Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Mr U Rosler

Journey to Line – One Man’s mission from the Couch to the Training Ground

Recommended Posts

Really good stuff this, will nick a few ideas for my own save if you don't mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again you strike gold have followed your posts for sometime but this one I think will be the most helpful to old and new players alike.

Have you tinkered with pre season yet? I find the AM set ups very good and only need minor changes.

I use the individual players TAB quite a lot. Looking at played comments, so if my Defenders saying not enough defensive drills etc i can switch to my schedule and add or change a routine to compensate this. I have noticed this improves dynamics and overall team cohesion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like just what I need to get my head around this new stuff.

So let me ask the really dumb questions - which folder to put them in - is it 'views'?

Your schedules are for a part-time team. I'm starting with an amateur one with even fewer sessions.  Will yours still load up with some sessions blocked out?

Without having the game open at the moment, how do I import and load up the schedules?

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Looks like just what I need to get my head around this new stuff.

So let me ask the really dumb questions - which folder to put them in - is it 'views'?

Your schedules are for a part-time team. I'm starting with an amateur one with even fewer sessions.  Will yours still load up with some sessions blocked out?

Without having the game open at the moment, how do I import and load up the schedules?

 

:)

C:\Users\Mo\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019\schedules

 

In-game they'll be under "custom schedules".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, modase said:

C:\Users\Mo\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019\schedules

 

In-game they'll be under "custom schedules".

Thanks. I didn't have that folder, so I just created it :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Thanks. I didn't have that folder, so I just created it :thup:

Cool. You'll need to click "get more" under custom schedules and then save the schedules as your own to be able to implement them.

Edited by modase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My schedules are FULL time as we have now gone professional.

Not sure how they can be implemented into an amatuer team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

My schedules are FULL time as we have now gone professional.

Not sure how they can be implemented into an amatuer team.

Guess I'll have to adapt! Your principles are still as sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thegoon65 said:

Yet again you strike gold have followed your posts for sometime but this one I think will be the most helpful to old and new players alike.

Have you tinkered with pre season yet? I find the AM set ups very good and only need minor changes.

I use the individual players TAB quite a lot. Looking at played comments, so if my Defenders saying not enough defensive drills etc i can switch to my schedule and add or change a routine to compensate this. I have noticed this improves dynamics and overall team cohesion.

 

Thanks,

Got some ideas about optimising pre-season, not just the content of the schedules but how it should be structured in terms of when to play friendlies, how many etc.

I'm in December in my save, waiting till next pre-season to test it out.... its only theory until then!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feedback so far.

Rattled through a couple of heavy months and i'm pretty satisfied so far.

 

'Match Weeks' 

Playing Saturday > Tuesday.

After Saturdays match unsubstituted outfield players are around the 70% mark post match. They have Sunday off and spend all day Monday preparing for Tuesday.

Come Match Time Tuesday they have recovered between 20-25% fitness which sees them around the 90-95%, pretty good mid season and i have no problems selecting the same team again although i'll normally rotate 1 or 2 out.

After Tuesday they have no rest but a 3 day gap to Saturday, again they recover 20-25% to sit at 90-95%

Injuries have been virtually non-existent

I'm happy that the 'Match Weeks' are functioning well.

 

'Development Weeks'   

Fitness is no problem, with no midweek match all players sit between 95-100% come match day Saturday.

Its hard to judge actual attribute development at this point, my coach's and training facilities can be improved so there are other variables, i'm monitoring my young players and will report back on attributes improvements at the end of the season.

No reason to think its not working! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, False 9 said:

I've been a big fan of your tactics over the years, would mind going over the PI's of this please? Thanks

Don't want it to become a tactical thread put i'll post them up later when i'm home from work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching a you tube article a few years ago regards how sarri trains, similar to how you have your no match schedule set up, work hard during the week and long rest the end of it. Works IRL for him and looks like it works for you👌👌👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK,

Into February now. Out of all cups so I've had a few successive weeks of Development training.

I've noticeably started to pick up injuries during the Development Weeks. I'll tone it down a little, probably add a recovery session and something for goal keepers to help with that.

What it does do is bring into focus how well the 'Match Week' schedule has been working as I've been cruising from match to match with only a few days in between without fitness or injury issues.

I'll post a re-worked Development Schedule at the end of my season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

OK,

Into February now. Out of all cups so I've had a few successive weeks of Development training.

I've noticeably started to pick up injuries during the Development Weeks. I'll tone it down a little, probably add a recovery session and something for goal keepers to help with that.

