SI, do you even know basic football rules?

I do not understand the fact that a company that makes a football game do not know the basic football rules. SI, when a player who is clear trough your defence gets stoped by a player with illegal means as the last man, he should be punished by a direct red card according to the rules. I cant recall how many times I have seen episodes where my player is alone clear trough and is tackled by opponent who is the last man without him even getting a yellow card. I have never seen the "last man" rule being implemented in this game. I mean, how hard is to code basic rules of football in ME. In addition, when a player is injured so that he must get help from the physio on the pitch, the rule says that the player must be out of the pitch before he can return on to the pitch and be able to continue. This has never happened in this game as far as I know. To make things even worse for you, I've just been called off for offside from a throw-in. SI, there is not such a thing as offside from a throw-in. This starts to be parody of a game.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed this injury thing. The physio comes on and treats the player on the pitch, said player then carries on playing where he should leave the pitch before being signalled on by the ref. But it doesn't bother me too much. If the defender was denying an obvious goalscoring opprotunity then yes, it should be a red. If they haven't (for example striker moving away from goal) then it isn't a red. There is no such foul as a professional one in terms of getting sent off

I've rarely seen the last man sent off for a professional foul.

I've never seen a player booked for time wasting.

I've often seen a player tended to by the physio on the field of play before returning immediately to action.

Have never seen a player called offside from a throw-in though, nor have I ever seen a GK sent off, oddly enough.

I've often seen a player tended to by the physio on the field of play before returning immediately to action.

Have never seen a player called offside from a throw-in though, nor have I ever seen a GK sent off, oddly enough.

Seen both. A goalkeeper was booked for time wasting.

Although there is no actual 'last man' rule, most instances of this are indeed goalscoring opportunities. I had Carlton Cole through on goal only to be pushed over from behind just outside the box, and only a yellow! This is ridiculous

Robbie Fowler was flagged offside for a throw-in for Liverpool a few years back, so it is something that has happened in real life. It's not an event I have particularly noticed happening in game, though there have been other issues with off-sides recently.

theres only 1 thing that annoys me and its stupid beyond belief. i can have a striker get the ball mid way in the opposition half, run up to the goal and score past the goalkeeper. he then celebrates for the next 30 seconds. after all this the assistant decides its offside!!! wat takes so friging long?????????

Robbie Fowler was flagged offside for a throw-in for Liverpool a few years back, so it is something that has happened in real life. It's not an event I have particularly noticed happening in game, though there have been other issues with off-sides recently.

I've seen it happen to Ryan Giggs as well.

last man fouling a striker isn't automatically a red card, depends on the chance of scoring.

If you're attacking down the wings, your chances of scoring are alot less likely, so you're more likely to only get a yellow card, where as if your down the middle with goal in sight, that's more likely a red

The referee and linesmen do make mistakes in FM, it's supposed to be that way.

I think additional commentary along the lines of "the fans are starting to whistle at the referee for that penalty call" will help to show that that was the intended result as opposed to just a ME error.

I think what people are trying to do is interpret intent of the call from viewing it on 3D. This is no slight to SI, as the 3D engine is coming along quite nicely (IMO), but we cannot possibly interpret intent from the views we get there.

1. There is no 'last man rule.' The referee has the discretion to punish accordingly based on the quality of the scoring chance.

2. There is no offsides from a throw-in; unless the ball becomes touched in-flight and is therefore 'in-play.' At the point of the ball being touched, it is no longer considered part of the throw-in but now a free-playing-ball. The same is true on free kicks.

Bottom line, we don't have the visual recreation of the ME from 3D to adequately determine intent of calls made. In addition, there are supposed to be blown calls...

why should they? the rules of the game are to play on and let the ref deem if the match needs to be stopped

i wouldn't mind if the game did just play on, but it very rarely does

usually a team will sportingly kick it out of play and then not receive the ball back from the throw on

I do not understand the fact that a company that makes a football game do not know the basic football rules. SI, when a player who is clear trough your defence gets stoped by a player with illegal means as the last man, he should be punished by a direct red card according to the rules. I cant recall how many times I have seen episodes where my player is alone clear trough and is tackled by opponent who is the last man without him even getting a yellow card. I have never seen the "last man" rule being implemented in this game. I mean, how hard is to code basic rules of football in ME. In addition, when a player is injured so that he must get help from the physio on the pitch, the rule says that the player must be out of the pitch before he can return on to the pitch and be able to continue. This has never happened in this game as far as I know. To make things even worse for you, I've just been called off for offside from a throw-in. SI, there is not such a thing as offside from a throw-in. This starts to be parody of a game.

