Playing in Full Match mode:

Since FM2007, playing in Full Match mode has become the only way for me.

Previously, I would be racing along in Highlights mode, and sit and wonder how things could one minute be looking rosy, and then all of a sudden, we would conceed a goal out of nowhere, with no warning signs in the commentary.

It was then that I decided to play a few games in Full Match mode, to see if I could spot what was going wrong. I haven't looked back since. :)

It stands to reason when you think about it, but those 'warning signs' that I thought were not there, are indeed there, just that when you are not 'fully present' as a manager, you can't always see them.

In Full Mode, you quickly notice how the opposition have made minor adjustments to their tactics, or how that tricky winger is getting too much space. You notice how that quick striker is getting in behind your defence, or the passes going astray that are gifting possession to your opponent; and when playing in Full Mode, and noticing these problems, it enables you to make the necesary alterations to combat such threats.

I mean, when you think about it logically, it becomes rather obvious really.

Can you imagine a manager in real life, saying to his assistant, "Hey Ass Man, I'm just popping up to the bar for a bit, give me a shout if there's any highlights or anything I need to know about, and I'll rush back down and see if I can figure out what's going on". ;)

How can we expect to have our finger on the pulse, and know what's going on, if we're not watching the match? :)

Success has come so much easier for me, since adopting this policy. There are so many things that you can notice when viewing in Full Mode, that would pass you by when playing in Highlights, that by the time they occur, it's too late to prevent the dastardly outcomes from impacting on the scoreline.

Not only that, but I've found that once you get into it, playing in Full Match mode, I find the games far more enjoyable. I can sit and appreciate the football, as my side play their fluid possession game, and feel the tension in "real time", as we try to soak up late pressure, all the time, feeling so much more in control, being able to spot potential problems as they arise.

My purposes in writing this piece are twofold.

One, in the hope that it may encourage others who are having difficulties with the game, to be able to learn to observe and correct the problems that are countering their tactics, and two, to see if I'm alone in my perspective, or if there are other managers out there who enjoy playing the game in the level of detail that I find to be invaluable to my relative success?

I would look forward to hearing from those in both categories. :)

Great post and very true.

FM09 is the first time that I've spent a whole season watching all my matches in full, although I am sticking to 2D rather than 3D.

It definitely helps with the illusion of realism, and helps (as you say) to identify warning signs.

Most interestingly for me is watching which players are the most involved in the game. I've since found a couple of players who I thought were doing particularly badly because of a lack of goals and assists are actually the reason for us having so much possession and tend to start off a lot of the attacking moves.

Certainly makes the game feel a lot different to playing in highlights mode.

I'd encourage other people to give it a go, if only for a handful of games.

As in, each half is 45 minutes? I dont know if I could sit through a 90 minute game match. Extended would probably be the furthest highlight for me.

Saying that, you raise good points Bennico, and I'll try the Full Match highlight sometime.

I play vital matches in full, Champions League Final, etc.. but I just can't be bothered for league games or early cup rounds. For me the pleasure of FM is less about winning matches then building a team, dismantling that team and using the proceeds to build an even better team. The matches are kind of just an incidental annoyance on the road to long term glory.

If im struggling with a team I use it to further spot what exactly is going wrong, sometimes also in the beginning of of a new team/in the last buildup training matches.

A full season I'd never as it is simply not nessecarry in order to succede, also I enjoy the season to season advancements and in full lenght mode, seasons simply take too long.

If you have the speed bar to the before-last notch you can still watch the game if full and only spend about 20 mins. that said i still cant get myself to sit through a whole game - too much FM to go through and too little time.

whose great idea was to invent a 40 hour workweek?

theres nowt more satsifying that watching a game in full and spotting a chink in the oppositions armour

it might be a slow left back that keeps missing interceptions, then i get my fastest winger to un past him, get my wing back to send through balls over his head and direct everything down his wing

that being said, if i go a couple of goals up, ill just key/extend it up

Damn a whole season?!?! Thats insane ;)

Ive watched the full match myself and i enjoyed it (Prob because i won the World Cup final with Nigeria vs Brazil 5-0) but to let every match last 90 minutes is too much. I prefer to only play the big games like that ie CL final, WC or EC finals...

