+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 3390

Thread: Football Manager Wiki

Reserves
    www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk - the ultimate Football Manager Resource!

Default Re: Football Manager Wiki

Thanks

Do peopleagree that we should try to change the articles we have before adding new player ones in for now?

Even if we only get a few changed it is best to have some original ones imo.

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_2111 View Post
    I wouldn't agree that there should be specifications of who warrants a page or not. That way you are making fmwiki elitest, only supplying the information for those who play in the higher leagues.

Elitist is probably the wrong word, actually. But I'm sure you get what I mean.

In my opinion anyone who is going to write up a full article about a player should be able to write about who they want, standard of player regardless.
    I agree with you to an extent. Good lower league players should be allowed pages, but including pages on players who aren't going to get in a playable team is backwards working at this stage. We don't yet have a profile page for Frank Lampard, for example. Once we have an established base, we can work our way down the ladder.

Another point to consider- do we fully update every page after a new release? At the moment the little genuine player info we have is based almost entirely on FM09. What about when the nnext game comes out, or even a new patch?

First Team

Thanks for the update JJay

Done, cheers EDIT: Undone, he's retired

Btw, I've updated the Priskin page
    He's retired, but not in the latest game. Smertin was in 07 and possibly 08. Either we move him to a new cat, "retired persons" (Vivean-Foe could go there too), or we keep them in "players" (as it's "FM Wiki", not "FM09 Wiki). Either way, Smertin (and MVF) aren't in any version of FM as a non-player...

Part-Timer

Could put them in both Players and a new Retired category - or just a Retired category would suffice

Third Team
    Lead Writer for http://footydiary.wordpress.com/

I would say in both sections.

Does everyone think that we should include PA numbers on the wiki? I know that some people that use the forums (eg. the LLaMa forum) do not like to read/know the PAs of players.
    Last edited by ssestig; 10-06-2009 at 17:52.

Part-Timer

http://vanishingpointwiki.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Spoiler - Something like that ssestig would probably be best to implement if you were thinking about doing CAs and PAs

Youth Team

I'm back, guys

Had a lot of work with exams and coursework recently but now, that I only have one exam left, I thought that I would make my return here.

I have been following the thread whilst working though so, I understand about the wii being down and on the player profiles section, I think that they should be original and therefore, not allowed to be copied by other sites (other fm wiki sites)

I will get back working on the wiki soon, but I do have a lot of coursework and one exam left so, I may not be doing loads until around the 23rd.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    http://vanishingpointwiki.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Spoiler - Something like that ssestig would probably be best to implement if you were thinking about doing CAs and PAs
    That's great JJay. Exactly what I was thinking of. Applied to the Simon Church page and just about to do the Pato page.
    Last edited by ssestig; 10-06-2009 at 18:04.

Part-Timer

23rd is my birthday so you best be back for that

I've added the spoiler code to the wiki should you opt to use it - let me know if its of any use. To use it you need to surround the text you're using with and

First Team

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by SCIAG View Post
    Yeah, there's about 20 or so pages with database errors around since the software upgrade was made. Is it possible to fix it JJay?

Part-Timer

Yeah I'll get around to fixing those - it is on my things to do - bit hectic this week as its the mrs' birthday today!

With regards to the spoiler tags I've edited the colours on the box instead of the bright red to this - http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk...tle=Wikiupdate

Edit: Could somebody make a list of the broken profiles and PM them to me so I can look at the cause for it - I've got a feeling its due to the ParserFunctions (which added all the accents etc.) which has messed links up

60 images to go
    Last edited by JJay; 10-06-2009 at 18:12.

Reserves

I've done the Fabregas page like Priskin, have a look if you want. I'lm going to do a couple more like it whenever I can, so make sure you write down the names of pages that are original content please

JJay, those spoilers are much better, the fmwiki colours
    Last edited by arsenal_2111; 10-06-2009 at 18:14.

Part-Timer

All images uploaded now

First Team

I have added original content to:

Simon Church
    Hal Robson-Kanu
    Gylfi Sigurdsson
    A.Hleb
    Alexis Sanchez
    Alexandre Pato

Kevin Doyle is completely original.
    Last edited by SCIAG; 10-06-2009 at 18:42.

