Match Results

Something that's been bothering me for a while so i will ask

Is the result of a match pre-determined before the 3D game is played ? I use to believe not but lately im not so sure . Since i have been playing 2015 and and 2014 i have never scored or been scored against from a corner ? In all levels the corner kick comes in and gets defended away ?

Also in one game this happened and the ball rolled towards my attacker from outside the scoring area and he could have easily scored but instead he took 4 steps away from the ball and the opposition ran onto the ball and scored at the other end ?

So all the tactics and types of players will determine the outcome but the game play is just for window dressing in my opinion

Look forward to your observasions

As far as I know, the result of the match is calculated before the game, and then you are shown the highlights. The result is of course a full simulation given all the variables that can be entered into the match engine. This is not something that is new, and really not something you should worry about. The match engine recalculates any time you or the AI makes a change tactically (be it a formation change, a substitution, whatever). I guess this is the 'skip' or pause you have after you make changes.

So I guess if the ME has calculated that you would lose a game because your formation is able to be exploited by the AI easily, and you spot this early in a match, then make a change to close the exploit, there is every chance you will go on to win. Another way to see that the game cannot fully determine a result in advance is you may bring on a giant striker for a small on in the 89th minute, and he immediately towers above a defender and heads in a winner. This cannot be calculated before the match, only when you make the change, because the ME has no idea what you are going to do in a match.

Actually, it only simulates 45 mins because your team talks will still affect the second half. The important thing to note is that the ME simulates the 45 mins and whatever the score is, is the score. It doesn't calculate the result first and then assembles highlights to "fit" the score. That's what makes the ME so incredibly complex.

In my opinion the score is pre determined and no matter what changes you make the score is the score .... Does anyone score from a corner kick directly into the net from either side ??? Not in my 60 odd games ive played

Of course it`s not pre determined. There are all kinds of way you can influence the game with shouts, tactics and player subs etc.

And for prot651 who has never seen a goal from a corner on either FM 14 or 15, if this is the case (witch I dont think it is), then it`s quite extraordinary.

mmm well i can honestly tell you neither i or my opponent ever scores from a corner ? IE corner kick to be headed or kicked in .. So when i play and theres a corner i know i wont score .And this is strange in both versions ? It would be great if someone could post a video showing me coz ive never seen it ?

i dont think it matters what tactics you use because once you set your tactics the game determines the result . As i said i think the 3D game is window dressing for the results no matter when you ajust the tactics

• 4 weeks later...
mmm well i can honestly tell you neither i or my opponent ever scores from a corner ? IE corner kick to be headed or kicked in .. So when i play and theres a corner i know i wont score .And this is strange in both versions ? It would be great if someone could post a video showing me coz ive never seen it ?

Have a look at these two .pkms from my most recent season. In fact the Rangers Reserves game was literally my last game.

Corner Goal 1

Corner Goal 2

To be fair you do need to set up your corner taking preferences for this to happen. I have both my tall players running at the near post for the flick on. You can see it works well in these two examples.

Nothing is predetermined. The ME doesn't decide in advance what the final result will be based on formations, or know what the end result is before it's happened, or make up stuff in 3D to fit around a set result.

It really does simulate every kick of the ball from start to finish.

However, instead of processing the match in real time while you are watching it, it processes the whole match in the background first and plays it back to you - and this is the cause of confusion to some people.

However, when you think about it, it's obviously impossible to show highlights of a match in real time. To accurately show highlights of something, it must have already happened.

In fact it's precisely because FM is properly simulating a full match and has no prior knowledge of the outcome that it has to simulate the entire game before it can work out which bits are important enough to show you, based on your chosen highlights mode.

Of course, every time a tactics change is made it re-sims the match from that point to include your changes.

This results in something that appears to be in real-time, but is processed in a way that allows selective highlights to be played back.

Honestly I would have thought that the game pre-determines the half time score BUT for everything that happens in the first half, this HT score changes depending on each possession.

Example - game might have set a 1-1 HT score, what if the AI or you get an injury and sub a player on? then it is then re-calculated HT score once the sub is on. That is how I always thought it works.

Nothing is predetermined. The ME doesn't decide in advance what the final result will be based on formations, or know what the end result is before it's happened, or make up stuff in 3D to fit around a set result.

It really does simulate every kick of the ball from start to finish.

