The Third Annual CSE Awards: Discussion Thread

It's that time of year again folks. I'd like to say that you all know how it works but there have been a number of new users recently so you might not.

For those who want to see what all the fuss is about, here is last year's awards ceremony, and here is the one from the year before that (intermingled with the discussion about it).

A few notable changes from those two are that it will now be mandatory to vote for the awards in private. This is to stop the excitement being ruined for those who feel tempted to count the votes themselves and just makes everything easier. The second change is that I will be hosting this year's awards, rather than birdy123. Finally, those involved in the process will not all be counting the votes this year, and I will do this alone. As long as you can trust my neutrality, this is to keep the result known by as few people as possible.

This year's awards are scheduled to take place in late August, as that is the time where people are still on holidays from work but not actually on holiday. Prior to that there will be a voting period, probably from around the 1st August to the 16th August. This means that we have just over a month to organise the awards: the awards that will be presented, the nominations for those awards, and anything else regarding the awards. As per last year, I will need some people to help me with this nomination process. If you are interested in doing so, make a note of it here and you may be contacted if required.

Bear in mind the following requirements/useful attributes before applying to be a part of the nomination process:

• You should have a e-mail account that you use regularly and are willing to share. Presumably, as a member of these forums, you have an e-mail account, and presumably you use it regularly.
  • You should have a Windows Live Messenger account or another such account so that we can contact you through WLM. This won't be used often, just once or twice.
  • You should be a well-respected member interested in devoting the time to running the awards, including writing up citations.

If you are selected, the process will run something like this:

• The Ideas Phase - Here we have a Windows Live Messenger conversation discussing any changes to the format, including foremost any new awards or discontinuation of old awards
  • The Nominations Phase - You will compose your personal nominations for each award we have decided to present. You then send these to me.
  • The Final Nominations Phase - We will discuss all of the nominations and narrow it down to a shortlist for everyone to vote on. This will be done on Windows Live Messenger and, in the past, has been a long conversation!

As well as using this thread to register your intention to help with the process, you may discuss anything relating to the awards in here.

i know you'll all be gutted to hear that the pioneer is out (that's riddled with sarcasm btw). but the only thread(s) i come here for now are loked's, i have no idea about anything else that goes on. i guess my time as an integral poster has long gone.

Looking forward to these, I don't currently have MSN messenger, but if you are still in need of help I can quickly create one :) Of course would have to take into account my time zone...no chance in Kiwi land...maybe Pluck, Whoopy & I can have a discussion and submit it to the rest hehe.

Only away between July 10th & 12th, at home bundled up against winter the rest of the time.

I would love to help out, but I doubt I would be able to attend the Messenger talks and I wouldn't have thought that I've been a member for long enough either.

Looking forward to them none the less :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your interest. The team of five was decided a little while ago, and we have completed the first phase. An extra three people have been brought in to help with the second phase, which means that if you have registered your interest in helping here but haven't been contacted by me, I'm afraid you won't be able to help with this year's awards. Keep participating in the community however, there's always next year too!

would just like to say that i was planning on asking canvey to run these years awards before he approached me. he's clearly a great asset to this forum so shower him with the praise he deserves. couldn't be a better user to have stepped into the role that myself and alex had for so long. wp sir.

would just like to say that i was planning on asking canvey to run these years awards before he approached me. he's clearly a great asset to this forum so shower him with the praise he deserves. couldn't be a better user to have stepped into the role that myself and alex had for so long. wp sir.

Comparison of organisational performance so far:

canvey >>>>> birdy

;):D

Archived