Part-Timer

Another point to consider- do we fully update every page after a new release? At the moment the little genuine player info we have is based almost entirely on FM09. What about when the nnext game comes out, or even a new patch?
    It's certainly something that would need thinking about. Player stats are certainly an important part of information about a player, one would assume, but creating new screenshots every year would be laborious, to say the least. Creating one for each new patch would probably be overkill, even though stats often do change with the data updates.

I'm of the opinion that any screenshots should be taken at the start of the game too, rather than after having had the players developed. Perhaps for players which start off rubbish but advance to become great, then a "developed" screenshot could be added within the spoiler field too, I suppose.

But if you do choose to include screens in the long-term, it's definitely something that needs discussing. Hell, it's probably possible to create a bot to automate the task each time a new game comes out for each player there's an article about, but it would require a lot of programming know-how, and processing power obviously for the task itself.

First Team

I knew that bots could do simple tasks (I have a WP account myself) but I never thought they could do something as external as that

Third Team

I've added a CSE page as requested by Alan in the Wiki Forums and i am also working on a graphics pack one

Part-Timer

I knew that bots could do simple tasks (I have a WP account myself) but I never thought they could do something as external as that
    Well it's all about how you program it. For example, on WP there is a bot which checks the text of any new article to see if it is likely to be a copyright violation of an existing page somewhere else on the net, and tags it for speedy deletion if so with a link to the page it is likely to be a copy of. Then an admin can check if it's copied (and if the text it's copied from is copyrighted or released as free content) and either delete it or remove the tag.

It wouldn't be impossible to write a bot that runs on a powerful computer that, once a new game is released, looks for all player articles on FMwiki, then does a search for each of those players within the game (this is why it would need to be a powerful computer, to be able to load enough players to avoid having to do the task multiple times with different leagues loaded), take a screenshot of their profile, upload it to the wiki, and then add the new image to the article.

It's just whether there's any programmers amongst us and anyone with the computer to run it (and the willingness to pretty much give up their computer for a couple of days around the launch of each new game).

So it's not impossible, just rather impractical. You could technically write a bot to do ANY repetitive task.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton162 View Post
    I've added a CSE page as requested by Alan in the Wiki Forums and i am also working on a graphics pack one
    Thanks. Here is the current graphics packs page, maybe you could add to that and/or replace some of the content already there?

Third Team

That's what i am doing gradually Alan No problem either, it was simple to create the CSE Page

Part-Timer

I've fixed a couple of profiles now - what other profiles have been showing errors?

Third Team

I believe it just affected all pages that have titles with accents on them.

Reserves

I had a look in the Wanted Pages page, and there was a page for Serie A in there. So I made one, but have just checked and there is already one there.

I'll make one Serie B instead, but which one?

Third Team

Maybe a mix of two, taking as much info as possible out of both? You made both of them so it mightn't be too difficult.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ahmufcwafc View Post
    Maybe a mix of two, taking as much info as possible out of both? You made both of them so it mightn't be too difficult.
    No, the first one I made has been completely redone by Jod.

EDIT: But still, I'll mix them around.

Part-Timer

Yeah - got any more that need fixing?

Part-Timer

Fixed those ones now too

Third Team

I'm still getting database errors for all of them.

Youth Team

Don't know if this is on the list above but I am getting a database error for this one:

Edwin's page

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by pnefc22 View Post
    Don't know if this is on the list above but I am getting a database error for this one:

Edwin's page
    Same for me, that's Edwin van der Sar in case someone didn't click

Part-Timer

I found the underlying cause which was the CharSet as first believed - but found the actual setting - should stop this happening in future

Check for errors now

Edit: You may need to move current pages with odd characters to the correct page as I did not want to run a script on the database to do this automatically incase it messed up
    Last edited by JJay; 11-06-2009 at 19:25.

Part-Timer

If you see the articles on the Main Page changing then be aware that it's me playing about

Part-Timer

I have changed the Selected Article to be a featured article each month. At present this is manual but in future could be automated if it felt appropriate.

Also - some feedback on whether an integrated IRC applet would be of any use for the wiki would be useful

Part-Timer

I have changed the Selected Article to be a featured article each month. At present this is manual but in future could be automated if it felt appropriate.

Also - some feedback on whether an integrated IRC applet would be of any use for the wiki would be useful - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IRC_Chat

Reserves

Also - some feedback on whether an integrated IRC applet would be of any use for the wiki would be useful - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IRC_Chat
    Do we have a choice what to change it to? It'd be a shame to have a not so good page on there, or a page copied from Wiki. Thanks for adding it tho

What is that IRC thing? I don't really understand it

If you see the articles on the Main Page changing then be aware that it's me playing about
    Shocking

Reserves

So please now read on about everything Football Manager you will ever need to know!
    Who put that? What was wrong with what I put?