Good story though :)

I've watched a few matches in full and while it certainly helped me to understand what's going on the pitch much better than when watching highlights, I found the match engine flaws to be a lot more annoying as well. Also, watching little blobs playing football for 90 mins is not exactly the most exciting thing ever and the animations in 3D are so repetitive and poorly done it's pretty much unwatchable. That's why I went back to extended highlights.

There's one thing I noticed, however. Usually, people point out how the match engine in FM is by far the most realistic out there because it simulates a full 90 mins match. But is that actually true? On normal match speed setting the game is too slow compared to real life AND the clock is faster. When you slow the match down so the clock is the same speed as RL clock, the game runs in slow motion. Doesn't that mean the match time is speeded up in the game and it's not really a 90 mins football simulation?

Thank you all for the replies.

I don't have time to respond to every post, but I appreciated them all, so thanks for contributing.

Most interestingly for me is watching which players are the most involved in the game. I've since found a couple of players who I thought were doing particularly badly because of a lack of goals and assists are actually the reason for us having so much possession and tend to start off a lot of the attacking moves.

Indeed, I've often looked at the match ratings, particularly thinking of lowish ones (6-7's) and wondered how such and such a player wasn't marked much higher for his display. If I'd only been watching the highlights, I'd not have known the many important 'little things' that said player contributed to the game, and judge his performance only on his final rating, rather than from actually seeing him play on the pitch.

As you say with strikers, particularly I find with my 'holding' striker, often very much of his excellent hold up work and linking of the play can go unnoticed by the match engine's rating system. It seems if he doesn't score, or perhaps add a few assists during the game, the amount of work-rate and effort he put in, all the key headers he won to keep up the momentum and possession, his tracking back, hassling the defenders in possession etc, is sometimes not enough to earn a rating above 6 (in the old FM07 rating terms), or around 6.4-7.0 in FM09; when without the key role he performed for us, we likely would not have won the game.

I tend to trust my own eyes more now, rather than just his final rating, although obviously I do still take those general ratings into account.

I play vital matches in full, Champions League Final, etc.. but I just can't be bothered for league games or early cup rounds. For me the pleasure of FM is less about winning matches then building a team, dismantling that team and using the proceeds to build an even better team. The matches are kind of just an incidental annoyance on the road to long term glory.

An interesting perspective, thank you. :)

Whilst not in accord with my personal gameplaying preferences, your post highlights well, how when taking into account the scope and immersion of the game, we all find differing factors that appeal to us, and naturally develop our own unique management 'styles' to suit the way we enjoy playing the game.

Your preferences are ironically almost the polar opposite of mine, as I rarely delve into the transfer market, even if I am allocated large funds. I find my enjoyment in taking on the actual real life squad of my Home City's Team, and getting as much as I can out of them, as I like to play with mostly my team's "real life" players, and focus on developing my youth system. I find that the more players I bring in, and the less it 'feels' like 'my Club', the faster the addictiveness and immersion tends to wane for me. :)

theres nowt more satsifying that watching a game in full and spotting a chink in the oppositions armour

it might be a slow left back that keeps missing interceptions, then i get my fastest winger to run past him, get my wing back to send through balls over his head and direct everything down his wing

Indeed, very true.

It feels good, to know that your keen eye for detail and tactical accumen, has helped to outwit and unlock the opposition defences, and had a hand in turning a game in your favour. :)

whose great idea was to invent a 40 hour workweek?

Lol, quite. It clearly should have been the other way around! A 40 hour FM week, followed by the two day "Work-end". :)

Yes, I watch full matches too. Gaming is slower this way, but much more satisfying. However, instead of getting satisfaction out of accomplishing long-term goals (this happens very rarely because I have only completed 3 seasons this far), the immersion and satisfaction usually comes from achieving short term ones. For example, exploiting the opposition inadequacies in a specific match, creating tactical combinations to score a goal exactly in the way I have imagined it, countering the opposition tactics, keeping a clean sheet etc. I can sometimes spend a whole 2 hrs to only play one (important) match, with all the research I do myself for the opponent and all the tweaking before and during the match. The result often justifies it all.

