FM2011 Editor Advanced Rules Activation and Discussion

magicmastermind124

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AaB-ern and Nikolaj: There's a way to do it, but I haven't tried it myself. Basically, you can do what SI did for the English Blue Square Premier, which has 21 teams in one season, and then goes to 22 the next and stays that way. The way they did it was not hard-coding, but from a look at the xml in comps.fmf it seems like you can create the same competition in multiple different versions for different years. So you could create two versions of the second division and the one below: one that is only valid in 2011, and the others take over in 2012. That way you can account for the difference in number of teams and number of promotion/relegation spots. Take a look at the SI files how they did it, because it's not that straight-forward.

Definitely don't use flexible number of teams in the competition. It will eventually screw up (could be many years down the road so holidaying a season or two doesn't help) and you'll end up with no fixtures being generated.

I've not had chance to look at this yet, but im looking at creating a playable J-League, and so far so good, but 1 of the Japanese cups is a little iffy.

There are 18 teams in JL1, 4 teams qualify for the Asian Champ Lg, these 4 teams then dont compete in the Japanese cup, is there a way to stop these 4 being drawn in the cup?

Ideally you would need to set the league fate to qualify for the cup for the teams of the league who haven't qualified for the champ league, but that's not really possible. What you can do instead is modify the cup to pick the bottom 14 teams from the JL1 in the qualified teams tab of the cup, but that assumes that there are no exceptions to who qualifies for the champ league and that the number of teams never changes. To choose the bottom 14 teams, set the qualified teams to "get all teams from competition", set the competition to JL1, set max teams to 14, sort teams by last position, and reverse the sort list. Add any other divisions that enter the cup and then in the cup stage you "get qualified teams for competition" in the teams tab.

@ l.s

Under Stages -> Stage xxx -> League Settings -> Other League State Flags, choose "B/Reserve Teams cannot be promoted" or "If a B team's main club is in a division 2 levels up, don't allow promotion"

@ Nikolaj

So i have to add it to each league? Hoped it were some code i could add in the file to make it for the whole nation. Thanks for the info though! :D

hi. anyone knows how to add a league rule which checks wether or not b-team is located two division beneath first team? as i'm trouble with both a and b teams end up playing on same levels after some season.

It's better to let the game take care of it through built-in logic in the promotion and relegation rules than to look for a b-team two divisions below, because you don't want to disallow the possibility of the two teams playing one division apart just to make sure one doesn't get promoted while the other gets relegated, right? As long as you use league fates properly the game should take care of never allowing promotion for a B-team whose main team is already in that division, and it also automatically relegates a b-team if the a-team gets relegated to its division. Maybe there are country-specific differences, but I think in most countries this is setup that way (maybe there's something in the nation settings? never noticed it). Just make sure you always use the promotion/relegation flags and then qualify the promoted/relegated teams for the proper competitions instead of relying on league position. You should see in the game that the flags that are set by the game should take the position of the a/b teams into account.

Hi Folks. I'm trying to activate the 3rd tier Irish A Championship and can't get the playoffs working properly with the standard editor. The A Championship has two sub divisions and the top two from each go into an end of season play off to decide the competition winner, I can set that up no problem. The problem is that these playoffs are separate from the promotion playoff as the division has reserve teams as well as first teams. What happens with the promotion playoff is the highest placed first team in either group, so long as they are in the top 3, plays off against the bottom team from the next division up. Would it be possible to set this up using the advanced editor?

Yes it would be possible - but it's likely that you'd also have to recreate the second tier to get the teams from there. Either way it won't be easy and you'll need to test it out.

Is the idea of some advanced panels tutorial actually something that'll coming up soon? I've been looking at other databases trying to understand how it works, but still no matter what I do none of my tries actually works, and i don't understeand it well enough to even get where I am going wrong - probably I?m even oging wrong in more than one place.

I hope to do one soon.

Can you fix the World Cup to have all the teams in it that you want?

probably but then you'll probably create a lot more problems, what will happen to the qualifiers etc.?

Hi DinamoZagreb. Thanks for your answer, yes I know that now (I saw your response to the other thread started by someone else too), I just wasn't sure whether people were understanding what I was asking or not and wanted to be clear!