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by peter-evo View Post
    Jammy changed it around a bit, just to freshen up the main page a bit. Surely nothing wrong with that?

Reserves

Nope, just didn't think it made much sense. The sentence that is.

Third Team

Ah, never noticed that. Football Manager related then?

Do we have a choice what to change it to? It'd be a shame to have a not so good page on there, or a page copied from Wiki. Thanks for adding it tho
    We can change it. Are we happy with the Confederations Cup for now or do you think we shouldn't have another competition as our featured article?

Just so I'm understanding correctly - it's basically a chat addon for the site, yes?

Reserves

I don't understand what you mean.

Third Team

So please now read on about everything Football Manager RELATED you will ever need to know!

Reserves

So please now read on about everything Football Manager RELATED that you will ever need to know!

Third Team

Just started a page for Leicester City. Is that better content wise? Obviously missing budgets, stadium info and suggested formation/signings which can be added at a later date.

Also for the screenshots for players, can they all be from the first season only please guys so that we know what they start the game like first then add some more at a later date.
    Last edited by ssestig; 12-06-2009 at 00:30.

Part-Timer

We can change it. Are we happy with the Confederations Cup for now or do you think we shouldn't have another competition as our featured article?

Just so I'm understanding correctly - it's basically a chat addon for the site, yes?
    Yes mate - is it of any use?

As for the featured article - yes it is changeable and I only picked the Confed Cup out of the fact that it had an image and could easily be tested. At the moment, the choosing of articles is a manual process

Third Team

Yes mate - is it of any use?
    Not sure if it'd be used much, but it would be a nice feature to have on the site imo.

Reserves

Jammy changed it around a bit, just to freshen up the main page a bit. Surely nothing wrong with that?
    Like Alan said, that was me. It was worded quite badly, reading it again.

Confederations Cup is fine, although it may be best to try and keep it to pages that contain some FM information for next times?

Was just checking for the future though

Quote Originally Posted by ahmufcwafc
    That'd be quite good, might not get used much but would be a nice little add on

Quote Originally Posted by ssestig View Post
    Just started a page for Leicester City. Is that better content wise? Obviously missing budgets, stadium info and suggested formation/signings which can be added at a later date.

Also for the screenshots for players, can they all be from the first season only please guys so that we know what they start the game like first then add some more at a later date.
    That's alright now imo, obviously it will need adding to to make it more in touch with other team guides but yeah, that's fine :-)

Reserves

By the way, player pages with accents are screwed up again. Priskin's page is called Tam�s Priskin and has no content - not sure what's happened here.

Third Team

By the way, player pages with accents are screwed up again. Priskin's page is called Tam�s Priskin and has no content - not sure what's happened here.
    Yep, getting the same here. Maybe in future we should leave accents out of page titles?

Youth Team

We need the accents IMO.

Why do the accented? pages keep messing up?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by pnefc22 View Post
    We need the accents IMO.

Why do the accented? pages keep messing up?
    I'd assume it's something to do with the site not recognising them.

I agree with Alan, leave accents out from now. Hopefully we can recover the ones that dont work anymore.

Part-Timer

Hm, when was that page created? It's not one that I've manually had to fix. The accent issue should now be fixed - but what has happened here is that as it has been fixed it doesn't understand the old link

The only affected articles therefore will be the ones created prior to the fix yesterday

Third Team

Hm, when was that page created? It's not one that I've manually had to fix
    Jammy made it a day or two ago I think. Have a look at the list of profiles, all of the pages with accents on their title are broken again.

Part-Timer

They just need to be moved to the correct page names as Jammy is doing

Reserves

They just need to be moved to the correct page names as Jammy is doing
    I've done the ones that names were missed up, I think something else needs doing to the ones with the question mark symbols? As at the moment it says the page is empty.

Part-Timer

I've applied the automatic fix (which will now only cause the profiles we moved manually to be out of sync) to sort out EVERY character problem there was - this has fixed all the profiles with accents. The empty profiles should now be back

I could have done this yesterday - would have saved the problems today which I didn't forsee!

Part-Timer

I think that should be all the Player Profiles fixed now A-Z and it is safe to continue to use accents and other characters in the page names

Reserves

Cheers for that JJay - by the way, I got three emails from you, do you need me/want me to reply?

