new midfielder and fc/st roles in fm 2010

Hello,

Frst of all i think fm 2010 is so far the best in the series.

Quite a lot of changes too, just have to use to it.

Im a bit confused so far in 1 area: the new midfield & striker roles

Could u guys explain what are the differences between the below?

> central midfielder (tha im familiar with old good mc)

> deep lying playmaker

> ball winning midfielder

> box to box midfielder

> advanced playmaker

and strikers:

> deep lying forward

> advanced forward

> target man

> poacher

> complete forward

> defensive forward

> trequartista

I would appreciate a word of explanation about the above, as long as some examples (like zlatan would be a tm or..?)

thx

Agree with urbanjunkie. Read the description. And if your forward or player doesn't fit in that description, click Advanced, and fine tune his details. You might have forwards that don'f fit exactly into those generic roles.

I don't know how right these examples are but i'll give some (as barely no-one else will) and anyone can put me right if they think so...

Deep-lying Midfielder

Definition: A playmaker from the middle third of the pitch who controls play and starts attacking moves.

Example(s): Cesc Fabregas

(Note: in a DM position, the deep-lying midfielder would be more an Alonso or a Pirlo, who sits deeper between defence and midfield.)

Ball-winning Midfielder

Definition: A midfielder who tries to 'hunt' the opposition down and win the ball.

Example(s): Javier Mascherano, Wilson Palacios, Momo Sissoko

Box-to-box Midfielder

Definition: Somebody who gets up and down the field to either box, helping out the defence and contributing going forward - your "all action" type player.

Example(s): Michael Essien, Steven Gerrard

Advanced Playmaker

Definition: A playmaker towards the opposition's third, who looks to play between the oppositions defence and midfield and cause havoc from there.

Example(s): Kaka

Deep-lying Forward

Definition: A forward who drops off the front line and links the midfield with the attack. Often has the intention to supply those around him, including a higher positioned strike partner.

Example(s): Wayne Rooney

Advanced Forward

Definition: The 'spearhead' of a sides attack who generally looks to play off the last defender.

Example(s): Fernando Torres

Target Man

Definition: Somebody to hold up the ball or flick it on to others, they are often there to make space and chances for team-mates using their physical size.

Example(s): Zlatan Ibrahimovic, John Carew

Poacher

Definition: Focuses purely on scoring goals and is not a 'team' player, contributing little other than looking to find space for goalscoring opportunities.

Example(s): Pipo Inzaghi, Michael Owen, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Complete Forward

Definition: Somebody who combines a broad range of attributes, who can lead the line, drop off and link up, create for others, shoot from range, run with the ball at defences and so forth.

Example(s): Thierry Henry

Defensive Forward

Definition: Usually someone with a lot of stamina who can close down and work hard, trying to force errors and win possession in attack.

Example(s): Dirk Kuyt

Trequartista

Definition: A classic #10, someone who has looks to drop into the hole and make things happen. Has no real defensive responsibility.

Example(s): Francesco Totti

It's also worth noting that certain positions (Complete Forward, Trequartista in particular) are suited to the best players who are capable, whereas other positions can be used at any level.

I may technically be wrong in some of my examples, but at least if i start something off others can chip in and put me right.

Sorry if i sound like a noob but what do you mean?

when ur on the tactic screen and u pick his role, Deep-lying Midfielder, Box-to-box Midfielder etc. Under all the description is like a mini view of the players stats from his profile, depended on which role u give him different stats will highlight.

i was guessing that the highlight stats were the most important to that role

> central midfielder : All around midfield player. It really depends what role you have them in. Defend, support, Attack. A defensive midfielder would obviously do well set to defend and an attacking midfielder set to attack. (examples: Frank Lampard , Michael Essien, Yaya Toure )

> deep lying playmaker: A creative midfielder who prefers to sit back and pick out passes. They should be capable defensively, but creativity and passing should be most important in this role. (examples: Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Xavi Hernandez)

> ball winning midfielder: A tough, all action midfielder who is not afraid to put in tackles. This midfielder does not have to be technically proficient but should be aggressive and hard working. (examples: Darren Fletcher, Javier Mascherano, Gennaro Gatusso)