Watching full matches has made me a more successful manager, has made me appreciate all the little things in this game, and has taught me that there are many more ways to get satisfaction from this game than just winning trophies.

I guess it depends how seriously you want to play the game.

Myself I always play full match because I don't fel you can get a true picture of how you team is performing or where the problems if you just watch the highlights. how many times have you gone to a match and then come home to watch match of the day or something similer and think it is a different match to the one you attended. You can't always rely on the assistant or the analysis

I got hooked on full match mode at Werder Bremen in FM08. We were about to play a crunch match against arch rivals Bayern Munich and I was eating my tea at the same time so wanted to just sit back and watch the game rather than have it whiz by whilst I was eating. I became fascinated by watching my 2 centre-backs competing against the 2 giant Bayern strikers. Most of it was the type of stuff you don't see on key highlights (or even extended), but it was great to see the tactical battle between those 4 players. Also I enjoyed watching the rest of my team. We took the lead, but in the end Miroslav "Judas" Klose got the better of our centre-backs and Bayern won 2-1, but from that day I watched probably ~75% of Werder Bremen's matches in full match mode for the next 2-3 seasons.

I've never really been interested with any of the other teams I've managed though (except occasionally Fiorentina). At Werder Bremen it was all about trying to play stylish football for me. I wanted results too of course (board expected a title challenge every season so I'd soon lose my job else), but I wanted style first. And, of course, there's not much point setting up a team to play a tactic I find pleasing on the eye if I then don't bother to watch them play.

Never watched an FM09 match in full match mode though, although I've only managed a few Scottish teams so far who (Hibernian aside) aren't exactly playing fluid beautifil football that I'd want to sit and watch in all its "glory" :p

Thanks for your replies. :)

Yes, I watch full matches too. Gaming is slower this way, but much more satisfying. However, instead of getting satisfaction out of accomplishing long-term goals (this happens very rarely because I have only completed 3 seasons this far), the immersion and satisfaction usually comes from achieving short term ones.

I can sometimes spend a whole 2 hrs to only play one (important) match, with all the research I do myself for the opponent and all the tweaking before and during the match. The result often justifies it all.

Watching full matches has made me a more successful manager, has made me appreciate all the little things in this game, and has taught me that there are many more ways to get satisfaction from this game than just winning trophies.

An excellent analysis. I too will usually spend around two hours per game, ensuring every detail is accounted for. :)

I usually have around four hours of playing time between getting in from work, dealing with usual daily commitments, and going to bed. Usually squeeze in a game or two on FM a night before sleep. Makes the season feel more 'real-time' for me too that way. In real life, I will spend the week looking forward to our next game at the weekend, and with FM, I'll spend the day looking forward to my evening fixture(s). :)

I became fascinated by watching my 2 centre-backs competing against the 2 giant Bayern strikers. Most of it was the type of stuff you don't see on key highlights (or even extended), but it was great to see the tactical battle between those 4 players.

Indeed, that was one of the things that first captivated me too on Full mode. Watching Michael "Killer" Svensson clattering into challenges, and dominating in the air. Like you say, that kind of action rarely makes the highlights, and it was very refreshing to watch the impact of my centre backs on the game. Some of the class tackles and interceptions they make that prove to be significant to attaining a result, and I would miss them in highlight mode.

Watching matches in full?! Crikey that requires World of Warcraft hardcore time commitment.

I bought a PSP and the handheld version so I could get the experience without FM taking over my life completely!

But I don't doubt that you could probably learn a lot from watching a 90 minute game.

Watching matches in full?! Crikey that requires World of Warcraft hardcore time commitment.

I bought a PSP and the handheld version so I could get the experience without FM taking over my life completely!

But I don't doubt that you could probably learn a lot from watching a 90 minute game.

Well, playing matches in full doesn't necessarily mean you spend your whole day playing FM :) The only difference is that going through a season takes much longer than when you watch highlights only. Personally I don't find that a problem as the game never really ends anyway.

I would definitely consider watching matches in full if/when SI implement proper physics and animations in future so that that it actually feels like watching a football match.

What speed do you use to watch a game in Full Match mode?

How long does it take, depending upon the speed?

What speed is best?

