Do you run Steam in the background when you play FM?

For the 3+ years I've been playing FM I've always launched the game by opening Steam, going to my library, and clicking "play." Well, I just realized that I can make a menubar shortcut (on Mac) to FM and launch the game without Steam being open at all.

Just curious, is there any downside to doing this? I know a lot of the game directory folders are located within the Application Support/Steam folder and there are linked achievements, etc., using Steam. 

That being said, the less programs I have running the better and I'd probably put off launching Steam over and over if possible. 

Anybody have an idea?

I always play FM with Steam offline. There's no downside but there is an important benefit. If Steam is running it automatically updates. When I read on here hundreds of complaints about a 'patch' messing up people's saves I sit back and keep playing until I feel the patch has been hotfixed and ready to download.

Steam is required to be running, even it doesn't show up in the menu bar, check the task manager, it will be running there, in the background.

If you quit Steam, then FM shuts down.

As above, switch it to Offline mode to avoid unwanted updates, and update when you want to.

Cheers guys, really appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, PleasedToMichu said:

I've set up a shortcut on my taskbar too on my Mac, When i click it, absolutely nothing happens. I've got to boot steam up and click FM 16, play. Only way i can get it to boot. Not idea why the shortcut doesn't work.

That's odd. What I did was right click the FM taskbar icon after opening it through Steam and ticked "keep in dock." Maybe remove it and try again after restarting your Mac. I'm also on FM14, perhaps that's it. :p

But yeah, thanks guys.

40 minutes ago, edjeux said:

hi guys, about steam, can we download the game again on a different device? i lost my computer and i affraid i have lost my game also

Depends what you mean by different device. As long as it's for PC or Mac and you can log into your Steam account from there, you can download it, as the game is linked to your account.

On 02/09/2016 at 06:45, phnompenhandy said:

I always play FM with Steam offline. There's no downside but there is an important benefit. If Steam is running it automatically updates. When I read on here hundreds of complaints about a 'patch' messing up people's saves I sit back and keep playing until I feel the patch has been hotfixed and ready to download.

Pretty sure you can ask Steam not to update a game.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you could, but now I'm home and turned Steam on I see that you can't. Maybe it was an option that they removed.

I have to say that is something Steam should have. The user should have control over updates.

On 01/09/2016 at 16:57, tyler16 said:

That being said, the less programs I have running the better and I'd probably put off launching Steam over and over if possible. 

I don't want to start a "Steam or not" argument here, but unless you've got some very poor system specs then Steam running is not going to contribute much at all to memory or CPU usage. 

If the program is updating something then it might be a little more resource hungry, but it'll pause updates when you're in a game.

I guess what I'm saying is you needn't worry about whether Steam will slow things down.

It should be running whilst you're in game though. Check you're processes and I'm sure you'll see it. Granted, I'm not really familiar with Mac.

I run Steam offline.  I hate Steam, really hate it.  It frustrates the hell out of me that I can't play FM without starting it up too, I don't use it for anything else.

5 minutes ago, tubbycrabs said:

I run Steam offline.  I hate Steam, really hate it.  It frustrates the hell out of me that I can't play FM without starting it up too, I don't use it for anything else.

Its like 2009 all over again.

You really should embrace it rather than hating it.  What exactly do you hate about it?  It has so many positives with next to no negatives.

On 01/09/2016 at 17:17, dafuge said:

Launching FM using a shortcut automatically launches Steam for me, pretty sure it has been that way ever since we were required to have Steam to play FM.

Dafuge- If that picture is a hospital records logo then you're a top man!!

54 minutes ago, Curly Claret said:

54 minutes ago, Curly Claret said:

ok thanks i didnt try on a pc yet. only on mobile. but it doesnt seem to work with steam on my mobile

On 06/09/2016 at 07:17, anagain said:

Pretty sure you can ask Steam not to update a game.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you could, but now I'm home and turned Steam on I see that you can't. Maybe it was an option that they removed.

I have to say that is something Steam should have. The user should have control over updates.

They just changed the wording of the option in Steam to make it clearer what the option actually did. The old wording made it seem like you could tell Steam to not update a game, but in reality all it did was stop Steam from updating until you tried to launch the game.

If you could completely stop Steam from updating a game it was a long, long time ago and it is completely understandable why you have to update games to pay them. Everyone is playing the same version and you only have to provide support for one version of the game.

Archived