'Exceeds recommended limit of 20000'???

This game is Football manager. Am I right?

For years we have loved football manager (championship back in the day) for one reason. To immerse ourselves in a virtual football world where anything was possible.

So what , I ask, is the point when we are recommended only to load 20000 players????

What has football manager become? Some arcade game to play a premiership game?

Are we losing the values that made Football manager what it was?

I fear we are in danger of that unless we can load up many more players.

Football manager is more than this.

Please bring it back!

Here starts the campaign to bring back Football Managers values.

Join Me

what are you bleating about, my database has over 35,000 players?

If you start a new game - when selecting the DB size it says if you have gone over what is recommended for your system rating (or at least that what i assume its basing the number off).

Mine is 3* rated and says about 77000 is what it recommends - i have more then it recommends loaded it just depends on whether you can wait for the processing to take longer.

You will find out the computer will generally struggle with anything over 9000...

But my game has 60/70,000 players on and runs very smoothly - despite my system only being rated at half a star I somehow think its oblivious to the abundance of RAM and processing power there lol. If you're struggling on 20,000 though you should probably invest in some new hardware.

For those of you who have 100,000 players loaded, what rating does your computer give you for that and how well does the game run? I am running 20,000 at 5 star and was wondering what impact stepping up in db size would have?

• Administrators

As said it's just a warning. But if you suffer memory crashes or anything else because you've gone over the limit there isn't too much we can really do to help. That's why we've put the warning in. Thanks.

The reccomendations at start of the game have always been very conservative tbh.

Agreed. I think most, if not all computers can cope with more than the recommended amount, I think that is just for safety.

I have 127,000 players, huge database, with loads of leagues on a LAPTOP and it runs absolutely fine.

Half star system both on 3d and database size and I run 27 leagues fully playable (77000 players) and medium 3d matches with no ill effects...

Warnings are for lesser people :D

Must say tho that I am used to slower calculating speeds anyway, the only thing that matters to me is depth of play with no crashes (had none yet) :thup:

i have 5 star rating for my system spec, and i highly reccommended one i didint load a large database with only English and Scottish leagues loaded. I was running other programmes at the time, may have been the cause.

I thought it was a little bit strange that i has suddenly had a recommendation for my database size lol.

Yet reading the posts by SI in this thread it appears as though its nothing more than a measure to cover their backs because of a fault game.

How many leagues exactly do you believe people can run with 20k players in the database?

How long do you believe the game will last for if it only has 20k players on it? When others are struggling for decent regens on 50k player databases?

This is simply an excuse.

Yet reading the posts by SI in this thread it appears as though its nothing more than a measure to cover their backs because of a fault game

Oh come on, why do I need to read this sort of stuff in almost every other post. Why do people keep seeing "conspiracy theories" behind a perfectly fine warning message SI put in. It is simply a message to warn you about the fact that you might be stretching your system recources a bit. Just like every other game has that is out on the market today, if you go to graphical settings pretty much anywhere there is a recommended setting. This is exactly the same, nothing more and nothing less. Ignore it and run with it, or stick to the warning and run with less options (in this case smaller DB).

If you really feel the need to press the issue that SI made a faulty game and tried to hide it behind such a message then please tell it to your mates at the pub or seek a different hobby. There is simply nothing special about this message that would warrent such a negative view.

Just my 2 cents... carry on

Oh come on, why do I need to read this sort of stuff in almost every other post. Why do people keep seeing "conspiracy theories" behind a perfectly fine warning message SI put in. It is simply a message to warn you about the fact that you might be stretching your system recources a bit. Just like every other game has that is out on the market today, if you go to graphical settings pretty much anywhere there is a recommended setting. This is exactly the same, nothing more and nothing less. Ignore it and run with it, or stick to the warning and run with less options (in this case smaller DB).

If you really feel the need to press the issue that SI made a faulty game and tried to hide it behind such a message then please tell it to your mates at the pub or seek a different hobby. There is simply nothing special about this message that would warrent such a negative view.

Just my 2 cents... carry on

The do me a favour please, start a game with 20k people on the database, and see just how long it lasts before every team on the game has players that belong in league 2. The potential for Regens on that sort of database is practically worthless

Yes every game has RECOMMENDED settings which are supposed to give the good play through of the game.

A 20k database is a next to nothing really in the FM world. That doesnt give a good play through because your game will be over before long because you have nothing in the way of Regens for continuity.

As i have previously stated this is simply an excuse for those still experiencing crash dumps.

While i do enjoy the game (dont get me wrong, its the best release of FM for a while) it shouldnt of been released in the state it was, and it still needs a fair amount of work putting into it so those people still experiencing problems can play their game properly.

10.2 has resolved the majority of my issues, i have an awesome rig yet had at least 6 crash dumps per season, why? I dont rightly know, but i know its got nothing to do with my systems memory or processing power. This is a lame excuse to quiet down the mumblings of discontent

I got a totally crap system and had no crashes what so ever so I can honestly state that simply the database size or the connected warning message is not the cause or the only cause for crashes. I got the database warning at 77k players and went over it without ill effects. Some people will crash even with only 1 player in the database. To state that they put this message in to avoid hearing complains about crashes or to have a thing to point at if the game crashes is void in my eyes.

Your point about 22k players not being enough for a long term game is fair enough but that is also all in the eye of the beholder. If I would like play FM on a really old system and have fun for a few years with prem loaded only that is fair enough. Having fun is not solely decided by the long term playabilty of a game, even playability is subjective at best.

I am sorry to hear people have a lot of problems with crashes and I can understand the frustration but I am simply stating that reading the warning message as a fail save SI put in doesn't represent the reality at all in my humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that exceeding this limit, slows your game down dramaticly?

Ive been playing FM for years now and have always played the game with all leagues selected which are over 150 in total.

Now with less leagues (about 115 from 45 nations, but with England to lvl 10, Germany to lvl 6 and Holland to lvl 6) it runs a lot slower. And i even have a brand new pc, which is twice as fast as my old one on which FM09 ran smooth as hell with all.

So is it becasue processing in FM10 is slower (dont think so)

Is it because of patch 10.2 and the memory issue?

Or is it because of those extra leagues?

Archived