> box to box midfielder A midfielder who needs to be hard working and able to contribute defensively and to the attack. This is really an all around midfield player. (examples: Michael Essien, Michael Ballack, Gareth Barry)

> advanced playmaker: A creative attacking midfielder. This player won't contribute defensively but will wreak havoc on the opposition's defenders and feed the forwards with passes. (examples: Andres Iniesta, Deco, Ryan Giggs)

> deep lying forward: A forward who will look to drop deep and get involved in play. Often acts as a link between midfield and attack. This player should be creative and paired with a more advanced forward. (examples: Dimitar Berbatov, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sergio Aguero

> advanced forward: The forward who will get in behind the defence and look to play off the deep lying forward. Should be a good finisher. examples: Fernando Torres, Didier Drogba, Emmanuel Adebayor

> target man: Should be a big and strong forward. Should be capable with the ball at his feet and in the air as he will be the target and focal point of the attack. (examples: Didier Drogba, John Carew, Emile Heskey

> poacher: A forward who constantly be on the shoulder on defence waiting for a ball to finish off. Should be an extremely good finisher and have good off the ball movement. (examples: Michael Owen, Pipo Inzaghi, Alberto Gilardino

> complete forward: Like the box to box midfielder, this position is only for the best and most complete players. Will have to be a good all around player. (examples: Thierry Henry, David Villa, Samuel Eto'o

> defensive forward: A forward with a high work rate whose goal is to trouble the defence and press from high up the pitch. (examples: Dirk Kuyt, Carlos Tevez, Craig Bellamy)

> trequartista: A classy player whose main goal is to create. Should have high creativity and passing as this is a playmaker high up the pitch. (examples: Francesco Totti, Antonio Cassano, Dimitar Berbatov)

Guest Shogizzle

Well done Death. great response to the OP.

The original poster has come on here looking for a little advice/explanation which is a fundamental part of what any forum is about. (is it not, surely?) And instead he gets comments like 'it's self explanatory isnt it' or 'descriptions are given in game' well clearly this isnt enough which is why the guy is posting. I think theres a bit too much of this sort of attitude on here and would hope that if anyone doesnt actually have any constructive helpful input then they would just leave it at that.

Could we assume then with some of these roles that certain ones are incompatible with each other like a target man and a trequartista for example because they both are outlets and can lead to quick counters if the pass is intercepted or a deep lying playmaker and a defensive central midfielder because they both take up the same space?

Could we assume then with some of these roles that certain ones are incompatible with each other like a target man and a trequartista for example because they both are outlets and can lead to quick counters if the pass is intercepted or a deep lying playmaker and a defensive central midfielder because they both take up the same space?

I hope not. Similar players can exist and do pretty well in real life. Rooney and Tevez partnership up front during the 07/08 season for example or Yorke/Cole. Don't see why a deep lying playmaker and a defensive central midfielder would be incompatible, sure a ball winning midfielder and deep lying playmaker would probably be the more logical pairing but I'm sure it can be done.

The original poster has come on here looking for a little advice/explanation which is a fundamental part of what any forum is about. (is it not, surely?) And instead he gets comments like 'it's self explanatory isnt it' or 'descriptions are given in game' well clearly this isnt enough which is why the guy is posting. I think theres a bit too much of this sort of attitude on here and would hope that if anyone doesnt actually have any constructive helpful input then they would just leave it at that.

Get off your high horse. I gave a response to the OP, which he didn't state he was aware of. He got the answer he wanted in the end. No need for your tuppence worth.

Guest Shogizzle
Get off your high horse. I gave a response to the OP, which he didn't state he was aware of. He got the answer he wanted in the end. No need for your tuppence worth.

If you feel the need to reply to my statement then you must find relevance in my point to your post.

thanks a lot guys

That made some things clear to me

Will try to digg some more info in the game too in my fiorentina game

as of now i dont really see the difference between:

complete forward - advanced forward

box 2 box mid - central midfielder

Can Trequartista be used in League 1, or is it only for top players?

