Here we go...

City2000

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 11

Mid season Update 2021/22

torinobadge1.jpg

As we enter the winter break I can't complain with the way things have been going so far, our league form has been pretty good, at home we have been very strong while our away form has been somewhat patchy losing 4 games. Have to be happy to be in 4th position at this stage although only 3 points seperate 4th - 8th place. I'm not convinced our squad has the depth to finish as high as we are now but hopefully we will challenge for a Europa League spot at the very least.

In the Europa league we were very nearly dumped out in the qualifying round by Dinamo Bucharest, we won 1-0 away in the first leg before needing a 93rd minute goal in the second leg to avoid going out on away goals. In the group stages we qualified for the latter stages despite losing at PSV and Hearts, a big 3-2 home wiin over PSV was the crucial result that saw us finish runners up in our group. Shakhtar up next followed by Besiktas or Ajax if we get through that game.

Domestic Fixtures

tordom.jpg

European Fixtures

toreur.jpg

Group Table

Serie A Table

seriea21mid.jpg

Key Performers

Iban Galan - My summer signing has done a cracking job so far, looking every part the clinical striker I thought I was getting. 18 goals in all comps including 7 league goals, has developed into my main man.

Michele Marconi - Great effort from the veteran of my squad, benefitting from the poor form of Martins he has notched 10 goals so far.

Emanuel Nikolaou - Really good return of 12 assists from my free transfer AMC.

Next

Whilst i'm pleased with our progress so far we need to add some depth to the squad to maintain our current league position, whether we can do that in the upcoming January transfer window i'm not sure but i'll definetly be looking to add to the squad if I can.

Going good so far. Just need to solidify that Champions League spot :).

Thanks, thats the aim although will need to strengthen the squad a bit during January.

Decent start at the club. Quite close with the chasing pack behind you though so can't afford many slip ups.

Look at Milan though, how the mighty have fallen.

Yes it is very close, one bad run and it could still be a disappointing first season.

Not the first time they have struggled, as this shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981%E2%80%9382_Serie_A

Milan have generally been turning into an average side for a few years now on my save. When I first started out at Twente they signed two poor (for Serie A level) strikers from me, they have do have some decent youngsters playing now but the fact that my scouts tell me they would join me tells me that they have fallen.

Very tight top half there! Hopefully you can hold on to fourth place :)

Very tight indeed, will be a battle in the second half of the season I reckon!

Roma seem to be running away with it, but Champions League football definitely looks like it is on the cards!

Nikolaou looks to be the future of your squad, and deservedly so!

Yes, Roma have been very good so far and gave me a thrashing at the start of the season.

Nikolaou looks promising for sure, originally I just signed him to be a backup but couldn't bring anyone else in so he got the starting job and he has cemented his place now.

Good luck against Shaktar in the Champions League!

Thanks although i'm not quite in the Champions League yet, hopefully next season!

That's a good start in the league.

Thanks, hope I can keep it going.

Looking good so far,good luck against Shakhtar in the Europa League :thup:

Thanks, should be a test as they do have a good squad but I fancy my chances.

January Transfer Window Update - 2021/22

In

Radim Novak - Aston Villa - £3.7m - Only became aware of Novak after Villa offered him out after he handed in a transfer request. Had to see off a number of other clubs to get him and at just 19 has plenty of time to develop into the 4.5* poacher my scouts see him as.

Nicolaj Nissen - FC Kobenhavn - £2.4m - Have brought Nissen in because of his age and potential (4*) but mainly because of his versatility. The sort of player I love to have on my bench.

Future Bosmans In

Didier Ndikumana - Man City - Looks a quality striker who hasn't played many games at Man City. On a free transfer it was a gimme.

Thiaguinho - At. Malagueno - Another striker, this time with 4.5* potential.

Out

Martins - £11m - Napoli - When I joined in the summer Martins was by far my highest valued player and the one I thought I would pin my hopes on but with just 2 goals in 16 starts and his value dropping quickly I decided to cash in now. In Galan, Novak and Marconi I have three more than capable strikers plus a couple of ok backups should I need them. Also, with the bosman signings I have secured for next season I felt Martins may drop further down the pecking order by the start of next season.

Novak looks like he'll be immense.

He does look promising, was a little surprised to see Villa not really using him very much but i'm not complaining as thats why I have him!

Thiaguinho still needs some development, but he's young and with the right coaching could become a dominant player.

He does, i'm not sure whether he will reach his potential with me or not as he probably won't get a huge amount of games but he looks a nice addition to the squad, particularly on a free.

Quite suprised Martins wasn't performing. Looked a very good prospect. At least with the money you have managed to find decent replacements.

Yes, I think it was mainly down to me not liking to play with Target Men too much and after a few games I changed back to my usual Poacher/Advanced Forward roles up front and he never really performed in either. I also tried him a few games in AMC but in the end just decided to ship him out.

redcards.jpg

This is an odd one, I normally average around 3-5 red cards over a whole season but here we are just past the halfway stage in the season and I have 10 red cards already, 8 in the League and 2 in Europe. I'm using exactly the same tactics as I have done for most of my 10 previous seasons but i'm seeing a lot more red cards, mostly bad tackles and spread all around the team, I guess it's just one of those seasons.

Novak is a beast, but Im surprised Martins didnt do better!

Thiaguinho also looks like someone to be excited about :)

Lol about the red cards - it could happen I guess, depending on how many players you have getting the Hard Tackling treatment during games.

How is the aggression stat of the players that are getting sent off? If they are quite high put tackling down to easy or something?

All below 8 apart from one player who has a stat of 15. All are on normal tackling aswell so i'm putting it down to one of those things at the moment, anymore though and I might have to think about easy tackling.

That's an impressive amount of red cards! Dirty Torino :D
Don't think Fiorentina will give up top spot for red cards without a fight :D
It's definitely on the cards :D

At least i'm top of one table this season :D

It is pretty impressive, looking forward to playing Fiorentina soon, could be a blood bath!

Novak is a beast, but Im surprised Martins didnt do better!

Thiaguinho also looks like someone to be excited about.

Lol about the red cards - it could happen I guess, depending on how many players you have getting the Hard Tackling treatment during games.

I really like the look of Novak and I think Thiaguinho has something about him aswell, I need someone to take my mind off Mendy so hopefully one of my new boys can step up!

Italian thugs :p.
Dirty dirty Torino!

:D

He did win three Grand Slams last year.

I'll take an unbeaten run like Novak's for sure!

This is turning into a real season of firsts for me, not only am I top of the Red Card table i'm now top of another table......................the injury table :(

Amazingly 9 players have gone off injured in the last 4 games putting me down to the bare bones. Must be something about Serie A and me that doesn't mix!

are all your players on hard tacking

I have two 2 players on Easy and the rest on normal, none on hard tackling. My tactics have barely changed over the last 10 seasons so i'm just putting it down to one of those things at the moment, we'll see what happens next season.

Maybe they all have grass allergy and the diving and rolling around is causing havoc? :D

Not their fault they make late challenges when they can't see properly.

:D I like this reason the most, i'm going with this!

Just read this thread all the way through, great career keep it up, full credit for turning down two big clubs in liverpool and Inter I would have struggled too

Were the Carabinieri called in against Fiorentina?

I think they must have been there as their presence alone meant there were surprisingly no cards shown whatsoever. Fiorentina did however annoy me with a 91st minute equaliser!

I have two 2 players on Easy and the rest on normal, none on hard tackling. My tactics have barely changed over the last 10 seasons so i'm just putting it down to one of those things at the moment, we'll see what happens next season.

it will say next season sent to jail for gbh haha

Season 11

Season Review - 2021/22

torinobadge1.jpg

Even though I felt like I had to leave FC Twente I still had some doubts as I went into my first season in Italy but after a memorable season I can safely say now that I made the correct decision afterall. At the halfway stage we were nicely setup to have a good season but what we achieved in the second half took me by surprise. We were never likely to catch Roma who got out in front early on and never looked under threat but we came out of the blocks after the break with 7 wins, 3 draws and just 1 defeat to sit 2nd. We did suffer from more injuries and suspensions than I have ever experienced in this career so far but even still I was gutted as we looked like we were going to throw away our shot at making the Champions League by picking up just 4 points from the next 6 games to drop down to 6th. At this point our 32 year captain Michele Marconi returned from a 6 week injury and seemed to galvanise the troops as amazingly we went on to win our last 5 league games of the season without conceding a goal to finish 3rd and secure that lucrative Champions League spot. A great effort in my first year in Torino as we secure the clubs highest Serie A finish in 30 years.

Aswell as having a great season in the league our form carried over to both the TIM Cup and the Europa League. Last season before I took over Torino won the TIM Cup to end a 20 year trophy-less drought and before Christmas we came through two qualifying rounds to put in a postition to try and defend it. In the First Round we overcame the reigning Serie A Champions Sampdoria 3-1 before beating Padova to set up a Semi Final with Roma. We stunned them with a 4-1 win at home in the first leg before drawing 1-1 to join Udinese in the Final. The Final was a backs to the wall affair where our clinical finishing saw us over the line in a 3-1 win to claim the TIM Cup for the second year in a row.

We didn't really have any problems in the Europa League until the Semi Final's as we cruised past Shakhtar (6-2), Ajax (5-1) and Anji (4-0). In those Semi's we met our Italian friends Inter away in the first leg where thanks to Iban Galan we scored twice in the first 15 minutes to shock the hosts, we parked the bus for the rest of the whole tie coming through 3-1 on aggregate. In the Final we met Werder Bremen, it was always likely to be a tight game and so it proved but again our clinical finishing saw us home with a 2-1 win to lift the Europa League, my first European trophy in this career. This really was a memorable season as we took home a cup double aswell as securing Champions League football.

Domestic Fixtures

toromfix.jpg

Europa League Fixtures

toreur1.jpg

Final League Table

seriea22.jpg

Key Performers

Iban Galan - Great season from my 22 year old Spanish striker who ended with 31 goals, 14 of which came in Serie A.

Michele Marconi - Really good season from my veteran captain When he was came back from injury towards the end of the season he really inspired the team to it's strong finish. Ended with 21 goals in all comps but at 33 i'm not sure yet where his future lies although whatever happens this was a great year for him.

Mansour Dieng - My key Centre Half, had a good season playing in 59 games.

Rachid Zerrouki - My Keeper lived upto the billing that my scouts gave him proving to be crucial as he played over 60 games during the season.

Next

Well, after this season my plans are to try and remove the deadwood and look to bring in more quality to add depth to the squad. Despite our successes this season I was concerned with the depth of the squad during our injury and suspension crisis having to delve into the youth team at times so I will be looking to bring in a number of new faces to fill out the squad.

Career Overview

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions
2017-18    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL L16
2018-19    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, UCL Quarter Finalists
2019-20    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists
2020-21    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists, Left Club (resigned)
2021-22    Torino             Serie A TIM                                 3rd           Europa League Winners, TIM Cup Winners

International

Season            Nation                      Competition                     Position                 Achievements

2016              Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 
2018-2019         Turkey                      Euro 2020 Qualifiers            4th                      Sacked

Not a bad season at all.

Top work City!

Fantastic Europa run, given how tough winning both legs in a tie is.
Brilliant season,congrats on winning the two cups and finishing 3rd in the league.Champions league,here Torino come :D
Fantastic season mate!!
Hot damn what a season! Fantastic to win the Europa League like that. Well done

PS: Love that you list being sacked by Turkey as an achievement! :D

Two pieces of silverware and CL qualification is a great season.
Amazing success.
Great season.

Thanks all :)

Great spot Pangaea :D I should probably change that!

World Cup 2022

wc22.jpg

wc221.jpg

wc222.jpg

wc223.jpg

A few notes of interest from this World Cup

• Brazil, Argentina and Portugal all failing to get out of their groups
  • Host nation Qatar getting zero points
  • Spain and Italy only nations to get maximum points from group stage
  • Two teams fail to qualify with 6 points (Honduras and Austria)
  • Spain's shock 2nd Round exit to USA
  • Holland getting hammered by Egypt in 2nd Round
  • England managing to win a penalty shoot out, in a semi final against Germany no less!!
  • Mexico's great run to win their first ever World Cup
  • The Mexican FA clearly not being impressed by that and sacking their manager for their "awful recent performances"!

Archived