Wayne Rooney

Just stumbled upon Manchester United's 'club information' and to my shock Wayne Rooney isn't seen as either Legend, Icon or Fav Personnel. Now looking at his stats as of today Rooney is 8 goals behind Bobby Charlton's club record goalscorer. I'm sure Rooney goes onto become United's all time top scorer in game and real life. Does anyone else not find this bizzare that Sports Interactive doesn't have him listed as even favoured personnel, personally he would be an icon of United after winning them many league titles and eventually becoming they're all time scorer. Thoughts?

He is not as popular with a lot of Man Utd fans as some would think, As said above he has tried to leave a couple of times and he doesn't seem to 'Love' the club as much as some others

But, that is in REAL LIFE. The game doesn't know that. So, ya, by default when you first start the game, Rooney is probably not listed, but he jumps onto the list pretty quickly. He is listed as a legend on my save.

In my game, in the season 2017/18 or 2018/19 Rooney has become the best Man Utd league scorer and he is not even listed as a favourite personel. Till this time I have won only 2 league titles with him as a captain, but in the campaign when he has broken the record, he has been used only as a rotation player and scored most of his goals from penalties and against teams from the bottom of the table. How do you think, he should be icon/legend in such a case?

Maybe not all fans love him but in my book, a record goalscorer for a club (again, assuming he will break that record in the near future, IRL and in-game) should always be at least an icon no matter what...

He isn't popular, not to most actual United supporters. The club PR/Commercial department (that Rooney uses as part of his ridiculous latest contract) and the English media might try to push him as some sort of hero but almost all United supporters can't stand the sight of him, never mind consider him a Legend.

I know this because I'm a ST holder at Old Trafford and noboby I know around me likes him except tourists who don't know any better.

Good to know that you "actual supporters" have such a high horse to sit on. Must give you a better view of the pitch...

I have no idea what your intent is here, I assume it's just a cheap dig in which is not appreciated.

Rafael is listed as favoured personnel in my game, which is a bit strange.

Why would that be strange? He was, and still is really popular amongst United supporters, many want him back(mostly those who don't keep an eye on French football).

I have no idea what your intent is here, I assume it's just a cheap dig in which is not appreciated.

I was going to write something similar. I don't exactly know what an 'actual' United supporter is, but the few I know actually like Rooney.

Someone who has scored 175 goals, appeared 350 times and become England's all-time leading scorer isn't considered a United icon because a few 'actual' supporters don't like him? United have used him as a marketing tool over the last decade, whether they like it or not, he is considered iconic to United because of what he has achieved with the club.

His name might be soured by the transfer-request and contract disputes, but that shouldn't take away all that he's given to your club.

I think it's fair enough he's not considered an icon. He might be very popular among Man Utd's global fanbase, but to match-going fans, he's been a good player over the years, excellent when motivated, average when not. But he's not a local lad and he's shown that his own paycheque is his main priority over the club a few times now. It's not like United have been starved for great players over the years, so just because Rooney's scored a bunch of goals, it doesn't put him on the level of other great players they've had who have actually conducted themselves in a more dignified way. If I were a United fan, players like Ferdinand, Evra, Van Der Sar are bigger club legends than Rooney.

You must also consider who he's up against. I would argue that to become a club legend at a club like Manchester United takes something special to achieve because you are competing against the likes of Matt Busby, Alex Ferguson, Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Eric Cantona. All players whos loyalty to the club is without doubt.

To hand in a transfer request can be forgiven and be categorized as a mistake, but to do it a second time is unforgivable (!!!) and should forever exclude Rooney from legendary status at Old Trafford.

Why would that be strange? He was, and still is really popular amongst United supporters, many want him back(mostly those who don't keep an eye on French football).

I'm sure he is, but I wouldn't think he is more popular with supporters than the likes of Park, Whiteside, Hughes, Evra and Vidic, all of whom don't appear. Or even someone like VDS, who was hugely popular and made the winning save in a CL final.

I was going to write something similar. I don't exactly know what an 'actual' United supporter is, but the few I know actually like Rooney.

Someone who has scored 175 goals, appeared 350 times and become England's all-time leading scorer isn't considered a United icon because a few 'actual' supporters don't like him? United have used him as a marketing tool over the last decade, whether they like it or not, he is considered iconic to United because of what he has achieved with the club.

