fm12 - david beckham

why have SI made it impossible to sign beckham once again? (i dont care that hes 36, hes my favourite player and id like to sign him for the short amount of time that he is available)

i dont get it .. no matter what i try to do, i cannot sign him because of the 'wishes to play out the remainder of his career at current club'

there are a few others like this i think also, the only other one im interested in signing would be thierry henry, but again, impossible

any suggestions? ways to change this?

well theres that mcgougan... but you can also edit his team history.. ie. player cleansing.. to make it so he hasnt just joined the club.. you can lower his rep to a point where he wants to leave.. you can make him unhappy (jaded) with the club and make your club his personal favourite etc... and then he should want to join etc.

oh and beckham has already ruled out moves to the premiership and beyond.. he's said he only really wants to go back to milan if anywhere

I have to agree here, I find it immensely frustrating that it's impossible to sign him. Even on previous versions Beckham has been a free agent, because LA Galaxy didn't offer him another contract, and he still won't sign. He hasn't retired either. He just sits there as a free agent, but never wants to enter into discussions, no matter which club you're managing.

I know it's not a big deal in terms of the game, just wish that he wasn't so unattainable.

I, like the OP, think Beckham is a legend and he's my favourite player too, but I have no desire whatsoever to manage LA Galaxy (I don't like the way the American league works), and don't want to "cheat" by using the editor to move him.

In one of my saves he wouldn't sign for me (I was Prem champion) but did sign for Swansea who were in the championship. I also tried signing him as Man U once just to see but still no joy. I think it should be hard to sign him but not as hard. Never tried with an Italian team...

I signed him with my winning Hull City team in FM2010

In my FC United save on FM11, he signed for Hull in 2012 I think it was. He was a free agent for a short period of time before they snapped him up for free. They were in the Championship at the time.

The one thing I would question is why I never got the merchandizing windfall that usually comes with signing a world renowned superstar. I don't care if he is old and crap, if I sign David Beckham I think I should see a bump in shirt sales.

Surprised at that. It's the first thing that crosses my mind when someone buys him, the merchandising side of things, he's the biggest footballing brand in the world as far as players go, would've expected him to fall into the "shirt sales" category in FM.

the cloning could be a good idea, but when you clone him, would the 'wants to play out the remainder of his career at the club' still be on his player info, and therefore, still wont move ?

Archived