[FM20] Africa Extended. Bringing FM20 to Africa. v4 RELEASED

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to keep everyone updated on the progress here (so you do not think it gets lost). Two nations are updated, so three to go. I could take advantage of a slow week at work last week to get a lot done (being a scientist and having mostly automated experiments is awesome). No such luck this week, so progress will be slower. Hopefully the first iteration will be out in December some time.

I would like to ask anyone following this thread for opinions. People may (or more likely may not) know that the Ghana FA has been disbanded and the national leagues indefinitely suspended in Ghana. This was one of the nations included in the original database. So the question is should I include the league (based on the last available rules) anyway? Or should I update the teams but not include a league? Or should I produce both possibilities? I am striving to be as realistic as possible, but at the same time it is a shame to have to remove Ghana. Thoughts?

vor 3 Minuten schrieb sporadicsmiles:

I would like to ask anyone following this thread for opinions. People may (or more likely may not) know that the Ghana FA has been disbanded and the national leagues indefinitely suspended in Ghana. This was one of the nations included in the original database. So the question is should I include the league (based on the last available rules) anyway? Or should I update the teams but not include a league? Or should I produce both possibilities? I am striving to be as realistic as possible, but at the same time it is a shame to have to remove Ghana. Thoughts?

I personally would love to see it implemented when they are removed. To see what negative influence this might have for the development of the country. But is that even possible in a easy way? Doesn't it influences the African Champions League aswell?

By the way, awesome project!

Cheers

Daveincid

2 hours ago, Daveincid said:

I personally would love to see it implemented when they are removed. To see what negative influence this might have for the development of the country. But is that even possible in a easy way? Doesn't it influences the African Champions League aswell?

By the way, awesome project!

Cheers

Daveincid

I have to look at what happens with the qualifying for the African Champion's League. There was an invitational tournament that replaced the league this year. But at the moment there is no timescale for when the new league will be formed, what the format will be, and who will participate (at least one top flight side refused to join the invitational tournament).

2 hours ago, charayos said:

i think the suspension is a temporary measure, the ban will pass, is shame for such a footbalholic nation to exclude... talented country... 

It will definitely be restarted, but it is unclear when, what the structure will be, who will take part. If there was a clear plan I could just implement the tournament they had this year, and have the league restart at a later date in the file.

At the moment I think I will just do both. A file for those who want pure accuracy with no Ghana leagues active (or rather just the invitational tournament, and whatever rules the ACL has), and one where we keep the league system and assume it will restart in a similar manner in the future.

I have updated the post to include a download for the first iteration of the database. 

This includes the top divisions from

• Algeria
  • Egypt
  • Ghana
  • Morocco
  • Tunisia

All leagues are up to date. Al squads have been updated with the information I can find. I have removed a bunch of duplicated players (the bane of switching database). There should be no duplicates, but there is a chance I missed some (especially if the players are on different sides, it is very hard to spot them). If you find, please let me know the name of the player so I can fix it. 

Details for installation

Download the file and put it in 

C:\Users\"your user name"Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\editor data\

or the equivalent path for your computer.

Start a new game and select the Africa Extended file. There is only a single file for all 5 leagues. The game will tell you that it contains Tunisia only. This is because Tunisia is the first league in the file. Load this and will see all the nations described above are unlocked. The database has been tested and is stable. I would strongly recommend selecting the adding players to playable teams option, as two Ghana sides do not have many players (there is not much info on them, this should change, I hope, once the league kicks off and my resources update their info). 

If you want a nice challenge, try to win each of the domestic leagues and Champion's League in Africa, and then go to a main European league, win that plus a Champion's League there. This is my plan! If you want a good team to start, try Pyramids in Egypt. They have a bunch of money so can challenge Al Ahly. The leagues in Morocco and Algeria tend to be extremely open. I have had different winners every season in my tests. See if you can actually retain a title there, it is hard! 

What is next.

I am currently adding Nigeria. This may not take too long, since the database is pretty good already. It helps when I do not have to add hundreds of new players. After that, I will see which other countries already have a good amount of database coverage, and start there. I am also looking at adding lower leagues for the north African nations potentially. To give those who like to start lower down the pyramid something in this database too. 

Anyway, enjoy this labour of love! And let me know if there are any issues. 

This is excellent - have been using Ghana and Egypt.