Once they've implemented that then it will be amazing, puts a spanner in the works of anyone wanting to re-create an old European system. Just thinking out loud, would it be possible to create say, a Cup Winner's cup from scratch, a new Champions League (with one rep from each country) from scratch, but leave the Europa League system in place? As presumably this would then still use the hard-coded coefficient system already in-game, and the other two don't need that as they only take one representative from each country anyway?

I dont think so. Try and see, but chances are minimal. And if you create that Champions League format you want (Champions Cup actually), you would have one team from each country, so coefficients would not be needed. But with creating Champions League new format - there is little problem - unless you choose all leagues, teams from countries you did not loaded at the start would be same, all time long. That is major problem with that. I mean, I speak as of FM2010, dont know for this year's game, havent tried it yet (thouhg, other things are similar as FM2010).

Ideally you would need to set the league fate to qualify for the cup for the teams of the league who haven't qualified for the champ league, but that's not really possible. What you can do instead is modify the cup to pick the bottom 14 teams from the JL1 in the qualified teams tab of the cup, but that assumes that there are no exceptions to who qualifies for the champ league and that the number of teams never changes. To choose the bottom 14 teams, set the qualified teams to "get all teams from competition", set the competition to JL1, set max teams to 14, sort teams by last position, and reverse the sort list. Add any other divisions that enter the cup and then in the cup stage you "get qualified teams for competition" in the teams tab.

Yeah I thought of that, problem being, 1 of the teams that qualifies for the AFC is the FA cup winner, its only the top 3 finishers in the league.

I assume theres no way of adding in an exception for cup winners?

I dont think so. Try and see, but chances are minimal. And if you create that Champions League format you want (Champions Cup actually), you would have one team from each country, so coefficients would not be needed. But with creating Champions League new format - there is little problem - unless you choose all leagues, teams from countries you did not loaded at the start would be same, all time long. That is major problem with that. I mean, I speak as of FM2010, dont know for this year's game, havent tried it yet (thouhg, other things are similar as FM2010).

Yes it doesn;t work unfortunately. Coefficients seem to disappear once you edit the European structure. Fingers crossed for future versions!

Yeah I thought of that, problem being, 1 of the teams that qualifies for the AFC is the FA cup winner, its only the top 3 finishers in the league.

I assume theres no way of adding in an exception for cup winners?

Yeah, that's where it falls apart. I haven't found a way to filter a list of qualified teams by some means other than reputation or position. You could try to modify the cup to qualify teams for next year's cup if and only if they have a current fate of "no fate". You do that with "set other league fate". That should keep the winner out of the following year's cup, but then you'd have to find a way to get the first year working properly, and it's still not taking account for the other three teams you don't want in there. If the number of teams in the cup is always the same you could try the workaround of sorting the list of qualified teams by league position and omit the first three teams as outlined above.

Yeah, that's where it falls apart. I haven't found a way to filter a list of qualified teams by some means other than reputation or position. You could try to modify the cup to qualify teams for next year's cup if and only if they have a current fate of "no fate". You do that with "set other league fate". That should keep the winner out of the following year's cup, but then you'd have to find a way to get the first year working properly, and it's still not taking account for the other three teams you don't want in there. If the number of teams in the cup is always the same you could try the workaround of sorting the list of qualified teams by league position and omit the first three teams as outlined above.

You can register teams for the competition, and then Get Registered Teams for it to work in the first year.

You can register teams for the competition, and then Get Registered Teams for it to work in the first year.

It's still problematic. Let's say you have a cup with 32 teams. 31 of them will qualify for next year's cup, and three of those get chopped off from the top of the league. How do you get the other teams, and also, what happens to the teams that didn't qualify the year after that? You would basically have to register every team that could potentially be in the cup at some time and then take 32 of them, but still make sure that the others who didn't get added to the stage qualify again for next year, and you can't do that because "set other league fate" is done at the stage level, at which point you have already restricted the number of teams that take part.