However, instead of processing the match in real time while you are watching it, it processes the whole match in the background first and plays it back to you - and this is the cause of confusion to some people.

However, when you think about it, it's obviously impossible to show highlights of a match in real time. To accurately show highlights of something, it must have already happened.

In fact it's precisely because FM is properly simulating a full match and has no prior knowledge of the outcome that it has to simulate the entire game before it can work out which bits are important enough to show you, based on your chosen highlights mode.

Of course, every time a tactics change is made it re-sims the match from that point to include your changes.

This results in something that appears to be in real-time, but is processed in a way that allows selective highlights to be played back.

Am I right in saying the ME simulates every 1/8th of a second of football?. I'm sure I heard Miles say that. This will change the mind of some, though I am sure a few out there will swear til they are blue in the face that the ME is rigged against them to excuse a dismal defeat or their dismal tactical approach in a defeat. Me personally, the ME in it's current state is the best in FM history (so please leave it there :D ). Hilariously however, in my last match (a friendly at home to Man City U21s.... I am Hyde), only 1 Man City fan turned up and I was tempted to take a screenshot and name the lonesome fan "Jimmy NoMates" :lol: ... I lost 3-2

Honestly I would have thought that the game pre-determines the half time score BUT for everything that happens in the first half, this HT score changes depending on each possession.

Example - game might have set a 1-1 HT score, what if the AI or you get an injury and sub a player on? then it is then re-calculated HT score once the sub is on. That is how I always thought it works.

How can you have been here since 2009 and still think that :confused:

This comes up many times every year and it gets explained many times every year.

Just my 2c: I played Genoa in the Champions League and beat them 5-0. Unfortunately I had a power failure and lost my progress. Reloaded and replayed the Genoa game (it was the first after my last save) and, doing everything the same pre match, we lost 2-1 when I played them the second time. If the result was pre-determined then the result would have been exactly the same. This is an experiment you could try for yourself to satisfy yourself that it is definitely not pre-determined.

i dont think it matters what tactics you use because once you set your tactics the game determines the result . As i said i think the 3D game is window dressing for the results no matter when you ajust the tactics

Well then surely there is an easy way to test this. Schedule a friendly with against a team a division below you. Start your first team in your usual formation and see how the first half plays.

Then at half time, sub of your entire team and replace them with kids. Change to an absurd formation like a 1-1-4-4, and play everybody out of position (including a striker in goal).

See how the teams performance changes. If there is no substantive change to the formation or result, then we can conclude the game is rigged and tactics and substitutions don't matter.

If there is a dramatic change in result, then it looks like tactics and substitutions do matter.

See how the teams performance changes. If there is no substantive change to the formation or result, then we can conclude the game is rigged and tactics and substitutions don't matter.

In frustration over not getting the performance I wanted I changed to 1-0-10 all my players on the attacking half of the field, except GK, since it wont allow that.

Team did fine against a top end English PRM team, every time the other side attacked, my team had plenty of time to run back and stop the attack.

Team Talk decides most matches, tactics is perhaps not irrelevant, but TT is far to important.

Having known this for a while, doesn't it stand to reason then that making a change (even a small one) after a card or goal makes more sense than not? Given that in one scenario the game has (especially in the case of a goal) changed dramatically, but your team is still playing in the style it was before the event.

Having known this for a while, doesn't it stand to reason then that making a change (even a small one) after a card or goal makes more sense than not? Given that in one scenario the game has (especially in the case of a goal) changed dramatically, but your team is still playing in the style it was before the event.

That'll depend on the (choice of what to) change and context of the match.

Right. But is there any scenario in which you WOULDN'T want to recalculate the rest of the half after a goal (for either side)?

Are you talking about making changes just for the sake of it? That doesn't make any sense! If you don't need to make changes, you don't have to.

I'm having trouble articulating what I'm getting at. But no, not just for the sake of it.

Okay, I didn't think you would say something like that, but had to check. :D

There's no reason to make changes just so that the ME "re-calculates". You won't gain anything from it, apart from what the changes themselves influence. Hope that's a little clearer.

Maybe like this: does the ME take scoreline into effect when calculating player decisions?

Yes of course it does.

FM calculates absolutely everything eight times for each in game second. Everything that happens on the pitch influences decisions & the choices a player makes.

Archived