One suggestion for Egypt in any updated version - change the season-end-date to July or even June: at the moment the new season starts, with teams relegated and promoted, about a week before the league games begin. This leaves no room for pre-season. The league ending in April means that there are 4 dead months with relegated and promoted teams hanging around in their former division.

And have you considered working officially on player movement, rosters, etc with SI so they can get the official database up to your standard?

8 hours ago, Kovacevic said:

This is excellent - have been using Ghana and Egypt.

Cheers, and I am glad you like it! 

8 hours ago, Kovacevic said:

One suggestion for Egypt in any updated version - change the season-end-date to July or even June: at the moment the new season starts, with teams relegated and promoted, about a week before the league games begin.

Yeah that sounds like I have made a typo in the season update day, rather than something I have intended. I will get on to fixing that one for sure. I didn't actually finish a season while managing yet, so I have not come across it.

9 hours ago, Kovacevic said:

And have you considered working officially on player movement, rosters, etc with SI so they can get the official database up to your standard?

I'm not sure how SI work in this respect, in terms of what information they deem acceptable. I have simply being using online resources that are available to them already. I do not know exactly how reliable those resources are in truth. I assume they are good for the league I have, but they may get less so as I start getting to more obscure leagues. I mean, SI would already be able to use the database, and they do work on the rosters of the teams likely to be active (I spent a lot o time hunting duplicate players who SI had added since FM19). I also probably would not have the time to do anything official. This is a labour of love for me, which I do in my own time, I probably do not have the time to do anything officially even if offered. 

12 hours ago, joe5p said:

Sorry if slightly off topic, does anyone know of any downloads with 2D kits from the African nations? Amazing work sporadicsmiles

For kits, I do not know. I do not use kit mods in the game really, since I do not spend a lot of time looking at them. I would imagine there are some in a megapack somewhere, but not my area of expertise!

I have logos for Afirca that I downloaded from somewhere ages ago, so that I cannot remember where. 

Version 2.0 is released. First post updated for download.

Changelist.

• Fixed the issue with the preseason start date in Egypt. 
  • Fixed some oddities with Ghana fixtures not being well distributed. 
  • Nigerian Premier League added. All teams have up-to-date rosters where possible (some teams are very difficult to get info on, and these will struggle in the game with the AI).
  • Removed a couple of duplicates I have missed.

Nigerian Premier League.

nigeria.thumb.png.4007d3e4f6c2d523216c6ebef047a80d.png

I hope this image looks better when you click it! I have a massive monitor and it ends up with some.. space sometimes. Note that some players in Nigeria do not have an age (where the player was in the database but I could not find the info). I do not know really how the game invents an age, but be aware that it can change from save to save. In addition, I found several incidences where a player was duplicated but the first and last names reversed. These are a pain in the backside so spot. I think I got them all, but if you do notice something let me know so I can delete and update the file asap.

What is next.

Likely I am taking a short break from editing until the new year. I have a proposal to write to apply for a permanent job in science which is going to take up the majority of my time. Editing is quite addicting, so I will avoid it to avoid too much procrastination. Plus, you know, as much as I love this file, it is less important for the next month. 

After I return to editing, I have not decided which nation to add next. It will depend on what information I can find. I want most of the league to have real players (with ages if I can). I will look at Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Congo (and doctor Congo), Angola, etc. To see which is the best bet for this. Zimbabwe is on my radar too, Please, if anyone reading the thread has any ideas (and thank you to those who have already messaged me with ideas) or wishes in what they want to see next, feel free to let me know. This is a project of passion for me, but it is for the community, so I want to supply the community with what they want!

• 2 months later...

Hey @sporadicsmiles any chance of getting Sudan in this? Every single Sudan file I have tried doesn't show up at all. So would be good to get it in this instead.

Thanks for the fantastic work you do. It's great having Egypt with more than just two teams........ :)

1 hour ago, Kanwulf said:

Hey @sporadicsmiles any chance of getting Sudan in this? Every single Sudan file I have tried doesn't show up at all. So would be good to get it in this instead.

Thanks for the fantastic work you do. It's great having Egypt with more than just two teams........ :)

I will look into Sudan, but I do not see why I could not include them in the next release. Most of my choices have been guided by the ease of finding accurate squad information. I have pretty much exhausted the easy to find nations now!

At the moment I waiting for the database update so I can remove any new duplicated players and update any summer leagues, so watch this space.

