Injuries? Yes, fix needed

The amount of injuries is fine. But in my opinion, the severity or their lengths are a problem. I had two players out for 3-4 and 6-8 months on the same match. One broke his ankle, the other one broke his lower leg. Now that + regular injuries are too much for me.

The downside to my theory is that this happened only once in my one-season savegame and it's the only game I've played on FM15. But injuries are something I read quite a lot both here and on community forums/sites and that can't be a coincidence.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The downside to my theory is that this happened only once in my one-season savegame and it's the only game I've played on FM15. But injuries are something I read quite a lot both here and on community forums/sites and that can't be a coincidence.

Its always been the same on FM and the answer boils down to two things:

A) Some users have unrealistic expectations of how many injuries are "normal"

B) The other main group is users that can't accept that its something they are doing which gives them an above average amount of injuries.

I've never had an injury issue on any version of FM and consistently have a low number of injuries in my squad. As an example in my last FM14 save at the start of the 2023 season I had six players out injured (Squad of 27) and thats the most I've had out at any one time during that save.

In terms of length of injuries there is a lot of perception bias, the minority of times that a user has sat down and actually recorded the injuries over a period of time its shown that it works just fine with longer injuries being significantly rarer than shorter ones.

I had 5 injuries in one COC game last night against Preston in my Man Utd save 3 of which happened in the 1st half. 2 of the subs i brought on, Rojo and Anderson for the injured Shaw and Rooney got injured early in the 2nd half meaning i had to finish with 9 men. Of the 5 injuries 2 were only out for a couple of days with Shaw, Rooney ,and Rojo out for a couiple of months.

I had 5 injuries in one COC game last night against Preston in my Man Utd save 3 of which happened in the 1st half. 2 of the subs i brought on, Rojo and Anderson for the injured Shaw and Rooney got injured early in the 2nd half meaning i had to finish with 9 men. Of the 5 injuries 2 were only out for a couple of days with Shaw, Rooney ,and Rojo out for a couiple of months.

That match would be an ideal example for the bugs forum. Could you please report this and upload the PKM to the FTP server? It's a quick process and it is explained in the header in the bugs forum. :)

Concerning the injuries.

I think the frequency is perfect, the problem is that injuries happen too often during matches instead of training injuries. That's why people complain.

Several times one player got injured and the sub got injured also 5 min later. This is weird. also had 4 injuries during a game etc.

I understand that training etc. influences the injury frequency, but i think some balancing towards training injuries would be good.

This doesn't mean to tone down the frequency, since i think overall it is realistic.

This is exactly my take on things. If anything, I always felt that FM injuries were (a) Too low compared with RL and (b) Followed a too obvious pattern: get through the dodgy first couple of summer training/friendlies weeks and then you pretty much went through a whole season with a virtually unscathed squad, perhaps with one or two long term injuries at any moment. And all that in LLM too, which is the only way I play, where there are far fewer and much crappier physios and coaches to help along.

So I'm all for more injured players in the squad. The problem I have is again the pattern. It seems that there are more in-game injuries and far fewer training ones. This has a problem with realism (although I have no stats to back this up, as a long-suffering Arsenal fan I have come to dread training reports more than the odd dramatic Walcott/Giroud/Van Persie from back in the day/Eduardo/Ramsey moment), and moreover tends to give you injuries in bunches rather than the steady depressing trickling stream of real life. Most of the complaints here seem to have to do with this bunching too.

It seems that there are more in-game injuries and far fewer training ones. This has a problem with realism

Does it? I would've thought the fast paced high intensity of a competitive fixture would be more likely to yield knocks than your average training session. But that's just basing it on common sense.

In any case, no-one here, before the release of this game had the first clue what the ratio of training ground to match injuries was, and probably most still don't. It feels as though people are just looking for ways there 'might' be a bug with injuries because they are suffering loads, and can't quite accept that it might just be something they're doing themselves. And that's not aimed at you incidentally, I'm meaning on a more global sense.

Imo too many knocks that require a sub is happening during games

Nearly every game Shaw and RVP pick up knocks in the game so much so that im surprised when they can finish 90 mins without one

on multiple occasions i have had 4-5 injuries in a game and one time had to finish the match with 8 players on the pitch!

its the knocks during the games that need to be toned down, i get more of those than actual training ground injuries

Do you sub your player straight away when he gets a knock in game, or do you leave him on? Do you check the condition of the player after the knock? Are these players fully match fit, and are you playing an intense pressing game for the whole match?