Reserves

I've removed the stub tag from the skins page, I dont think there is much more that could be added?

Third Team

I've set up the featured content page here. I just picked a few random pages that were in the top 10 most viewed list.

Is there any way of getting rid of that ugly contents box at the top of the page?

Reserves

Personally I think you should just show the best from each category.

Clubs -
    Competitions -
    Nations -
    Players -
    Non-Players -
    Gameplay -
    Skinning -
    Technical -
    Stadia -
    Editing -
    Game Releases -
    Miscellaneous -

I'll leave that one empty in case anyone else want to suggest some.

Clubs - Arsenal
    Competitions - I like Serie A, but I'm biased
    Nations - Wales
    Players - Maybe one of the ones that were redone? Fabregas, Priskin, I'm not sure what other ones were done
    Non-Players - Not sure if there is one that has FM info?
    Gameplay - So many to choose from, either Tactics, Training or Assembling a good team maybe?
    Skinning - Skins is the obvious choice
    Technical - Tips on making PC faster
    Stadia - All the same layout no? So just pickany team
    Editing - Either EDT, DDT and LNC Files or WeeGiE
    Game Releases - FM09, FMH and FML
    Miscellaneous - Steam maybe? Not too many to choose from.

Just saw the ones there - all of them seem fine too, but I think we need a couple more.

Maybe 10 altogether? Not sure which ones are the best from them, I reckon

1. Regens
    2. Takeovers
    3. Skins
    4. Steam
    5. Tactics
    6. Training
    7. Assembling a good team...
    8. (what people think the best team guide is)
    9. (what people think the best competition guide is)
    10. (what people think the best player guide is)

As for the contentsbox, I don'tthink you can.
    Last edited by arsenal_2111; 12-06-2009 at 23:17.

Part-Timer

Is there any way of getting rid of that ugly contents box at the top of the page?
    Done.

http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk...542&oldid=6538

Reserves

Is all you did for that type in _NOTOC_ ? Cheers

Third Team

1. Regens - Done
    2. Takeovers - Done
    3. Skins - Done
    4. Steam - Not enough content imo.
    5. Tactics - Possibly, might be lacking in a bit of content
    6. Training - Agreed.
    7. Assembling a good team... - Agreed
    8. (what people think the best club guide is)
    9. (what people think the best competition guide is)
    10. (what people think the best player guide is)
    For the miscellaneous page, I'd go for the page on SI over Steam.
    I think the page on EDT files etc should be included as well.

Part-Timer

Is all you did for that type in _NOTOC_ ? Cheers
    Yes, but with two underscores either side.

__NOTOC__
    rather than
    _NOTOC_

One underscore either side won't work.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Walrus View Post
    Thanks a million for that, looks so much better now.

Reserves

For the miscellaneous page, I'd go for the page on SI over Steam.
    I think the page on EDT files etc should be included as well.
    What about players/competitions/teams?

Third Team

What about players/competitions/teams?
    I'd go for the ones with the most original content. As I've said before, those three sections aren't my area so I'm pretty much clueless.

Reserves

I *think* the whole of the Arsenal page is original, and think Kevin Doyle, Fabregas and Priskin are the only player ones with completely original work. Then most competition guides that aren't big walls of text are original. So I'm not sure on this one.

Fabregas is well known so he may be a good one? Or if you think theres a better player that could go on there I'll write up a guideto him.

Third Team

Yeah the Arsenal page looks good, I think that should go in. I think we should go with Priskin for the player profile, just to not have too much featured pages related to Arsenal.

I'll have them up shortly.

Reserves

Ok then

Third Team

http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk...tured_articles

It's done now. Could do with a change in the colour of some of the boxes, I'll try to sort that out tomorrow.

Reserves

Looks great

Part-Timer

Third Team

That chat addon is a nice touch

First Team Squad Member

Any chance one of you guys could create a page on player compensation?

Like where you approach to sign and it says 'Team X must be compensated with Y amount of money possibly rising to Z'

Not sure if its always the same, but my last one was Y upfront followed by 100k per appearance for the next 40 games, with 15% sell-on clause

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool Rule---Jehrome View Post
    Any chance one of you guys could create a page on player compensation?