2 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I will look into Sudan, but I do not see why I could not include them in the next release. Most of my choices have been guided by the ease of finding accurate squad information. I have pretty much exhausted the easy to find nations now!

At the moment I waiting for the database update so I can remove any new duplicated players and update any summer leagues, so watch this space.

If I find any good Sudan informtion, I will be sure to pass it on :)

kooora is a good tool that I use for the Middle east nations I research for FM, I tohink it has regularly updated news for Sudanese Premier League and it has full suqad lists on there. However, it can be a little out of date in some cases. 

Edited by Kanwulf

If I find any good Sudan informtion, I will be sure to pass it on :)

kooora is a good tool that I use for the Middle east nations I research for FM, I tohink it has regularly updated news for Sudanese Premier League and it has full suqad lists on there. However, it can be a little out of date in some cases. 

I will check it out, thanks!

First post updated to include new download file. This contains the league systems for Sudan and DR Congo. There is a weird bug for me where DR Congo teams have new managers added in the database but they are not showing up in the game. If other people also see this, let me know so I can log it as a bug. I cannot find a lot of info about managers in Sudan (outside of wikipedia, which I do not trust highly). So these teams do not have managers. If someone knows who manages these teams, let me know. I hate having an entire league of teams start without a manager. Player information has been added where I can find it. Which is not for every team anymore, since it is hard to find info for everyone. The info I can find for Sudan often contains player names but not date of birth, which means I cannot add the players (DOB is a must). 

DR Congo:

DRC.thumb.png.57b75d77af49c23325b35874bfbc9b41.png

Sudan:

Sudan.thumb.png.217f8270e35bd44df3f9f75b6936461d.png

Next up I want to work on Cameroon, Guinea, and Ivory Coast. Cameroon is definitely going to happen soon. After that, I will look at the second divisions for the North African leagues. Enjoy!

On 08/03/2020 at 11:04, sporadicsmiles said:

First post updated to include new download file. This contains the league systems for Sudan and DR Congo. There is a weird bug for me where DR Congo teams have new managers added in the database but they are not showing up in the game. If other people also see this, let me know so I can log it as a bug. I cannot find a lot of info about managers in Sudan (outside of wikipedia, which I do not trust highly). So these teams do not have managers. If someone knows who manages these teams, let me know. I hate having an entire league of teams start without a manager. Player information has been added where I can find it. Which is not for every team anymore, since it is hard to find info for everyone. The info I can find for Sudan often contains player names but not date of birth, which means I cannot add the players (DOB is a must). 

DR Congo:

DRC.thumb.png.57b75d77af49c23325b35874bfbc9b41.png

Sudan:

Sudan.thumb.png.217f8270e35bd44df3f9f75b6936461d.png

Next up I want to work on Cameroon, Guinea, and Ivory Coast. Cameroon is definitely going to happen soon. After that, I will look at the second divisions for the North African leagues. Enjoy!

You absolute legend - thanks for including Sudan as I requested!

When I finish work, I will have a look to see who managed each team in Sudan and report back you you.

Edited by Kanwulf

You absolute legend - thanks for including Sudan as I requested!

No problem, I am a man of the people! Besides I remember one year playing as Al-Merreikh in a super league, and it was very fun, so I did not mind learning a little more about Sudanese football while creating this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 07:39, sporadicsmiles said:

I'm not sure how SI work in this respect, in terms of what information they deem acceptable. I have simply being using online resources that are available to them already. I do not know exactly how reliable those resources are in truth. I assume they are good for the league I have, but they may get less so as I start getting to more obscure leagues. I mean, SI would already be able to use the database, and they do work on the rosters of the teams likely to be active (I spent a lot o time hunting duplicate players who SI had added since FM19). I also probably would not have the time to do anything official. This is a labour of love for me, which I do in my own time, I probably do not have the time to do anything officially even if offered. 

It's fantastic work you have done, but I wonder about one thing? When you update squads/rosters how do you balance the current ability and potential ability of the players with the original database? I wonder because often when people are doing uodates they rates players to high and give them to high CA and PA, wich make leagues unrealisticly strong compered to official researched leagues. So far your leagues seems well balanced so I wonder what strategy you have used?

46 minutes ago, Number seven said:

It's fantastic work you have done, but I wonder about one thing? When you update squads/rosters how do you balance the current ability and potential ability of the players with the original database? I wonder because often when people are doing uodates they rates players to high and give them to high CA and PA, wich make leagues unrealisticly strong compered to official researched leagues. So far your leagues seems well balanced so I wonder what strategy you have used?