In previous FMs, there wasn't as much of a penalty for playing a pressing game for the whole match, but I've noticed on this one that if you play that way for the entire game, you WILL run the risk of little niggles. And that's how it should be. Even the teams with the most obvious pressing tactical set up like Borussia Dortmind don't go at it for the whole 90mins.

I play a pressing game in one of my saves, but what I'll often do, depending on other factors, is remove the close down instruction for maybe the last 15 mins of each half, particularly if I'm comfortably in front. I also sometimes use the take a breather instruction if I notice their condition going down quicker than normal. As a result, I rarely get match injuries. The majority of mine come from the training ground, although I don't get many of those either.

I'm very proactive when it comes to player fitness, to make up for my many tactical deficiencies :lol:

Its always been the same on FM and the answer boils down to two things:

A) Some users have unrealistic expectations of how many injuries are "normal"

B) The other main group is users that can't accept that its something they are doing which gives them an above average amount of injuries.

I've never had an injury issue on any version of FM and consistently have a low number of injuries in my squad. As an example in my last FM14 save at the start of the 2023 season I had six players out injured (Squad of 27) and thats the most I've had out at any one time during that save.

Ditto to all of this. Let's face it, if forum users were to be believed then there's been some sort of injury bug in literally every single game and every single patch that's ever been released. It's always something that people complain about when a new game/patch is released.

Neil posted a link to physioroom.com showing the number of PL players out injured right now in real life which currently stands at 127. I ran a save where I checked the injuries once a week for 6 months and it was consistently around the 60-80 range (plus or minus 10 - of my 26 data points, the min was 49 and max was 88). So on average, a team would expect to have 3-4 players injured at any given time - there may well be some who have 8-10 while others have 0 or 1, but that's just how things go. And QPR topped the league table for most of that game despite having 7+ injuries for more than a quarter of the game and 5+ out for two thirds of it, so an injury 'crisis' isn't necessarily the end of the world. It's an unfortunate and often unforeseen situation that you've been put in but it's up to you to try and handle it as best as you can.

What exactly 'needs fixing'? Be very specific here.

Well, the fact that myself, and evidently others, are getting far too many injuries. Losing 9 players in the opening 3 games is not right for a squad with good match fitness and average training workload. Somethings not right.

Well, the fact that myself, and evidently others, are getting far too many injuries. Losing 9 players in the opening 3 games is not right for a squad with good match fitness and average training workload. Somethings not right.
How are the AI teams doing in your league? Also suffering from a lot of injuries?

So what have you done to help SI with this possible problem? Uploaded PKMS and savegames for them to examine?

Injury crisis can and do happen iin the game have have done for at least 3 or 4 versions that I recall. You've not mentioned any injuries preseason, so I'm guessing that you've just started a small injury crisis that will blow itself over in a week or two in game.

Look at the bugs forum and find the post about injuries and see if you can add your info and upload your PKMs and savegame. That's the only way to get SI to look at any genuine injury concerns in the game, without proof SI can do nothing as all their tests show that injuries happen less often then IRL.

Are your tactics a high tempo pressing game? And if so, do you use that tactic for the whole match?

First I would like to say that I have had this sissue since start. I played in the BETA, and yes there were some injuries, especially pre-season or early season, but it didnt bother me. I always managed to keep 11 players on the pitch. After launch, I have on several occations managed to get up to a maximum of 6 players injuried in one game, in a row lasting for the entire season. Now let me clarify it once more; I managed a very big club in BETA, but with decent trainers and fields (AS Roma). When game launced, I chose AFC Wimbledon, and litteraly had to quit mid season, because there were no more players left to pick from, and the board didnt allow me to sign any more free players (not even greyed out). Thats a LOT of injuries. This happened mostly in the first part of the season. Let me add again, I played with AS Roma before this, and had a very decent number of injuries. Why do I repeat this? Because I use exact same training schedule, and tactics (match tactics too). So I decided to test if it was the engine, or something else. I downloaded the editor, and gave AFC Wimbledon 20 in all (not players obviously). Meaning the best staff possible, best training grounds etc. It didnt change a thing. I still got heaps of injuries. The players were match fit much faster and earlier in the season, but I still frequently experience up to 4-5 injuries in a single game. Now talking about realism. This is NOT realistic. It MIGHT happen, yes, but how often does it happen for a side they get so many injuries they have to play with 8 or 9 players? I cant recall having watched even one so far in my life.

