Important FM16 Training Changes

If playing 2 games a week, is it worth losing 2 training days a week if rest after a match is ticked?

Does it help improve players condition instead of actual fitness training?

I only give the players a rest after the match.

There was one particular time that I had to cancel the training day after the rest and before the match prep, because I needed to player a little more fit.

in FMTouch

1)when you train a player in his natural position the percentage is 0% (whatever role you choose)

2)when you train in a position which is competent or in a completely new position is 100% but if you add addition focus becomes 40%-60%

of course if you add new preferred move and make make combinations the % change

the 1) is a bug or it supposed to be so ?

2) this 40%-60% can change ?

I've noticed this too.

But it looks inconsistent or buggy.

In the demo I managed to get Coutinho at Liverpool to Natural at CM in the first season.

In a new save after release, he's still at 15/20 after 1.5 years.

I'm currently managing Foggia in Italy and using a 4-4-2 with ML/R WP.

I had one very good player from the start (Serie C) in Vicenzo Sarno. Left-footed, good technique, vision etc.

Unfortunately only "Competent" at ML. "Natural" AMC/AMR, and "Competent ML/AML. That's it.

He was immediately put on training as ML/WP, and played in that position as a key player.

And here's the funny part :

After 6 seasons, with over 180 games (usually the full 90min) in that position/role, he is still only "Competent".

The same thing seems to be the case with every other young player I've tried to learn new positions.

Nothing happens, no matter how long they train and play in their new positions.

I cound have understood it if it was meant to be å limit on how many positions a player can be accomplished in, but not even trying to learn a AML to be a ML og a DM to be a CM seems to have any effect at all here.

And that is just annoying.

There has been a number of changes concerning training and how the team’s personality type can rub off onto the younger players for Football Manager 16. This is quite a big change. If you go to your club overview screen then go to the general tab you’ll see this;

squadperso.png

On past versions of the game this didn’t have an impact on player development but now that’s changed. So how does it work? It’s basically an automatic effect that is similar to tutoring but not as powerful.

The effects can be good or bad and are limited solely to the attribute related to the personality type. Eg. Professional = Professionalism (hidden attribute), Determination = Determination attribute and so on. So this differs from tutoring because it only works on one attribute, the one listed on the screen highlighted above. The age cut-off depends on the players adaptability (hidden attribute) but the upper age limit is 24. So if the player has a low adaptability attribute then his cut off age will be before 24 by quite a bit.

There is also one more big change to this year’s game that many people will have already noticed and that is the ability to set an individual intensity level for a role focus or individual attribute focus. Instead, this is reflected under “Individual Training Workload”(can be seen on both Training > Individual and Development > Training). This will update as you add/remove further areas of training, eg. an additional focus or a PPM.

Those are the two main changes for this year and both are welcome changes by me, especially the squad personality influence because it means you need to focus on squad building and get players with desirable personality types because if they have bad ones, you don’t want them rubbing off on your youth players do you?!!

Oh one thing I almost missed mentioning was role training. If you want to train a player for a role that isn’t for his natural position then on this year’s game he will automatically start improving his positional rating for that role. Confused? So was we at first but here is an example to give a bit of clarity;

If you had a left back and you wanted him to train the inside forward role because that better suited his attributes, then you can still do that. However depending on which inside forward role you gave him (as you have option for AMR or AML) this would also see him start to become more familiar at either AMR or AML depending which you have selected.

There is a chance though that you might see a player’s positional rating stall or not get any better after a while. I’ve experienced this on my save as I’m three seasons in already. The reason for this can be one of two reasons. The first being the player has reached a point where he needs to be played in the position to improve further. As an example – if the player has no rating at all when you start the training then he might get to unconvincing and then it might not get any further until he actually plays in the position the role training is set for. And the second reason is the player might not be able to add more to his positional abilities, this one is a limit enforced to prevent strange things happening with CA.

None of the above is hear’say it is all confirmed by Seb Wassell from SI games.

EDIT: Also, training now defaults to the player's position in your tactic. This also trains attributes but it is a generic role training which covers the basic group of attributes for the position.

131659p22cgafzfcapvcag.png

"the squad's general character has had a positive effect on Draxler lately."

any idea who is that "squad's general character" ??

It's not any one player. It's the team's personality as a whole rubbing off on him. Cool new feature, I think.

is general character mean leader player like RIO & Giggs at manutd ??

& this is the effect,

before,game time 29/7/2015:

131542ss99orvlwxtl3low.png

after,game time 2/11/2015:

131600jfnf7t4a4sjzjso4.png

individual personality change

is general character mean leader player like RIO & Giggs at manutd ??