What is the fastest speed to watch yet get all the details needed to evaluate and enjoy the game in Full Mode?

I would like to continue playing in full match mode (have just played 2 games with it) but what I'm noticing is that I hardly get any shots on goal (which obviously leads to hardly any goals), yet the moment I switch to commentary only, the goals start flying in.

It's very. very. very. frustrating. Particularly as I would LIKE to become a hardcore full match player, but finding it a lesson in frustration.

Commentary only for me from now on, its the only way I can get my team to score.

[before anyone asks, yes its a paid-for copy, via steam - no piracy here, and its obviously not a tactics thing......it could just be a coincidence that when I switch to commentary in a match the goals start coming, but if thats the case, its a frustrating coincidence, and the impression I#m getting is that its not a coincidence at all).

I would like to continue playing in full match mode (have just played 2 games with it) but what I'm noticing is that I hardly get any shots on goal (which obviously leads to hardly any goals), yet the moment I switch to commentary only, the goals start flying in.

It's very. very. very. frustrating. Particularly as I would LIKE to become a hardcore full match player, but finding it a lesson in frustration.

Commentary only for me from now on, its the only way I can get my team to score.

[before anyone asks, yes its a paid-for copy, via steam - no piracy here, and its obviously not a tactics thing......it could just be a coincidence that when I switch to commentary in a match the goals start coming, but if thats the case, its a frustrating coincidence, and the impression I#m getting is that its not a coincidence at all).

I'm afraid but it's all in your head. It is a coincidence

Ever sing CM4 I've watched each and every single moment of my team playing a match. I want to know who does what, who doesn't do what, who is sticking to my instructions, who is ignoring my detailed instructions to be all billy big boots, and I want to see exactly when it happens. I wouldn't allow the highlight indicator to be in charge of what I can and can't see with regards to my own team and the players that are partly responsible for keeping me in a job. It only stands to reason, you wouldn't see Sir Alex Ferguson pop in and out during a match, entering when there's a goalscoring opportunity and leaving to get a big mac when the game has hit a sticky spell. Some people complain that football manager isn't as realistic as it could, or indeed should be, but perhaps they have to look at themselves harder because how realistic is it to have a manager that only view 10-30 minutes of a match? Not very is the answer to that one.

I may only get around 3 or 4 matches in per day but that's fine by me, as long as I see what a player is doing each and every minute of a match then I'll accept taking a while to complete a full season. You only get what you put into this game. I've spent from the day of release to today working on my tactics and my training regime as well as my shortlist, I haven't played a season yet as I'm still waiting on the final patch to be released, but when the patch does get released I know that I'll be prepared.

Some people like to plug-and-play and that's fine, but it's not me.

I'm afraid but it's all in your head. It is a coincidence

I'm not looking for an argument or anything, and I'm not disagreeing with you outright, but are you sure its in my head?

I saved a league cup match against Hartlepool before kickoff. I played the whole match in 3-d and got a 0-0 scoreline. I think I had 2 chances on goal in the whole match. It was very boring and frustrating to watch.

Then I quit and replayed the same match in commentary only, making all the same decisions in pre-match, etc, and came out with a 2-0 and plenty of shots on goal.

Just to be extra pedantic, I then replayed the match a third time, did the 1st half in 3d and the 2nd half in commentary and guess what? Hardly any shots on goal in the 1st half, but plenty in the 2nd.

I could probably prove what I'm saying with some screen caps but my motivation for using 3-d match now is killed - but if anyone's really that interested, I'll run the whole experiment again with screen caps.....but its a bit hard to take being told its all in my head when I've gone out of my way to test what I'm saying.

I have always played out every competitive match (at the fastest speed possible - your eyes get used to it). To be honest, it's what I love about this game - how realistic the match engine is. And when I follow real-life teams, I focus more on the games themselves then the transfers, training and other off-the-field duties that many like so much about this game (I love that too, but I enjoy the games themselves most).

As in, each half is 45 minutes? I dont know if I could sit through a 90 minute game match. Extended would probably be the furthest highlight for me.

Actually it depends what you have the match speed set to. I usually play 2 notches from fastest and I can't remember exactly but I think it only took around 15mins to play a half.

