FM2011 Editor Advanced Rules Activation and Discussion

magicmastermind124

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I've tired using the MLS file to increase the number of teams and place Portland in the league, in hope of creating a massive expansion...but it doesn't work at all sadly! keep getting a message about it 'needing 16 teams found 17' or whatever. Does anyone know if this is actually possible or not?

Sounds like the max number of teams isn't adjusted and still on 16.

Thats what I have tried to do, increase the teams in division and get the same message. I can't see where you can change the min and max number teams though. It's doing my head in.

if you've added the nation rules instead of creating them from scratch you may have to edit the xml by hand. write down the id of the competition you've edited and look for that competition in the "rule_group" section of the file. there should be a record with "maximum_number_teams".

Have you closed and reopened the editor? And are the files saved in the correct folder? (Make sure they are saved in format)

As for comps.rar, that is just a list of competitions you can edit by loading them into the editor.

Thanks for that. Even though WinRAR said it replaced them, it actually didn't. I've just done it manually and it's working fine.

So I've tired using the MLS file to increase the number of teams and place Portland in the league, in hope of creating a massive expansion...but it doesn't work at all sadly! keep getting a message about it 'needing 16 teams found 17' or whatever. Does anyone know if this is actually possible or not?

So far. No. I've got Portland and Baltimore (just for testing purposes) in and the game loads. However, conferences don't work and I can't get the game to create fixtures without crashing during loading.

I also did some testing last night to see what would work and what wouldn't work in the editor. I took the scotland nation file from the comps file and used that as my basis for editing. The goal was to see add 2 teams to the SPL and have it actually get into league games (which my other projects haven't). In the database I used the original SPL competition ID for one file, a created from scratch competition ID for another, and a new competition ID that was an exact duplicate of the original SPL competition. The only difference in every one of these files was the competition ID that the league has, and the only one that would load was the file with the original SPL competition ID in it. I'm starting to feel like there is some things that may be hard coded and keeps things that are created in the advanced editor from working correctly.

Edit: I've gotten the game to run an MLS season, but it doesn't use the MLS rules (like salary cap and the like) and it is in single table format. I'm going to mess around with it and see what works and doesn't work. I have a feeling things like the draft are pointless to worry about since there is likely no way to tell the draft component of the program that there are more than 16 teams.

Sounds like the max number of teams isn't adjusted and still on 16.

I have tried editing it in the xml, but still have no luck. So not sure what else I could do.

So far. No. I've got Portland and Baltimore (just for testing purposes) in and the game loads. However, conferences don't work and I can't get the game to create fixtures without crashing during loading.

I also did some testing last night to see what would work and what wouldn't work in the editor. I took the scotland nation file from the comps file and used that as my basis for editing. The goal was to see add 2 teams to the SPL and have it actually get into league games (which my other projects haven't). In the database I used the original SPL competition ID for one file, a created from scratch competition ID for another, and a new competition ID that was an exact duplicate of the original SPL competition. The only difference in every one of these files was the competition ID that the league has, and the only one that would load was the file with the original SPL competition ID in it. I'm starting to feel like there is some things that may be hard coded and keeps things that are created in the advanced editor from working correctly.

On mine, the MLS becomes invalid and is unelectable. I'm starting to think it's actually impossible as nothing I have tried seems to be working.

On mine, the MLS becomes invalid and is unelectable. I'm starting to think it's actually impossible as nothing I have tried seems to be working.

Have you added the USA nation rules in the advance editor? When you load the USA-MLS file there will only be an MLS competition listed under "list". If you expand MLS you need to add a USA nation rule in addition to the changed MLS competition. If you don't add that, the game looks at the default nation rules and sees that there should be 16 teams and blows up when it looks at the database and sees 17. The problem is that when you create a new USA nation rule you start breaking the hardcoded rules. If you want to see what a nation file looks like go into the "eng" folder and pick "eng.xml"; that is just the England nation rules. It should help you understand what a nation rule looks like and how it effects the competition file. For instance, in the nation file you can set different discipline rules and then you call them out in the competition rules. You can have rules for the league and rules for the cup and call them out in the individual competitions.

Have you added the USA nation rules in the advance editor? When you load the USA-MLS file there will only be an MLS competition listed under "list". If you expand MLS you need to add a USA nation rule in addition to the changed MLS competition. If you don't add that, the game looks at the default nation rules and sees that there should be 16 teams and blows up when it looks at the database and sees 17. The problem is that when you create a new USA nation rule you start breaking the hardcoded rules. If you want to see what a nation file looks like go into the "eng" folder and pick "eng.xml"; that is just the England nation rules. It should help you understand what a nation rule looks like and how it effects the competition file. For instance, in the nation file you can set different discipline rules and then you call them out in the competition rules. You can have rules for the league and rules for the cup and call them out in the individual competitions.