It's better to let the game take care of it through built-in logic in the promotion and relegation rules than to look for a b-team two divisions below, because you don't want to disallow the possibility of the two teams playing one division apart just to make sure one doesn't get promoted while the other gets relegated, right? As long as you use league fates properly the game should take care of never allowing promotion for a B-team whose main team is already in that division, and it also automatically relegates a b-team if the a-team gets relegated to its division. Maybe there are country-specific differences, but I think in most countries this is setup that way (maybe there's something in the nation settings? never noticed it). Just make sure you always use the promotion/relegation flags and then qualify the promoted/relegated teams for the proper competitions instead of relying on league position. You should see in the game that the flags that are set by the game should take the position of the a/b teams into account.

Well it doesn't seem like the built-in logic will work when i've added a lot more divisions to a nation than it first had. I've added down to 5th level in norwegian football, and when i try to simulate for a few seasons, everytime there's a "bug". As in norway both b and c teams are allowed into ordinary leagues, and it's only for the top two division they're not allowed to play in.

I guess my previous post was vague, so I'm posting screen shots regarding my question. Anyway, my question was about how to properly set up the continent settings in the advanced rules tab, so it will automatically assign the correct teams to tournaments, without me having to assign them statically. Here is what I have:

5180287704. So I added all the nations in the nations tab.

8THfJv Then I set up the # of teams according the corresponding nations. The problem I'm having is how to get this to work when I create a tournament such as the AFC Champions League. If I statically assign teams, the tournament works, but sometimes it will duplicate teams at different stages:

8THmQM What method should I use to get the proper teams assigned in the continent tab to show up in the competition, without getting duplicate entries?

here are the links to my images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/5180287704/ - Nations

http://flic.kr/p/8THfJv - Teams

http://flic.kr/p/8THmQM - AFC Champions League (Stage 0)

It's still problematic. Let's say you have a cup with 32 teams. 31 of them will qualify for next year's cup, and three of those get chopped off from the top of the league. How do you get the other teams, and also, what happens to the teams that didn't qualify the year after that? You would basically have to register every team that could potentially be in the cup at some time and then take 32 of them, but still make sure that the others who didn't get added to the stage qualify again for next year, and you can't do that because "set other league fate" is done at the stage level, at which point you have already restricted the number of teams that take part.

You can set which clubs qualify for the cup using the Qualified Teams tab in Competition, so for example you could give the top 3 (Last winner, Last Runner up and Last 3rd Place) a seeding of 2 and the rest a seeding of 1 (you can also give different seedings elsewhere).

I've tried this and it works, by getting Qualified Teams for Comp with a seeding of 1 for the first stage and a seeding of 2 for the second stage.

I guess my previous post was vague, so I'm posting screen shots regarding my question. Anyway, my question was about how to properly set up the continent settings in the advanced rules tab, so it will automatically assign the correct teams to tournaments, without me having to assign them statically. Here is what I have:

5180287704. So I added all the nations in the nations tab.

8THfJv Then I set up the # of teams according the corresponding nations. The problem I'm having is how to get this to work when I create a tournament such as the AFC Champions League. If I statically assign teams, the tournament works, but sometimes it will duplicate teams at different stages:

8THmQM What method should I use to get the proper teams assigned in the continent tab to show up in the competition, without getting duplicate entries?

here are the links to my images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/5180287704/ - Nations

http://flic.kr/p/8THfJv - Teams

http://flic.kr/p/8THmQM - AFC Champions League (Stage 0)

I haven't tried using the Continent settings yet so I'd be unable to answer.

Well it doesn't seem like the built-in logic will work when i've added a lot more divisions to a nation than it first had. I've added down to 5th level in norwegian football, and when i try to simulate for a few seasons, everytime there's a "bug". As in norway both b and c teams are allowed into ordinary leagues, and it's only for the top two division they're not allowed to play in.

It's the same in Germany, and I've also added the 4th and 5th tier and the built-in logic works flawlessly. How are you currently promoting and relegating your teams? If you do it the way I described it should work.

AaB-ern and Nikolaj: There's a way to do it, but I haven't tried it myself. Basically, you can do what SI did for the English Blue Square Premier, which has 21 teams in one season, and then goes to 22 the next and stays that way. The way they did it was not hard-coding, but from a look at the xml in comps.fmf it seems like you can create the same competition in multiple different versions for different years. So you could create two versions of the second division and the one below: one that is only valid in 2011, and the others take over in 2012. That way you can account for the difference in number of teams and number of promotion/relegation spots. Take a look at the SI files how they did it, because it's not that straight-forward.