Nothing like a hysterical post is there? Or is your post some kind of parody?

As has been pointed out by others, the last man rule is a myth, the rule is about denying a clear goalscoring opportunity and is open to interpretation. I have had players in this situation red carded, I've also had them booked or nothing but a free kick, much like IRL where just one weekends watching of any major league will see the same incident played out in different games with different refs making different calls.

Its football and its the stuff like that gets fans up and down the country talking in pubs and they're living rooms. It also keeps the likes of Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Kammy in jobs along with all the other media relying on controversy to sell their paper/satellite channel/etc.

My players always go off after treatment from the physio, so don't see that as an issue.

As pointed out before, people have been flagged for offside from throws, obviously they shouldn't but its called human error. It exists and has been programmed into FM.

Man up and accept it.

I thought you could be?

What is interesting here is that you are not offside prior to the ball being kicked; nor are you offside if the ball is played to you directly upon being FIRST struck. The offside occurs when the ball is NOT directly played to you OR is touched by ANYONE else. This results in many teams simply lining up even with the defense because the chance of the ball being touched on deflection is so great.

My observations are:

- Last man gets a red card for fouling a player that is through and running for the goal in 8-9/10 of the cases.

- There are too many offside calls. Some are fine and make the game realistic but even some screamers from the second row are called off due to offside.

yeah you can, unless you are in your own half of course

Please re-check the rules.

You are not offside if you are doing any of the following:

Are in your own half of the field (your half is the half your goalkeeper is on). Or,

Are even with or behind the ball. Or,

Don't go past the "Second Last Defender" (The goalkeeper is usually, but not always, the last defender; this might be the case if the goalkeeper is out of goal). Or,

Receive the ball direct from a goal kick, corner kick or throw-in. (But you can be offside if you receive it direct on a "free kick"). Or,

Are the ballhandler (the ballhandler can be closer to the goal than the ball if he has his back to the goal).

Came from:

http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dictionary_Terms_O.shtml

ive noticed that the offsice rule was wrong on the psp version not so much for this

I've had Shay Given sent off for an accidental handball outside the box.

Note: It was nowhere near a goal scoring opportunity. Closer to the endline then the top of the box.

For all those who say that there is no such thing as as "last man rule": Before you shoot with irrational counter-arguments I want you to read my opening post once more. I said clearly, and I quote me self: "when a player who is clear trough your defence gets stoped by a player with illegal means as the last man, he should be punished by a direct red card according to the rules". Note that I use terminology such as "clear trough your defence" (eg which means player is alone trough and in position to score) and "illegal means as the last man" (eg the player who stoped the clear trough player is a last man of his defence). In addition, I'm using terminology "last man rule" in quotation marks which means that a player has been deprived of a 100% chance to score, I do it because I assumed that the vast majority on this forum knew what this means. Obviously not since I have to explain my self again. For all those who said that they have experienced the last man red card: good for you, but I have not experienced. If I have experienced this I would not be here and post complaints, would I?

Most people who have experienced last man red card in their save, I have to ask: how often it has happend? What is the ratio? Because IRL in the majority of time this results in red card, or at least yellow card. So if you have experienced this a few times, but in majority this has been ignored by a ref, then again something is wrong, isn`t it?

I know that it is offside from throw-in when somebody has touched the ball on the way, but this is not what I wrote. If this was the case I would mentioned it. What I meant was, of course, that there is no offside from "direct" throw-in. The fact that ref IRL makes mistakes does not mean that the rule should be ignored in majority of time in the game. I have nothing against that the ref makes mistakes sometimes, but when it happens in majority then something is seriously wrong. This is the case at least with the "last man" rule and "injured player" problem. For offside from throw-ins, I can not say whether this happands in the majority of the time, but I've experienced it couple times.

