Question about website "Guide to football manager 2018"

Since i started to play FM2018, i found i can not create a successful tactic for my own Man Utd. I type the key word "Guide to fm" in google and i find this website http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com.  Does anyone here use the theory of this website to create a tactic?

blob.thumb.png.aa09179a1130a0c94c3c96a572d3f475.png

This is the "Direct counter attacking football" tactic i created followed the guide of this website. I have a question that if this is the "right"  "direct counter attacking football" for this guide? 

The website contains some useful information.  It also contains some incorrect information.  It can be useful and I'm sure helps a lot of people.  As ever, use things as "guides" rather than "rules".

Re. that tactic you highlight above, imo it's not really a counter attacking tactic (because of the top heavy formation used) nor is it really a direct tactic (the counter mentality sets a low tempo + shorter passing by default so adding the more direct passing TI doesn't change it that much).

In FM terms, when a counter attack starts, the AI takes control of your team and ignores all of your tactical settings.  So any tactical settings you make are only used when you are not counter attacking.

11 minutes ago, Atarin said:

I wish SI would change the Mentality names, it confuses so many people. Its totally forgivable that someone would select Counter expecting the side to sit deep and go direct.

Changing the name still wouldn't make it plausible that a top heavy formation sits deeps and counters though. That's just basic common sense and logic. The further forward someone is, the harder it'll be to make them sit deep. No name change is going to change that.

I agree names could do with changing though but not for the reasons you say.

39 分鐘前, herne79說:

The website contains some useful information.  It also contains some incorrect information.  It can be useful and I'm sure helps a lot of people.  As ever, use things as "guides" rather than "rules".

Re. that tactic you highlight above, imo it's not really a counter attacking tactic (because of the top heavy formation used) nor is it really a direct tactic (the counter mentality sets a low tempo + shorter passing by default so adding the more direct passing TI doesn't change it that much).

In FM terms, when a counter attack starts, the AI takes control of your team and ignores all of your tactical settings.  So any tactical settings you make are only used when you are not counter attacking.

Thank you very much for your reply, if i want to creat a successful tactic which guide or handbook should to read?

Just now, dudupig said:

Thank you very much for your reply, if i want to creat a successful tactic which guide or handbook should to read?

Focus on roles and balance in the team. You can start with no TI at all and rather add them if you see it fit when watching the matches.

This is a good starting point as far as roles and duties: https://www.fmscout.com/a-tactical-guide-pairs-and-combinations.html

22 minutes ago, dudupig said:

The stickies at the top have a lot of guides, one is specifically about creating counter attacking tactics. 

Though I would point out that as man utd most teams won't throw players forward and give you space to counter attack them.  They'll sit deeper and play lowish risk hoping to get a point or sneak a win rather than taking the game to you.

42 分鐘前, summatsupeer說:

The stickies at the top have a lot of guides, one is specifically about creating counter attacking tactics. 

Though I would point out that as man utd most teams won't throw players forward and give you space to counter attack them.  They'll sit deeper and play lowish risk hoping to get a point or sneak a win rather than taking the game to you.

My first league match is away against Liverpool, so i want to play a counter attacking football.

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

You guys really need to discuss coming up with some sort of accurate guide to help new users who are clueless about football, even a lot of the stuff you see in the actual game is wrong. I only found out the other day that HOYDs working with youngsters attributes didn't matter with respect to how good your newgens were (despite the information in the game saying so) and I've been playing for about 15 years now.

8 minutes ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

You guys really need to discuss coming up with some sort of accurate guide to help new users who are clueless about football, even a lot of the stuff you see in the actual game is wrong. I only found out the other day that HOYDs working with youngsters attributes didn't matter with respect to how good your newgens were (despite the information in the game saying so) and I've been playing for about 15 years now.

Could anyone confirm this, please? Astonished, if that's true.

4 小時前, KUBI說:

There are a lot of experts out there. Probably some of them even not playing the game. :D

Don't trust everything that is posted on the net, really. 

I find that the tactical adivise from assistant coach is useful. I only assign the roles and duties for my team and i have got some result.

10 hours ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

We have been doing our best, unfortunately, none of the best content out there gets picked up by SI's official social media channels. I have kind of given up, so like Cleon and I say, read ALL content on the web at your own risk.

10 hours ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

In the "Please Read" pinned thread at the top of the forum there are several guides (some of which discuss the HoYD's role).  Obviously an all encompassing "guide to football" would be a mammoth undertaking but perhaps there are some specific areas you feel are lacking?

2 小時前, Rashidi說:

We have been doing our best, unfortunately, none of the best content out there gets picked up by SI's official social media channels. I have kind of given up, so like Cleon and I say, read ALL content on the web at your own risk.

Do you mean that it is impossible to SI give football manager players an official guide?

On 16/12/2017 at 09:10, Cleon said:

Changing the name still wouldn't make it plausible that a top heavy formation sits deeps and counters though. That's just basic common sense and logic. The further forward someone is, the harder it'll be to make them sit deep. No name change is going to change that.

Is there a thread anywhere to understand the mentalities in more detail as it sound like there very confusing 

14 hours ago, KUBI said:

There are a lot of experts out there. Probably some of them even not playing the game. :D

Don't trust everything that is posted on the net, really. 

but the truth is ppl read so many "guide" here,but still know not thing about tactic.

i think is some thing when wrong about how you write the guild.

3 分鐘前, kpsia518說:

i mean here, on the forum,this forum

even you read the guild here,you still not even in "beginner" level.

I think a good guide should be clear and easy to understand. After reading this guide a player should not only to be a beginner. The football manager is a game,a good guide should help player to play this game for fun. But in fact some guide is too professional for a normal player.

18 hours ago, dudupig said:

I think a good guide should be clear and easy to understand. After reading this guide a player should not only to be a beginner. The football manager is a game,a good guide should help player to play this game for fun. But in fact some guide is too professional for a normal player.

I think a guide should inform and trigger the reader to explore on his own. If the writer tells you what to do, you won't learn anything. If he gives you info about lets say player roles and how it affects players you will understand what they do and you can explore on your own how to build your own tactic because you now what the roles mean and you explore how you fit them into your style of play. 

On 16/12/2017 at 09:10, Cleon said:

Don't fully agree with you here. For a casual player, that don't come here, reading the name and description on counter mentality, it becomes very very confuse on why their team don't play like that. I was one of that people, before I started to come here. I could very easily set up a team like that, expecting my team win the ball and lauching quick counter attacks. And the common sense and logic to not expect the team to sit back, with the mentality description, I'm not sure that's so logic to all people. And I don't think that explain mentality how it really works would be that difficult to who makes the game.

On 12/18/2017 at 09:33, shadster said:

Don't fully agree with you here. For a casual player, that don't come here, reading the name and description on counter mentality, it becomes very very confuse on why their team don't play like that. I was one of that people, before I started to come here. I could very easily set up a team like that, expecting my team win the ball and lauching quick counter attacks. And the common sense and logic to not expect the team to sit back, with the mentality description, I'm not sure that's so logic to all people. And I don't think that explain mentality how it really works would be that difficult to who makes the game.

Cleon is talking about formations specifically here, not just the counter mentality. If you have 4 players in high positions it should be obvious that your team won't sit deep and counter as well as if you only had 2 players in high positions, no matter what mentality you choose

Archived