dafuge's FM11 challenge

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had my 100th game in management. A come from behind home draw with Staines. Not the greatest I know. But it did win us the Blue Square South with 3 games to go!! BSP here we come. Full update when I've finished the season. Probably tomorrow.

I've decided to join you guys! I actually took part in last year's challenge with Merthyr Tydfil, although I stopped posting my progress out of laziness. Will try not to do so next time! Now off to find a club... who are the recommendations this year? FC United?

Quavis must have been sacked :D:D

Close LOL! Why is it that nice long holiday weekends with days off never seem to go as planned??? I played a total of 5 games on my save all during my entire time off :(

Currently reading through the 4 pages of stuff I've missed. Comments to come soon.

I've decided to join you guys! I actually took part in last year's challenge with Merthyr Tydfil, although I stopped posting my progress out of laziness. Will try not to do so next time! Now off to find a club... who are the recommendations this year? FC United?

Welcome and good luck! :D

Did you complete it last year?

Just go with whichever team your heart belongs to.... ahh, how romantic :o

Or if you fancy a challenge, one of the low rep teams such as Leamington or Croydon will make it more difficult for the first few seasons.

Welcome and good luck! :D

Did you complete it last year?

Just go with whichever team your heart belongs to.... ahh, how romantic :o

Or if you fancy a challenge, one of the low rep teams such as Leamington or Croydon will make it more difficult for the first few seasons.

Thanks! I'd love to say I managed it - I had a blast, but ran out of time. Got to League One after back-to-back BSP and L2 wins. Was particularly proud of winning BSP despite 15 point administration deduction :)

Anyway, I'm sure you don't care about my mediocre achievements! I'm thinking Hednesford look quite good - it really depends who gets promoted, last year I didn't bother reloading and decided on Merthyr because I liked their name!

I'm thinking Hednesford look quite good - it really depends who gets promoted, last year I didn't bother reloading and decided on Merthyr because I liked their name!

Haha - it does sound like a Lord of the Rings place or something. Just don't sign players for similar reasons :p

jordanswinburn: Wow great signings. How many England starters you got now? Carroll, Henderson, Wilshere, Cahill... any more? :\

Funnily enough, Carroll plays for Scotland. The only one currently playing for England is Tom Huddlestone. Other Englishmen I have are Green, Richards, Cahill, Henderson, McEachran and Wilshere. I could have Lee Cattermole coming in too, who is currently in the England squad.

On another note, this popped up in my inbox...

tumblr_lcrp2vJtgQ1qd29w0o1_400.png

They're taking the **** now, surely!

Page 28 comments:

Terk: Great first season in League 2! If only you could have kept that nice little run going for the last 10 games... Boo @ loan players! Liam Moore looks great, but needs some individual training to bring up his pace! No idea how you guys can stand slow players on the wings!

Naylinsky: Don't worry about getting behind everyone. As long as you're enjoying the challenge that is all that really matters! It looks like you are off to a great start! Don't worry about the board/fans, they always find something to whine about. Thanks for the update!

Gypsum: Rather have a team of late winners than late losers (my last years team! :p)

writches: LOL @ the 25% wage increase thing. I don't mind the promotion wage increase one (partially because I've yet to trigger it :p), as its the only wage increases my players get! I always cut the yearly raises out of any contract they ask for! It does look like the 25% promotion increase is negotiable this year though (was board locked last year). I might have to try being even cheaper and cutting that down as well!

deadfncat: Good solid season in League 2. I'm glad I'm not the only one to classify anyone who doesn't want to be at the club, wants a raise, ect, as "whiny players" :) Congrats on the JPT win!

Ridleys: Congrats on promotion! I'm starting to hate all of you that have Borini! That playoff run gave you quite the financial boost! Congrats on turning Pro!

PV: That's still a great solid season in L1 after 3 back to back promotions. Eventually the squad will hit a wall and need some time to rebuild :)

deadfncat: Didn't I just see your last season post less than a page ago? I don't know how some of you fly through the seasons so fast :p Stop and watch some of your games for a change! Congrats on Promotion and winning the JPT trophy again! Also, 17 pre-season games o.O That is like half a season in and of itself. All in 90 minutes? Are you just siming the whole thing?

