kept)

Board Expectation: 1st

Key Players: Jonas, Collichini, Ameobi (i exspect)

Pros: Will Win Championship hands down and you get to rebuild a whole club.

Cons: no transfer money, very small squad, Mike Ashley will steal your lunch money

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 4 (ive never promoted a club to prem before might be harder)

Additional Information: if your lucky some FATCAT will take over and Mike Ashley will be flippin burgers in Mcdonalds

This thread is weird. Can't it be like last year that people just post their question/dilemma or whatever and then people try to give them suggestions?

Is the template meant for people looking for a team, or for the people giving suggestions..?

Club: Aston Villa

Division: EPL

Transfer Budget: £2.9m at least

Board Expectation: Top half at least

Key Players: Ashley Young, James Milner, Gabby, Richard Dunne.

Pros: Good, Young, Mainly english sqaud.

Cons: Not much money due to summer transfers, high expectations.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6 - due to low money, and teams like Man City, Spurs becoming good!

Additional Information: Try and bring the villa up to top class standards.

Well, I'll post a recommendation as well

Club: Man City

Division: EPL

Transfer Budget: £55m-£79m

Board Expectation: European Qualification

Key Players: Gareth Barry, Kolo Toure, Adebayor, Tevez, Ireland, Given

Pros: Loads of money, quality players from the start, promising youngsters

Cons: High expectations season two and onwards, needs to be incredibly successful in Europe.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 3 - with all the money and quality players it's not very difficult. Set yourself an aim of winning The Quadruple to give yourself a real challenge!

Additional Information: You can win the leauge, but can you dominate Europe as well?

Club: Hull City

Division: Premier League

Transfer Budget: £5.5m - £7m

Board Expectation: Survive Relegation

Key Players: Geovanni, Jimmy Bullard, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Jozy Altidore.

Pros: Big transfer budget for a small club with low expectations.

Cons: Lot's of dead wood that is not Prem quality.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 7

Additional Information: Can you repeat the start of last season? More importantly, can you keep the Tigers in the premier league?

Club: AC Milan

Division: Serie A

Transfer Budget: Around 13 Million Pounds

Board Expectation: Title Challenge

Key Players: Pato, Pirlo, Gattuso

Pros: Talented players in every department.

Cons: Limited formation as Ac Milan lack wingers. Squad lacks stamina as the squad is aging.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 5

Additional Information: Do you have what it takes to take this team and deliver the 'expected' success? Do you have what it takes to build a whole new youth system and bring through young players and stop people from calling your team old? You can adopt a new philosophy by selling old players and bringing youth or give the experienced lads one more season to prove to the fans? It's a tough task and Ac Milan are going downwards and not even Leonardo can bare the sale of Kaka, will you?

Club: Bordeaux

Division: Ligue 1

Transfer Budget: $8.5mil

Board Expectation Title Challenge

Key Players: Chamakh, Diarra, Gourcuff, Cavenaghi

Pros: You have one of the best attacking midfielders in the game, and a solid core of strikers

Cons: Pretty mediocre defenders, have to look for the more bargain/unknown players

Level of Difficulty: Well if AC Milan is a 5, then I'd say 7.

Additional Information: You have to build your formation around Gourcuff, and incorporate Cavenaghi and Chamakh. Lyon and Marseille were very active in the transfer market while Bordeaux weren't, so you'll have to outwit them.

I'd like a team in a European league, who aren't title favourites but have the potential and financial resources to challenge for silverware (not Man City-esque money but a reasonable amount, to make changes if I want to). A UEFA Cup/lowly CL team would be nice. Good sized stadium would be a bonus but not essential.

I'd like a team in a European league, who aren't title favourites but have the potential and financial resources to challenge for silverware (not Man City-esque money but a reasonable amount, to make changes if I want to). A UEFA Cup/lowly CL team would be nice. Good sized stadium would be a bonus but not essential.

Everton? Aston Villa? At. Madrid?

Everton? Aston Villa? At. Madrid?

Thanks, hulk.

I'd prefer to not play as an English team as I've done England too many times in the past games. Looking at At. Madrid or Fiorentina as a possibilty, or maybe a German or French team as they seem quite competitive.

I suppose it is only the demo so I could try a few teams out before I buy the main game. Still open to suggestions though.

Thanks, hulk.

I'd prefer to not play as an English team as I've done England too many times in the past games. Looking at At. Madrid or Fiorentina as a possibilty, or maybe a German or French team as they seem quite competitive.

I suppose it is only the demo so I could try a few teams out before I buy the main game. Still open to suggestions though.

OM/PSG, failing that, Toulouse or LOSC. :thup:

What about Lazio? I know ahmufcwafc is enjoying a game as them, and of course you have the fantastic Mauro Zarate!

Valencia is another option, you could either sell Silva and Villa and get about £60million or keep them and build up the rest of the team slowly.

Valencia is a great team to be. Fantastic team thread too ;)

But, for gods sake, don't sell Villa or Silva.

What about Lazio? I know ahmufcwafc is enjoying a game as them, and of course you have the fantastic Mauro Zarate!