For all those who say that there is no such thing as as "last man rule". Before you shoot with irrational counter-arguments I want you to read my opening post once more. I said clearly, and I quote me self: "when a player who is clear trough your defence gets stoped by a player with illegal means as the last man, he should be punished by a direct red card according to the rules". Note that I use terminology such as "clear trough your defence" (eg which means player is alone trough and in position to score) and "illegal means as the last man" (eg the player who stoped the clear trough player is a last man of his defence). In addition, I'm using terminology "last man rule" in quotation marks which means that a player has been deprived of a 100% chance to score, I do it because I assumed that the vast majority on this forum knew what this means. Obviously not since I have to explain my self again. For all those who said that they have experienced the last man red card: good for you, but I have not experienced. If I have experienced this I would not be here and post complaints, would I?

Most people who have experienced last man red card in their save, I have to ask: how often it has happend? What is the ratio? Because IRL in the majority of time this results in red card, or at least yellow card. So if you have experienced this a few times, but in majority this has been ignored by a ref, then again something is wrong, isn`t it?

Whether the defender who is the "last man" gets a red or yellow card or not, is up to the discretion of the ref.

Whether the defender who is the "last man" gets a red or yellow card or not, is up to the discretion of the ref.

No it is not in a case where a player is CLEAR trough and he has been deprived of an obvious opportunity to score, while the player who stopped him with illegal means was last man of his defence. Rules in relation to this are clear and not subject to interpretation by a ref on the picth. If that is a doubt about if the player was the last man of his defence, or a doubt about if the player who was through was in position to score, then the ref can choose not to punished the player with the red card. In most cases, he will in this situation show the yellow card.

No it is not in case where a player is CLEAR trough and he has been deprived of an obvious opportunity to score, while the player who stopped him with illegal means was last man of his defence. Rules in relation to this are clear and not subject to interpretation by a ref on the picth. If that is a doubts about if the player was the last man of his defense, or doubt about if the player who was through was in position to score, then the ref can choose not to punished the player with the red card. In most cases, he will in this situation show the yellow card.

Don't you watch football?! Everything is subject to interpritation by the ref. He decides whether or not to show cards, he decides whether or not certain things are allowed or not, etc, etc.

One such example of a ref going against a very clear rule in the game is this:

When a ball, last touched by a defender, goes behind that defender's goal, it should be a corner, should it not?

Not so, as proved by the ref who was in charge of the Utd vs. City game, who gave a throw in when faced with this situation.

I love it when a player is dribbling the ball, he kicks it 5 yards ahead and then a player slides in about a second after. It would be a red card every time but never even gets a yellow.

Getting flagged for offside as a ball passes 10 yards over someones head is also a good one. I even had a goalie make a save a yard over the line and hold it there and a goal wasnt given.

Don't you watch football?! Everything is subject to interpritation by the ref. He decides whether or not to show cards, he decides whether or not certain things are allowed or not, etc, etc.

One such example of a ref going against a very clear rule in the game is this:

When a ball, last touched by a defender, goes behind that defender's goal, it should be a corner, should it not?

Not so, as proved by the ref who was in charge of the Utd vs. City game, who gave a throw in when faced with this situation.

This is probably the most irrational argument I have read on this forum. What is even more paradox is that you accuse me for not watching the football.

The ref makes mistakes but that does not mean that the rule should be ignored totaly as it was in my save, so your argument is irrelevant. The rule is clear and distinct, so the ref who makes to many of these mistakes have a short life in top football. The fact that you also compare this with the corner decisions shows just how little you watching the football. It is simple to see if a player is alone clear trough and in the process of scoring a goal when he gets tackled illegally, compared to see if the ball has touch a player or not before it went into the corner. Pathetic.

This is probably the most irrational argument I have read on this forum. What is even more paradox is that you accuse me for not watching the football.

The ref makes mistakes but that does not mean that the rule should be ignored totaly as it was in my save, so your argument is irrelevant. The rule is clear and distinct, so the ref who makes to many of these mistakes have a short life in top football. The fact that you also compare this with the corner decisions shows just how little you watching the football. It is simple to see if a player is alone clear trough and in the process of scoring a goal when he gets tackled illegally, compared to see if the ball has touch a player or not before it went into the corner. Pathetic.

You obviously didn't watch the match I was talking about. If you did, then you would have known there was no way the ref could have made the mistake of thinking it was a throw in.

Therefore, it is obvious that refs make terrible, and at times baffling, errors. This is well shown in the game. And if you don't like, I suggest you stop playing.

Have a nice night. :thup:

Indirect free kicks aren't awarded in game. Goals are (apparently) scored from free kicks awarded for offside; impeding is classed as a direct free kick offence; the technical fouls (touching a set piece twice) aren't coded.

Archived