What it does do is bring into focus how well the 'Match Week' schedule has been working as I've been cruising from match to match with only a few days in between without fitness or injury issues.

I'll post a re-worked Development Schedule at the end of my season.  

Yeah was going to note that the development week schedule seemed a little heavy - have been playing around with it to try and tone down the intensity.

Just starting a new long term save so having a look into some pre-season ideas also.

Edited by steveyisatard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentoring success??

Sort of, there's an acknowledgement that the mentoring group is having a positive effect and his determination is increasing + some attributes.

However his personality has gone from fairly loyal to balanced.

fm86yh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 14/11/2018

Development Weeks replaced by Performance Weeks.

It seems pointless going for heavy attribute development during the season, the injury risk is too high and 1st team match experience develops attributes on young players quicker than any training. Senior pro's won't develop anyway and its more about maintenance for them which is easy to attain.

So ALL training is now MATCH FOCUSED geared towards conditioning, recovery, injury prevention, set pieces and tactical/teamwork, match preparation to give us an edge come match day.  

Combined with sensible Individual training to work on specific sets of attributes we can basically ignore 80% of the training module options and focus purely on a holistic approach to squad and player welfare with no discernible downside.

 

As evidenced by 3 promotions in a row with the original Stockport Squad. (no signings)

30jipao.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Update 14/11/2018

 the injury risk is too high

I found that it's easier to visualize the intensity of team training when looking through the custom schedules window:

Capture5.thumb.PNG.ba4af796818009f49cb7344917726880.PNG

This way you can see if units are sequentially being overworked even if no single day stands out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super interesting as always from you, I love the guides you do.

 

I would like to request that you share some of your tactics over in the sharing section - I've used your tactics pretty much religiously in the last couple of games because I really find them both good but also realistic and I love the guide you give with what player attributes to look for in each position, really makes recruitment for lesser teams easy. Hope you find the will to post at least one or two of your tactics like in the past !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr U Rosler

Have you used that tactic in the first post all the way through your 3 seasons?  Have been waiting for you to create a tactics thread since release as all I can get working to a good level in the lower leagues us 4-4-2 wing play

Think I'm also going to copy your training schedules, I am also Stockport.  2nd season in Conference National, I will be looking to bring youth through but I have no restrictions on signing players so it is much easier for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nozzer,

I did use the tactic for all 3 seasons.

I really didn't want to get promoted last year as i knew league 1 would be a step too far, too soon but you can't turn down promotion.

I'm struggling in league 1 and have my hands full trying to stay up with mixture of kids and non-league players. i don't have even 1 player rated as decent for League 1 !

If i do a tactics thread it won't be on this version of the ME as i suspect it will be updated soon and the current version is not great to work with.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah makes sense, there's enough time and I remember last time around you did a tactic after the final ME update and kept it updated with tweaks you did and such.

On that note, has there been a trend when SI usually updates to a final ME version ? I've been playing the game far less religiously in recent years and it's usually final update when I start playing them game 

Edited by johangod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johangod said:

Yeah makes sense, there's enough time and I remember last time around you did a tactic after the final ME update and kept it updated with tweaks you did and such.

On that note, has there been a trend when SI usually updates to a final ME version ? I've been playing the game far less religiously in recent years and it's usually final update when I start playing them game 

ME updates few and far between these days.

We used to get one after the Winter transfer window closed every February but we've not had those the last couple years.

Pure guess work, but i suspect we'll get an update over the next couple of weeks and that will be that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will view with interest to see if can be adapted to FMT iPad.

Sad that you’ve retired from tactics as yours were always the most reliable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 19:39, Mr U Rosler said:

 

Now, Stockport start out part time which makes the training module largely redundant, but back to back promotions have seen us make it to League 2.

 

Nice work on the back to back to back promotions! And interesting to read your thoughts on training. 
I was wondering how you approached the part-time training schedules, having only 4 slots per week to train, did you just use the default schedules, or personalise them to your liking?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Meneltin II said:

Nice work on the back to back to back promotions! And interesting to read your thoughts on training. 
I was wondering how you approached the part-time training schedules, having only 4 slots per week to train, did you just use the default schedules, or personalise them to your liking?

 

Well, turned out to be 3 promotions in a row...... Then a relegation!

Didn't get sacked and glad I got relegated and the game put up a fight!

Anyway, I looked at the part time schedules and thought I'm not even going to get involved until my players are full time.

If I were to be in that situation again, I'd adapt the match week schedule to try and get Team Work/Match Tactics in before each game and not bother with general training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very interesting thank you however I keep having a problem with players complaining about not doing enough quickness training - any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

This is very interesting thank you however I keep having a problem with players complaining about not doing enough quickness training - any ideas?