It is quite simple actually. I take the max and min CA for the players who were already in the database for a given team (if there is a very good foreign player I will ignore him). I then use a random number generator to generate CAs between these two values. For the PA, I look around the league at what values most players have, and give them a negative number to match those ranges. So Algeria used -4 to -7, for example, to get a range of PAs across squads and nations. Again I just use a random number generator. I only do this for players I have created, or players who do not have a CA/PA in the game. I am using the SI research that is in the database and complementing it. It is not 100% accurate, because I have no idea how good the players are. But it creates a balanced experience. 

With regards to the Middle East - Message me if you need any help at all. I am Head Researcher for Jordan, Iran, Bahrain, Lebanon, Iraq, Oman and Kuwait so can help you out with these nations in particular the most.

Just now, Kanwulf said:

With regards to the Middle East - Message me if you need any help at all. I am Head Researcher for Jordan, Iran, Bahrain, Lebanon, Iraq, Oman and Kuwait so can help you out with these nations in particular the most.

I'm going at the moment in order of the ranking I find on the AFC wikipedia. The only one I touched so far was Iran, which basically needed very few changes. At the moment I am slogging through UAE, where the complexity of names makes working out who is who a pain in my backside! When I get to any of the other nations, I will let you know. 

10 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

It is quite simple actually. I take the max and min CA for the players who were already in the database for a given team (if there is a very good foreign player I will ignore him). I then use a random number generator to generate CAs between these two values. For the PA, I look around the league at what values most players have, and give them a negative number to match those ranges. So Algeria used -4 to -7, for example, to get a range of PAs across squads and nations. Again I just use a random number generator. I only do this for players I have created, or players who do not have a CA/PA in the game. I am using the SI research that is in the database and complementing it. It is not 100% accurate, because I have no idea how good the players are. But it creates a balanced experience. 

Well I think this is better than setting PA and CA to high.

22 minutes ago, Number seven said:

Well I think this is better than setting PA and CA to high.

It is the best way I can think of (other than trying to scout all the players myself of course!). If someone ever gives me a better idea, I will adapt it. If I ever had the time I would love to enter all the age, CA and PA data for every player in a country. Then I could generate values weighted by a normal distribution, which would even better. But nobody has time for that!

Just now, sporadicsmiles said:

It is the best way I can think of (other than trying to scout all the players myself of course!). If someone ever gives me a better idea, I will adapt it. If I ever had the time I would love to enter all the age, CA and PA data for every player in a country. Then I could generate values weighted by a normal distribution, which would even better. But nobody has time for that!

I hope other updaters follow your path.

Please make Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain first divisions if you can. There are no well made  FM20 updates for these interesting countries.

Also, If you can make please Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.  

Edited by id99

7 minutes ago, id99 said:

Please make Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain first divisions if you can. There are no well made  FM20 updates for these interesting countries.

Also, If you can make please Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.  

I am currently making an Asian file. I have already done Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Iran. UAE is currently being tested. Bahrain and Uzbekistan will definitely be on the list for nations. Kazakhstan is not technically in Asia, but I might add it anyway. I will eventually do a Europe file too, with the inactive European nations, but that will be quite a way into the future I guess. 

10 hours ago, id99 said:

Yes, it would be great. Also in Europe, when you will do it, please add D3 (ПФЛ) for Russia. Cause russian modding community doesn't make updates anymore. 

I would focus on the nations not in the game yet first. And there is also the question of finding the correct information (and unfortunately I cannot read Cyrillic). I will keep it in mind though, promise.

Does anyone happen to know anything about the Arab Club Championship? Particularly on the qualification rules? I have just created this tournament using (roughly) the team numbers in the current iteration. But there is little info I can find on who qualifies. Is it invitational? For teams not in any AFC/CAF continental competitions already? Right now I just have the teams first to third (depending on nation) qualifying. If I can make it more realistic, even better. 

On 25/03/2020 at 22:45, sporadicsmiles said:

I am currently making an Asian file. I have already done Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Iran. UAE is currently being tested. Bahrain and Uzbekistan will definitely be on the list for nations. Kazakhstan is not technically in Asia, but I might add it anyway. I will eventually do a Europe file too, with the inactive European nations, but that will be quite a way into the future I guess. 