It sounds exactly the role for Carl Baker of Stockport, a classy AMC who will look to create chances for others sometimes by taking on the oppositions entire team first, but I'm unsure if it'll work if its only designed for top players.

Well done shogizzle some of the people on this forum come across as real arseholes the guy was only asking for a bit more explanation on something he wasn't really sure about and he gets really snidey comments from some people.

intresting thing i found out:

when reading about the 'deep lying forward' - found on the web:

Such is the peculiarity of the position that the chosen tag differs from country to country, being known as the trequartista in Italy, the ‘Number Ten’ in South America and the ‘9 and a half’ in France. However, most of the greatest teams in the game have revolved around this type of player.

seems that deep lying forward and trequartista is basiclly the same

and some nfo about 'trequartista'

A trequartista on the other hand is a player who operates in the ‘hole’ between the defence and the midfield of the opposition and tries to utilize that space to create goal scoring opportunities for his team.

Classic modern day examples of a trequartista are Zinedine Zidane, Pablo Aimar and Manuel Rui Costa who are/were masters at pulling strings from their positions in the hole.Roberto Baggio is another archetypical example of a trequartista as he very seldom fitted into a team formation, opting instead to move into positions of space offered by the opposition.

The Argentineans refer to the trequartista as the “enganche”, a position which was made famous by the great Diego Maradona. The midfield diamond that the Argentinean National Team often employs permits the presence of an enganche who is the creative fulcrum of the team. The enganche acts as the link between the midfield and the front line and has a celebrated place in Argentinean football culture. The breathtaking football that Argentina produced in the 2006 World Cup, with Riquelme playing as the enghance is I am sure permanently etched in most of our minds. The Spaniards have employed a similarly impressive formation in the ongoing European Championships with the brilliant David Silva and the cheeky Anders Iniesta drifting in from wide positions into spaces between the central midfield and defence of the opposition and in the process creating room for the full-backs, Ramos and Capdevilla to make attacking runs on the flanks. Netherlands have also made full use of the phenomenal talents of Wesley Sneijder by playing him as the trequartista

xavi, scholes aren't deep lying but instead andrea pirlo / carrick / xabi alonso - now they are deep lying.

some more examples;

> deep lying playmaker: see above

> ball winning midfielder: wilson palacios, gennaro gattuso, darren fletcher

> box to box midfielder: michael essien, stevie g, patrick vieira

> advanced playmaker: xavi, andres iniesta, juan riquelme

> deep lying forward: wayne rooney, david silva

> advanced forward: thierry henry, samuel eto'o, fernando torres

> target man: didier drogba, martin palermo, diego milito

> poacher: ruud van nistelrooy, pippo inzaghi

> complete forward: david villa, gabriel batistuta, ronaldo

> defensive forward: carlos tevez, dirk kuyt

> trequartista: totti, del piero

What would you guys class Modric as?

I'm playing him behind the front two at the moment in a 4-3-1-2 formation. I have him as an advanced playmaker.

I guess this is the beauty of the game and football. If the player has the right qualities he can possibly handle a number of different 'roles'.

xavi, scholes aren't deep lying but instead andrea pirlo / carrick / xabi alonso - now they are deep lying.

Scholes has definitely been a deep lying playmaker for a good 3 or 4 years now. In his earlier days he was a much more attack oriented player but these days he's often the least advanced midfielder for United.

Maybe Xavi's not but I think he's closer to a deep lying playmaker than advanced. When I think of an advanced playmaker I think of someone like David Silva or Kaka. Maybe I'm wrong?

What would you guys class Modric as?

I'm playing him behind the front two at the moment in a 4-3-1-2 formation. I have him as an advanced playmaker.

I guess this is the beauty of the game and football. If the player has the right qualities he can possibly handle a number of different 'roles'.

Yeah I'd definitely play Modric as an advanced playmaker, especially if you're playing him as an AMC.

Looks like this thread has covered real life examples of players that play in the wings, midfield, and up front. Now what about the defenders and goalkeeper?

Ball Playing Defender: Ferdinand and Pique

Limited Defender: Terry and Carragher

Central Defender: Balance between the two other types of center backs

Libero and Sweeper: Not so commonplace in the modern game, players that fit the criteria usually end up playing in central defence or as a defensive midfielder.