Like where you approach to sign and it says 'Team X must be compensated with Y amount of money possibly rising to Z'

Not sure if its always the same, but my last one was Y upfront followed by 100k per appearance for the next 40 games, with 15% sell-on clause
    Does the compensation in the game work like that? I always thought you just paid out one big fee and that was it. And I thought it was random. I could be wrong though, anyone feel free to correct me.

First Team

It was until 09, when the Bostock transfer made them update things. I think I'll mention that on Bostock's page, actually. I did with the "sign young Brazilian in the future" thing on Pato's page

First Team

http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk...le=Rodney_Jack

By the sounds of things he has retired.

Youth Team

The Featured Articles page looks great

First Team Squad Member

The Atletico Madrid page is dodgy, it says Atlético Madrid

Thought I'd give you the heads up

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool Rule---Jehrome View Post
    The Atletico Madrid page is dodgy, it says Atlético Madrid

Thought I'd give you the heads up
    Thanks, it should be fixed now. We've had some trouble with page titles with accents on them lately, for some reason they keep getting screwed up like that.

First Team Squad Member

Yeah will have a look if theres anymore like that and post them in here

Part-Timer

The following player images will be missing - if you need them then it would be an idea to upload them (preferably on to imageshack and link or similar to save a bit of space):

Dean Ashton
    Correa
    Breno
    Juan Forlin
    Papa Gueye
    Vakhit Orazsakhedov
    Giovanni Dos Santos
    Anton Kozlov
    Marquinhos
    Clayton Ince
    Edin Dzeko
    Manuel Pellegrini

I also note that the following images are missing too

Steam-editor-done.jpg
    The_FA.jpg
    ChampionshipManager03-04Box.jpg
    Fm2006cover.jpg
    USOpenCupLogo.jpg
    Rummenigge.gif

That should be them all
    Last edited by JJay; 17-06-2009 at 10:28.

Semi Pro

Exams finished now Over 3 months free, I should be able to get some articles done at some point.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by JSalter View Post
    Exams finished now Over 3 months free, I should be able to get some articles done at some point.
    Shameless gloating and thread bumping

On an unrelated note, maybe we should stick a stub tag on all player profiles that have no FM related content yet?

Youth Team

Yeah, I think we should.

That way they can be done easier.

Third Team

Would be a good idea Alan IMO. The Graphics Pack page should be up fairly soon, i only have 1 exam left on 30th June plus 2 more weeks of school after that

It should be up within the next week but i just haven't had time to work on it recently with Eng + Design Coursework and essays

Third Team

Just thought I would come on here for a look, and I just had a look at the wiki and I saw quite surprised how it has massively improved since the last time I saw it.

Credit to everyone who has contributed. Keep up the fantastic work.

Third Team

Is there a limit on how many screenshots we can upload?

Reserves

Jod:Who are you?

Cheers, though I haven't done half as much as I should have. You going to stick around?

Third Team

Is there a limit on how many screenshots we can upload?
    Don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet so I might as well say it now.

We're petty close to reaching our storage limit, and if we exceed it, JJay's going to have to pay. As far as I know he's restricted uploads to admins only just as a sort-term measure. Linking to imageshack or photobucket is probably the best thing to do for now.

Could you give me a hand sticking stub tags on all profile pages that have no content if at all possible?

Also, are we ready to make a decision on the wikipedia situation yet or should that be held up for another while? All up to you guys, I don't do anything on the profles so I'll leave it up to you.

Third Team

How can we upload screenshots from external sites such as Photobucket or Imageshack to the wiki?

Youth Team

How can we upload screenshots from external sites such as Photobucket or Imageshack to the wiki?
    We can't.

He means providing a link to Photobucket where they can view the screenshot.

At least, that is what I think he means.

Third Team

Just done that with Xabi Prieto, a player known to me via Crazy's Torquay dominance on FM07. Let me know what you think.

Edit: 2900th post.
    Last edited by ssestig; 21-06-2009 at 16:07.

Third Team

Maybe, to make it stand out on pages that have text, you could give the screenshot a separate header. Something like this:
    Code:
    ==Screenshot of Profile==
    [link to screenshot]
    We've hit 100% disk usage now. I think the best idea is to upload all player profile screenshots to photobucket from now on. JJay will be taking all the screenies uploaded to the site and they'll be re-uploaded on photobucket. Afterwards we'll have plenty of disk space left so we'll be able to allow uploads again.

Third Team

That's a good idea guys.

Part-Timer

Happy birthday to me

Banned

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast