dafuge's FM11 challenge

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, what the ****!!! Just had a crash dump and lost a load of pre-season transfers!

Phew, it wasn't as bad as I first feared as a lot of the the transfers are in negotiation. Still lost a load of scouting info though.

Good to hear you didn't lose as much as first feared, still any data lost is a bad thing with this game! Trying to remember all the details etc, or just having to go through all the motions again...

Seems to be a lot of crash dumps with this years release, although I've not had one myself yet. Anyone aware of any particular reason for these, or is it unknown / unconnected events ??

My first League 1 Season is going well, currently sitting second midway through October! Also had an amazing result in the League Cup, beating Chelsea 2-0 at home! Sadly in the next round I was defeated 4-0 by Man City, but we can forget about that one! Jake Cassidy though is a player I can only reccomend, scored 12 goals in 9 games so far, doing phenomenally

In general, I reckon you're gonna be less likely to post updates if you haven't done well. So there's probably a lot of strugglers out there who aren't posting :p

A couple of tips, if you don't mind:

1. Sign loads of players. A squad size of around 30 players is essential for me in the first few seasons. You need two in every position purely because of fitness, and another 7 or 8 to cover injuries. Further, it's difficult to tell at such a low level which players will be good, so get plenty in and you can afford to discard a few. Also, players handle the media and pressure differently. With a squad of 30, it doesn't matter if you have a couple who buckle under the pressure - just drop them. :)

I actually disagree with this. You should have a few at least usable players already on your squad at the start. You should be able to get a decent scout(s), and not all players attributes are 100% hidden so you can do a bit(see: A LOT) of weeding out yourself to try and find players to fit your scheme. Like if you use a poacher forward you can just go to the free agent screen and do a search for something like At Least 13 pace. Then you scout those guys and see who has a higher finishing attribute and sign one or two of those guys. And just find a few more important attributes for your other players. Remember it is your job to put your players in a position to succeed, and your job to find players that fit your system. The first few seasons are just a complete grind. Now go out, attack the league full bore, and get that promotion you deserve.

520px-FCUM_logosvg.png

FC United of Manchester

Season 5 - 2015/16 – Championship

Preseason - Media Prediction: 21st

Reaching The Promised Land

Club Info

We’re not predicted too well this season. 21st in fact. Didn’t stop me from trying to overachieve though. The board wanted to avoid relegation, and I went for mid-table.

The Season

Quite a successful season. Didn’t start off particularly well, but the squad gelled perfectly. Andy Carroll and Carlton Cole were utter beasts up front. Great FA Cup run. The only downsides were our League Cup run and finances.

FA Cup

FA Cup 3rd Round | FA Cup 4th Round | FA Cup 5th Round

FA Cup 6th Round | FA Cup 6th Round Replay | FA Cup Semi Final

FA Cup Final

The League

Playoff Semi Final (1) | Playoff Semi Final (2)

Playoff Final

Championship Table | Position Graph

Transfers | Squad

Confidence | Finances

League Awards

Championship Manager of the Year

Jordan Swinburn

FC United Awards

Fan's Player of the Year

Andy Carroll

Top Scorer

Andy Carroll

29 goals in 51 games. The winner of Carroll v Cole. Absolutely instrumental in our promotion. He quickly became a fan favourite and scored some very, very important goals. Pretty much the star of the show.

The Jordan Swinburn Award (The Surprise of the Season award)

Getting to the FA Cup final and only losing on pens.

The Millward Player Choice Award (Manager's Player of the Year)

Andy Carroll

See above.

Goal of the Season (Decided by Midgetram)

3rdUriarte v Newcastle

2ndFabio v Norwich

1stCohen v Newcastle

Next Season

Once again, stay up and attempt to overachieve. Bring some good guys in and strengthen for another European run. Main priority is to get Uriarte in permanently.

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12         Blue Square North         4th           Promoted – Playoffs
2012/13         Blue Square Premier       5th           Promoted – Playoffs
2013/14         League 2                  1st           Promoted – Champions/FA Cup Winners
2014/15         League 1                  3rd           Promoted – Playoffs
2015/16         Championship              4th           Promoted – Playoffs

At 40-1 to win the title, the bookies didnt think we had a shot.

Not a very good season and im not 100% sure why. Oh well back to the drawing board and lets see what we can do for next season.

Only decent thing to happen all season really was a

League Table

League Position

FA Cup - Really tough game against BSP Corby in the first round then an easy win at home to Macclesfield which the team really needed. Going into the third round we got lucky and drew BSP Tamworth, Only to go down 0-2 :(

League Cup - Did pretty well here I thought, until we drew Stoke and didn't even get the luxury of a home game. I thought we played excellently against a solid Premier League team

Johnstone's Paint Tropy - Bad Bad Bad

Squad - From early the next season so Chitti and Kamasz are gone.

Transfers - Picked up Ryan Chitti from Corby and Dimitri Kamasz pretty cheap and they were insanely good. Dunno what going going on and Tottenham offered me insane money for them both, which I coudln't turn down.Also Signed another Romanian to help score goals

Key Player Profiles

Simon Locke - Started to let in a few this season. He won't be here next season

Mattia Bertelli - Getting better. Will be the first alternate of the strikers, depending on what formation I play

Danny Duncan - Excellent as always and I'm currently telling everyone to get lost as he is mine :)

Mircea Bacila - Still great and helping my Romanians learn English. Somehow I have 4 of them now lol!

Lucas - Doing pretty well. Learnt Basic English and seems to score more goals now. Maybe he is better at sledging the keeper?

Career Overview

Season    Team                          Country            League               League Finish     Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South      14th                    nil 
2012/13    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South      13th              FA Trophy Win
2013/14    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South       1st              Promotion to BSP
2014/15    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet Premier     2nd              Promotion to League 2
2015/16    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 2             9th               JP Trophy Winner
2016/17    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 2             3rd               JP Trophy Winner/Promotion to League 1
2017/18    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 1             6th                 Playoff Semi Final Loss
2018/19    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 1             13th                  nil

Still no Stadium upgrade and as you can see, we really need it.

Apparently the board tried to expand the stadium last season without me asking and it was denied by the stupid Croydon council. WHO DO I HAVE TO PAY OFF AROUND HERE????

Look what lowly team got into the BSS

Next Season

As I'm writing this I am already 5 games into the new season. I was tired and grumpy last night and didnt want to do it after a bad bad season.

I have got some new players in and sold the 2 big namers, but they were only here for 6 months anyway.

I want to have a shot at promotion this season and try and win either the JPT again or get high in the FA Cup.

We REALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY need a new stadium. Have played 4 regular season games so far this season and sold every seat at all of them so far :\

I'm playing now (I finished playing) and everything is difficult. Dolinajec is the better team but the team lost two and won one, we're at 16, the four positions of relegation. But since I came to be in 20th place.

Breno, It's nice to have a Brazilian fellow-mamanger. I don't know what Dominajec is. Is it Michal Dolinajec?

I thought maybe it was a translation. In China (where I live) there are real problems with translating foreign names, because the sounds don't really exist here. For instance Hednesford (my club) would be 赫德内斯福德 which you'd pronounce Hè dé nèi sī fú dé.

We love you Hè dé nèi sī fú dé, we do. (popular song sung on football terraces in the UK)

I think I'll stick to English.

Breno (still). Have you ever taken a club from the bottom to the top in the Brazilian leagues. It's really tough, because there are about a hundred clubs in the third tier, and only 4 of them get promoted. I did it, but only because I started off with the biggest reputation club in the third tier, and it still took me 3 years because the 16 group winners and runners up go into a cup, and only the semi-finalists get promoted. Doing it with a newly promoted team, as with this challenge, would be a nightmare.

Don't give up. You won't miss the beautiful women, steak, sunshine, carnivals, sexy dancers, wonderful scenery and coffee forever.

You asked in the bugs section?

Haha didn't even think about it. Been too busy playing this and moving house.

I just got here and the internet that has been connected here is 18mbit adsl and its always been painfully slow. I ****ed about with it all day and couldnt work out wtf was wrong with it.

There was no filter on the cable tv box line. DONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

full speed again now :D can upload full res pics etc. woohoo

CityAndColour - Nathan Rooney is indeed awesome at lower levels.

He's a gem - changed his role to a box to box midfielder on support setting and he's been superb. His ratings are probably good enough for L2, although poor physicals may prevent him having an impact any higher up. Still, he's only 20 and I have him on a full time contract, so there's room for improvement. Plus an influence rating of 16 tends to mean when he plays well, the team follows.

Also seems to score quite a few belters from range.

The team has played seven games in Blue Square South. I play very slowly, so the delay (half hour is a game). So far my performance is 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses, and I'm in 12th place. The team will face Lewes, companion split in the FA Cup My greatest challenge is to increase team morale, and Michal Dolinajec been playing well and can help the team. We have suffered eight goals and nine goals. We can still improve.

I actually disagree with this. You should have a few at least usable players already on your squad at the start. You should be able to get a decent scout(s), and not all players attributes are 100% hidden so you can do a bit(see: A LOT) of weeding out yourself to try and find players to fit your scheme. Like if you use a poacher forward you can just go to the free agent screen and do a search for something like At Least 13 pace. Then you scout those guys and see who has a higher finishing attribute and sign one or two of those guys. And just find a few more important attributes for your other players. Remember it is your job to put your players in a position to succeed, and your job to find players that fit your system. The first few seasons are just a complete grind. Now go out, attack the league full bore, and get that promotion you deserve.

I wasn't suggesting to disregard attributes, of course they're the most important thing in a player (although I wouldn't be looking for pace in a Poacher too much). But the lower the player's ability, the more a hidden stat is going to hinder them. Or it maybe not even a hidden stat - you may just handle a private chat or press conference badly. And secondly, the majority of people are used to playing with top teams - particularly people who are new to the challenge, such as the person I was advising. When you're used to looking at players with 16+ everywhere, it can make it harder to differentiate between good and bad players in the lower leagues.