Welsh Wizard: Congrats on promotion again as champions and the Carling Cup. Is this even a challenge for you? Congrats on the stadium expansion! Its good to see that they are taking competition stadium requirements into consideration now. No more 4000 seat stadiums in the EPL :p

edgar555: 6th is a great result for season 1! Romone Rose was a star for me a couple years ago. Great to see his name come up again in this challenge. Congrats also on manager of the year!

<end Page 28 comments>

Starting my game at my hometown Hastings United :)

After taking the job, I instantly ask to pimp the club out to some massive club somewhere up north, Dave Walters slaps me on the wrist and tells me to get out of his office. So much for that, time to clear out the dead weight in the dressing room and get some decent players in.

Welsh Wizard: Congrats on promotion again as champions and the Carling Cup. Is this even a challenge for you? Congrats on the stadium expansion! Its good to see that they are taking competition stadium requirements into consideration now. No more 4000 seat stadiums in the EPL :p

Hopefully the challenge begins now in Euro tbh. Got to get in Champions league first :) Very unlucky to miss out on making the Champions league last season (Which you will see) thanks to Arsenal winning it.

Nice to see the stadium requirements but goes back on it self when you use the same Stadium with even less seats. Just over 200 is just crazy in the Prem.

edgar555[/b]: 6th is a great result for season 1! Romone Rose was a star for me a couple years ago. Great to see his name come up again in this challenge. Congrats also on manager of the year!

Thanks. As you may have now seen season 2 went even better. Rose again played a key role, I'm glad someone else has had the pleasure of managing him :thup:

Page 29 comments:

Welsh Wizard: 21m in the red???? o.O At what point does administration kick in? I would have through you would be well past that point atm. Hopefully those extra 10k seats will help you balance the books.

Terk: You are nuts! Attacking football is great, but I can't get promoted without parking the bus :p I cant wait to see how this move worked out for you (assuming your probably at least a season further at this point) :)

wriches: I actually like the 3d tv view in this version. It feels more realistic that ever before for me. I've actually slowed my games down from Key highlights only to extended just to see more of the game (which is probably why I'm way behind :p .)

CityandColour: You know you spelled your name incorrectly right? It is definitely supposed to be Color :p Good solid start in your first season. Good luck for next season!

deadfncat: Congrats on doing so well in your first season in League 1. Play-offs are an evil thing to be avoided at all costs!

vikeologist: Congrats on the league/cup double. You put way too much stock in the manager of the year award :p

The_shocker7: so close :( I'm surprised Bagshaw is still so good for you in league 1. I just cant handle his 9 pace.

heat02: Solid Season. Your in/outs looks just like mine this year! John Coar looks like he could be an interesting player. The 18 pace is quite appealing too me, although with only 6 natural fitness it might all be wasted :( Always nice to see players turning down higher level clubs to sign for you though!

jaffa: Ouch 5th to 12th in 4 games :( Your team is like mine, they don't seem to think the final games of the season are important.... Still a good solid season in League 1 to build on.

Gypsum: Premier League? pffft *ignored!* j/k. Congrats! I'm sure your end of season update is in there somewhere, I just haven't gotten to it yet :p

darren1983: You were quite close! That second half turnaround was phenomenal anyways! If you can just start the season well next year you should be set!

Gypsum: pfft and you finished Top of the table to boot! Nice 11k average stadium! Hows it working out for you monetarily? I like the 1m out in transfers too.

deadfncat: Nice transfers out! That should help your finances at least.

_Shift and Fitzay: Welcome to the challenge!

CityandColour: Wow, what a season. 97 points! Congrats on promotion!

MikaelS: Good to see you pop in! I'm glad you are doing better with Chippenham than I am!