Valencia is another option, you could either sell Silva and Villa and get about £60million or keep them and build up the rest of the team slowly.

I think I'll give Lazio a go. Hopefully get them back to their glory days. :thup:

As shallow as it sounds, Valencia don't have the finances for my liking. And are you suggesting I sell (arguably) the best striker on the game? And their next best player? :eek:

Hoffenheim?

Good shout, completely forgot about them. Good young squad, money to spend. Tempting...

OM/PSG, failing that, Toulouse or LOSC. :thup:

Looked at both l'OM and PSG, neither really appealed, and the only French game I've ever been able to get into previously was Lyon, so I'm slightly biased there.

Valencia is a great team to be. Fantastic team thread too ;)

But, for gods sake, don't sell Villa or Silva.

Would it be your team thread by any chance? ;)

-

Edit: I've decided on ACF Fiorentina, as they have the ability to challenge for the title (although 3rd is a more realistic option), are overwhelmed by a plethora of attacking talents (Gilardino, Mutu, Jovetic, Vargas, Montolivo, Marchionni, etc.) which means finding a tactic to suit them will be a challenge, and have a big enough balance for a transfer kitty of £25m+ to spend on shoring up the defence.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. :thup:

Great idea for a thread (providing there's responses...)

Anyway, if anyone can help, I'm looking for:

1) An English team

2) From Championship or League 1

3) Expected to reach play-offs (would prefer this to teams expected to walk their league)

4) Stable financially

5) Decent potential (I don't really know how to describe this, maybe "sleeping giants"?)

Try Napoli, had loads of fun with them last game on 09, not a top 4 team but a top 8 team but with loads of young talented players and a decent budget/chairman, you'll be able to challenge easily.

Failing that i also had a bunch of fun with Fiorentina, Toulouse is a good shout too.

I'm looking for a team/league where I can use plenty of foreigners. Once the full game comes out, I am going to play a game as the USA national team, but I am looking for a squad where I can watch over the training of upcoming stars (which leagues don't require WPs and don't limit non-EU players too much?). I would play in the US, but it seems that in 09 all the star players would get poached by European clubs at the end of their contracts. Will this change at all? I would guess the quality of players would be around the English Championship level. Any ideas?

Regretably, I can't seem to get into an Arsenal game for some reason or any team that is similar. I have one long-term project with Southend raring to go, but I need something else as well.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a team where near enough everything needs to be rebuilt - the players, staff, finances etc etc and are, preferbly, outside of England and in the lower divisions. I'm not too fussed about the budget of the club, or the board expectations or anything like that. Just some form of a crisis club, in the lower leagues outside of England.

Hope that was clear.

Hmm, tough requirements there.

I'm just gonna throw some lower league teams I know people have had fun with.

Creteil in France

Clermont in France

San Marino in Italy

East Stirlingshire in Scotland

Valencia Mestalla in Spain.

The latter may have a low budget as the full Valencia club is in financial trouble as well.

Well, the only non-European demo league is Brazil, so you could easily check that out yourself.

Full game, God knows. With the Editor now able to create leagues, you could easily do an African league or something like Iceland or the Faroes.

DMN(YCFC)

San Marino have a long way to get to the top, but Clermont or Creteil could be the most fun.

Club: Celtic

Division: SPL

Transfer Budget: £8.5 Million

Board Expectation: SPL Winners

Key Players: Boruc, McGeady, Fortune

Pros: Good budget, some good players to start with to win the league title back, big fan base

Cons: Poor squad with some players having poor sales value, difficult to qualify for the champions league unless you get a favorable draw in qualifying

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): Domestic: 3, Europe: 8

Additional Information: Winning the SPL is the first seasons main goal, getting into the champions league is a massive bonus money wise if you can do it. Long term: can you rebuild the side and get the team competing in the latter stages of the champions league?

dont have the demo but looking forward for the game to come out, need a half decent or lower league team with a good youth system, no big clubs though, any suggestions? oh and how does Club Brugge look on the demo?

thanks

Hmm, I can think of a few, but one of the clubs are one of the biggest in their league, not neccessarily a big club overall.

Standard Liege

Lens

Sampdoria

FC Twente

Sporting Lisbon

Hey, I'm looking for a mid-table club from either the Championship or League One with a good infra-structure enough to go up a division, similar to what someone suggested earlier but with more mid table ambitions as opposed to play-offs, so I have the chance to experiment and lose a few to start off with.

I have been Preston and Bristol City in past seasons and have enjoyed it. Was thinking about Sheff Weds but have been them before. Also, not Leicester as I support them and want to see how Nigel Pearson gets on in the game.

In this years online game I have been drawn as Toulouse, so have been trying to get a handle on the players during the demo. If anyone can give me advice on players I should sell and new players to buy I would be grateful as my knowledge of French football is limited.

Club: Toulouse

Transfer Budget: £4.3m

Key Players: Gignac, Cetto & Didot

Pros: Good squad with assistant advising only cover at ML needed

Cons: Lack of strikers if Gignac were to get injured

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 8?

