FM10 : What Team Should I Be Thread

Club: Southampton

Division: Coca-Cola League 1

Transfer Budget: £1.5m

Board Expectation: Play-offs

Key Players: Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Morgan Schneiderlin

Pros: A lot of players of at least Championship quality should see you challenge for the playoffs. Good youth system too, and training facilities which attract a lot of players.

Cons: Start off on -10 points.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6, reasonably easy at first, but does get more difficult as you progress higher.

Additional Information: Do not be afraid to try players in new positions, as most of the squad can play in a number of different positions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Suggy :)

Also, can anyone recommend a Premiership team? I've tried as Portsmouth but am really struggling tbh, not quite sure who to be though. Possibly a team in the lower half of the league? bit of cash to spend? squad to build on?

Thanks

ITFC1

Hi,

First-time poster so I apologise for any noobishness in this post.

I'm looking for a club with a squad that I can rebuild almost completely using the transfer fees of the old players. I'm not too fussed about division but would like to be able to attract quality players who go for bargains like Annan and Di Maria (still playing v10.0) so will probably have to be fairly high.

Basic Requirements:

-Smallish squad with resellable players

-Decent reputation to attract players

-Lowish expectations for first season

-Preferably no limits on overseas signings

I know this is pretty specific but any recommendations of teams that vaguely fit the bill would be great.

Thanks.

Ed

Playing for a side that can attract players and not have limits is going to be hard, anyway maybe look at Palermo, Toulouse, PSG, Everton, Sunderland, Sevilla, Valencia?

Admittedly there not sides with low expectations, well not really.

Definitely like the idea of PSG or Toulouse, tough to decide between the two as both have attractions.

PSG:

-Makelele to tutor Annan

-Areola to develop

-Sessegnon and Sakho

Toulouse:

-Gignac

-Sissoko

Which of the two would people recommend?

Your really looking at the premiership then, France, Italy, Spain, Germany your going to have restrictions on the amount of foreign players you can bring in, same as Russia and Ukraine.

Scotland doesnt have a foreign restriction either, but the leagues teams with the exception of the big two Celtic and Rangers wont be able to attract the quality of players you want.

Sunderland, Aston Villa and Bolton all have squads that are decent but you would get plenty of money for selling there players, and wouldnt have a problem with attracting good players to your squad.

Although theres always the option of going Man City and setting there targets as low as you can, so you have loads of money to spend :p

Thanks Suggy :)

Also, can anyone recommend a Premiership team? I've tried as Portsmouth but am really struggling tbh, not quite sure who to be though. Possibly a team in the lower half of the league? bit of cash to spend? squad to build on?

Thanks

ITFC1

Hull City give you £7m to spend if you target avoid relegation.

Nice one, thanks guys :), probably look at being Sunderland, or possibly Fulham, as there playing quite well in real life :).

I always struggle to find someone to be, I may go down a league to the championship and be Swansea, but, then I like the idea of building a good Premiership side up :). I had a Roterham save where I got them to the Championship in 4 seasons, but, I found it a little boring in the end, however, we'll see, ill keep you updated with who I shall be :).

I'll be starting a 2 player game with a mate tonight. As I am still undecided which team to take I am looking for several suggestions:

Generally I am looking for a club in England either in the premiership/championship/league 1

1. mid-table club from one of the league that is able to push for europe/promotion in a few years.

2. well balanced squad (maybe with some talented youngsters or a superstar)

3. good stadium

4. some money to spend would be nice

Would be nice if you could make a suggestion for each league. thanks!

I'll be starting a 2 player game with a mate tonight. As I am still undecided which team to take I am looking for several suggestions:

Generally I am looking for a club in England either in the premiership/championship/league 1

1. mid-table club from one of the league that is able to push for europe/promotion in a few years.

2. well balanced squad (maybe with some talented youngsters or a superstar)

3. good stadium

4. some money to spend would be nice

Would be nice if you could make a suggestion for each league. thanks!

Premiership = Hull

Championship = QPR

Leeds = Leeds

What team should I be? I'm not really that good at FM and need a relatively easy game. I played the demo as Arsenal and struggled for goals, the same with Gillingham. Ill be getting FM10 for Christmas so a suggestion before then would be cushty :)

After reading this thread I think I'm going to go with Toulouse.

I've never managed outside of England before and want to give it a go after having a great seven seasons with QPR in FM09. Was thinking of being them again but think I need something new.

What team should I be? I'm not really that good at FM and need a relatively easy game. I played the demo as Arsenal and struggled for goals, the same with Gillingham. Ill be getting FM10 for Christmas so a suggestion before then would be cushty :)

Real Madrid? Barça? Inter? Juve?