<end page 29! comments>

th_badge-2.png?t=1290460766

Kingstonian - Blue Square Premier - 2012/2013

Transfers

Players coming in were mostly to improve the squad, I have yet to pay a transfer fee for any player. Most of the youth squad released

Position Graph

All in all, a good season. We were in and around the playoff zone all season but Champions Grimsby condemned us to 6th place on the final day of the League season and to rub salt into the wound, beat us in the FA Trophy final. Something to build on for next season

League One side Brighton proved too strong in the replay

FA Trophy

So near, yet so far. A great day out at Wembley though

Squad

MacLean - We managed to score a lot more this season and MacLean was a constant threat

Norwood - By far our best player but was out injured for four months and struggled for fitness

Finances - Quite healthy

Best XI - MacLean misses out

Overall XI - Can't say I agree with that at all. Strange choices

[left][b]Season      Division              Position     Achievements[/b][/left]

[left]2011/12     Blue Square South       2nd     Promoted via Playoffs
2012/13     Blue Square Premier     6th     FA Trophy Finalists[/left]

Page 28 comments:

deadfncat: Didn't I just see your last season post less than a page ago? I don't know how some of you fly through the seasons so fast :p Stop and watch some of your games for a change! Congrats on Promotion and winning the JPT trophy again! Also, 17 pre-season games o.O That is like half a season in and of itself. All in 90 minutes? Are you just siming the whole thing?

<end Page 28 comments>

Yeh too much time on my hands :p My manager takes over all of the friendlies too

Page 30 comments:

vikeologist: Congrats on promotion! I always also try to renew contracts right after the season ends but before jun 25th. They always demand more right after you get promoted :( The downside is that even players you just renewed 10 days ago will sometimes get greedy and want a new contract once your up. At least with the renewal signed, you aren't totally screwed when you can't/won't pay the increased fee!

As far as your advice, I agree with the "high" bonuses. No downsides there and they give some players "PR" throughout most of the season! It was interesting that you meantion the Team of the season bonus. I hadn't realized this didn't actually exist in the lower leagues. I tend to cut this in half anyways, but I'm a penny pincher in FM :p I think scouts are usually pretty decent with JA/JP as long as you have good scouts. Most of the players that we sign wont reach that potential, but that is mostly because we have crappy training facilities and coaches.

deadfncat: You're going to be in season 2075 by the time I make it out of the BSS lol. I feel for you on the lack of stadium expansion. The planning commissions are evil. You would think they would want to make loads of money selling you construction permits.

Mitsuko: Congrats on reaching the JPT final at least!

jaffa: If you haven't already got it sorted.... that skin looks more like the steam skin than the FM2011 dark skin. Make sure you unticked "Use Skin cache" and ticked "Reload skin on confirm" to force it to reload the skin. Then you can switch those two options back.

Welsh Wizard: 4th in the Prem on the first shot and the FA cup to boot! 72m in transfers in o.O. That has got to hit the finances pretty good over the next 4 years lol. 20m in players out is quite nice though, and it looks like you have an extremely cozy balance to sit on.

Gavrenwich: Welcome!

SRE: Keep the faith! You can do it!

Gypsum: Solid first season in the EPL! 20m in the red even with your shiny new stadium?

deadfncat: It is not the end of the world. You are still miles ahead of some of us. you are also probably already re-promoted as you fly through the seasons so darn fast :p I'm slightly amused that you are ground sharing with yourself while the new stadium is built???

Gypsum: That sounds like Man City's current strategy :p o.O THE Wayne Rooney? or a regen named Wayne Rooney??? need a SS of his current stats!

<end page 30 comments> o.O I'm almost caught up!

Mitsuko You can do it! Just buy the players nice things and they will win for you

I am 4 games into my season back in the L1. 4/4 :D all solid wins too. I had the worst goal scoring in the league while I was in the Championship, So I have picked up 2 new strikers and renewed the contract of 2 wingers. Dumped my Swedish hot prospect striker as he was going nowhere.

R3 of the Carling Cup coming up against Tottenham :\

Agreed, AOF were here a few months ago and released some cool australian tracks :D

In my game I won my first 4 games easily. Then next two games I let 11 goals in :| I scored 9, but not enough for wins :\ Dunno whats going on with my fkn defence

Just had the most amazing 2-1 victory!!!