Fullback: Neville, Maldini, Sagnol

Wingback: Alves, Maicon, Maxwell

Oh, and I don't think inside forward's been covered yet. I like to think of Ronaldo/Messi cutting in from the wing as playing an inside forward role. Maybe even Wayne Rooney when he's played on the left hand side of the pitch.

The Argentineans refer to the trequartista as the “enganche”, a position which was made famous by the great Diego Maradona. The midfield diamond that the Argentinean National Team often employs permits the presence of an enganche who is the creative fulcrum of the team. The enganche acts as the link between the midfield and the front line and has a celebrated place in Argentinean football culture. The breathtaking football that Argentina produced in the 2006 World Cup, with Riquelme playing as the enghance is I am sure permanently etched in most of our minds.

Im argentinian, and you're right, the "enganche" is the player who plays between the midfielders and the strikers. He feeds them anywhere and is the owner of the ball when attacking. He is probably the most important player in the team as the ball has to pass through him anytime. Unfortunately, nowadays this kind of player is almost extinct. Riquelme is a good example of "enganche".

In the past there was a discussion about whether Aimar was a "enganche" or not as he didn't have Riquelme's ability of passing the ball so accurately. Every argentinian is used to watching their team using a "enganche" but right now we are looking for a new attacking midfielder who can do wonderful things such as backheels, marvelous passes etc. For us, it's a symbol of leadership and luxury, we do need a "enganche" but bearing in mind that nowadays the football has evolved , we have to get used to this new way of playing that is playing without "enganche".

Some people used to say that Riquelme and Aimar could play together as they were different players. Aimar a quick "dribbler" and Riquelme a quick brain. In the U-20 WC won by ARgentina, they played together.

Bilardo used to say that is not good to call them "enganche" as the word means "a link between two things" so it would be too much obvious that this kind of player is the link between the midfield and the attack.

some time ago i read that riquelme is more of an deep lying playmaker....which doesnt actually fit to his FM description.

And actually riquelme failed 2 impress when playing as amc/adv playmaker in 1 of my 09 games....pitty that back then i didnt try 2 test him as deep lying playmaker.

btw. how would u guys play Mutu?

Gilardino is a 100% poacher, but im having difficulties fitting Mutu....

seems that deep lying forward and trequartista is basiclly the same

I think the difference is basically that the trequartista is exempt from almost any defensive work.

Scholes has most certainly become a deep lying playmaker, he is one of the first I think of for that role nowadays.

How do?

I have Defoe playing as a Trequirista in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation. Hes scoring for fun with the two attacking midfielders as inside forwards on attack duty.

Just a quick question what role would you see Defoe as if he was playing up front on his own?

Only asking as im reading through this and trequirista does not sound like Mr Jermaine!

I don't know how right these examples are but i'll give some (as barely no-one else will) and anyone can put me right if they think so...

Deep-lying Midfielder

Definition: A playmaker from the middle third of the pitch who controls play and starts attacking moves.

Example(s): Cesc Fabregas

(Note: in a DM position, the deep-lying midfielder would be more an Alonso or a Pirlo, who sits deeper between defence and midfield.)

Ball-winning Midfielder

Definition: A midfielder who tries to 'hunt' the opposition down and win the ball.

Example(s): Javier Mascherano, Wilson Palacios, Momo Sissoko

Box-to-box Midfielder

Definition: Somebody who gets up and down the field to either box, helping out the defence and contributing going forward - your "all action" type player.

Example(s): Michael Essien, Steven Gerrard

Advanced Playmaker

Definition: A playmaker towards the opposition's third, who looks to play between the oppositions defence and midfield and cause havoc from there.

Example(s): Kaka

Deep-lying Forward

Definition: A forward who drops off the front line and links the midfield with the attack. Often has the intention to supply those around him, including a higher positioned strike partner.

Example(s): Wayne Rooney

Advanced Forward

Definition: The 'spearhead' of a sides attack who generally looks to play off the last defender.

Example(s): Fernando Torres

Target Man

Definition: Somebody to hold up the ball or flick it on to others, they are often there to make space and chances for team-mates using their physical size.