& this is the effect,

before,game time 29/7/2015:

131542ss99orvlwxtl3low.png

after,game time 2/11/2015:

131600jfnf7t4a4sjzjso4.png

individual personality change

Did you read the opening post? I showed you in a screenshot of where the squad personality is. It's nothing to do with one player. It's the personality of the squad as a whole. Look at the screenshot I posted at the very start of the thread.

Cleon quick question, when you give a player a warning for poor performance or a sending off and his stats increase if he takes it well and his work rate or determination rises. I read a few years back that you can only do that to a certain cap of like 15/16 is it the same for the team personality? As in a maximum. Hope that makes sense, i'm not sure if it does myself.

On past versions of the game this didn’t have an impact on player development but now that’s changed. So how does it work? It’s basically an automatic effect that is similar to tutoring but not as powerful.

The effects can be good or bad and are limited solely to the attribute related to the personality type. Eg. Professional = Professionalism (hidden attribute), Determination = Determination attribute and so on. So this differs from tutoring because it only works on one attribute, the one listed on the screen highlighted above. The age cut-off depends on the players adaptability (hidden attribute) but the upper age limit is 24. So if the player has a low adaptability attribute then his cut off age will be before 24 by quite a bit.

Am I correct that this change will mean that if the squad is professional then young players who come in could become more professional by association?

Cleon quick question, when you give a player a warning for poor performance or a sending off and his stats increase if he takes it well and his work rate or determination rises. I read a few years back that you can only do that to a certain cap of like 15/16 is it the same for the team personality? As in a maximum. Hope that makes sense, i'm not sure if it does myself.

There is no such cap. It's down to age and adaptability.

Am I correct that this change will mean that if the squad is professional then young players who come in could become more professional by association?

Indeed it does.

There has been a number of changes concerning training and how the team’s personality type can rub off onto the younger players for Football Manager 16. This is quite a big change. If you go to your club overview screen then go to the general tab you’ll see this;

cut

There is also one more big change to this year’s game that many people will have already noticed and that is the ability to set an individual intensity level for a role focus or individual attribute focus. Instead, this is reflected under “Individual Training Workload”(can be seen on both Training > Individual and Development > Training). This will update as you add/remove further areas of training, eg. an additional focus or a PPM.

Hi Cleon,

Can you help me? I'm not able to set the individual intensity level. What I have to do? I tried both Training > Individual and Development > Training but i didn't see nothing to set there :(

It seems role training is very slow, even the player is play on the position and role that the player training for.

How fast someone learns a position is down to the player not the training.

a quick one . how effective is leaving the players on the generic role individual training? like leaving them to train in their positions and just give additional focus and possibly preferred moves. i always use your Ajax thread but wondering if just leaving them in those position roles and changing intensity will help better since you might be playing a tactic with a roaming playmaker but your player in that role is at best an advanced playmaker or B2B. thanks

a quick one . how effective is leaving the players on the generic role individual training? like leaving them to train in their positions and just give additional focus and possibly preferred moves. i always use your Ajax thread but wondering if just leaving them in those position roles and changing intensity will help better since you might be playing a tactic with a roaming playmaker but your player in that role is at best an advanced playmaker or B2B. thanks

Leaving them on the generic schedule only works on the very basics the player needs for that role. There is no real reason why you'd leave it on that when you can change it to something more suitable and get a lot better results.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that some players become unhappy with their individual attribute training and don't see any increase in the attribute?

For example I put Gotze on stamina training, after a month or two he complained and said the training wasn't benefiting him anymore. When I clicked his stamina the graph showed there hadn't even been a small increase. His stamina was 13 so I thought i should have been able to increase it.

Just wondering why this happens for some players.

Why is it that some players become unhappy with their individual attribute training and don't see any increase in the attribute?

For example I put Gotze on stamina training, after a month or two he complained and said the training wasn't benefiting him anymore. When I clicked his stamina the graph showed there hadn't even been a small increase. His stamina was 13 so I thought i should have been able to increase it.

Just wondering why this happens for some players.

A couple of points to consider: there is always a small bit of randomization in the training, as to whether gains are made or not. I don't know the code or algorithm behind it, but it is there to some degree. Some players just don't improve in some areas. The keys behind this are the position they play and the current ability. Mario Gotze is an attacking midfielder- most AM roles (exceptions are shadow striker and winger) that you train as well as the default training for the position that game trains does not include stamina as a key measure for the position. So that leads to the current ability issue where attributes are "weighted" according to position; that is, the more important the game considers the atttribute for the player's position the more current ability used up on that attribute. You can get Gotze at 24 when game starts I think being mostly developed, and so you are less likely to see gains in something like stamina.

It is kind of strange how it works sometimes, as you can get young players that are really deficient in some physical area and it is often impossible to get it to move upward in any meaningful degree, but this is probably the clearest explanation in your case. The player saying it is not beneficial is probably a visual cue for the user that he has no room in his CA for growth in that attribute. Perhaps there is somewhat else I've overlooked that someone can point out, though.