Good luck getting current squads for Bahrain. I’ve tried my damned hardest with that nation, it’s very difficult :D 

On 26/03/2020 at 18:35, sporadicsmiles said:

Does anyone happen to know anything about the Arab Club Championship? Particularly on the qualification rules? I have just created this tournament using (roughly) the team numbers in the current iteration. But there is little info I can find on who qualifies. Is it invitational? For teams not in any AFC/CAF continental competitions already? Right now I just have the teams first to third (depending on nation) qualifying. If I can make it more realistic, even better. 

It used to be like a third continental competition for some nations, so teams that missed out on AFC Cup or ACL would go to Arab CL instead. Unsure if that’s still the case.

For example, I think Al-Naft qualified in 3rd place in the 2017/18 Iraqi PL season.

Mind you, I think it may well just depends on the nation in question. So I’d recommend, for easiness, just treat it like a third Continental Conpetition.

Edited by Kanwulf

4 hours ago, Kanwulf said:

Good luck getting current squads for Bahrain. I’ve tried my damned hardest with that nation, it’s very difficult :D 

I haven't tried yet with Bahrain. They are quite far down the list of nations I am going through. I'm thinking about adding some depth to the Africa file before I move on to more Asian nations anyway. Plus I need to split the database changes and competitions files soon, so I can make sure everything is compatible with each other. 

4 hours ago, Kanwulf said:

It used to be like a third continental competition for some nations, so teams that missed out on AFC Cup or ACL would go to Arab CL instead. Unsure if that’s still the case.

For example, I think Al-Naft qualified in 3rd place in the 2017/18 Iraqi PL season.

Mind you, I think it may well just depends on the nation in question. So I’d recommend, for easiness, just treat it like a third Continental Conpetition.

That is the impression I got as well. At the moment I just have the top 3 teams qualifying so I could get the structure working how it should. I have never played with club continental competitions before so I wanted to make sure I knew how to get everything working. Now it works it is just a matter of setting up qualification or adding the right teams in the competition itself. 

According to the wiki page, you get $5million for winning it. Some third competition! 

3 hours ago, dillonbarrett1997 said:

How close is Ivory Coast?  Appreciate your work!

It is not close right now. I am focusing on adding some depth to North Africa. Getting in some second divisions to give an all-round better experience. The documentation of players even for the second level of these countries is better than the rest of Africa. I will not but a date on any release for anything right now. I am just starting a new job, and with the virus it is crazy hectic to get things sorted for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my progress on this file. 

I have not yet added any new nations. Serious research is needed for that, and I simply have not had the time to dedicate to this. Weird during lockdown, but I am moving countries and starting a new job at the worst possible time. However I have not been entirely idle. I have to sort the database from the 20.4 update (remove duplicates, sort out the transfer window moves). So I have taken the time to add the second level for Morocco and Algeria (well, almost anyway). So I can give a bit of depth instead of more breadth. I plan to finish this up over the long weekend. I will look at Tunisia as well, but the league system is more complicated and there are more teams, so I will decide if this is worth my while. 

I have also now separated the file into player changes and league and club changes/league rules. This is ultimately so that you can use the player database as a stand alone add-on to the game without having to add leagues (should anyone wish to do this, I wanted it for a Super League I created). There is always the chance that this will make compatibility issues when used alongside other databases. I have not tested it extensively except with itself. 

Ultimately, I will also be tying this to an edited database for Asia (where I have completed top divisions in 5 or so countries now). This will also be split into two files (one for players, one for everything else). Here I am going to have to work out if I should combine or not. The issue being quite a lot of African players end up playing for Middle Eastern teams. So without combining I will likely have duplicates. However by combining these will not be two separate files. So I am not decided on what I will do with that yet, and thus have not released the Asia file. 

First post updated with new files for download.

There are now two files. 

Africa Extended v4 - Database changes contains all the database changes, but no rules. You can use this as a stand alone file which adds teams to players without the leagues (if you want to do that).

Africa Extended v4 - Leagues contains all the leagues in a single file. 

You should run both files if you want to play the leagues. It is exactly the same as before except I have split things up. Each file will also work independently, but I would not recommend using only the League file without the player file. 

3 hours ago, adesmir said:

great stuff > finally the database changes only are available. i was waiting for that :-) big thank you for your big efforts. highly appreciated. 

No worries. If I had known people wanted the database changes alone before, I would have done it earlier!