England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

I think Carrick is class, always loved the guy- even in his West Ham days, such a lovely passer of the ball. But he's not in the Utd team, hasn't had a great year- and then you have Huddlestone, similar style player, much younger, playing well and who gets picked? It's not as though Carrick is an established member of the starting line up either, he's still trying to do that!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well done capello, being rubbish again. smh. everything's already been mentioned so I'll just pick what I'd like to see from that lot:

hart

g. johnson

dawson

jagielka

a. cole

carrick

milner

walcott

gerrard

a. johnson

rooney

obviously that won't happen and it is completely ridiculous that gareth barry still plays for england.

tbh that could happen. Just Barry likely to start in centre mid. That back 5 is likely, as long as jagielka is fit. And that front 4 is what started the last game. I'm worried we'll see a 442. But if we play the same formation from the hungary game 10 of your players will probably start.

Carrick is a great player when things are going well, I dearly love him to be spraying the ball all over the place but seems content to play the short, simple ball pretty much every time. I don't want him pinging long balls into nowhere but he doesn't seem very adventurous. I think he likes his 'deep lying' role as he doesn't seem too good when being pressured on the ball for me so I'd be closing him down quickly I was against him. I am not buying the "there is nothing on so he doesn't pass" line either, just don't think he gets involved enough and not a fan of him in a midfield two but would love him to be 'our Pirlo' or something :/

I really don't know why Huddlestone isn't in the squad, I'd have him starting tbf with Lampard out. I assume this means Carrick will start then? At least he's fresh! Fergie knows his players and doesn't seem to turn to Carrick much in big, pressure games and has also said (last season?) that Carrick doesn't 'get going until October' which seems a polite way of saying he'd been rubbish ... not sure I remember a massive run of form from October onwards either ...

SWP is the one that baffles me all kinds of crazy! I just don't see it. I don't see it with Capello's apparent love of Upson either but we hardly have any centre backs but SWP ... please tell, Fabio, please! :p I think I would have even left out Carlton Cole and put Huddlestone in as can't see Cole playing and atm he shouldn't, been poor

Bah!

tbh that could happen. Just Barry likely to start in centre mid. That back 5 is likely, as long as jagielka is fit. And that front 4 is what started the last game. I'm worried we'll see a 442. But if we play the same formation from the hungary game 10 of your players will probably start.

you're probably right actually, but I was so fuming at barry I wasn't thinking straight.

Yeah the Upson call up will get stick. But Rio and JT are out and we have for some reason called up 5 defenders so he was bound to make. SWP makes no sense though. I thought Ashley Young had replaced SWP as our back up versatile winger.

The squad seems to lack balance. 3 out and out centre mids. Then out wide we have Walcott, Young, Johnson, SWP and Milner. 5 strikers, and 5 centre backs. But 1 right back.

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Dawson Cole

Carrick Gerrard Milner

Walcott              Johnson

Rooney

Is what I'd go with from the squad.

I would really love to pick someone better than Walcott, but unfortunately Huddlestone hasn't been picked.

Is Lennon injured? Because I'm sure he's better than Young, Walcott and SWP

Capello puts everyone wide left. Gerrard, Milner, Cole....

Pretty much this.....

.....................................J. Cole

.......................................Barry

.......................................Milner

.....................................Gerrard

......................................Rooney

.............Crouch........................

Has there been any less enthusiasm for an England qualifying campaign ever?? Hardly any mention of it, it's also Friday which is 'meh' (although the weekend for me here so no problem, better in fact). We have injuries coming out our arse, everyone hates Capello, it seems and we're waiting for him to fail and it's same 'ol, same 'ol in the squad.

Seems like some sections of the media are saying 'Capello has gone back on his word with the kids' ... erm, eh? Who exactly should be in the squad out of the 'kids'? With the likes of Lampard/Terry out this is a glimpse of our future, look at those centre backs. He's got to start Upson cause he's the only one with caps but he didn't use him in the last friendly, what's that about? Dawson didn't inspire me against Hungary or that 1st leg against Young Boys.

I think at the very lease people are hoping for a change of shape but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4-4-2, if so then no Gerrard left, for sure, maybe Milner with Walcott right, Barry/Gerrard in the middle and Rooney/Crouch ... is Crouch even fit?

The squad does scream out 442. But Capello is really hard to guess.

I think at the start of every qualification there is always negative vibes coming out. Obviously we come off the back of a disapointing international tournement. Remember Capello's first qualifier against Andora. Just about won, people were ready to give up. Then we spanked Croatia and we were world beaters again.

But before that Andorra game the attitude was "well, it can't be any worse" so we were looking forward, now I think it's total apathy. I wonder if the ground will be sold out as it's friday too, surely no one wants late friday kick offs, not good for business, stupid UEFA.

Could go 4-2-3-1 with Carrick/Barry and then Milner/Gerrard/Walcott with Rooney up top? ... yeah, it's gonna be 4-4-2 isn't it and the entire nation groans. If we don't get 4 points with the same-ish type players in the same-ish type system the press will muller him! :p

Our centre backs beyond Terry and Rio look weak though, you'd like to think that apart from playing the top, top sides in international or club football a very good centre back should be able to handle the basics like not getting caught in possession, clearing the ball, heading it clear and you know, running but Dawson seemed to struggle against Young Boys and his Tony Adams-esque turning wasn't great against Hungary either. Saying that, Rio and Terry hardly paired up in the World Cup Quals either and Upson and I think Lescott probably played as many games (yeah, I know).

Now Lescott and Upson are on the outs? Out the friendly squad and back for this means you really have no clue who will start!

I know it's already been said many times, but why SWP?!? Is he even likely to get into the Man City team? And why Carlton Cole, surely you leave those two out and call up Huddlestone and cover for RB? There must be someone English who can play right back and isn't Johnson?

This is it apparently:

prd_maxzoom_kb-76584.jpg

It'll be with blue shorts. :rolleyes:

Apologies for repeating what I said in the new kits thread in advance. I think this new England kit is an utter joke.

It's basically no different to the last shirt but they've removed the best part of it (the collar) in my opinion and replaced it with that stupid looking long white bit in the middle. Oh, and the only other difference is that the umbro logo is blue. It looks like an utter joke to me! Will anyone bother to buy this, seriously?

As for the shorts, why not just traditional navy blue? :mad:

Every time the new England kit comes out peope slate it :D Almost becoming a parody.

It looks nice. Everyone said the last kit was rubbish but when everything calmed down, we all realised it was awesome. I like it. Retro ftw

But this kit hasn't basically changed at all!

It's just a blue umbro logo instead of a red one, and no collar!

I mean, who is honestly going to buy it? Why would you fork out the money for this new home kit when the old one is practically identical? :confused:

That's the point I am trying to make.

If they made massive changes, we'd slate them for going away from the tradition.

But they have gone away from the tradition with the all white last time around, and this time the blue shorts.

What's wrong with good old navy blue? :mad:

That's the worst photoshopped picture I've ever seen.

As for the shirt, the collar makes it look crap, the old one with the decent collar was the best England shirt we've had in decades and the one I'll stick with.

Definitely with you on that jmr. :thup:

That's a lovely kit, although why are releasing it now? We've just come out of a bad World Cup and enthusiasm for the national team is at it's lowest. Who decided now was the best time to release it? And wasn't the 'old' kit with the collar only released a year or so ago?

Archived