Last game of the season as Truro, 2nd in the Blue Square Premier, 3 points behind leaders Bournemouth. I gain a 4-2 victory, but they manage a 2-1 win over Macclesfield, so it's the play-offs for me. 2nd time in 3 seasons.

If it was any other season, I'd have gone up. Bournemouth finished with 100 points. 97 for me.

CityAndColour - Worksop Town - 2012/13 - Blue Square North

Final position: 1st

Probably the most dominant season I've had on any version of the game. After making really only two changes to my tactic - changing the team's philosophy to 'fluid' and changing a central midfielder from a DLP to a B2B - we played some stunning football. Kicking off the season with a 5-0 win at Bury Town, we won 23 of our first 30 games to open up an unassailable lead, and despite the usual dip in form when trying to officially clinch the title, we still won 30 of our 42 league games.

The football itself was just outstanding. Slick passing, incisive runs and lethal final balls delivered plenty of goals, while dominance in the middle of the park meant my defence was not left with a lot of work. Most goals I conceded came from corners or free-kicks from wide areas.

Lost in the FA Cup fourth round of qualifying to Chesterfield, while lost in the fourth round of the FA Trophy to Histon.

I was named Manager of the Season.

Key players

Bally Smart / Jeffrey Monakana

Absolute dominance from my two first-choice wingers. Smart notched up 20 assists to lead the league, while Monakana ran a close second with 17, also throwing in 12 goals, 11 MOTM awards and the league's best average rating. Far too good for this level and they toyed with most defences.

Monakana also won the league Player of the Season award.

Thomas Gregg Lopes da Silva / Rene Howe / Gary O'Shea

Lopes da Silva is just a natural goal-scorer. He doesn't really create, he doesn't really get involved in the build-up play, but he is always in the right place at the right time. Played a lot of his football off the bench but still repeated his performance as top scorer.

Howe played the deeper role and still had a very good season with eight assists to go with his 16 goals. O'Shea also scored 13 with 10 assists, as all three strikers had good campaigns.

Craig Campbell / Derek Niven

Campbell, picked up after being released by Ipswich, slowly worked his way into the first team until he was a fixture at the end, as Rooney tapered off. Seven goals a great return as well, while my skipper Niven was very consistent, despite picking up a lot of bookings.

Patrick Ada / Adrian Manchester / Jake Bidwell

Ada and Manchester formed a very good central pairing, while former Everton junior Bidwell was better than his rating suggests at left-back. The first season on FM11 I've been able to get any sort of defensive consistency, although dominating possession so much probably had a lot to do with that.

-----

2011-12 - Worksop Town - 9th - Blue Square South - No achievements

2012/13 - Worksop Town - 1st - Blue Square South - Champions

-----

I'm not sure whether the fluid approach worked just because I had the best squad in the division, and may falter in the BSP, but there's only one way to find out. Monakana and Smart should continue to play well at the next level, and my strikers and midfield are certainly good enough, so it will probably just be a case of keeping what I've got and adding a couple more defenders. If I can start well I don't think a play-off spot is out of the question.

Gilles Sunu was signed right at the end of the season, which gives me four good strikers and another option down the right.

Sitting third in the Premiership. Easy, easy, easy!

...ok, so it's only after one game, but it was a good 2-0 win over Burnley. The small issue of travelling to Man Utd up next!

Enjoy it, it doesn't last. I'm currently sitting in 19th place, albeit a game behind, on 9 points... despite drawing the first game against Liverpool 2-2 and the next game against Arsenal 0-0. Other than my other draw to Fulham (which was an incredible comeback from 2-0 down), I've lost every other game since my last two. 2-1 against West Ham and 4-1 against Aston Villa (Keirrison was AWESOME)

In Europe however, it's not so bad. Lost the first game 2-1 to Rubin, beat Trabzonspor and Vit. Setubal 2-1 and just drew 1-1 with Vit. Setubal. Sitting quite nicely in 2nd place with 7 points.

Enjoy it, it doesn't last. I'm currently sitting in 19th place, albeit a game behind, on 9 points... despite drawing the first game against Liverpool 2-2 and the next game against Arsenal 0-0. Other than my other draw to Fulham (which was an incredible comeback from 2-0 down), I've lost every other game since my last two. 2-1 against West Ham and 4-1 against Aston Villa (Keirrison was AWESOME)

In Europe however, it's not so bad. Lost the first game 2-1 to Rubin, beat Trabzonspor and Vit. Setubal 2-1 and just drew 1-1 with Vit. Setubal. Sitting quite nicely in 2nd place with 7 points.

Well I lost 4-1 to Man Utd, then drew 1-1 with Fulham, lost 2-0 to Arsenal and beat Everton 4-2. The only disappointing performance so far is the latter part of the Man U game, so it's not looking too bad. But I think the second half of the season will be the real challenge once injuries and suspensions begin to pile up.

Well I lost 4-1 to Man Utd, then drew 1-1 with Fulham, lost 2-0 to Arsenal and beat Everton 4-2. The only disappointing performance so far is the latter part of the Man U game, so it's not looking too bad. But I think the second half of the season will be the real challenge once injuries and suspensions begin to pile up.

I've slipped into 18th after losing 3-1 to Everton. Bad times.

Archived