His name might be soured by the transfer-request and contract disputes, but that shouldn't take away all that he's given to your club.

He's good statistically but I do think it IRL, it is more than that which gets you rated as legendary or whatever.

Rooney has always been a player who sometimes skates under the radar with United fans, but he was backed up until he twice decided to challenge SAF and walk out of the club. That kind of thing doesn't get forgiven easily, unless you pull out the goods (Ferdinand did, for example) and unfortunately for Rooney, he has always been overshadowed by simply better and more popular players (read: Ronaldo, Van Persie etc) who both seemed to live and breathe United - which is impressive in Van Persie's case given how he came over from Arsenal for crying out loud.

His performances from the Moyes era (where he was for whatever reason praised to the rafters by TV pundits, when he was poor) to the Van Gaal era - where he HAS been particularly hot and cold, doesn't help his case any.

Rooney's never had that charisma, he's never really 'connected', or if he did, he never sustained that goodwill either via his actions or his performances. On most United forums, he splits opinion in spite of his statistics, so he'll never be anything more than perhaps an 'unappreciated legend', but he'll never be mentioned in the same breath as any of the others that have blessed the club.

He was always outshined by better players who carried the team to success. Ronaldo, Tevez, Van Persie even Giggs and Scholes had to come back from retirement to help him out. The biased media tries to protect him but he's been a disgrace for England when it mattered, and in the last two years he's been an absolute joke and looks like he's 35 years old with very poor body language for a team captain.

He was always outshined by better players who carried the team to success. Ronaldo, Tevez, Van Persie even Giggs and Scholes had to come back from retirement to help him out. The biased media tries to protect him but he's been a disgrace for England when it mattered, and in the last two years he's been an absolute joke and looks like he's 35 years old with very poor body language for a team captain.

I tend to think he is a victim of the expectations put on him early in his career - he's not turned into Messi/Ronaldo/Pele and he is canned for it.

At the end of the day he is going to retire with a scoring record of nearly one in two, England's record goal scorer and with over 250 goals for club and country. It's not exactly a poor career.

I'm not English myself and I have not lived in UK, so I might be wrong here, but I feel that English players are under special attention from local media there, and that skews media opinion in a good or bad way (depending on a case). English players are said to be overpriced, overpaid and overhyped. At some point, as I remember, Rooney was the player who was supposed to become new messiah for England national team, but he never managed to raise national team to new level in any big international tournament.

At one point he was given a lot of slack, because at one point he was still the best that England got, due to overwhelming import of international stars to EPL clubs. Note that all players that are compared with, and raised above Rooney in this very same thread are foreign (Paul Scholes and Ferdinand being exceptions) - VDS, Ronaldo,Vidic, van Persie, Rafael, even Giggs is Welsh.

But while he got away with a lot of stuff, the expectations for him have always been there to turn things around for United and for England as well. So there's the pressure you can't deny and it looks like it's more load than have been handed to other players around him.

Why not ask some real life, dyed-in-the-wool Man U fans?

I'm sure there are posters on here from Kent/Ireland/China who could proffer an opinion...

Norwegian United fan here.

To me he is an english legend, a Premier League legend, but he's just not a Man Utd legend. I was fine with his first transfer request. Figured that everyone can make a mistake, and he did state in interviews that it was the worst mistake he had ever made. Sucker that I am, I belived him. The second request was enough for me. I can't forgive that one. I will support him on the field as I would every United player, but other then that I don't care for him.

He isn't popular, not to most actual United supporters. The club PR/Commercial department (that Rooney uses as part of his ridiculous latest contract) and the English media might try to push him as some sort of hero but almost all United supporters can't stand the sight of him, never mind consider him a Legend.

I know this because I'm a ST holder at Old Trafford and noboby I know around me likes him except tourists who don't know any better.

Tottenham fan checking in. I work at the Premier inn 100 yards from the stadium and meet ALOT of united fans whenever there isva match. I agree completely with what you said. It seem very very few fans like Rooney at all and the no.1 complaint (after van gaal) is Tha Rooney should be sold/benched. Lots of the fans seem to really hate him lol.

Archived