Ah ok, well I tried an MLS expansion on FM2010 in a similar way, I managed to keep contract rules, salary caps etc but lost the conferences and superdraft; as well as things such as the all star game.

A couple North America-related questions, as I am creating a fictional Canada league that has three separate geographical regions. I created the three leagues using the nation rules provided in the basic editor.

1) I would like to advance the winner of all three leagues to the Canadian Champions Cup (CCC) the next year, and have them playoff for the one spot Canada has for the CCL. I re-created the CCC in the advanced editor, but the game just ignores it and continues to put TFC/Montreal/Vancouver in the competition. Is it even possible do to this, or do I need to create the three Canada leagues in the advanced panel as well?

2) On that note, is there a way to edit match day rules/squad size rules with the advanced panel? I have no issues creating the leagues in there, but I would like to have a foreign player limit and can't seem to figure out how to do it. I copied in the EPL xml file to see if it was in there (the 8 HG player rule) and I couldn't find any squad size rules in there either.

Thanks

A couple North America-related questions, as I am creating a fictional Canada league that has three separate geographical regions. I created the three leagues using the nation rules provided in the basic editor.

1) I would like to advance the winner of all three leagues to the Canadian Champions Cup (CCC) the next year, and have them playoff for the one spot Canada has for the CCL. I re-created the CCC in the advanced editor, but the game just ignores it and continues to put TFC/Montreal/Vancouver in the competition. Is it even possible do to this, or do I need to create the three Canada leagues in the advanced panel as well?

2) On that note, is there a way to edit match day rules/squad size rules with the advanced panel? I have no issues creating the leagues in there, but I would like to have a foreign player limit and can't seem to figure out how to do it. I copied in the EPL xml file to see if it was in there (the 8 HG player rule) and I couldn't find any squad size rules in there either.

Thanks

1. Using both Nation Rules and Advanced Rules is going to make the game choose Nation Rules. The best option for you here is to create a separate Club Continental file.

2. You edit the Squad, fixture and discipline rules in the Nation part of the Advanced Rules. You'll find the 8HG rule in the eng.xml file not the epl file.

1. Using both Nation Rules and Advanced Rules is going to make the game choose Nation Rules. The best option for you here is to create a separate Club Continental file.

Hm, so it's actually possible to use both advanced panel and nation rules as long as you keep them in separate files? How exactly does it work? Let's say I would like to create some competitions in the nation rules and just some using the advanced panel. Could I create one file with just the advanced nation part and the competition, and then another file using the default nation rules, and have the advanced nation overwrite parts of the default? I'm struggling a bit with the version numbers: it says if the version is greater than 1 it would completely overwrite existing rules. Does that mean if the version is 1 or 0 it would uptake the old rules and only use your changes? That would be exactly what I want.

Woah, there's some good stuff in that nation file. Thanks!

Per the first point, I have in the past attempted to create a FA Cup in the Nation Rules that would qualify a team for the "continental competition," yet in those cases the CCC still overrides it. Since the CCC has no registered teams in the database, I can now create it as a FA Cup through the nation rules, but then no team qualifies for the competition and the Champions League just never gets scheduled. I'll try to create the three leagues and go from there.

Editing the American Structure is not going to be a simple task. I assume the people at fmnorthamerica are working on a release.

This year is a lot worse than last year. I've got both the CSL (canada) and MLS (usa) to load with custom rules and together in the same file (both USA and Canada nation files in one xml). I can't get any other league in either country to load though. I can't even get custom competitions (which worked fine last year in the advanced editor) to not throw an "array out of bounds" error near the start of the season, even when it is identical to the competitions that do load. There is something going on there that I just can't put my finger on.

So one more question regarding the versioning. Can I only partially overwrite a nation by using a low version number or do I have to recreate the entire nation rules? Would be a real pain when you don't have access to the competition file, so I was hoping to only define the changes instead of specifying everything all over again.

Just a word of caution. I'm not sure this will work right now with the advanced panel. I could just be messing something up, but I've yet to get a fictional league to work. You might be able to take the existing CSL and somehow make a 3 division league, but 3 separate leagues will fail (at least with everything I've done so far). If you get a fictional league created with the advanced panel to work, I'd love to see your file.