Now something funny is going on. I dont know really why or what. When I swapped back to the serie A save, I had no problems at all anymore. So at tyhe moment im stuck in serie A. And yes, I tested this quite a lot. Have more than 100 hours played since launch, and much more if adding beta. Half of this, is testing. Restarting trying again. Restarting and trying again (new game each time)

First I would like to say that I have had this sissue since start. I played in the BETA, and yes there were some injuries, especially pre-season or early season, but it didnt bother me. I always managed to keep 11 players on the pitch. After launch, I have on several occations managed to get up to a maximum of 6 players injuried in one game, in a row lasting for the entire season. Now let me clarify it once more; I managed a very big club in BETA, but with decent trainers and fields (AS Roma). When game launced, I chose AFC Wimbledon, and litteraly had to quit mid season, because there were no more players left to pick from, and the board didnt allow me to sign any more free players (not even greyed out). Thats a LOT of injuries. This happened mostly in the first part of the season. Let me add again, I played with AS Roma before this, and had a very decent number of injuries. Why do I repeat this? Because I use exact same training schedule, and tactics (match tactics too). So I decided to test if it was the engine, or something else. I downloaded the editor, and gave AFC Wimbledon 20 in all (not players obviously). Meaning the best staff possible, best training grounds etc. It didnt change a thing. I still got heaps of injuries. The players were match fit much faster and earlier in the season, but I still frequently experience up to 4-5 injuries in a single game. Now talking about realism. This is NOT realistic. It MIGHT happen, yes, but how often does it happen for a side they get so many injuries they have to play with 8 or 9 players? I cant recall having watched even one so far in my life.

Now something funny is going on. I dont know really why or what. When I swapped back to the serie A save, I had no problems at all anymore. So at tyhe moment im stuck in serie A. And yes, I tested this quite a lot. Have more than 100 hours played since launch, and much more if adding beta. Half of this, is testing. Restarting trying again. Restarting and trying again (new game each time)

Have you read anything in this thread? We keep asking for the same information. :(

- If you're getting 6 players injured in a single game, you're doing something dreadfully wrong. Upload your save and pkm of that game and report it in the bugs forum.

- An alternative, is to list what you're doing with training and how you're handling players who aren't match fit.

- Are the AI teams suffering this much too? If they aren't, it isn't an injury bug.

Have you read anything in this thread? We keep asking for the same information. :(

- If you're getting 6 players injured in a single game, you're doing something dreadfully wrong. Upload your save and pkm of that game and report it in the bugs forum.

- An alternative, is to list what you're doing with training and how you're handling players who aren't match fit.

- Are the AI teams suffering this much too? If they aren't, it isn't an injury bug.

Have YOU read MY text? I clearly said this happened with AFC Wimbledon, even I maxed out all fields of importance, while on the other save, playing with same tactic and same training regime (AS Roma) I havent had this problem. Please use your ball on top of your shoulders. Reread my text above the part you skimmed (many injuries), and rephrase what you wanna say. How can it be dreadfully wrong and totally right at the same time? I know you are just a moderator, but if you wanna moderate I expect you to at least read what you comment on.

How can it be dreadfully wrong and totally right at the same time?

Because what you're doing at Roma isn't working at Wimbledon? Sounds the most logical explanation. Players at Roma will probably have a higher level of natural fitness. Your training regime and match tactics may suit the players at Roma but not at at Wimbledon.

The very fact there's such a disparity in the two teams you're managing sorta backs this up. You'd maybe have more of a case if the two teams were, say, Roma and Inter for example.

Have YOU read MY text? I clearly said this happened with AFC Wimbledon, even I maxed out all fields of importance, while on the other save, playing with same tactic and same training regime (AS Roma) I havent had this problem. Please use your ball on top of your shoulders. Reread my text above the part you skimmed (many injuries), and rephrase what you wanna say. How can it be dreadfully wrong and totally right at the same time? I know you are just a moderator, but if you wanna moderate I expect you to at least read what you comment on.

Okay, big boy. Calm down, I read what you wrote. Whether you're Man Utd or Dogs Utd, it doesn't matter. I have a game in 2nd Div Romania with crappy facilities, coaches and players yet somehow they manage to not ever have more than 4-5 players injured at most. The AI teams are doing fine too - never more than 7-8.

Of course it will happen you should have edited the players too so that everything is equal in your test. Are you saying Serie A and English league 2 players are equal?

This sounds very extreme, not something I've seen before. I'd be very interested in seeing your Wimbledon save if you'd be kind enough to upload it?

So you were using the exact same training and tactics on the game with AS Roma as with AFC Wimbledon?