I've tried full match purely to build tactics with in the last 2 years games but alas I am rubbish and I need to be in the mood to try it in the first place. One day it will all magically all click into place for me though. I hope.

• 9 months later...

I think that this is one of the most important point on the forum. Wanted to start new post about full match, did a search and found this one. Pretty much everything is said in here. I've been playing fm(cm) from the very beginning, started full match since 08. I can tell that it is, as most of u expressed entirely different game this way. This is the only way to play it right. You start appreciating it much more and how it has come close to reality. Every thing that you cant understand and have trouble with, guess what u can when watching the game. In fm10 it takes like 15 min. at 3/4 of the speed for a game. I think at that pace it takes one season in full math as it would take 3 in highlights and that's not bad. If I try highlights mode now I get bored instantly. I feel it is complete waste of time just to sit there and hope it all turns up the way wish when you can make a difference. I think it's much better to really play just 10 games this way then 10 seasons in other ways.

Stza2008 made interesting point. I believe that it is just a coincidence, maybe weather effect or something. I know that in fm10 it is not the case. Ive tried a similar experiment. Its the other way around because I find the way to beat opponent in full m.

Great post Bennico, too bad it's not appreciated more.

Well i play my matches in 3d and in extended mode unless it s the world cup final or something like that then that is when i watch it in full match mode but i really dont know how you can watch a match in full every game that is just crazy man but it is your choice.

The match that i always love to watch in 3d and in full is the world cup final. It gives you a feel that you are actually viewing the world cup final lol.

• 1 year later...
Since FM2007, playing in Full Match mode has become the only way for me.

Previously, I would be racing along in Highlights mode, and sit and wonder how things could one minute be looking rosy, and then all of a sudden, we would conceed a goal out of nowhere, with no warning signs in the commentary.

It was then that I decided to play a few games in Full Match mode, to see if I could spot what was going wrong. I haven't looked back since. :)

It stands to reason when you think about it, but those 'warning signs' that I thought were not there, are indeed there, just that when you are not 'fully present' as a manager, you can't always see them.

In Full Mode, you quickly notice how the opposition have made minor adjustments to their tactics, or how that tricky winger is getting too much space. You notice how that quick striker is getting in behind your defence, or the passes going astray that are gifting possession to your opponent; and when playing in Full Mode, and noticing these problems, it enables you to make the necesary alterations to combat such threats.

I mean, when you think about it logically, it becomes rather obvious really.

Can you imagine a manager in real life, saying to his assistant, "Hey Ass Man, I'm just popping up to the bar for a bit, give me a shout if there's any highlights or anything I need to know about, and I'll rush back down and see if I can figure out what's going on". ;)

How can we expect to have our finger on the pulse, and know what's going on, if we're not watching the match? :)

Success has come so much easier for me, since adopting this policy. There are so many things that you can notice when viewing in Full Mode, that would pass you by when playing in Highlights, that by the time they occur, it's too late to prevent the dastardly outcomes from impacting on the scoreline.

Not only that, but I've found that once you get into it, playing in Full Match mode, I find the games far more enjoyable. I can sit and appreciate the football, as my side play their fluid possession game, and feel the tension in "real time", as we try to soak up late pressure, all the time, feeling so much more in control, being able to spot potential problems as they arise.

My purposes in writing this piece are twofold.

One, in the hope that it may encourage others who are having difficulties with the game, to be able to learn to observe and correct the problems that are countering their tactics, and two, to see if I'm alone in my perspective, or if there are other managers out there who enjoy playing the game in the level of detail that I find to be invaluable to my relative success?

I would look forward to hearing from those in both categories. :)

I fully agree in all this!

I would just like to clarify this: to play full matches is not a way to get better results; it is more a way to get more control of your games, hence, you're probably going to get better in those specific games... But if you run in a quick mode, you tend to get more titles, because you go further, make more save games, get more knowledge, etc.... But to play in full match is not about finding a way to win more titles; it is a way to get the best possible experience near to reality. You indeed get the same nervousness as if you were coaching in RL; you feel much more a part of that particular result: if you get into the pitch wanting to get a draw from it, if you get a 0-0 result you get a very pleasent feeling of it, since you feel that the plan went right; I really don't believe that it would be the same feeling if you just played in key highlights... . To play straightaway is to put emphasis on building a squad and getting titles will be the result of your building skills. To play in full match mode is to put emphasis in getting the full experience of coaching a team in the field. I really prefer the second one.