Just a word of caution. I'm not sure this will work right now with the advanced panel. I could just be messing something up, but I've yet to get a fictional league to work. You might be able to take the existing CSL and somehow make a 3 division league, but 3 separate leagues will fail (at least with everything I've done so far). If you get a fictional league created with the advanced panel to work, I'd love to see your file.

I got it created, but all three leagues somehow had the same teams haha.

I'm making a couple tweaks and taking another shot right now. If this doesn't work, I'm just going to use nation rules and I guess I'll settle with one of TFC/Vancouver/Montreal going into the CCL every year. Ah well :(

edit: I keep getting "fixture rules does not have valid squad selection rules." Not sure what that means.

This is quite aggravating. I can't manage to get any fixtures to schedule for my promotion playoff. This is what I have:

Parent competition and Multiple competitions with 3 divisions plus another that is my "promotion league" to which the champions of the other 3 divisions are supposed to qualify. the promotion league is set to be scheduled after the other divisions have finished. In the game it says that the competition will be scheduled on the date I specified, but when that date comes it doesn't generate any fixtures and it changes to "This competition has not been scheduled yet".

I've set both league fate actions (Qualify team for competition, promotion league, Qualified, Hidden) as well as qualification rules (first team qualifies for stage "Promotion Playoff"). The in-game rules correctly show that the winner will qualify for the promotion playoff. In the actual promotion league I have a single stage of type "league" with a stage name "Promotion Playoff" and set to 3 teams. In the teams tab I set it to get Qualified Teams From Stage.

What are the possible causes why the promotion league never generates any fixtures? I don't even know if it draws the right teams and then just doesn't generate fixtures for some reason or if it never gets around to drawing any teams and therefore fails to generate fixtures (though I would expect the game to crash or throw some error if that happens and it doesn't).

Does anyone know of any file that does have a similar structure that I can look at? The ones in comps.fmf don't have cross-divisional playoffs, which is basically what I'm after. At its most general, I need an example where one competition successfully draws qualifying teams from another competition in the same season.

Please, anyone. How to make schedule for two groups, so group A is played on day 1, 3, 5, and group B on day 2, 4, 6, and, if possible, on specific hours. I know for individual group rules, but I dont have any idea how to make it work. Tried in FM10, but failed always.

So, if there is anyone who can help, I would be very, very grateful. :)

Please.

So I can create the league with all the teams playable and the system set up well, but on the first matchday I get "array access out of bounds" and the game freezes.

Boo :(

That is exactly where I'm at right now. I was hoping to find something when I compared the basic file (since that works all the time) with the advanced file, but I can't pick up on what might cause the basic to work. There is a line <string id="use_game_rules" value="not_in_game"/> that I was hoping would fix the problem, but that hasn't worked. I'm pretty much out of ideas right now and I'm thinking that we are sol. Either this doesn't work by design, or there is something in there that just isn't working like it should. Might be time to petition SI on this one.

Dale,

If you post your file somewhere I'll take a quick look and see if I can find anything. I'm stuck in the mud with my project right now, so least I can do is contribute to the editing community at large.

Try putting your promotion playoff as a stage within your multiple competition that has the three leagues you are trying to get into the playoff. Stage 0 should be the league and Stage 1 should be the promotion playoff. I don't think it will work with your promotion being a separate competition. From what I did in 2010 that should work.

Try putting your promotion playoff as a stage within your multiple competition that has the three leagues you are trying to get into the playoff. Stage 0 should be the league and Stage 1 should be the promotion playoff. I don't think it will work with your promotion being a separate competition. From what I did in 2010 that should work.

I tried that at first but I realized it won't work. It's a multi competition meaning if I put another stage in there it would apply to all competitions inside of it, no? I don't want a playoff for each league inside it, but a single playoff that draws a team from each of the leagues in the multi competition if that makes sense. Remember the Conference North/South playoff in the 2005 season or so? The winners of each conference got promoted to the National and the North runner-up and South runner-up were playing out the 3rd promotion spot in a playoff. Kind of like that.

That being said, I would love it if I could make this work with stages, because I'm not too happy about having the promotion playoff group show up in the in-game competition list alongside the regular season leagues. A multiple competition is nothing but a shortcut for having 2 or more competitions with the same rules. If I would separate these into three individual simple competitions, then the playoffs can't be a stage of the individual leagues because then I would have three playoffs. I'm going to try and play around with adding the playoff as a stage of the parent group.

