A really unexpected sacking!!!

Set the scene-----2016/2017 season. I started out as Blackburn Rovers manager who are my favourite team. I got them promoted and then established back in the premier league. Sunderland job becomes available mid season in my 3rd season. Was offered a lot of money transfer wise and wage wise. Much bigger club in terms of fan base and money etc so thought it would be a good step up.

1st role to keep them safe. Successful. Finished 12th that season.

Next season, not as much money to begin with and was only to finish mid table and play attacking football. Half way through the season I am in the top 3 completely over achieving but given a massive increase of funds which was great. Pushed on and finished 4th. Massive achievement I thought. I spent 61 million and brought in 30 million. A lot spent though on young players with massive potentials but good enough to play straight away.

This season. No money available which is obvious why on last seasons spend. But I thought I would sell 2 or 3 stars including last season top goal scorer as well but to bring in champions league quality. I qualified for group stages in great style winning 7-3 on aggregate. . I am unbeaten winning 2 and drawing 2 in europe including a win and draw against Athelic MAdrid who are unbeaten in spain and top their league, even against Barcelona they won comfortably, so I am the only team to beat them this season.

However I am suffering league wise though. Do have 3 or 4 players who were concerned because target is qualify for europe via league (not champions league but europa) however 12 games in I have lost 5 and won only 4. Just lost to Man City which proved to be my last game in charge.

I didn't expect the sack at all lol especially that any money I have spent this season I had to make myself by selling players. I left myself with a smallish squad which didn't help ie tiredness etc.

Really gutted!!!! Price for over achieving the season before. Oh well lets see where my next adventure will be.

Cheers for being a good sport about it! I hate when that happens. You usually buy young players and make plans for the future, and then BAM! Tried it in the Danish 2nd division once... overachieved with a newly promoted team and got really good youth. So next season I was giving the young ones lots of playing time, but the team didn't perform as well. But the future was looking bright. Unfortunately my contract was up after the season, and before I knew it, right in the middle of preparing for the next season, I was without a job...

It does help to ask the board for more time, so make sure to check when you are insecure.

It's still Ellis short who is the real life owner still as well. Don't think he is described as a tycoon owner as in the season I got sacked he would of funded millions for transfer however was only given half a million and had to fund any transfers myself by selling. The year I spent 60 million I raised 30 million of it myself as well.

Taken over AFC Fiorentina anyway. Never managed in the Italian league lol so will be a challenge.

This game is broken since the final patch. Sackings happen too often and what you've done in the past really does not matter now which is one reason among many why i've stopped playing FM13, you'll find also that AI managers are getting sacked far too often as well. Only 2 original managers remained at the start of the 2nd season in the EPL in my previous game. Its bugged i'm 100% sure. My job was on the line at NUFC despite being in the CL and having won the CO cup/being FA cup runners up. That isn't right surely?

Doesn't sound good at all. Do admit a lot of managerial changes do happen and some strange appointments as well. For instance I once had a saved game that saw Martin Jol get the England job even though he hadnt done anything spectacular in club jobs.

I find at the top of the pile, managers do end up on a bit of a merry-go-round, but it's not the same the lower down you go. You can often find managers keeping a job for ten, twenty years even if they're nowhere near successful. I don't think there's much of a problem with jobs. It's a little more fluid, but in a football management game where you can club hop, would you want every job to be iron clad? It limits player opportunities

This game is broken since the final patch.

Hang on, mate: the OP was at Blackburn. ;)

Your Newcastle experience sounds a bit funny, though...then again, Mike Ashley!

This game is broken since the final patch. Sackings happen too often and what you've done in the past really does not matter now which is one reason among many why i've stopped playing FM13, you'll find also that AI managers are getting sacked far too often as well. Only 2 original managers remained at the start of the 2nd season in the EPL in my previous game. Its bugged i'm 100% sure. My job was on the line at NUFC despite being in the CL and having won the CO cup/being FA cup runners up. That isn't right surely?

How can you reflect reality when reality is 'bugged' in terms of sackings, months after successes. Win the double? Tough, goodbye. Win the Champions League? Tough, goodbye. Back to back promotions? Tough, goodbye.

Mancini is still Man City manager on my current save and it's 2024. In 12 years he's won 1x CL, 2 x Prem and 1 x FA Cup and that's it. That's bugged. :D

I've lasted 7 years at the same club in Spain. Quite sure thats a record, they're always sacking managers over there.

I've not got the transfer update on my save, Chelsea still have Di Matteo in charge in 2019... Even after he finished 11th in the league once.