Additional Information: Seems solid in all areas, but I worry about cover for LB and ST and it seems that 451 is the best formation to use unless you can buy some players to change the squad balance

Club: Empoli

Division: Serie B

Transfer Budget: £600k

Board Expectation: Promotion

Key Players: FC Eder, AMRC Ighli Vannuchi, GK Davide Bassi

Pros: Young squad, series of excellent players to come back after a year, good youth facilities.

Cons: Weak team, high expectations, not much room in the budgets to work with.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6

Additional Information: This team is an excellent prospect if you can get through a tough first season!

In this years online game I have been drawn as Toulouse, so have been trying to get a handle on the players during the demo. If anyone can give me advice on players I should sell and new players to buy I would be grateful as my knowledge of French football is limited.

Club: Toulouse

Transfer Budget: £4.3m

Key Players: Gignac, Cetto & Didot

Pros: Good squad with assistant advising only cover at ML needed

Cons: Lack of strikers if Gignac were to get injured

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 8?

Additional Information: Seems solid in all areas, but I worry about cover for LB and ST and it seems that 451 is the best formation to use unless you can buy some players to change the squad balance

You missed Moussa in key players? :( Your best bet is loan signings more than likely, you can pick up a few gems like Ecuele Manga or maybe Feghouli. If you want a cheap utility man look at Jelle Van Damme, he can cover quite a few areas. :thup:

Strikers for cheap? Well that is much harder, maybe big in Ronaldo for £2Million? Gignac will see you through though, utter goal machine. :thup:

Basically, what I'm looking for is a team where near enough everything needs to be rebuilt - the players, staff, finances etc etc and are, preferbly, outside of England and in the lower divisions. I'm not too fussed about the budget of the club, or the board expectations or anything like that. Just some form of a crisis club, in the lower leagues outside of England.Hope that was clear.

If you like a challenge, try Boavista- just relegated the Portuguese 3rd tier. I've just been playing them in the demo. Former Portuguese champions, now horribly in debt, with almost no squad to speak of--- and board expects you to win the league comfortably of course. Should fit the bill perfectly.

Regretably, I can't seem to get into an Arsenal game for some reason or any team that is similar. I have one long-term project with Southend raring to go, but I need something else as well.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a team where near enough everything needs to be rebuilt - the players, staff, finances etc etc and are, preferbly, outside of England and in the lower divisions. I'm not too fussed about the budget of the club, or the board expectations or anything like that. Just some form of a crisis club, in the lower leagues outside of England.

Hope that was clear.

You can try Perugia or Hellas Verona in Italy.

Sadly, just about every single Scottish club is in some form of financial crisis so really you could pick any of the lower-league Scottish teams...

Real Union (a basque club) was one of the founding members of the Spanish football league but has been stuck in lower leagues due to only signing Basque players for as long as I care to remember. Guess that is a "crisis"? No money or nothing really...

You missed Moussa in key players? :( Your best bet is loan signings more than likely, you can pick up a few gems like Ecuele Manga or maybe Feghouli. If you want a cheap utility man look at Jelle Van Damme, he can cover quite a few areas. :thup:

Strikers for cheap? Well that is much harder, maybe big in Ronaldo for £2Million? Gignac will see you through though, utter goal machine. :thup:

Thanks HoPeY.

Moussa was classed as a promising youngster by my assistant - do I need to find a new assistant?

Was playing the demo last night and had offers successful for Cristaldo (£840k plus 35% sell on) and Chevanton (£1.9m). Also picked up Andrade and Zenden on bosman's as cover.

Will take a look at Manga, Feghouli, Van Damme and Ronnie tonight.

Looking for a team in need of a complete overhaul, but with a fair chunk of money to spend to start right away. League and standard don't matter hugely.

AC Milan? ;)

Thanks HoPeY.

Moussa was classed as a promising youngster by my assistant - do I need to find a new assistant?

Was playing the demo last night and had offers successful for Cristaldo (£840k plus 35% sell on) and Chevanton (£1.9m). Also picked up Andrade and Zenden on bosman's as cover.

Will take a look at Manga, Feghouli, Van Damme and Ronnie tonight.

Moussa is good enough to start now, I would class him as a key player but it doesn't matter as long as you’re playing him? Otherwise, good In’s so far. :thup:

You are welcome to ask a question regarding French football in the Lyon thread if you have something specific to ask in the mean time. :thup:

Finally now got the game. Usually my first save would be with Chelsea, but I want to see how the ban pans out irl before I be them. So looking for another team to play with. Want to be in top division of either England, Germany, Italy, France or Spain. So far I thought of Sunderland, Arsenal, West Ham, Genoa, AC Milan, Sevilla, HSV? Any advice on them or other reccos would be great?

Cheers.

tcoleman1: Man City should be "familiar" for you as it's another rich club... AC Milan is supposed to be a good challenge due to an aging squad. Valencia is another good club where you already have David Villa and David Silva. Lyon has an amazing team thread here but not as much money as you might be used to from Chelsea. Wolfsburg I've heard is great fun and a real challenge in the German league, same with Hoffenheim.

Archived