Example(s): Zlatan Ibrahimovic, John Carew

Poacher

Definition: Focuses purely on scoring goals and is not a 'team' player, contributing little other than looking to find space for goalscoring opportunities.

Example(s): Pipo Inzaghi, Michael Owen, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Complete Forward

Definition: Somebody who combines a broad range of attributes, who can lead the line, drop off and link up, create for others, shoot from range, run with the ball at defences and so forth.

Example(s): Thierry Henry

Defensive Forward

Definition: Usually someone with a lot of stamina who can close down and work hard, trying to force errors and win possession in attack.

Example(s): Dirk Kuyt

Trequartista

Definition: A classic #10, someone who has looks to drop into the hole and make things happen. Has no real defensive responsibility.

Example(s): Francesco Totti

It's also worth noting that certain positions (Complete Forward, Trequartista in particular) are suited to the best players who are capable, whereas other positions can be used at any level.

I may technically be wrong in some of my examples, but at least if i start something off others can chip in and put me right.

You made one mistake. Ibrahimovic is a Complete striker and not a target man. A targetman is someone like Luka Toni, Peter Crouch or Trezeguet.

I would see Defoe more as a Poucher, personally. Has not got the rest of the skill set required to be a Trequirista.

I have just notice (it may have already been meantioned) that in basic mode if you select the role in the tactics screen for a player it highlights the skill the player should have for the role. (Click Tactics - click the ">" next to the player name - change the Role and the skills highlight)

Xavi is certainly not an advanced playmaker. Him and Pirlo are the best deep sitting playmakers in the game in my opinion.

If you take the Barca midfield 3 you have Toure primarily as the ball winner, Xavi searches out Messi, Henry, Ibra and Iniesta plays as the advanced playmaker, finding thr gaps that the front 3 create.

• 5 months later...

OK, so I love this thread... I have a few questions to some of you...

Does anyone play with two playmakers on the pitch at the same time? I'm tempted to use both a Deep Lying and Advanced playmaker with Chelsea... Ok, let me back up first... I was curious as to this whole new 'roles' thing, so I imput every Chelsea player into a spreadsheet with all their ratings that come into play for any of the roles. Then using some simple formulas (the average of the ratings highlighted as 'important' when choosing a role in the tactics screen), I came up with a 'rating' at each role for each player...

Basically, it told me that Deco plays best as an Advanced Playmaker, far better than in any other role. And while Ballack is good at the Box2Box role, he's best suited at Deep Lying Playmaker. When the occasion comes that both are needed in the lineup (Lampard took a knock for example, and Mikel and Essien are at Cup of Nations), is it counterproductive to have them both in a Playmaker role?

I'm trying to play the season out using each player in their 'best' role as much as possible...

Oh, funny thing. Essien's ratings put him higher at FB than any other player I've tried. When he showed up as better than Ashley Cole, I got curious, and he's higher rated than any of the top 20 fullbacks I looked at (just nudging Sergio Ramos)... so I've been using Essien at Right Back when I've got all my CM's present and fit...

Some other funny notes, I looked at some other EPL stars, and Torres grades out equally in Advanced Forward, Poacher and Complete Forward. Gerrard is best used as a *cough* Wide Midfielder... then as a Box2Box midfielder... Defoe is a poacher without a doubt. Rooney is best as an Inside Forward in the AMC slot. I took over England with a 2nd manager to kill time and see some International matches, and in order to utilize the best players in their best positions, I've been lining up in a 4-4-1-1...

I have a flat back 4 of

LB Ashley Cole Full Back Support

CB John Terry Central Defender Stopper

CB Rio Ferdinand Central Defender Cover

RB Owen Hargreaves Wing Back Support * I was shocked that he's one of the top WB's I've checked

A 4 man midfield using

LM Gareth Barry Wide Midfielder Support

CM Frank Lampard Box 2 Box Midfielder Support

CM Michael Carrick Deep Lying Playmaker Support

RM Steven Gerrard Wide Midfielder Support

And then on attack, I am using

AMC Wayne Rooney Inside Forward Attack * In the slot above Carrick, not in the middle slot and I went into the advanced settings and upped his 'mentality' to keep him a bit further up the pitch

ST Jermaine Defoe Poacher * I'm using defoe because he's the 2nd rated behind Michael Young, who's been hurt every time I go to select a squad... also, he's in the left striker slot.