Either change it in there individual training TAB or ignore it depending on how many are moaning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always followed and used your tactics Rosler - it's a shame to know you won't be getting into it this year! I am excited to see where this goes however - and applying it to my own game, when and where possible!

It's good to be back ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half way through first season with Orient, limited coaches and average training facilities. But these set ups are amazing my players are improving leaps and bounds, the mixture of routines keeps em happy and settled. All I have to change is there individual focus training and my squad are sorted, very few injuries and minor ones via games.

Mr Rosler this thread should be at the top of the list as the best insight to new training, would make a great YouTube video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you aware that Match Tactics doesn't have any effect on the upcoming match? It's beneficial only during periods when your team needs to get familiar with your tactic - like early in the season. Attacking Movement, Defensive Shape and Teamwork are what brings the most benefits towards the next match. Attacking Movement and Defensive Shape also focus on Player Role training for all 3 units (60% for attacking or defensive unit respectively, 20% for the rest)

In addition, when you select GK training category for one of your 3 daily sessions, that gives you only 20% Player Role training per day, which IMO is not that much to have an impact. 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yonko said:

Are you aware that Match Tactics doesn't have any effect on the upcoming match? It's beneficial only during periods when your team needs to get familiar with your tactic - like early in the season. Attacking Movement, Defensive Shape and Teamwork are what brings the most benefits towards the next match. Attacking Movement and Defensive Shape also focus on Player Role training for all 3 units (60% for attacking or defensive unit respectively, 20% for the rest)

In addition, when you select GK training category for one of your 3 daily sessions, that gives you only 20% Player Role training per day, which IMO is not that much to have an impact. 

Thoughts?

Good points.

Regarding the Goal Keeping sessions, whilst 20% of time for outfield players is specified as being dedicated to player roles, it isn't really clear what they are doing the other 80% of the time. I can't imagine they are just standing around, even if they are its not a terrible thing as we have 2 outfield sessions immediately after the goalkeeping sessions so we could consider this a light warm up. I'm fairly happy with this, people can change as they see fit of course.

I like your point on Match Tactics, i'd probably keep 1 a week, its a light session which suits are objective, i think it does increase team cohesion and its helps keep us at 100% tactical familiarity when new players come into the team (u18, u23 players you promote + new signings etc), but yes, we can probably replace the Monday session in Match Weeks to something else, not to strenuous. I'll update the schedule at some point.

Thanks for the input.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Good points.

Regarding the Goal Keeping sessions, whilst 20% of time for outfield players is specified as being dedicated to player roles, it isn't really clear what they are doing the other 80% of the time. I can't imagine they are just standing around, even if they are its not a terrible thing as we have 2 outfield sessions immediately after the goalkeeping sessions so we could consider this a light warm up. I'm fairly happy with this, people can change as they see fit of course.

I like your point on Match Tactics, i'd probably keep 1 a week, its a light session which suits are objective, i think it does increase team cohesion and its helps keep us at 100% tactical familiarity when new players come into the team (u18, u23 players you promote + new signings etc), but yes, we can probably replace the Monday session in Match Weeks to something else, not to strenuous. I'll update the schedule at some point.

Thanks for the input.    

The 20% is for player roles from the defensive unit, then you have another 20% focus on player roles from the attacking unit. 60% focus is on the GK attributes. So clearly the focus of the session is the GKs. The players are not standing around but they are not getting much of the focus from that session.

I understand your intent though to focus on the player roles training. However, there aren't enough of those sessions that target the player roles. Frankly, I'm surprised SI set it up this way. It kind of make player roles training a little redundant now. Either they should've removed player role training or they should have more activities (from various categories) have it as impact focus.

Role training is still part of Match Prep though as I pointed out previously. Att.Movement for example focuses 60% in player roles training for the attacking unit, 20% for the roles in the defensive unit and 20% GKs. Def.Shape is the opposite, of course. Plus each one has impact on the next match. So you get double benefit there and you hit your both targets. Also they impact your tactical familiarity as well.

So I would just focus on Att.Movement, Def.Shape and Teamwork during Match weeks. You don't really need to waste a session on Match Tactics unless you bring in new players during transfer window or you make drastic changes to your tactic you use so it affects your familiarity. But even if a few bars go slightly down, it's not that big of a deal.

Personally for player development purposes in the long run my favorite is the General Possession activity. It targets 60% of all the attributes (excluding dribbling) that are important to me for my playing style and club DNA....in every save. Yeah, I'm one of those Pep Guradiola admirers.:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points again.