A bit harsh but as people have said Di Canio, Mancini, Ancelloti, Adkins are some reason unjust prem league sackings in real life.

Think how many Real Madrid managers have been sacked despite winning the league.

What I'd like to see is a bit of variety in the appointments. The season I've just gone it's just a merry go round with no sense. Pulis got the Newcastle job despite stoke being higher, Moyes then went to Stoke, Pardew then went to Everton, Martinez went to Villa, Lambert went to Wigan!

The only thing that annoys me with FM13 is that a lot of managers fly around the world never really settling anywhere at all.

There are a lot of managers in the game that just leave their teams without any reasons, and often they make a horizontal or a downward transition in terms of quality. I don't see Frank de Boer leave for anything other than a top end job irl, but he left for terrible Stuttgart in 2013. And lots of other managers just arbitrarily sign up to different teams on the same level, or sometimes even worse, whilst their current job is great.

In the same game I have had Moyes leave Everton, to join Reading of all teams. He wasn't fired or anything, he just decided to leave Everton and go work at Reading who where flunking it, then left for Fulham in 2014 where he got sacked the year after. Then returned to Everton which he survived for 2 years, got sacked. Joined Celtic, became succesfull and now has taken over Arsenal in January of 2020.

Here is the picture of Moyes' exploits.

e61cf29171b1d13573e625ad31ec3683.png

Frank de Boer

25b66d108cad04db30c5a9cbaeabd472.png

Jurgen Klopp who answered the call of booty in the middle of the season leaving Chelsea for Man City

f61adef20e1d01f8a25f2a2cd5ef2bcc.png

And of course a favourite of mine, Pep Guardiola who decided that after taking Spain to the World Cup finals, he felt that Norwich was the place to go to. And he even got sacked from his job at Norwich (Man Utd too)

a1a1fb1810973bbe51d30a4235622dfc.png

I feel the AI signing and firing policy needs to be finetuned quite a bit next year. Nothing wrong with managers taking on a new job, but surely you don't see Pep Guardiola take on Norwich? The logic is flawed, and it needs to be fixed.

One thing I would also like to see is more assistant managers and coaches getting a managing job when they got the talent for it. I signed Ole Gunnar as the Head of Youth Development after he won the world cup with England in 2018. I didn't need to haggle either, he was happy to sign 20K a month deal. Which World Cup winning manager doesn't want to become Head of Youth at Everton, when they got the world clearly at their feet...

Anyways, it's one thing I would love to see fixed in FM14. Current managers being smarter and more realistic in their team choices, less sack happy boards and more non-managers getting a chance at managing. It happens in The Netherlands a lot, Cocu got the chance last week when PSV promoted him to the Manager position.

This is a ridiculous piece of managerial movement that happened last summer on my save.

17th place Premier League Reading sack McDermott, hire Eddie Howe of 2nd place Championship Nottingham Forest, Forest then hire back Steve McLaren from Championship winners Bolton. At least Bolton thought outside the box and hired Neil Lennon, but Brian McDermott was the media favourite.

Also, Ian Holloway swapped relegated Blackpool for relegated Ipswich, Blackpool might have even hired McDermott cant remember who they hired.

Basically a massive swap between the bottom of the Premier League/Top of the Championship's managers. Only Leicester (19th) stayed stable.

First time I've posted in this forum in ages!

I agree with the managers sacking/movement system to be "broke"

Examples:

Danny Blind average club career, no titles or trophies to shout about and then randomly he is appointed as the England manager and wins Euro 2020. He then left England and took the Real Betis job?

Brendan Rodgers, sacked as Liverpool manager, then to Sheffield United in League 1, then England the job, now currently Academica in Portugal!

Neil Lennon and Stuart Pearce have also coached Inter, Barcelona, Bayern and Man United between them.

I do think there needs to be a slight unpredictable element to it, the "loose wiring" if you like, but it shouldn't be virtually every appointment on the game you think what the hell!

First time I've posted in this forum in ages!

I agree with the managers sacking/movement system to be "broke"

Examples:

Danny Blind average club career, no titles or trophies to shout about

Champions League 1995, runner up 1996.

Cup Winner's Cup 1987, runner up 1988.

UEFA Cup 1992.

European Super Cup 1995, runner up 1987.

Club World Cup 1995.

Dutch Champions 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998.

Dutch Cup 1987, 1993, 1998, 1999.

Dutch Super Cup 1993, 1994, 1995.

Dutch Player of the Year 1995, 1996.