I'm seeing a really nice brand of football being played, with a GREAT shape, and so far really good results. I'm interested to see what happens when Owen gets back, though Defoe has been great so far, with two goals in three matches. The real stars have been Lampard (7.7 rating in 3 matches, Gerrard (8.1) and Rooney (7.9) though, which is the goal, right? Gerrard has 4 assists...

I've thought about sliding Gerrard up into the AMR slot and using him as an advanced playmaker there, and moving Hargreaves to WBR slot, then changing Carracks role to Ball Winner... and changing the team flow to 'right wing' and seeing what happens... With Carrack slightly more defensive, and Rio set to cover and having pace in the CB slot, I think I'll be OK. I'd have to move Rooney to the center hole there, but I might keep Defoe (or Owen) in the left striker slot to keep some spacing.

Anyhow, even though it's a pain in the balls to go and imput their ratings every time a squad selection roles around for England, I feel like it's given me a better understanding of how to line them up at match time. BTW, there isn't a single goalkeeper that stands out... in fact they are all terrible. I've been using Joe Hart.

Well, there it is. My nerdiness with this game knows no bounds.

I'm off to play again... i put in a bid for Rene Adler last night as Petr Cech is apparently unhappy at Stamford Bridge...

Oh, also... 1 more thing...

When looking at the older players, I noticed that most DM's have great ratings for FB... so it got me thinking to how to manipulate this information... and since I personally don't like small FB's, and prefer a 5'10-6'0 guy, it made sense to re-train some lower rated DM's to FB... Well, the rusults were awesome. I did this using Liverpool with a tiny database and not watching matches... basically, I just set up training for Lucas and about 4 other DM's I bought right off to see... Well, now Lucas is the 2nd best FB in the EPL.

Not sure that this is a good thing, but it is what it is. If you are looking for a good backup FB or FB for the future, think about retraining a DM.... especially one with good crossing and dribbling numbers (Lucas was 13 and 12 out of the gate, and rose to 15 and 13 after 1 year)... Maschereno rated high because of his ridiculous Marking, Tackling, Work Rate, Teamwork numbers, but his skill numbers still lacked. I didn't feel he'd fit at FB. But guys like Lucas and Essien work great.

The other quirk I played with in that Liverpool season was retraining some Wingers to AMC and using them as Inside Forwards. Again, worked like a charm. Basically, the idea was that I wanted to play a 4-3-3 with two AMC Inside Forwards with the 'wide play' switched to 'hug line' and a Complete Forward up front... Then my midfield '3' would be three DM's, one set to Anchorman and one to Playmaker, and one support man with their mentality upped a few ticks... I'd use my FB's in a super modifed 'mentality' to way attack to create width... It worked out well at Liverpool...

LB Aurelio === Wing Back Attack * best role is Wide Mid anyhow, so let him attack away

CB Carragher === Cent Def Def * sometimes against good opponents I set the CB's to limited def

CB Skrtel === Cent Def Def

RB Lucas === Wing Back Attack * got a rating of (7.3) for the season... shocking, cus he stinks IRL.

DM Gerrard === Deep Lying Playmaker * basically, I set to DLP and upped mentality a few ticks

DM Maschereno === Anchorman * with an upped mentality a few ticks

DM Aquilani === Def Mid Support * with an upped mentality a few ticks, tried to mimick B2B settings

AMCL Maxi === Inside Forward Support * was hurt alot, meaning others played a ton, but 14 goals

AMCR Babel === Inside Forward Support * turned into a killer...

FC Torres === Complete Forward * perfect for him, gave him a LOT of freedom.

I scored a crapload of goals, playing kind of narrow... Torres was absolutely unhinged, netting 34 goals in the season, and being out for a few weeks... Gerrard was a beast tallying 24 assists. It also kind of found a role for Babel, as he tallied 21 goals.

Archived