Roma's players are far superior to Wimbledon players so they certainly can handle a tougher training schedule and physically more punishing tactics than the Wimbledon players.

All you have done is proved that it's the training and tactics that is causing the problem.

That match would be an ideal example for the bugs forum. Could you please report this and upload the PKM to the FTP server? It's a quick process and it is explained in the header in the bugs forum. :)

Before i upload the save to the bugs forum is there anything to lookout for in training? I have my assistant manager assigned to take charge of training and in previous years i haven't had this many injury problems. I would have assumed that he would know what training intensity etc be best at least better than mine because it wouldn't be my strong point in the game.

Before i upload the save to the bugs forum is there anything to lookout for in training? I have my assistant manager assigned to take charge of training and in previous years i haven't had this many injury problems. I would have assumed that he would know what training intensity etc be best at least better than mine because it wouldn't be my strong point in the game.

It might not be training at all. It might be that you're over-working players who aren't match fit.

I don't think there's an ideal setting for training, but the SI guys were brave enough to offer, so upload it and see what they say :)

The altenative is to go into detail about what's being done in training and how you're using players in games who aren't match fit.

It might not be training at all. It might be that you're over-working players who aren't match fit.

I don't think there's an ideal setting for training, but the SI guys were brave enough to offer, so upload it and see what they say :)

The altenative is to go into detail about what's being done in training and how you're using players in games who aren't match fit.

I'll have a look in depth when i get home from work and take it from there...knowing me it's probably something easy i'm not seeing or over looking which i really actually hope is the case :) Cheers Hunt3r:thup:

I cant believe some of you actually try to defend this problem. 4-5 injuries during matches? If that isnt enough to make you realize somethings wrong, nothing ever will for the fanbois. Instead of defending the pure perfectionalized game, maybe try to help the developers. If there are several others who experience this (having to play with 8-9 players due to injuries) then there is a problem. Period. Now I went back to the beta version of the game. Same AFC Wimbledon, Ive played jsut a few pre-season games. Same strategy and tactics and training. No injuries during the first 5 games, whereas in the full version I had half the team out already. I will do a lot of testing on this, but the blatant denying somethings wrong makes you tbh look like fools. Its only natural theres bugs and errors, try ironing them out instead of letting the lower hole open up too often.

I dont pretend to be an expert on this game, but I have already passed 350 hours. Which is plenty of time to test out errors and smaller bugs. Older versions I have played more than 2000 hours each. I am also a coach in real life, and a former football player. I have never ever witnessed this problem with injuries in real life, and on only one occation in the FM series, then it was fixed relatively fast.

Edit; I am also running another test verion in the backgrounbd. In this one, I have transferred ALL the AS Roma players to AFC Wimbledon, and ALL AFC Wimbledon players to AS Roma. Now, so far the italian stars are fragile it seems. Auto play so far 4 months and guess this needs testing several times over several periods, but so far there has been 8 games where more than 5 players were injured (on both sides). 6 games. my AFC Romadon side has had to finish with 9 playes (once with 8). NONE of the games has finished without injuries. None...Taste that, then go out in real life to check, any league, even the pub leaguse. Injuries in every game. What is this?

So what have you done to help SI with this possible problem? Uploaded PKMS and savegames for them to examine?

Well I thought signing up the the forum and posting my thoughts was a good start.

How would I go about uploading a saved game? And what on earth is a PKMS (please excuse my ignorance to IT)

Well I thought signing up the the forum and posting my thoughts was a good start.

How would I go about uploading a saved game? And what on earth is a PKMS (please excuse my ignorance to IT)

I cant believe some of you actually try to defend this problem. 4-5 injuries during matches? If that isnt enough to make you realize somethings wrong, nothing ever will for the fanbois. Instead of defending the pure perfectionalized game, maybe try to help the developers. If there are several others who experience this (having to play with 8-9 players due to injuries) then there is a problem. Period. Now I went back to the beta version of the game. Same AFC Wimbledon, Ive played jsut a few pre-season games. Same strategy and tactics and training. No injuries during the first 5 games, whereas in the full version I had half the team out already. I will do a lot of testing on this, but the blatant denying somethings wrong makes you tbh look like fools. Its only natural theres bugs and errors, try ironing them out instead of letting the lower hole open up too often.

I dont pretend to be an expert on this game, but I have already passed 350 hours. Which is plenty of time to test out errors and smaller bugs. Older versions I have played more than 2000 hours each. I am also a coach in real life, and a former football player. I have never ever witnessed this problem with injuries in real life, and on only one occation in the FM series, then it was fixed relatively fast.