Update: Oh god, it was something stupidly simple. I forgot to check the "for current year" box in the league fate. After checking that it works. Spent so many hours trying so many things and missed something this obvious...

Please, anyone. How to make schedule for two groups, so group A is played on day 1, 3, 5, and group B on day 2, 4, 6, and, if possible, on specific hours. I know for individual group rules, but I dont have any idea how to make it work. Tried in FM10, but failed always.

So, if there is anyone who can help, I would be very, very grateful. :)

Please.

You can make rules for individual groups and also individual schedules. Just specify the match days and times. When you're in the individual group rules section there is a button for optional fields that reveals League Schedule.

Anybody got an idea what to look for when the new season never starts? I did set the season update date in the Nation and set the version to 1 so it keeps all the rules of the original nation except the stuff I changed. Can't figure out why nothing happens when the season update date passes.

Check that the Past Winners of the competitions show up - if they don't, then the game will think the season is still running.

Try giving every team a ranking.

Anybody got an idea what to look for when the new season never starts? I did set the season update date in the Nation and set the version to 1 so it keeps all the rules of the original nation except the stuff I changed. Can't figure out why nothing happens when the season update date passes.

I had the same problem. Have you set up a stage directly in a parent competition (e.g. for playoffs)? I removed this stage and put it into one of the child competitions, and that solved the problem and the season gets updated.

You can make rules for individual groups and also individual schedules. Just specify the match days and times. When you're in the individual group rules section there is a button for optional fields that reveals League Schedule.

Yes, I know that. And I tried again, but only one group is in schedule I want it. Other group is spreaded over 7 days, four days one match, fifth day is rest, as like as sixth, and last day both matches. I set up times to 1600 and 2000, and matches are played on 1930. While other group is on Fri, Mon and Thu, with matches at 1600 and 2000. Really weird, and I would really like to have both groups same.

Hey guys,

Is there any way to force clubs to only buy free players and players of a certain age?

Many thanks in advance!

If you download the file you'll find that you can set Transfer Windows where teams can only buy free players, however you cannot limit transfers to the player's age.

Yes, I know that. And I tried again, but only one group is in schedule I want it. Other group is spreaded over 7 days, four days one match, fifth day is rest, as like as sixth, and last day both matches. I set up times to 1600 and 2000, and matches are played on 1930. While other group is on Fri, Mon and Thu, with matches at 1600 and 2000. Really weird, and I would really like to have both groups same.

You might have better luck specifying the fixture dates by using League Fixtures. If you do not enter the year but instead enter the team index the fixtures will stay for future seasons.

I had the same problem. Have you set up a stage directly in a parent competition (e.g. for playoffs)? I removed this stage and put it into one of the child competitions, and that solved the problem and the season gets updated.

It seems like that may indeed be the reason, because I've set rankings and it still doesn't record a winner, and the only competition it doesn't record winners is indeed one where I have a playoff stage in the parent competition. The child competitions however are multiple competitions. How can I make the playoff be a part of them when it is supposed to be cross-divisional?

It seems like that may indeed be the reason, because I've set rankings and it still doesn't record a winner, and the only competition it doesn't record winners is indeed one where I have a playoff stage in the parent competition. The child competitions however are multiple competitions. How can I make the playoff be a part of them when it is supposed to be cross-divisional?

Not tried it but perhaps it may be better to create a Competition for the Parent Competition, and run the playoff stage in that instead of the Parent Competition. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

You might have better luck specifying the fixture dates by using League Fixtures. If you do not enter the year but instead enter the team index the fixtures will stay for future seasons.

Thanks for constant answering.

And I have one more question. I made succesfully what I wanted. But there is one specific problem. I tried to solve it many ways, but failing, regularly. How to make teams go to final (or other ko round) when I use individual group settings? There is everything like it should be - spot that takes to final (1st in group) is colored green, on rules page there is "First team qualifies to Final", and after finishing group stage, nothing. Life goes on :), and I havent played final match. What can be reason? I added all in editor, but nothing happens.

And one more thing. Is it possible to make host country name appears under competition name, along with title holder? I made OFC Nations Cup with games played on host court (made host in editor), but there is just title holder, no info on host. And every match is played in Waikato, NZL.

:)

Somebody, please fix the Spanish yellow card suspension issue. I would have already done it myself long ago, but I don't understand how to use the advanced editor.

Seriously, I've seen all kinds of new leagues downloadable but nobody can fix this little problem and release a damn download?!