Looks quite impressive to me tbh.. Or did you do better yourself? ;) The fact he never left Ajax doesn't say slack about his career as Ajax was one of the top European clubs during this time...

Guarnere: I should of made myself clear, average club career in game as a manager! ;)

He managed NAC Breda, Willem II and Ado Den Haag.

Ah, lol xD Sorry then!

Still, those moves to bigger clubs he made might be because of his player career :)

This is a ridiculous piece of managerial movement that happened last summer on my save.

17th place Premier League Reading sack McDermott, hire Eddie Howe of 2nd place Championship Nottingham Forest, Forest then hire back Steve McLaren from Championship winners Bolton. At least Bolton thought outside the box and hired Neil Lennon, but Brian McDermott was the media favourite.

Also, Ian Holloway swapped relegated Blackpool for relegated Ipswich, Blackpool might have even hired McDermott cant remember who they hired.

Basically a massive swap between the bottom of the Premier League/Top of the Championship's managers. Only Leicester (19th) stayed stable.

Sacked by November :D

The only thing that annoys me with FM13 is that a lot of managers fly around the world never really settling anywhere at all.

There are a lot of managers in the game that just leave their teams without any reasons, and often they make a horizontal or a downward transition in terms of quality. I don't see Frank de Boer leave for anything other than a top end job irl, but he left for terrible Stuttgart in 2013. And lots of other managers just arbitrarily sign up to different teams on the same level, or sometimes even worse, whilst their current job is great.

In the same game I have had Moyes leave Everton, to join Reading of all teams. He wasn't fired or anything, he just decided to leave Everton and go work at Reading who where flunking it, then left for Fulham in 2014 where he got sacked the year after. Then returned to Everton which he survived for 2 years, got sacked. Joined Celtic, became succesfull and now has taken over Arsenal in January of 2020.

Here is the picture of Moyes' exploits.

e61cf29171b1d13573e625ad31ec3683.png

Frank de Boer

25b66d108cad04db30c5a9cbaeabd472.png

Jurgen Klopp who answered the call of booty in the middle of the season leaving Chelsea for Man City

f61adef20e1d01f8a25f2a2cd5ef2bcc.png

And of course a favourite of mine, Pep Guardiola who decided that after taking Spain to the World Cup finals, he felt that Norwich was the place to go to. And he even got sacked from his job at Norwich (Man Utd too)

a1a1fb1810973bbe51d30a4235622dfc.png

I feel the AI signing and firing policy needs to be finetuned quite a bit next year. Nothing wrong with managers taking on a new job, but surely you don't see Pep Guardiola take on Norwich? The logic is flawed, and it needs to be fixed.

One thing I would also like to see is more assistant managers and coaches getting a managing job when they got the talent for it. I signed Ole Gunnar as the Head of Youth Development after he won the world cup with England in 2018. I didn't need to haggle either, he was happy to sign 20K a month deal. Which World Cup winning manager doesn't want to become Head of Youth at Everton, when they got the world clearly at their feet...

Anyways, it's one thing I would love to see fixed in FM14. Current managers being smarter and more realistic in their team choices, less sack happy boards and more non-managers getting a chance at managing. It happens in The Netherlands a lot, Cocu got the chance last week when PSV promoted him to the Manager position.

How big are norwich seen to be in the game? Maybe they got a takeover?

Roberto Martinez did something similar to Guardiola above, became Spain boss then quit to go to Alcorcon in the second division bringing his dodgy looking 3-3-2-1-1 (I think thats right) with him.

Have to admit there does seem to always be a merry go round that you would not expect though the one who mentioned Pullis from stoke to newcastle even though they were higher does sound about right. Newcastle are seemed to be a much bigger club than stoke to be honest even I would of made that move. Going to be interesting with FM next year with all these managerial changes happening in the premier league as well as PSG, bayern, real madrid, possibly barcelona.

Other than some strange moves I'd like for the AI to finally (after a million years it still doesn't happen?) sack managers at the end of the season. At the moment pretty much only relegated clubs do that. (and the ocasional CL/EL/Cup finalist that he's doing poorly in the league)

That and the job status has to stop resetting at the end of the season. Really. The AI almost (I'd say never) never fires the coach of one of the top clubs as long as he constantly finishes 3rd (or 2nd). Sometimes even lower and they finish the season with Very Insecure (or wtv I forgot) status but voilá, reset. Even if he doesn't win anything for a ridiculously long time.

If it were one or other club ok, but it applies pretty much to all clubs.