Maybe not everyone are having this problem and maybe not everyone are running their players into the ground.

Do you rest players before and after a game for training? Are you reducing training when players are cleary losing condition.

There are obvious tweaks in the way players need rest this year and if you keep going about not resting or rotating players then you are going to have problems with injuries. Not a bug adjust to new tweaks.

This. I'm sure that injuries can be prevented with clever use of tactics, but for us non FM experts it has become unplayable.

Maybe not everyone are having this problem and maybe not everyone are running their players into the ground.

Do you rest players before and after a game for training? Are you reducing training when players are cleary losing condition.

There are obvious tweaks in the way players need rest this year and if you keep going about not resting or rotating players then you are going to have problems with injuries. Not a bug adjust to new tweaks.

I have tried all possible options. From directly copying the strategy AND coaches AS Roma use, to tweaking. I have tried ALL levels of training, from absolutely NO training, to MAX training, in all different categories, including individual and pre-match training. I have also tried 12 different ass-managers, and let them auto-select training. Still no help.

TBH I am not going to worry anymore about this. If the mocking of the moderator in here is anywhere descriptive of the general attitude among the SI staff, patting their own backs about a product which is the poorest so far considering the technology available, I simply see no reason to trying to reach through. You dont see the problem altough it is standing right in front of you tossing bananas in your face, so what else can I do. I can make a spreadsheet to try to register what type of injuries, correlated to what type of action involving the injury and or training regime afforehand, but if I while doing this is taken for some sort of jester I prefer to not.

TBH I am not going to worry anymore about this. If the mocking of the moderator in here is anywhere descriptive of the general attitude among the SI staff, patting their own backs about a product which is the poorest so far considering the technology available, I simply see no reason to trying to reach through. You dont see the problem altough it is standing right in front of you tossing bananas in your face, so what else can I do. I can make a spreadsheet to try to register what type of injuries, correlated to what type of action involving the injury and or training regime afforehand, but if I while doing this is taken for some sort of jester I prefer to not.

Instead of throwing bananas and making up spreadsheets, why don't you just upload the save. It only takes a minute or two. What do you have to lose?

If this was directed to me, then I have uploaded savegames to SI since 2003. So yes I guess we all know the answer. Do you want a cookie now?

No idea why you have to be so agressive. People here are only trying to help you, but until you can actually provide some sort of evidence for your rants, then no-one is going to take you remotely seriously.

If this was directed to me, then I have uploaded savegames to SI since 2003. So yes I guess we all know the answer. Do you want a cookie now? Edit. And to avoid cicrle jerking discussion I ignored some users. No need to hide the issue behind that.

I'd really love to take a look at your Wimbledon save Killimandros. I've yet to be truly convinced by any piece of evidence uploaded supporting an injury bug, but it sounds like your save could provide some evidence to that end. If I can see something concrete proving there's a serious problem then of course I can promise we'll look into addressing the issue.

This is a system to prevent all except fanbois to make the developers aware of any problem. There ARE no problems EVER with FM. Check the newspaper articles. All of those journalists obviously are mentally weakened. (to Whitdean)

Oh come on, the Bugs Forum and its multiple, busy subforums would like a word with you. There are problems, there are bugs, and nobody has ever suggested otherwise. Indeed, SI's position is that the ME will never be "finished" in their eyes, as it can always be improved and made more lifelike. The same is likely true for the rest of the game.

But think logically- what's more useful to a developer? Some random, unregistered person talking about the problems they're having with words, which could be exaggerated, vague, inaccurate or misinterpreted, or having access the actual save game and match there in front of them so they can look at what's going on themselves, get under the hood and see why this person is having these problems? It could be that there is a legitimate bug, and the game is wrong. It could be that it's something the user is doing. It could be somewhere between the two. But without being able to look at it, all you're going to get is people- including mods here who do actually know what they're talking about- doing all they can to try to explain what could be causing it.

So yes, even if it's something you think is ubiquitous, uploading saves help them, and anyone- not just "fanbois"- can do that. It doesn't exclude anyone.

If this was directed to me, then I have uploaded savegames to SI since 2003. So yes I guess we all know the answer. Do you want a cookie now? Edit. And to avoid cicrle jerking discussion I ignored some users. No need to hide the issue behind that.

Upload your save to a file sharing site, post the link in this thread and we can try your save for ourselves.

If there is a bug I'm sure we will then all encounter it won't we.

Archived