Clwb Pêl Droed Caersws

dafuge

Fingers crossed to make it through a round for a bit more cash towards being able to go pro.

I'm in a tricky situation with that. The only way I think I can beat TNS to a CL spot is by turning pro, but the only way of making the money to turn pro is by playing in the CL.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in a tricky situation with that. The only way I think I can beat TNS to a CL spot is by turning pro, but the only way of making the money to turn pro is by playing in the CL.

That's true, but you could get a nice surprise after a couple of seasons of Europa qualifiers. Especially if one seasons prize money took care of the clubs debts.

Caersws - Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League - 2017/18

Last season we made our debut in Europe after finishing 2nd in the league, this season we were hoping to improve on that.

League Table - for the second season running we pipped Port Talbot to 2nd on the last day, with TNS beating them. The gap to TNS has been reduced, although it is still huge. There's no mention of European qualification yet, which is making me nervous.

theWord Cup - nothing special happened as I gave the squad players a run out.

FAW Welsh Cup - we had a chance to win the cup again, but TNS ruined our hopes in the final.

UEFA Europa League - it was the same story as last season, although that draw felt like a huge result.

Transfers - a few former key players were released as the squad was improved.

Squad - the squad is in great shape, but a number of key players will not sign new contracts so I could be set to lose a lot of important players.

Finances - the £80k from the European game is enough to keep us out of trouble.

Key Player Profiles:

Adrian Pembridge - top scorer who came through the youth system. He's about to leave as his contract is ending.

Max Jenks-Gilbert - former top scorer, also leaving.

Jonathan Evans - our star midfielder. Leaving.

Sam Roden - our star defender. Leaving.

Jamie McDaid - an impressive winger, and he's staying!

Career Overview

Season   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  10th        
2015/16  2nd         Welsh Cup winners
2016/17  2nd         
2017/18  2nd         Welsh Cup finalists

Next Season

The number of key players leaving is a concern, so I'll have to strengthen the squad over the summer. Hopefully we can repeat our 2nd place finish again.

Caersws - Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League - 2018/19

Last season we just about hung on to 2nd place, but with a number of key players leaving this had the potential to be a tough season.

League Table - we struggled at the start, but Port Talbot faded badly as the season went on. The bad news is that I now have to go into a playoff to qualify for the Europa League.

theWord Cup - TNS beating us once again.

FAW Welsh Cup - this was a bit of a shock.

UEFA Europa League - same old story.

Transfers - I did my best to replace the key players, but it wasn't possible.

Squad - the youth system seems to be providing us with our best players, it is just shame they don't stick around for very long.

Finances - a bit of a loss, mostly due to me offloading some unwanted players.

Key Player Profiles:

Nicholas Rushton - he set a new club record for his goal total.

Joe Kennedy - the captain has stuck around.

Jamie McDaid - the coaches don't rate him but he's doing well.

Dylan Tebble - a youth product who is finding his way into the team.

Jason Blackwell - another youth product in the first team.

Career Overview

2014/15  10th        
2016/17  2nd         
2018/19  2nd         

Next Season

The aim remains the same, to keep qualifying for Europe and attempt to close the gap to TNS.

Speaking of Europe, we've got those playoffs coming up...

TNS are proving hard to catch, how have they been doing in CL? Looks like a tougher challenge than it first appeared.

Unlucky losing some of your best players especially when they end up retiring or clubless.

Kennedy & McDaid links are wrong way around

TNS are proving hard to catch, how have they been doing in CL? Looks like a tougher challenge than it first appeared.

Unlucky losing some of your best players especially when they end up retiring or clubless.

Kennedy & McDaid links are wrong way around

For the first three seasons they lost in the first qualifier, since then they have lost in the 2nd qualifier for four years. At least they are making progress!

Losing my players is horrible, my youth system seems to be producing handy players but they tend to leave when their contracts expire.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed it now.

Big follower of Welsh football IRL.

Who did you swap Caersws with at the start of the game? They're currently a second-tier side and have been out of the WPL for a few years now.

I holidayed the first season as an unemployed manager and then took charge once a couple of new clubs had been promoted.

Are TNS this dominant in real life?

Yes and no, they've won the last three titles and are the only full-time professional club but this year in particular, Airbus have emerged as a strong forced with good backing to challenge them.