Thanks Dr. Hook. That's a great explanation that covers everything for me. At least it's good that we get a message from the player saying the training isn't working so we're not wasting time.

I've been giving Lukaku the same stamina training and haven't had a message yet to say he's unhappy so hopefully there is a bit of room for him to improvement there......

I am playing FM Touch and having trouble with training. I have two players who are natural at only AMR but I would like to make natural at ST - and specifically, the false nine role. I am currently playing them as false nine's in my team. What is the best way for me to handle their training so they achieve a natural rating in the ST position (knowing there is no guarantee they will reach a natural rating)?

Should I:

1. Keep them training their playing position alone (ie ST ©)?

2. Choose the role false 9 as their training?

3. Some other option?

Many thanks

I am playing FM Touch and having trouble with training. I have two players who are natural at only AMR but I would like to make natural at ST - and specifically, the false nine role. I am currently playing them as false nine's in my team. What is the best way for me to handle their training so they achieve a natural rating in the ST position (knowing there is no guarantee they will reach a natural rating)?

Should I:

1. Keep them training their playing position alone (ie ST ©)?

2. Choose the role false 9 as their training?

3. Some other option?

Many thanks

The role doesn't matter- the position will get trained faster if they play in that position. Train False Nine for the attribute development, but that will still count towards learning the STC position.

Thanks Dr Hook. So I have several alternatives:

1. I train him as an inside forward but play him as a STC

2. I train him in his position (STC) and play him as a STC

3. I train him as a false 9 and play him as a STC

4. I train him as a false 9 and play him as a AMR

Out of the above, what is the ranking of approaches that achieves the quickest route to a natural STC ability?

I expect in descending order it should be 3, 2, 1, 4. Where 3 is the best approach and 4 is the worst. Is this correct?

Thanks Dr Hook. So I have several alternatives:

1. I train him as an inside forward but play him as a STC

2. I train him in his position (STC) and play him as a STC

3. I train him as a false 9 and play him as a STC

4. I train him as a false 9 and play him as a AMR

Out of the above, what is the ranking of approaches that achieves the quickest route to a natural STC ability?

I expect in descending order it should be 3, 2, 1, 4. Where 3 is the best approach and 4 is the worst. Is this correct?

You have to train him for one of the striker roles to get him to have a chance of becoming natural for the position. That is how they learn positions on FM16. So you want to train him for a striker role and play him as the striker for the fastest possible way.

1 and 4 wouldn't do anything for him.

You have to train him for one of the striker roles to get him to have a chance of becoming natural for the position. That is how they learn positions on FM16. So you want to train him for a striker role and play him as the striker for the fastest possible way.

1 and 4 wouldn't do anything for him.

Many thanks Cleon. A couple more questions to clarify further, if I may:

A. Would options 2 and 3 in my list, in theory, provide the same progression rate to becoming natural in the STC role, or is one preferred over the other?

B. When you say option 1 wouldn't do anything for him - so just playing as a striker doesn't make him more familiar in that role?

C. When you say option 4 wouldn't do anything for him - he won't get to natural but he may improve his rating in the role, correct?

Thanks again for all this.

A. Yes both are same. What's important is the position he is learning not the role. So what that means is any striker role will be the same for teaching him the actual striker position. The role you select just works on specific attributes for the position. But all striker roles will teach the striker position at the same rate.

B. That is correct yes. He needs both training and playing in the role, to get better as a striker.

C. Yes but by training him for a position that you're not playing him in will slow the rate of how fast he gains the new position. Hidden attributes also play a part of course.

• 2 weeks later...

During summer breaks the player is on holiday so isn't doing anything. You can learn PPM's straight after each other. If you give him one to learn before the season finishes it will just carry on when they return to training. You can't ask a player to learn a PPM while on holiday though, the option is greyed out.

I have a player who has 3 natural positions ST,AML,AMC, and 1 accomplished AMR

I started training new position on July, ML(Wide playmaker)

19 Aug---Awkward

4 Nov---Unconvincing

18 Nov---competent

Since then he hasn't improved (accomplished) ,the season ended.

I don't think he is gonna make it.

I was playing him in WM position regularly.

Do you think i should continue another year with this training and see what happens ?

Or is it waste of time since a have another options to use him and change his training program accordingly ?

There is a bug where positional training gets stuck. However your player has been progressing so I don't think this is having an impact on you. Remember each player is different and learn positions at different speeds based on hidden attributes. Plus it takes longer for someone to become natural in a position than it does awkward, unconvincing etc.

In FM16 I'm noticing that my players condition within matches and indeed recovery in between matches are poor. Training is on balanced and average, also have rest after a game as well. These are not old players and are within the Premier League. Fitness coaching is 4 stars and generally the players have good stamina and natural fitness (a minimum of 15 or above).

