FM20 : Shortage of Left Backs

GafferSimon

Is it me or is there a shortage of good left backs in FM20 ?

No stand out Wonderkids and even the decent left backs are over priced

If its not Robertson, Sandro, Alaba, and Grimaldo - Who is there to sign for a top 4 team in the Champions League (this example Tottenham) ?

Quite quickly I am looking at Shaw but surely he cant be the answer !

isn't this just a real life problem? There just aren't many quality right and left back coming through the ranks because (IMO) if a kid has any potential to be a good footballer he doesn't want to just be a full back, but much rather somewhere higher up the pitch assisting/scoring goals.

Edited by paperbox

No idea if they have fixed PA or not but some U21s to look out for are:

Brandon Williams & Reece Devine (Man United)

Ruben Vinagre (Wolves)

Aaron Hickey (Hearts)

Francisco Ortega (Velez)

Vitaliy Mykolenko (Dynamo Kyiv)

Josha Vagnoman (Hamburg)

Owen Wijndal (AZ Alkmaar)

Alex Centelles (Valencia)

Marc Cucurella & Juan Miranda (Barca)

Imo, the shortage is obvious on both flanks.

On my Inter save, I'm at the start of the third season and there's literally not a single fullback on either side who's under 23-24 and who either has the potential or is already a star player. Except for those who're already at top clubs.

20 minutes ago, GafferSimon said:

How is he doing ?

Only played 4 games so far so hard to tell. Got 1 assist so far. Just trying to give him as much game time as possible 1st season. Times on his side.

But OG post is right. Main reason is decided to retrain him was because of lack of decent affordable left backs around.

18 hours ago, GafferSimon said:

but surely he cant be the answer !

I signed Vignato (£2.6m - Chievo), Dembele (£14.5m - Celtic), Tonali (£20m - Brescia), Aarons (£27.5m - Norwich), Silva (£37.5m - Porto), Upmanecano (£40m - RB Leipzig), Luis (£60m - SLB), and Bailey (£80m - Bayer 04) before the beginning of the season - All ticking the box for the club culture to sign players under 22. I've also agreed to sign in January to sign Sancho (£105m - Dortmund). Most on some upfront money and the rest over 3 years.

Having sold Eriksen (£65m PSG), Alderweireld (£35m - Man U), Wanyama (£22m - Aston Villa) and Rose (£16m - Napoli) best the start of the season. Also agreeing to sell Sissoko (£22m - Man U) and Lamela (£18m - Burnley) in January. Mostly all upfront money. I cant seem to get anyone interested in Aurier (this game is so real life !!).

Kane is now unhappy about the shortage of left backs at the club despite Davies (averaging 7.14 and 1 assist after 8 games), Sessegnon (training as left back and playing all games there except league) and also Vertonghen who can play there.

The majority of the rest of the squad agree with Kane.

To try and solve the issue with my main man and the rest of the squad I've blown my remaining transfer budget on Grimaldo (£54m - SLB) to get him in for January as well. I had to persuade the board the fee was worth it as it was more than they were initially happy to agree to. Hopefully this sorts my left back issue, Kane's minor issue and the rest of the squads issues !

Next task is to find a long term goalkeeper other than Donnarumma !! 

7 hours ago, nfornirvana said:

I bought Lucas Digne in start of the season 2 in my Chelsea career and he is doing pretty good so far. 22 apps in the league 2 goals and 8 assist with an average rating of 7.71.

Bought him too for my United side. Haven't started the 2nd season yet but he played great for Everton in the 1st season and I expect him to be an upgrade on Luke Shaw who was pretty average for me and Brandon Williams is not developing as good as I expected him to.

For 23 mil I think I couldn't have done better than Digne.

14 hours ago, GafferSimon said:

How much was he out of interest ? Also, how long did you have to wait as I tried signing him before Grimaldo and Leicester just would not sell him

£28m on the 29th of July, first window, just unsettled him I think, and as soon as I had him I offered Danny Rose out for £24m and Leicester picked him up, so I basically swapped left backs with Leicester for £4m.

Edited by MarinoMolin

On 11/11/2019 at 20:39, Sysiphus said:

If you're a club as big as Tottenham I think a straight forward one would be Alex Telles from Porto. Jamal Lewis looks good as well.

Alex Telles has a release clause of £36m. Thats really cheap for someone of his abilities.

On 11/11/2019 at 19:09, paperbox said:

isn't this just a real life problem? There just aren't many quality right and left back coming through the ranks because (IMO) if a kid has any potential to be a good footballer he doesn't want to just be a full back, but much rather somewhere higher up the pitch assisting/scoring goals.

It's absolutely a real-life problem and many clubs focus their youth development on producing left-backs in particular. Norwich's Stuart Webber has talked about how he wants his academy teams to play 4-4-2 to get two left sided players playing every game - and two strikers. They're the rarest and hardest positions to buy in quality and/or value.

Many top level fullbacks were central midfielders in scholarship/u18s days, or wingers later on before converting. You may find it's easier to buy players with the right attributes and converting them than finding natural fullbacks that are good enough (unless you have £80m in the budget for Chillwell).

7 hours ago, Geordieboy52 said:

I did this...

1268918465_Screenshot2019-11-18at18_12_05.thumb.png.2e9b29cb8a7e74fccaf61571854c0d02.png

It's a good try, but he will be extremely suspect, defensively. Positioning, tackling, marking and concentration all quite low for a defender. Depends on how much potential there is left to develop those.

He plays as a complete wingback - utilising many aspects that are relatively strong for me.  He played 53 games across the season, all at left back (it was an experiment) with only one mistake leading to a goal.  He made 84% of his tackles and was part of a championship winning team being selected to the TOTY for his performances.  Seems to have worked to me

956142810_Screenshot2019-11-19at20_47_12.thumb.png.4f03a87c6b467c7777f652bf6f2a876d.png

On 17/11/2019 at 01:47, swansongs said:

It's absolutely a real-life problem and many clubs focus their youth development on producing left-backs in particular. Norwich's Stuart Webber has talked about how he wants his academy teams to play 4-4-2 to get two left sided players playing every game - and two strikers. They're the rarest and hardest positions to buy in quality and/or value.

Many top level fullbacks were central midfielders in scholarship/u18s days, or wingers later on before converting. You may find it's easier to buy players with the right attributes and converting them than finding natural fullbacks that are good enough (unless you have £80m in the budget for Chillwell).

i tend to do this a lot, find cm/dm with good dribbling/crossing/tackling/marking and just train them as wing-backs