Anyone know if there is a guide for Toulouse in this section? I can't seem to find it if there is.

Don't think so.

Club: Norwich FC

Division: Coca-Cola League 1

Transfer Budget: 675k i think

Board Expectation: Promotion

Key Players: Maric, Askou, Hoolahan

Pros: Easy to attract freebies, not much competition

Cons: Lots of dead weight to get rid of to increase your finances

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6

Additional Information: Not sure how hard it will being the champ or prem

Cheers. Will this help me get any better at Football Manager, though?

You learn through experience, if you want an easy game to get to grips those would be the best.

Not really what team should I be, but more like should I keep playing my Lyon game from 10.1.1 patch (just in preseason ahead of my second season), or start again with them on 10.2.0 with their more impressive youth players?

Start again.

This is for anybody out there looking for a 'sleeping giant' in the English divisions. I strongly recomend Brighton as in 3 seasons they move into a brand new 22k seater stadium and have a chairman who will back you. Facilities are very poor so they will be a priority but if you can get a few decent loan signings in and consolidate for the first year then they will make a very fun save. Very hard work but when you get the stadium its very worthwhile.

I took your advice, and I'm halfway through December in 7th place. I only made 3 signings and 4 loan acquisitions, and my team is overperforming. I hope to push for promotion next year, or just build a bit more and make a push in my 3rd year with the probable increase in funds thanks to the new stadium. I will say that it seems a little boring at first, but once you get some results, it picks up. Also, the chairman seems very lenient and will allow a team to be built up slowly

I started another thread with my interests because I didn't realize this one existed. Sorry about that.

I'm an American who knows nothing about football. I've never watched a match (although I may watch one this morning on TV). I'm interested in FM because I played Eastside Hockey Manager for a long time and know how great it was, so I'm hoping FM is just as good.

What I'm looking for is a EPL club that has a good history but has fallen on hard times, presumably due to poor management. Probably a mid table club that always seems to have high expectations but never seems to live up to them. Some clubs that have been suggested are:

West Ham

Everton

Aston Villa

Tottenham

Sunderland

Would those be my best choices or can someone suggest a better option?

Cheers.

Not really what team should I be, but more like should I keep playing my Lyon game from 10.1.1 patch (just in preseason ahead of my second season), or start again with them on 10.2.0 with their more impressive youth players?

Start again.

Thanks HoPeY, thought I had replied the other day, but obviously not. :thdn:

I started another thread with my interests because I didn't realize this one existed. Sorry about that.

I'm an American who knows nothing about football. I've never watched a match (although I may watch one this morning on TV). I'm interested in FM because I played Eastside Hockey Manager for a long time and know how great it was, so I'm hoping FM is just as good.

What I'm looking for is a EPL club that has a good history but has fallen on hard times, presumably due to poor management. Probably a mid table club that always seems to have high expectations but never seems to live up to them. Some clubs that have been suggested are:

West Ham

Everton

Aston Villa

Tottenham

Sunderland

Would those be my best choices or can someone suggest a better option?

Cheers.

west ham would be the best choice in my opinion... they have a great history, a great youth system and the potential to be either relegation fodder or top 6 material... great challenge , good luck with your first foray into football

Club: Aston Villa

Division: EPL

Transfer Budget: £2.9m at least

Board Expectation: Top half at least

Key Players: Ashley Young, James Milner, Gabby, Richard Dunne.

Pros: Good, Young, Mainly english sqaud.

Cons: Not much money due to summer transfers, high expectations.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6 - due to low money, and teams like Man City, Spurs becoming good!

Additional Information: Try and bring the villa up to top class standards.

im a rangers fan but like villa cos they seem like the good old traditional english team. theyve got 2 wingers who get between 10 and 25 goals each a season and the same goes for assists, as well as good young english players, e.g delfouneso, delph, gabby, bannan (scottish), clarke, baker. ive won everything with villa, a great team to start off with, their potential for world domination is amazing.

Which team in Championship and in League One have the best squad? I m not asking for any other variables just who people thinks have the best squad from the start in these two divisions. West Brom or Newcastle in Championship? Leeds or Southampton in League One? Or some other teams?

Anybody know of any mid size to large clubs (in their respective countries) that have selection policies? Like Atletic Bilbao, etc.?

Hope this isn't too late for you, but check out Chivas in the Mexican league. Good team and have an all Mexican selection policy, which I believe is enforced in the game.