Should I be looking at making training high intensity? I have used this default set up in past incarnations with no issues but wondered if something in terms of recovery has changed or linked with training?

In FM16 I'm noticing that my players condition within matches and indeed recovery in between matches are poor. Training is on balanced and average, also have rest after a game as well. These are not old players and are within the Premier League. Fitness coaching is 4 stars and generally the players have good stamina and natural fitness (a minimum of 15 or above).

Should I be looking at making training high intensity? I have used this default set up in past incarnations with no issues but wondered if something in terms of recovery has changed or linked with training?

It's the new normal for FM. This version the condition drops are more significant but they occur across the board, so it isn't necessarily anything you are doing.

It'll be more down to what happens in a match rather than training, or training having any bearing on condition at all. There was changes made to condition like Dr mentions above. However if you're a Prem side it should be manageable. I'd look at your approach in games and the tactical settings you are using to see if they are having an impact on how demanding they are for the player.

Question: If I train my player the role of Inside Forward even if he's naturally a left winger does it solely improve the stars needed of an inside forward or just allow him to play that role better? sometimes I set all my players training based on ther role in my tactic that's all it's a waste if they aren't soley working on the attributes for the role..

Question: If I train my player the role of Inside Forward even if he's naturally a left winger does it solely improve the stars needed of an inside forward or just allow him to play that role better? sometimes I set all my players training based on ther role in my tactic that's all it's a waste if they aren't soley working on the attributes for the role..

It improves those attributes listed under the role training, it doesn't make someone play the role better. It just focuses on attribute development. However the role star rating is based on the key attributes for that role, so if they improve then indirectly they'll get a higher rating for that role.

• 1 month later...
But it's not changed this is a fact :). It still takes around 13 friendlies for it to be fully fluid the exact same as FM14 and 15. If it's not happening for you and others then it's something you are doing wrong. The way tactic familiarity is gained and the rate at which has not changed.

Sorry to bump this up but I think I either have a bug, or I understood this wrong, or this is incorrect. I've been struggling with tactical familiarity all my career (I'm in 2024 now) and this season I've got a pretty clear example. I've had the training slider fully up to the left (on "more match training") and on "match tactics" for every match. I'm in late August and my tactics still aren't fluid, all of them I stuck with since last season. I understand any transfers drop tactical familiarity and I did hire a lot of players, but since mid July there's been no new entries to the squad. Since then I've played 2 friendlies and 5 league matches (so a total of 7 matches) and the familiarity has only gone from midway through "accomplished" to high "accomplished". It's going at a glacial pace.

I previously thought the problem was that I was playing with a semi-pro side, but the club I've been managing for a few seasons now is professional.

Sorry to bump this up but I think I either have a bug, or I understood this wrong, or this is incorrect. I've been struggling with tactical familiarity all my career (I'm in 2024 now) and this season I've got a pretty clear example. I've had the training slider fully up to the left (on "more match training") and on "match tactics" for every match. I'm in late August and my tactics still aren't fluid, all of them I stuck with since last season. I understand any transfers drop tactical familiarity and I did hire a lot of players, but since mid July there's been no new entries to the squad. Since then I've played 2 friendlies and 5 league matches (so a total of 7 matches) and the familiarity has only gone from midway through "accomplished" to high "accomplished". It's going at a glacial pace.

I previously thought the problem was that I was playing with a semi-pro side, but the club I've been managing for a few seasons now is professional.

The issue is you aren't playing enough games. You signed lots of players and played 2 friendlies which is nowhere near enough. Plus it sounds like you are training more than one tactic at a time which slows the process down. I stated above that you need 13 games minimum for it to be fluid so why do you think there's an issue after 7?

What I wrote isn't incorrect.

I was unaware having 3 tactics slowed things down to that extent, that explains it. I thought it was supposed to be 13 matches from the whole 3 tactics to go from completely awkward to fully fluid. What I do is I have 2 alternative tactics with a slightly different game plan, so when I need slight tactical changes within a game my alternative plans are still fluid. I suppose this isn't the best idea then.

By the way I didn't play 2 friendlies, I played 9 (pre-season in Slovakia is really short and I doubt I could fit in even more without risking injury to my players). But I kept on signing players midway through pre-season and the last one arrived with 2 friendlies to go.

• 6 months later...

Just to make sure I'm crystal clear on this:

If
1) I set my general team training to very low
2) But I give all my players individual training focus

and
3) I set match prep to 0%

They will have a "very heavy" individual training workload. However this will mean they spend the maximum possible time on individual focus, and will from that be more likely than all other training configurations to develop the attribute I have selected, ceteris paribus.

Is that correct?

Just wanted to make sure everybody gets this because the answer will really help us set up an optimised training schedule.

Archived