Definitely don't use flexible number of teams in the competition. It will eventually screw up (could be many years down the road so holidaying a season or two doesn't help) and you'll end up with no fixtures being generated.

Thank you very much. I'll try. :)

Edit: There is a line in the list of valid years in both con2_region-xml, but is has no year set in any of them. How does the game know, which year to use what version?

Hi, basically as my first project to learn how to use the editor I am trying to make the New Zealand leagues/competitions. I've got the league running fine and made a cup competition for a 'finals series' with the top 4 at the end of the season but I now have a few things that I just don't know how to achieve with the editor and was hoping someone could point me to the right options.

Firstly, in real life the winner of the league stage + the winner of the final qualify for the O-League (Oceanic Champions League) with the runner up of the league qualifying if the same team wins both stages. However, on the editor when I attempted to remake the O-League to replicate this I had two problems, firstly I could not see any options which would cover the situation in which the league runner up qualifies as I just described and secondly when I put my version of the O-League in game it would always be set to schedule from 2020 onwards and not before. I checked all the dates I put into the editor and just can't see why this is?

One of the competitions I'm trying to make is the ASB Phoenix Challenge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASB_Phoenix_Challenge) which involves a reserve team from Wellington Phoenix (NZ team in the Australian league) playing each of the teams from the NZ premier league once during the course of the NZ season, with the winner of each game earning a $2000 prize. Firstly is this even possible to set up as it is in real life with only Phoenix playing more than one game in the competition and a prize for each game? and secondly I've attempted to add it several ways but only a league (which involved the other teams playing each other) worked in the game so does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about this?

Thanks,

Valin: Are you using the advanced rules or the regular editor? If you are using the last one, this ain't the correct thread to ask.

Forgot to mention it, sorry. I downloaded the files from the first post of this thread and am working under the 'List' section (which I believe is the advance rules?) to set up (or fail at setting up) this stuff.

@Aab'ern I did it, however I am have to make it work down to series 1, which is still at bit more work.

However to answer your question look at my picture (a picture says more than a thousands words... :) )

You basically tell it to check one specific competion (which is First Division, because that is the one that changes), and choose min and max.

Hope it helps

hwd62t.png

@Aab'ern I did it, however I am have to make it work down to series 1, which is still at bit more work.

However to answer your question look at my picture (a picture says more than a thousands words... :) )

You basically tell it to check one specific competion (which is First Division, because that is the one that changes), and choose min and max.

Hope it helps

Awesome. But what do you do with the teams then? How can you relegate more teams than you get up from the "Danish Lower Leagues"?

Maybe you could upload yours and I'll have a look. :)

And also, good luck with your project.

I was making a basque country database. I decided to use the advanced panel so that I'd have more freedom and at the same time to try to understand how it works. Right now I?m trying to make something very simple. One league - 14 teams, no relegations whatsoever. the file loads, I can select to start a game with the basque country, I can select the league - but the game crashes while creating the game. Here's the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?48iuiv8thh4t8yw

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry if this has already been answered. is it possible to recreate the relationship r.madrid have with castilla at other clubs? For example, have my tottenham reserves side play in an actual league, or any competitive league club that i can swap as many players as i like between. I beleive they have a similar situation in germany whereby reserve teams play in competitive leagues. is it possible to do in england?

Magic :), or someone else: is it possible to, after group stage, make pairings A1-B2, B1-A2, C1-D2 and D1-C2, or sth like that, but in some order? I tried lots of thing, many times, and nothing.

Also, did anyone got what does "Fixed (1-2, 3-4 etc.)" in "draw rules" tab stands for?

Awesome. But what do you do with the teams then? How can you relegate more teams than you get up from the "Danish Lower Leagues"?

Maybe you could upload yours and I'll have a look. :)

And also, good luck with your project.