In my game anyway. Sometimes I see some posts that are completely different from what I've seen lol.

Joined Scunthorpe (had just been relegated to league 1) and after 26(I think, it was mid jan) games were dead last 12 points from safety.

Got some loans and free transfers, ended up 19th. Safe.

Got sacked. Have NO idea why.

Bit off topic, but does Michael Appleton always become an amazing manager. He has on both my journeyman FM13 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

Ignore Fergie and Moyes as the move there is already arranged, and past Arsene Wenger the next longest serving Premier League manager is Martinez, then the under fire Pardew, at 4 years and 2 and a half years. It isn't unreasonable to think that Allardyce, at 2 years, will be the 2nd longest when the new season starts.

I'm managing Bonnyrigg Rose, newly promoted to the Scottish Premier League. Probably promoted too early, everyone's expecting immediate relegation from us. They had to upgrade our stadium to 2,200 seats, so we're playing our home games at Hearts stadium. Somehow, against all logic I've pulled Bonnyrigg up to 6th place by March, and we tie Dundee Utd (in 5th place) 1-1. After game, news feed says the coach of Dundee Utd. has been sacked (by this point in the season probably 1/3 of the SPL managers have been sacked). Two days later, Dundee Utd offers me the manager's job. 4x the salary, 4x the wage budget, huge upgrade in transfer budget. I thought about it for 1/2 an hour, and declined. If I can pull us to 6th place on a pauper's budget, what can I do with a legitimate budget offered by the consortium that took over the team a week later? They just tacked on another half-million in transfer fees and raised my wage budget by 33%.

A day later Dundee Utd hired the guy who just got sacked from Motherwell.

I'm managing Bonnyrigg Rose, newly promoted to the Scottish Premier League. Probably promoted too early, everyone's expecting immediate relegation from us. They had to upgrade our stadium to 2,200 seats, so we're playing our home games at Hearts stadium. Somehow, against all logic I've pulled Bonnyrigg up to 6th place by March, and we tie Dundee Utd (in 5th place) 1-1. After game, news feed says the coach of Dundee Utd. has been sacked (by this point in the season probably 1/3 of the SPL managers have been sacked). Two days later, Dundee Utd offers me the manager's job. 4x the salary, 4x the wage budget, huge upgrade in transfer budget. I thought about it for 1/2 an hour, and declined. If I can pull us to 6th place on a pauper's budget, what can I do with a legitimate budget offered by the consortium that took over the team a week later? They just tacked on another half-million in transfer fees and raised my wage budget by 33%.

A day later Dundee Utd hired the guy who just got sacked from Motherwell.

Cool story bro. What's the point? You rejected the job. I guess this is like Stoke hiring Mark Hughes IRL, someone who has just contributed to QPR getting relegated.

Cool story bro. What's the point? You rejected the job. I guess this is like Stoke hiring Mark Hughes IRL, someone who has just contributed to QPR getting relegated.

my point was the same as the previous posters - too many managers are losing their jobs for silly reasons in the middle of the season, and then getting re-hired by teams in the same league. And I know my reputation is improving in the save, but I can't see how a team one spot above me would offer a huge salary to me just because I'm one of 3-4 managers in the top 1/2 of the SPL who hasn't lost his job at least once this season.

Doesn't sound good at all. Do admit a lot of managerial changes do happen and some strange appointments as well. For instance I once had a saved game that saw Martin Jol get the England job even though he hadnt done anything spectacular in club jobs.

To be fair, Martin Jol is well known for preforming above expectations with lesser quality squads, while he seems to struggle managing better sides. Going on that he would be the perfect man for the England job ;p

my point was the same as the previous posters - oo many managers are losing their jobs for silly reasons in the middle of the season, and then getting re-hired by teams in the same league.t And I know my reputation is improving in the save, but I can't see how a team one spot above me would offer a huge salary to me just because I'm one of 3-4 managers in the top 1/2 of the SPL who hasn't lost his job at least once this season.

They aren't though. It's a well known fact that clubs are prepared to sack a manager for any given reason these days. I doubt we will ever see a Alex Ferguson again.

They aren't though. It's a well known fact that clubs employers are prepared to sack a manageran employee for any given reason these days. I doubt we will ever see a Alex Ferguson 30-year employee again.
fixed that for you (sorry, facing my 2nd layoff in less than a year - avoid non-clinical health-care jobs at all costs).

Would you agree that at least in part, in-game progression of human-managed teams benefit from this churn of opposition managers and the resulting loss of tactical fluidity?

Archived