I would like to go a team in the championship who are a relegation side. Any Ideas

Barnsley. They have 23,000 capacity stadium wich can be extended by removing the old stand, no debt, have been in PL before, some good players like Anderson, Hammill and Colace, and are predicted at 22 place. But because Barnsley is a smal town in comparison with larger cities represented in the Championship, it has been coded, as IRL, not to full up the stadium like some other clubs in Championship, as West Brom, Ipswich, Derby, Sheff U etc. With the avarage attendance of 12,000-13,000 it will be difficult to get economy which can keep you in PL if you manage to get them up there.

Am out of ideas on which team to play, would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Would like a team, preferably NOT in the top division of their respective league, not very lofty expectations but with a decent reputation and money, wages are more important for me instead of transfer budgets as I prefer to play like Allardyce when it comes to transfers, as long as they can attract good and decent players for their respective divisions, would be good, if able to attract better, would be great.

Any league or nation will do really, want to start my career game from there, so would be nice to build up.

Its the new year, so prob wont get any reply today but one can hope i guess lol...

Ultimate goal is to be the national team coach of my home nation (Singapore) and Coach Chelsea.

PS: Happy new year to everyone!

Barnsley. They have 23,000 capacity stadium wich can be extended by removing the old stand, no debt, have been in PL before, some good players like Anderson, Hammill and Colace, and are predicted at 22 place. But because Barnsley is a smal town in comparison with larger cities represented in the Championship, it has been coded, as IRL, not to full up the stadium like some other clubs in Championship, as West Brom, Ipswich, Derby, Sheff U etc. With the avarage attendance of 12,000-13,000 it will be difficult to get economy which can keep you in PL if you manage to get them up there.

Thanks I will give them a go.

Hey guys quick question.

I have my main career game on my desktop PC, but I am about to start a game on my works laptop. (Which is quite low spec) which (after an hour or so of experimenting) will only really allow me to play in Scotland with all four leagues and a large db. (yes its a cack laptop!)

Anyways, for the past 3/4 years of FM, I always play in England. I dont fancy being Rangers or Celtic and tring to crack Europe, but I do fancy being one of either Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen. But looking t all 3 clubs, they all have loans. Hibs is less impact, but takes 15 years to pay off, hearts is the largest at £26m, and Aberdeens is £9m over 15 months(but at a hefty £500kper month)

I guess what I am asking, is who is the best team to be long term of the three? And are all 3 likely to be able to have stadium increases down the line?

Cheers,

Ash

Blackburn ?

Wigan ?

Birmingham ?

Which season will be most interesting and challenging to do ? Feel free to also give reasons, thanks

Just start as Wigan from the beginning?

Which team in Championship and in League One have the best squad? I m not asking for any other variables just who people thinks have the best squad from the start in these two divisions. West Brom or Newcastle in Championship? Leeds or Southampton in League One? Or some other teams?

Think you've answered your own question.

Am out of ideas on which team to play, would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Would like a team, preferably NOT in the top division of their respective league, not very lofty expectations but with a decent reputation and money, wages are more important for me instead of transfer budgets as I prefer to play like Allardyce when it comes to transfers, as long as they can attract good and decent players for their respective divisions, would be good, if able to attract better, would be great.

Any league or nation will do really, want to start my career game from there, so would be nice to build up.

Its the new year, so prob wont get any reply today but one can hope i guess lol...

Ultimate goal is to be the national team coach of my home nation (Singapore) and Coach Chelsea.

PS: Happy new year to everyone!

Nantes in France, maybe look at QPR? Newcastle?

Hey guys quick question.

I have my main career game on my desktop PC, but I am about to start a game on my works laptop. (Which is quite low spec) which (after an hour or so of experimenting) will only really allow me to play in Scotland with all four leagues and a large db. (yes its a cack laptop!)

Anyways, for the past 3/4 years of FM, I always play in England. I dont fancy being Rangers or Celtic and tring to crack Europe, but I do fancy being one of either Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen. But looking t all 3 clubs, they all have loans. Hibs is less impact, but takes 15 years to pay off, hearts is the largest at £26m, and Aberdeens is £9m over 15 months(but at a hefty £500kper month)

I guess what I am asking, is who is the best team to be long term of the three? And are all 3 likely to be able to have stadium increases down the line?

Cheers,

Ash

Wish I could help there, but I don't know. :(

Well they are likely the only club in France that fits that criteria of some sorts, which is why I suggested them. I didn’t say they were the perfect fit though. ;)

Good god mate! you replied literally in 5mins!?!?...hugh thanks!! lol

Anyways, thats true I guess, but something about them just dont attract me mate, nantes cos well...I think it will be abit too easy.

Any other ideas? I don't mind going a step lower or taking abit of a hit with the finances...as long as they can attract some players.

I know, I am being a pest...sorry mate!

Archived