Although I can understand those who prefer the first one, I really can't stand the argument that to play in full mode is unthinkable, because it would take too long. It is just a question of shifting your way of dealing with the game. You say that because your used to that kind of approach; for instance, those who play CL Fantasy league game don't complain about it taking a whole season. Why: because it is the natural way, and you get your mind set to play it throughout the whole year. With FM it can be the same. If you could set up your mind to spend a couple of months to play one season, then it wouldn't be so odd...

I watched a game in full game mode for some unknown reason the other day and it didn't take as long as i thought. I doubt it'll become the norm for me but maybe big games I might do it, maybe. It did give a better idea of what was happening though and what was needed to improve the situation.

I see your point, however I'm willing to admit that I haven't got to grips with the tactics options enough to, for example, notice a slow left back so that I can order my wingers to cut inside, exploit that weakness. i'm pretty successful with the game mind you but what exactly do you do to the instructions to take control of a match like that?

Seriously interested because at the moment all i do is tell em to push up, sit back, centre or wide play depending on circumstances. it works pretty much most of the time but I would really like to put some extra plays in the book.

I understand the appeal of watching a full match, and have done it to improve my tactics, but sadly I don't usually have the time to watch a full match. But I wish I did!

That is true, it takes much time available to do this. That is why seasons are so long; because it is impossible to have such a thing as "I have 15 minutes free... lets play".

Still, it's the way to go, for me.

I see your point, however I'm willing to admit that I haven't got to grips with the tactics options enough to, for example, notice a slow left back so that I can order my wingers to cut inside, exploit that weakness. i'm pretty successful with the game mind you but what exactly do you do to the instructions to take control of a match like that?

Seriously interested because at the moment all i do is tell em to push up, sit back, centre or wide play depending on circumstances. it works pretty much most of the time but I would really like to put some extra plays in the book.

Well, it is kind of a game by game situation; and I tend to have no routine...

Most of the things that I can control are defensive. that is why I gave the example of an 0-0. What I can do playing in full time (and by no means could do it either way) is to notice for examples, that my opponent are constantly putting the ball in their forwards' feet, right near the penalty area... then I put some extra defensive midfielder to cover up the paths that leads to the opponent's strikers, and also add up the agressiveness of my centre backs. So, other than those tricks you've mentioned (which I use sometimes), I think moving positions of your players is pretty good for you; and you only get this "intuitions" by watching a full match.

Full matches here for me as well. I use one notch to the right on the speed slider. It can be painful watching a BSN pre season game this way but I couldn't go back to highlights now.

Yes... I don't do all pre-season games in full mode. The first ones, as they are almost for fitness sake, I put it in extended. Then, in the very last pre-season matches, were I want to see hoe the team goes with the new guys, then I watch it in full mode.

thanks Ids, that was the kind of suggestion i was looking for, will definitely try it. when i get home i might start an 'in-game tactical tweaks' thread. people name a situation that they recognise in a full match and how they deal with it, i think that would be well useful for peeps like me.

(i wont be home for ages so if anyone else wants to, feel free :))

Another example so I can get my point even clearer:

imagine a game where you are playing against a smaller team. It's second half and it's all tied up. You need a goal.

Scenario A: you're playing in highlights

Scenario B: you're playing in full mode.

In A you'll normally think: I need to get my attack more fluid; or I a need more men upfront; I'll put in one more striker; etc. sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But one thing is for sure... after some time you will feel like this is kind of a chance thing, because you cannot understando why in that game it worked and why it didn't in the next one.

In B you will have less automatic answers, because you would be able to see what you could do to create more goal chances. And sometimes, those solutions aren't the obvious ones... sometimes you understand you need to have less people in the opponents penalty area, as it is getting too crowded there... sometimes you can see that you need to do absolutely no change at all, and that it is going to be a question of time...