That is what I am working on right now to get it completely right, maybe even making the lowest league (Danish Lower League) playable or something. Because what I have actually done now, is just moving the problem a league lower (ie. Local Series, Sjællandsserien, Jyllandsserien etc.), so when I get it right, I will share it. I just hope I do it before I lose my patience and interest (and my sanity) in the project :S

I was making a basque country database. I decided to use the advanced panel so that I'd have more freedom and at the same time to try to understand how it works. Right now I?m trying to make something very simple. One league - 14 teams, no relegations whatsoever. the file loads, I can select to start a game with the basque country, I can select the league - but the game crashes while creating the game. Here's the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?48iuiv8thh4t8yw

What am I doing wrong?

Well I looked at it and tried a bit however I could not get it to work one way or another.

Then I saw under:

File->Validation, it could be the culprit!??! I think you need to get that in order, because it will load properly.

how can i make teams get relegated from what i want to be the lowest active league to a lower league, which should be inactive? everytime i try the lower league get playable in the game too, and this generates an error while starting up the game.

You can set which clubs qualify for the cup using the Qualified Teams tab in Competition, so for example you could give the top 3 (Last winner, Last Runner up and Last 3rd Place) a seeding of 2 and the rest a seeding of 1 (you can also give different seedings elsewhere).

I've tried this and it works, by getting Qualified Teams for Comp with a seeding of 1 for the first stage and a seeding of 2 for the second stage.

I was thinking, maybe I can use seedings to get my regional cups working properly, but I'm not sure how. Basically, I want to qualify everyone with Other Division set to the regional cup, and out of those only pick the teams in the 4th division and lower. Or, if that's easier, in reverse: pick all teams from the 4th division and lower and out of those pick the ones with Other Division set to the cup. Can you think of a way to make this work with seedings?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

I'm trying to make the San Marinho system as it is in real life and I'm finding that as newbie on this I might have started with something a little bit too much for me. The 15 teams are each year randomly separated into 2 groups, one of 8 and one of 7 - making that happen is easy. Then they play all the teams in their own group twice, and then the teams from the other group once - what's the best way of achieving this?

Is it possible to open excisting xml files which have been made with the regular editor in de editor with advanced panels?

I think that the advanced panels have just the right functions I need but recreating the whole xml file again would be a lot of work.

There is somenthing I don't understand.... I updated my db... and it works correctly...

There is only one thing....

IN the Editor / file/ details there are new record 250.. changes 5500 then there are in red FAILED 7

??? what does it means? how can I repair it?

Guys, I am creeping towards my own solutions to problems here ......... but here's the latest one. The tournament I've made (now 512 teams) does great all the way up to the Group Stage. But although if you check the 4th Round "rules" it says "Winner Qualifies for Group Stage" and the Group Stage schedule exists on the calender, the games themselves never happen.

I've checked the download of the Champions League. i've gone through the download for the SPL. Neither has helped. What the Hell am I doing wrong?

Guys, I am creeping towards my own solutions to problems here ......... but here's the latest one. The tournament I've made (now 512 teams) does great all the way up to the Group Stage. But although if you check the 4th Round "rules" it says "Winner Qualifies for Group Stage" and the Group Stage schedule exists on the calender, the games themselves never happen.

I've checked the download of the Champions League. i've gone through the download for the SPL. Neither has helped. What the Hell am I doing wrong?

In the 'fate actions' tab of your cup stage add the following option: "Qualify team for stage", set the round name (if your case Round 4), select "winning team" from the drop down menuName the "main stage" the Group Stage. Then go to the group stage you have created. Under the teams tab, set the following option, "Get qualified teams from stage", set the stage ID (the one for the cup round), and the main stage name ("Group Stage"). It should now take the winners from the cup round into the group stage. Let me know if you run into any problem.

Okay guys ........... I've uploaded my Work in Progress onto Megaupload ......... Can someone download this, have a poke about, and figure out what the HELL I have done wrong ? I have edited it from Fraudiays suggestion, trying something of my own ........ I just hope SOMEONE can make this work. Once this is licked, I intend to work on a few more projects ........ but this one is driving me mad !

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YZUZN468

Hello, and Thanx for this great thread. I have an Issue which should be little, but...

I have added 4 created teams, and put them into the English Premier League.

My agenda is to Enlarge the that division to 24 teams. (+to change for tournament dates for the extra rounds needed). But I have no ambition to change the other set of rules.

