Group A: Greece v Czech Republic

Candre168

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Samaras with a great bit of skill on the counter-attack then spends 10 seconds not doing anything with the ball. :thdn:

Could have spread it to the right wing and set up an attack but instead spent an age doing **** all :D

has the greece keeper even had to make a save since he came on? :D

Once from Rosicky in the first half from about 25 yards is the only one I can think of. Czech's have seemingly took their foot of the gas since the 10th minute.

Think that was fair on the overall balance of play. The first 10 minutes killed any chance Greece had of doing well and in my opinion never looked like scoring really; even their hopeful balls in the area at the end didn't seem to find their man. To say that Samaras was one of their better players, on his hold-up play alone, says it all really.

For the Czechs, they presumed the job was done at half time and it almost cost them - I don't remember them having any chances at all in the 2nd half. But saying that, the game should have been over by half-time with how bad Greece were in the beginning. Jiracek, Pilar and Hubschmann were all impressive for me in the 1st half and Gebre Selaisse was flying down that right flank all game. It'll be interesting to see how they line-up against Poland next time around in what will probably be a winner-takes-all clash.

sort of hope Poland can beat Russia later or they beat Czechs in the last game

Greece and Czech Republic are definitely the two worst teams in the tournament, people might have a go at how some teams play but at least those teams have a talented squad. Couldn't say that about the Greek or Czech squads

If it wasn't for that stupid red in the first game, and the unfortunate injury to A.Papadopoulos, we might not have gotten slaughtered the first 6 mins. We lost one of our best players cause of this silly Spanish fetish with cards, and had to play our best holding midfielder in defence.

That's two disallowed goals now as well. Not saying both were wrong, but these decisions add up eventually...

Great match.

Greece were unfortunately sleepy in the beginning of the match, and this cost them dearly. As I said after the first match, Chalkias is already old, and you see what it means. Torosidis did better than Ninis did and should be kept in the last group match. Holebas is weak. What the team still misses is the effectiveness in attack. Glad that Santos played inspiring Salpigidis. (Oh, the goal was because SAMARAS CAUSED HAVOC. :D)

Czech Republic played their football like in the first match. This is good. The defense looked better, but I think it's because Greece were worse than Russia were, but I think Bílek's decision was correct to drop Hubník and start Limberský. Čech should have communicated better. Gebre Selassie still stood out. Hübschmann and Plašil were better than the pair in the first match. (I forgot who they were.) The attacking midfield was good although Czech kinda miss a striker.

I missed the 'offside' goal but after watching the replays in the analysis post-match, that was definitely onside and the wrong call by the lino which has cost Greece dear.

As I said, these decisions add up and we've been on the end of some terrible ones in the last two games.

Most refs in this Euro have been crap so far, reminds me of WC 2002 a little.

We had to play Katsouranis in CB and Santos fecked up the plan by going to a 4-2-4 so the only option we had was to start pumping long balls from everywhere..ugly stuff and it didn't create us any chances as well.

It's been an unfortunate tournament for us. If we had a proper starting GK, had no ref cockups, and a slight injury for Samaras (:D), everything would be so different now.

Most refs in this Euro have been crap so far, reminds me of WC 2002 a little.

We had to play Katsouranis in CB and Santos fecked up the plan by going to a 4-2-4 so the only option we had was to start pumping long balls from everywhere..ugly stuff and it didn't create us any chances as well.

It's been an unfortunate tournament for us. If we had a proper starting GK, had no ref cockups, and a slight injury for Samaras (:D), everything would be so different now.

If we have another disallowed goal...

So, what about the disallowed goal? Was it onside?

We had really great seats, almost at the halfway line, but usually even from there you "sense" if there was an offside or not. For all the FKs I was certain the Greek player was offside, but for that goal I was very surprised.

Anyway, it was great seeing the match, especially sitting in 15th row as I could see some legendary players for me like Rosicki, Baros, Cech or Karagounis.

The stadium was dominated by Czech fans and the Poles, as myself were also mostly supporting our neighbours, but the small Greek contingent impressed me very much - they were making a lot of noise whenever the stadium went quiet. Must have been some really dedicated fans there. What I liked about the atmosphere was that Polish fans did not start (like they did in Gdansk at ITA-SPA) chant songs about Poland. I was in Hannover in 2006 (Poland- Costa Rica) and I hated the Germans singing about their team at our game. Obviously this was also down to the fact that about 40-50% of spectators were Czechs.

This will be hot Saturday in Wroclaw, I am sure a lot more Czech fans will come here and ofc there will be more Polish fans around the city. The atmosphere will be a bit different for obvious reasons. I regret not being able to get the tickets so much :(

Archived