As much as I admire guardiola, I prefer a direct style in FM!

I'll likely tweak the schedules to reflect this although currently you can't seem to delete old schedules and my schedules tab is becoming a bit of a mess.

My main focus for player roles is individual training so any focus we get in team training is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Good points again.

As much as I admire guardiola, I prefer a direct style in FM!

I'll likely tweak the schedules to reflect this although currently you can't seem to delete old schedules and my schedules tab is becoming a bit of a mess.

My main focus for player roles is individual training so any focus we get in team training is a bonus.

No problem.

What kind of attributes do you think are priority or important for you in terms of direct style of play? 

Keep in mind that from the General training activities the focus for each group of impacted attributes is for both the attacking and defensive units.

For your performance weeks you might be better off using unit activities that divide the focus of impacted attributes between your defense and attack. So instead of using General Attacking/Defending, it might be better to use Attacking Direct/Wings and Defending Engaged/Disengaged. Chance Creation and Chance Conversion focus 60% your attacking unit while 20% of the defensive unit focuses on individual roles - that might interest / benefit your idea. On the other hand Ground Defense and Aerial Defense are the opposite - 60% focus on the defensive unit, while the attacking unit focus 20% in individual roles.

I think you may want to revisit each category and take a snapshot of what each one impacts and make plan what fits your playing style the best to get the most out of your training. It takes a little while and it may be tedious work, but once you figure it out it will become second nature to you. You will see. Just figure out what's important to your direct playing style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this up. As most just let there Ass Man do training 🤔 this thread gives you plenty to think about and shows how easy it can be to set up training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Rossler,

 

I am happy to say, I have recently had great success in my Birmingham City save, coming through the playoffs to gain promotion to the Premier League for 19/20 Season, while using your Match Week and Performance Week training schedules all through the season. My better players were available for most matches and my lesser lights improved some degree during the season. You might say, I am a rather happy manager as I prepare for the new season ahead in Premier League.

I have had a look at your Pre-Season schedule and while not using it exactly, have prepared a Pre-Season schedule of my own, which I shall report on later.

 

Thank you for cutting through the multitude of options and drilling down to a simple routing that works.

 

Kel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using this since I stumbled upon it via your tactics thread @Mr U Rosler and have to say this is really good as I've had a few high potential players come out and be poached for high money in Bulgaria.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for this post. I've been looking for a guide to hand hold me into the new training system. I've decided i'm going to start with using the pre-set training and tactical schedules and then tweak here and there.

I've noticed the ass man is selecting match tactics as the default match prep every week even though my tactic is 100% fluid (excluding the Position/Role/Duty bar). Does the ass man every change to defensive positioning/attacking movement etc. ? If not, I take it that once the tactic is fluid there is no reason not to intervene and select a more suitable preparation option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jimmyrh94 said:

Thank you so much for this post. I've been looking for a guide to hand hold me into the new training system. I've decided i'm going to start with using the pre-set training and tactical schedules and then tweak here and there.

I've noticed the ass man is selecting match tactics as the default match prep every week even though my tactic is 100% fluid (excluding the Position/Role/Duty bar). Does the ass man every change to defensive positioning/attacking movement etc. ? If not, I take it that once the tactic is fluid there is no reason not to intervene and select a more suitable preparation option?

Check his preferred formation and style this normally indicates how he sets up training. This is why I use these schedules and not my ass man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting thread. 

 

My question as far as youth development goes is how do you apply this to the U18 players? If the schedule is so heavily focused on match prep, I'd be inclined to leave my younger players in the U18's and tailor a schedule more towards player development. I don't really trust the new mentoring model yet. However I know some in the community are encouraging moving high potential young players to the seniors to be mentored. I'm guessing it must be that the senior experience and mentoring while playing U18 games is enough to raise attributes? I'm holding off starting a youth development save until I get a better handle on training. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davenumber40 said:

Really interesting thread. 

 

My question as far as youth development goes is how do you apply this to the U18 players? If the schedule is so heavily focused on match prep, I'd be inclined to leave my younger players in the U18's and tailor a schedule more towards player development. I don't really trust the new mentoring model yet. However I know some in the community are encouraging moving high potential young players to the seniors to be mentored. I'm guessing it must be that the senior experience and mentoring while playing U18 games is enough to raise attributes? I'm holding off starting a youth development save until I get a better handle on training. 

 

 

For me at a lower league club, I have a lot of Under 18 players in my first team squad. There it makes sense to include them with senior players in training sessions. If they're in the U18 squad they have different training regimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...