Another thing. I am pretty sure that all of you, at time to time, feel a little rip off by the game. In situations as 89 minutes dominating and creating chances, but failing them, and in one minute you concede and loose the game. Let me tell you this: if you were playing in full match mode you wouldn't feel ripped off. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen; it would, of course. But the feeling to it would be like the feeling you get when that happens with your team in real life. In RL you don't think: "well... this is so artificial, the game is rpping my team off". Well. if you play in full mode, you won't think it either, due to the same reasons.

I have barely time to play watching sped up highlights...

I don't think it is a mere question of time, really. Like I said, the big difference, in time matters, between playing full mode or highlights is that in full mode you cannot play in those 15/20 minuts available you get during the day.

But, if you spend, lets say, 6 hours per week playing the game, it is the very same thing. The only thing is that you are not going to finish a season within that week, of course. But still, you will play 6 hours either if you're playing in full or not. You will have fun during 6 hours, either way. So it is not a question of time; it is more a question of chosing between wanting to build a squad in a long term and trying to see your team reaching the top or wanting to get more involved in every match twiking and shifting things along it.

I have my working hours a day as much as anybody else, and I do have a lot of other stuff to do... so it is not a question of having more or less free time to play it... at all.

I do this... everything in extreme detail. A full match at default speed takes me 45-50 mins to play. I do everything in depth, training/coaching, scouting, tactics, media and so on, "realism ftw!". Someone said about 2 hours per game, I'd say this is about right. It can take me two days of play right at the start of a game or a new job before I play my first match because I deal with training and tactics, staff, etc first.

I don't think it is a mere question of time, really. Like I said, the big difference, in time matters, between playing full mode or highlights is that in full mode you cannot play in those 15/20 minuts available you get during the day.

But, if you spend, lets say, 6 hours per week playing the game, it is the very same thing. The only thing is that you are not going to finish a season within that week, of course. But still, you will play 6 hours either if you're playing in full or not. You will have fun during 6 hours, either way. So it is not a question of time; it is more a question of chosing between wanting to build a squad in a long term and trying to see your team reaching the top or wanting to get more involved in every match twiking and shifting things along it.

I have my working hours a day as much as anybody else, and I do have a lot of other stuff to do... so it is not a question of having more or less free time to play it... at all.

Not really in my opinion...I wouldn't have fun playing 1-2 seasons in the whole year watching full games.

Another thing. I am pretty sure that all of you, at time to time, feel a little rip off by the game. In situations as 89 minutes dominating and creating chances, but failing them, and in one minute you concede and loose the game. Let me tell you this: if you were playing in full match mode you wouldn't feel ripped off. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen; it would, of course. But the feeling to it would be like the feeling you get when that happens with your team in real life. In RL you don't think: "well... this is so artificial, the game is rpping my team off". Well. if you play in full mode, you won't think it either, due to the same reasons.

Well Ids, I played my first game in full-match mode, Bristol City v Arsenal 4th round of the league cup. Coincidently enough I noticed that their LB was a bit slow and having problems dealing with my pacey right striker Jay Rodriguez. So I pushed my line up and told them to focus play down the right so Rodders could run at them and cause them problems.

It worked really well, we got the 1st goal from a Fabianski error tho.

Then my RB got himself sent off, so i readjusted from playing wide because I could see that the Arse were going through the middle; I tightened things up and brought on a 2nd DM. Then Rodders got this goal in the 88th...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G13MpfAzPy8 (Goal of the Season maybe???)

Classic match and the feeling of satisfaction that came from making changes based on my observances in real time rather than just looking at numbers was very gratifying.

I'm a convert! :thup:

Not really in my opinion...I wouldn't have fun playing 1-2 seasons in the whole year watching full games.

You're just making me right, with that. You say you wouldn't have fun, you wouldn't like. So, it is a matter of taste, it is a question of option. Not a question of time, in itself, because you would play throught a whole year, either way.

You're just making me right, with that. You say you wouldn't have fun, you wouldn't like. So, it is a matter of taste, it is a question of option. Not a question of time, in itself, because you would play throught a whole year, either way.

Of course it's a question of taste!

Time and taste are strictly connected,I prefer to use the not-so-much time I have playing more games instead of maybe watching 90 minutes of some dull 0-0 match.

Archived