So,, How can actually I do this?

any help are greatly appreaciated!! :-)

Just a point of clarification to ensure I'm understanding the advanced editing correctly

If, for example, I wish to completely create the English Leagues from scratch, I would need to the following

1) Ensure all leagues/cups and teams I want exist in the normal editor (aka database)

2) Create a "Nation" rules list in the advanced editor

3) create a "competition" rules list for each competition I wish to have running?

Does that about cover it?

Just a point of clarification to ensure I'm understanding the advanced editing correctly

If, for example, I wish to completely create the English Leagues from scratch, I would need to the following

1) Ensure all leagues/cups and teams I want exist in the normal editor (aka database)

2) Create a "Nation" rules list in the advanced editor

3) create a "competition" rules list for each competition I wish to have running?

Does that about cover it?

in a nutshell, yeah. also reference the competitions in the nation rules

I'm trying to make the San Marinho system as it is in real life and I'm finding that as newbie on this I might have started with something a little bit too much for me. The 15 teams are each year randomly separated into 2 groups, one of 8 and one of 7 - making that happen is easy. Then they play all the teams in their own group twice, and then the teams from the other group once - what's the best way of achieving this?

Does anyone have any idea?

in a nutshell, yeah. also reference the competitions in the nation rules

Ok, so I defo don't need to create nation rules through the normal editor then?

I've already got each competition list inside the "Competitions" section

I'm presuming the Required Teams tab is set for loading any team that maybe required for, say, the FA Cup? (Presuming this, because in the orig comps file, practically every English league is listed)

Sorry for what seems like basic questions, but this is my first foray into the Advanced Panel, with atm what I've done just causing straight crash dumps, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything (which I know I am)

Hello,

First of all, let me say a big thanks to everyone who made this advanced editing happen!! :thup:

Maybe this is asked already, but I'll try my luck anyway:

I'm trying to complete the Dutch competition-structure down to Tier 10. The Eredivisie (Tier 1) and Eerste Divisie (Tier 2) are already in the game. From Tier 3 downwards, I'm building.

Problem with the Dutch structure is that the lower Tiers are not only divided by region, but also by matchday. You have a Saturday pyramid and a Sunday Pyramid, and you want to avoid that Sunday-teams end up in a Saturday-league. Basically, that's not the biggest problem.

The 2 Topklasse-competitions (Tier 3) are pretty straightforward, so are the 6 Hoofdklasse-competitions (Tier 4). The only problem is this:

In Tier 3, teams ending on positions 14, 15 and 16 are relegated. The team that ends on position 13 has to play play-off matches (knockout-system) against 3 teams from Tier 4. The winner of that mini-competition will be promoted to Tier 3. This system applies both to the Saturday and the Sunday-league of Tier 3.

To determine the 3 teams from Tier 4, each competition is divided into periods, same system that is applied in the Eerste Divisie. Tier 4-competitions have 3 periods, the first period consists of 8 matches, the other two periods consist of 9 matches each. The winners of the three periods in the same competition play a Round Robin-tournament. The winner of that tournament, accompanied by the 2 other winners from Tier 4 Round-Robin tournaments on the same day, plays against the nr. 13 of Tier 3 from the same day (knock-out). The winner is promoted to Tier 3.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to divide the Tier 4-competitions into 3 periods? How?

2. Can you determine that the winners of those periodes play against eachother after the regular competition has ended? How?

3. Can you determine that the winners of those play-off from the same day play against the nr. 13 of Tier 3 from the same day, and that the winner is promoted to Tier 3? How?

If someone could answer these question, I would be very gratefull.

Thank you.

Magic :), or someone else: is it possible to, after group stage, make pairings A1-B2, B1-A2, C1-D2 and D1-C2, or sth like that, but in some order? I tried lots of thing, many times, and nothing.

Also, did anyone got what does "Fixed (1-2, 3-4 etc.)" in "draw rules" tab stands for?

To be honest, I am just getting back into editing and to this site after a long layoff, so I haven't done much advanced panel editing in 2011.

But, assuming that things are not much different from 2010, you can always use seeding or team index when entering the team in the intended stage, then you can pair the teams in 'valid draw rule' using 'place teams together' or 'keep teams apart' options, just enter the seedings or indexes of the teams that you want to pair or keep apart.

Archived