Other than that IRL, there is very little between any of the other clubs. How do you find the league format? It's quite unusual isn't it.

There's a very sad story about Caersws' ground as a kid was killed by one of the goalposts. Link. :(

Yes and no, they've won the last three titles and are the only full-time professional club but this year in particular, Airbus have emerged as a strong forced with good backing to challenge them.

Other than that IRL, there is very little between any of the other clubs. How do you find the league format? It's quite unusual isn't it.

There's a very sad story about Caersws' ground as a kid was killed by one of the goalposts. Link. :(

Airbus have just been relegated on my game, its Port Talbot that seem to be giving me the biggest challenge (other than TNS).

The league structure is a little odd, especially when we lost a EL spot so I had to go into the playoffs despite finishing 2nd!

That story is really sad :(

Daf - just out of interest, why did you choose the Welsh leagues?

Two years ago I had a game in Northern Ireland which was really good, so I wanted to try something similar. Wales didn't have the lower leagues, but the reputation of the top league is smaller.

I also have some Welsh family, so there's a bit of a personal connection.

Airbus have just been relegated on my game, its Port Talbot that seem to be giving me the biggest challenge (other than TNS).

The league structure is a little odd, especially when we lost a EL spot so I had to go into the playoffs despite finishing 2nd!

That story is really sad :(

Ah ok, Port Talbot is my club IRL. :)

Caersws - Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League - 2019/20

We seem to have settled into a pattern of finishing 2nd and losing our best players as their contracts expire. Hopefully something will change about that.

League Table - it was the same story as we beat Port Talbot to 2nd thanks to the split in the league. The gap to TNS is shrinking, but it is still huge.

theWord Cup - a superb cup win as we edged out our rivals along the way.

FAW Welsh Cup - TNS got their revenge, beating us in the final.

UEFA Europa League - this was huge, as we made it five games unbeaten before Levski destroyed us.

Transfers - just a couple of tweaks to the squad.

Squad - once again, key players are leaving so we will be weaker going into next season.

Finances - the run in Europe has made us 'rich', it's just a shame the board won't let me spend any of it.

Key Player Profiles:

Nicholas Rushton - top scorer again.

Martin Carroll - a great season for the midfielder.

Tom Griffiths - a youth product who has impressed on the wing.

Joe Kennedy - he's still here.

Rhys Egito - a youth product who could become my main striker, unless he leaves.

Career Overview

2014/15  10th        
2016/17  2nd         
2018/19  2nd         
2019/20  2nd         League Cup winners, Welsh Cup finalists

Next Season

The run in Europe felt huge, so hopefully there's a knock on effect from that going into the new season. Once again my aim is to rebuild the squad due to expiring contracts and finish 2nd in the league.

Welsh Premier League up 14 - more than any other league

Caersws up 332 - more than any other club

Wales up 5 - means TNS enter at the 2nd qualifying round

:cool:

You have a great European run, which helps out your rivals next season - that hardly seems fair!!

Caersws - Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League - 2020/21

The club is still slowly improving, but TNS really are in a league of their own. This season was another case of trying to finish 2nd.

League Table - Port Talbot had a bad season so we took 2nd easily.

theWord Cup - 12 people turned up to see us lose 1-0.

FAW Welsh Cup - once again, TNS beat us in the cup.

UEFA Europa League - after the run last season it was disappointing to go out like this.

Transfers - a number of key players left, so there was a lot of rebuilding to do. Once again, the stars that left retired.

Squad - the squad is huge as I've tried to bring a number of youth products into the squad.

Finances - a loss, but the money from last season is still there.

Key Player Profiles:

Richard Mainwaring - a new signing who could have a big impact next season.

Rhys Egito - would have been the stand out player but spent a lot of time injured.

Dylan Tebble - the current star of the youth system.

Martin Carroll - despite all the new signings, he's still doing well.

Timmy O'Rourke - the only player leaving this summer, he'll be a big loss.

Career Overview

2014/15  10th        
2016/17  2nd         
2018/19  2nd         
2019/20  2nd         League Cup winners, Welsh Cup finalists
2020/21  2nd

Next Season

With just one player leaving, we've got a chance to really improve the squad for next season. Hopefully this time I'll get the fitness right for the early Europa League game.

Archived