We were playing at home to Crewe, both of us battling for promotion in League 2 with 12 games remaining.

For some reason, we've been poor at home but amazing away from home this season. We go 1-0 down in the 13th minute, and we just can't get going for the rest of the match. Nothing is coming off, we're just taking pot shots all game.

Then, in the 77th minute, out of sheer desperation, I switch to 3-2-5 and bring on an 18-year-old striker who looks promising, but has never been given a real chance, with no starts all season..

The young striker then pops up with 2 late goals, in minutes 85 and 90+2.

Yes please! :D I'll take that over an 8-0 all day. Promotion is back on!

EDIT: Now that the FM high is going, I realise this probably doesn't look at all exciting to the rest of you. :D

Page 30 comments:

vikeologist: I think scouts are usually pretty decent with JA/JP as long as you have good scouts. Most of the players that we sign wont reach that potential, but that is mostly because we have crappy training facilities and coaches.

The same scouts (with decent JA/JP) will dramatically revise their opinions of a players ability after just a few months. Maybe it is tied to your own club's reputation, strength in that position or whatever, but when a scout says that a player could become a Championship player, I think there are times when they are massively overestimating the player's potential. Rescout some players from your shortlist, with the same scouts, and you'll see what I mean. Or maybe my scouts are just indecisive old buggers.

[quote name=deadfncat;6213186

I am 4 games into my season back in the L1. 4/4 :D all solid wins too. I had the worst goal scoring in the league while I was in the Championship' date=' So I have picked up 2 new strikers and renewed the contract of 2 wingers. Dumped my Swedish hot prospect striker as he was going nowhere.

R3 of the Carling Cup coming up against Tottenham :\[/quote]

So glad you didn't get sacked. I thought if getting relegated didn't do for you, being on holiday while it happened may have been viewed unfavourably, but I imagine it's a good job you've started strong.

Wow, I really hate my team.

We just conceded a penalty. Our keeper tipped the penalty onto the crossbar, and when the ball fell back down inside the box a different player following up the rebound conceded another penalty. Ridiculous.

Oh, and with those two quickest penalties ever, they've thrown away our promotion hopes. Kewl!

EDIT: I was consigned to defeat too early.... our keeper saved the second penalty! Ridiculous indeed.

Well, I'm getting in on the action this year!. I just holidayed, but for some reason it didn't stop on June 25th and just kept going. Time to try again...

You don't need to go on holiday for the whole year again. The game will have autosaved some time in June, and you can then make siure it stops on June 25th by clicking 'browse'.. The game will next stop at about July 1st. I don't think it's against the challenge to start from July 1st when it stops, but you can make it stop the 26th.

You don't need to go on holiday for the whole year again. The game will have autosaved some time in June, and you can then make siure it stops on June 25th by clicking 'browse'.. The game will next stop at about July 1st. I don't think it's against the challenge to start from July 1st when it stops, but you can make it stop the 26th.

It didn't save for some damn reason, so I just holidayed again.

I would have gone with it, but I didn't notice it hadn't stopped till something like July 14- holiday is almost over now!!!

By the way, I have a shortlist of clubs I wanted by going through all of the possible clubs on Wikipedia- I kept tabs open of the ones that I think had the best logos/kits, so hopefully I get one of my choices!!

So glad you didn't get sacked. I thought if getting relegated didn't do for you, being on holiday while it happened may have been viewed unfavourably, but I imagine it's a good job you've started strong.

It actually wasnt too bad. My job was Insecure going into the holiday, but I asked for more time and said the after all i have done for the club etc. after that it went back up and some good pre season friendlies went my way. Check this one out, they played a full strength squad too :\

I have been pretty bad in cups so far this season but fielded mainly U-18 players for the JPT and FA Cup. In the League im running first after 15 games at 10-3-2

:D

So hopefully if all goes well, Promotion to the Championship in time for my new stadium

Wow.....

Ass Manager talked my team up before the game saying we were going to win the league.

Then we lose

5-0

to bottom of the table Plymouth

I suspect that certain people in your club are rather fond of spread betting. How do you think the new stadium is being paid for?

Archived