Well thanks to your tips I did manage to get the cross-divisional playoffs working and the season to update. The next thing I was going to do however seems very tricky, as I don't see anything in the advanced panels that would allow me to do that. I need to limit the qualification to the playoff to teams who are actually eligible for promotion, meaning if they're a B-team and their main team is already in the division above, then I don't want them to even qualify for the playoffs. This is handled fine by default when it's just straight promotion from one league to another - the game knows about the parent teams and sets the P accordingly, but since I'm dealing with qualifying to just another stage instead of directly promoting to another competition, the game has no way of knowing whether or not they will be eligible.

I was hoping that it was possible using either stage qualification rules or refine the get teams, but neither seems to have that kind of flexibility. Anyone know of another way of doing that?

Thanks for constant answering.

And I have one more question. I made succesfully what I wanted. But there is one specific problem. I tried to solve it many ways, but failing, regularly. How to make teams go to final (or other ko round) when I use individual group settings? There is everything like it should be - spot that takes to final (1st in group) is colored green, on rules page there is "First team qualifies to Final", and after finishing group stage, nothing. Life goes on :), and I havent played final match. What can be reason? I added all in editor, but nothing happens.

And one more thing. Is it possible to make host country name appears under competition name, along with title holder? I made OFC Nations Cup with games played on host court (made host in editor), but there is just title holder, no info on host. And every match is played in Waikato, NZL.

:)

In the KO round stage, I usually tell the competitions to get teams from league stage - specify the stage name and the number of teams, and which positions they come from. There are plenty of options when getting teams, like to reverse the teams on the list so that the lower-placed teams are picked first if you specify how many teams enter in the next round.

Somebody, please fix the Spanish yellow card suspension issue. I would have already done it myself long ago, but I don't understand how to use the advanced editor.

Seriously, I've seen all kinds of new leagues downloadable but nobody can fix this little problem and release a damn download?!

Changing one section is not an easy job because it involves setting up everything else. If you find it so annoying fix it yourself. No-one knew how to use the Advanced Rules when it first came out, and we are still learning.

Well thanks to your tips I did manage to get the cross-divisional playoffs working and the season to update. The next thing I was going to do however seems very tricky, as I don't see anything in the advanced panels that would allow me to do that. I need to limit the qualification to the playoff to teams who are actually eligible for promotion, meaning if they're a B-team and their main team is already in the division above, then I don't want them to even qualify for the playoffs. This is handled fine by default when it's just straight promotion from one league to another - the game knows about the parent teams and sets the P accordingly, but since I'm dealing with qualifying to just another stage instead of directly promoting to another competition, the game has no way of knowing whether or not they will be eligible.

I was hoping that it was possible using either stage qualification rules or refine the get teams, but neither seems to have that kind of flexibility. Anyone know of another way of doing that?

As above if you use Get League Stage Teams you can specify whether or not to use Reserve/B/Youth Teams.

Quick question about the nature of editing competition. Am I right in saying that if you were to re-create the old Cup Winner's Cup, you would in turn have to edit the current Champions League, UEFA Cup, Intertoto Cup, Super Cup and any other competition that is directly or indirectly linked?

Would this even be possible to get it working properly?

Is there any chance you could upload your file so I can have a look to see where I'm going wrong with mine?

Can anyone give me any hints on setting up ranking levels? The way I'm looking at it, I define my rankings in the tab on the competition itself and then in the league ranking levels section define what position in the table gets my previously defined rankings. Is that right?

I'm also confused by the highest and lowest rankings section. They're almost always going to be the same as far as I can see.

These rankings appear to be tied into season expectations, which I don't think are working properly in my edited Premier League. I can get the first 6 teams working properly (the playoff teams), but after I add more everything gets messed up.

If you download the file you'll find that you can set Transfer Windows where teams can only buy free players, however you cannot limit transfers to the player's age.

Thanks for that. Is there anyway to enforce an indivdual club to only sign free transfers? That's kind of what I'm looking for.

As above if you use Get League Stage Teams you can specify whether or not to use Reserve/B/Youth Teams.

That doesn't work in this case, because I only don't want the B team to gain access to the round if its parent team is in the level above it, not disallow B teams in general. I found a workaround that seems to work but it's not that pretty. By making the promotion stage a separate competition and setting the level to one lower than the league they're coming from, I can make them "promote" to the promotion round instead of qualifying. That way the game does its usual magic of deciding who gets promoted, but I really would prefer the promotion round to be a stage. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to make the new promotion competition actually finish and record a winner, so I'm back at the problem where the season never updates, but I'll keep digging.

Archived