A Simple and Effective Corner Routine- Defending and Attacking (No Bug)

To FM players who are looking for a simple but effective way of setting up a defensive and attacking corner routine without bug's, here it is, after hours of countless trial and errors, the best setup that emerged, thanks' to goals scored and lowest conceded.

DEFENDING CORNERS

Best Header and marker on marking "Tall player"

Next 2 good headers "near" and "far post"

1 player "man" marking

3 players "forward" and 3 players "back" or 2 "forward" and 4 "back".

ATTACKING CORNERS

Start with your best headers from Player 1 to 5

1-Near post flick on

2-Attack near post

3-Attack far post

4-1 player "Challenge GK" and 1 "attack from deep".

5-Stand far post

2 players Lurking (make sure one of them is your set-piece taker, that way you always have 1 player lurking)

2-Players Back

Corner Instructions (Team)- Set to " Short Option" or "6 yards box".

how many you score and how many conceded and who with?

Scoring an average 2 every 4/5 games and conceded 0 in 16 and 1 in 28 with Wolves and Getafe.

@Grimness sorry, man mark can do it too, although didn't work on my previous 2 saves, but it depends of marking attributes of players available.

To FM players who are looking for a simple but effective way of setting up a defensive and attacking corner routine without bug's, here it is, after hours of countless trial and errors, the best setup that emerged, thanks' to goals scored and lowest conceded.

DEFENDING CORNERS

2 Players (Near post and far post)

1 Defensive Midfield or Central Midfield (Man marking, so he can pick up the Lurking player outside box)

2 Strikers (Forward)

Remaining 5 players back.

ATTACKING CORNERS

Start with your best headers from Player 1 to 6

1-Near post flick on

2-Attack near post

3-Challenge GK

4-Stand far post

5-Attack far post

6-Attack from Deep

2 players Lurking (make sure one of them is your set-piece taker, that way you always have 1 player lurking)

2-Players Back

Corner Instructions (Team)- Set to " Short Option" .

can you post a sren shot to see which players do which roles please :D

You're having the attacking corner play the short option, and yet none of the players are actually offering one. What happens?

Try it and see what happens. I can't tell you what happens because it is unpredictable.

@cragswfc, that depends of your best headers, hence "Start with your best headers from Player 1 to 6".

well I score pretty a lot with the bug. But certainly I need someone has good first touch and decent long shot! Got Jo from Man C for my Birminham, scored over 50 goals this season. Bought for 1.4M and now weights 9M! Nice.

So this is more efficient than the bug?!

well I score pretty a lot with the bug. But certainly I need someone has good first touch and decent long shot! Got Jo from Man C for my Birminham, scored over 50 goals this season. Bought for 1.4M and now weights 9M! Nice.

So this is more efficient than the bug?!

think you've missed the point, this is for people who DONT want to exploit any corner bugs

Originally Posted by Magnakai Haaskivi

You're having the attacking corner play the short option, and yet none of the players are actually offering one. What happens?

Try it and see what happens. I can't tell you what happens because it is unpredictable.

So this is complete and utter bull**** :mad::mad:

How can it be anything OTHER THAN an exploit or bug?

madsheep, he's had you and everybody else. Zico, I wave a metaphorical yellow card in your general direction and call for this thread to be banned to the cheaters' sticky. :thdn::thdn:

So this is complete and utter bull :mad:

madsheep, he's had you and everybody else. Zico, I wave a metaphorical yellow card in your general direction and call for this thread to be banned to the cheaters' sticky. :thdn:

Hard to see how it can be a bug when you score 2 goals in every 4 or 5 matches, leading to a total of about 16 goals in the 32-40 matches played:confused:: Looks more like a solid and realistic corner set up to me

The reason for the unpredictable corner aim is simply because the corner taker decides him self what to do as no one is coming short, making the corner aim a mixed one. The other ones in this thread claiming having scored 40 goals + is probably not using this one as there simply have not been enoughh time to play those matches.

@Zico - This setup is almost identical to the one I use in my save, changing the settings when I chanhe players

So this is complete and utter bull :mad::mad:

madsheep, he's had you and everybody else. Zico, I wave a metaphorical yellow card in your general direction and call for this thread to be banned to the cheaters' sticky. :thdn::thdn:

Who "empower" you, for you to be waving yellow cards at anyone's direction in this forum or to call for thread to be banned?

I wave my methaphorical scissor's in your direction, just to cut off your "divine" wings, so you will come down off your "high arrogant cocoon", and start walking with your feet on the ground, amongst the remaining SI pleb.

"When you realise that the world doesn't go round your belly button, you will feel like 5 tons have been lifted off your shoulder, and maybe it could be the dawn of a better human being"

Take care and be happy.

Zico, have you tried having the distribution set to mixed instead of short option, and if yes, do you yield similar goal ratio?

Yes, I've tried it, but goal ratio is lower, with the exception being when corner taker pick up Lurking player to play the bug routine.

So this is complete and utter bull :mad::mad:

Angry that this single thread is distracting and below your intelligence (something you stated in the corner routine cheat thread)?

Cleon did say that 0.4 is a realistic rate of scoring off corners.

2 goals in 4/5 matches is 0.5/0.4 per game.

"madsheep, he's had you and everybody else" A strong statement. Either suggesting Zico's character as being deceptive or everybody else as gullible with no proof or explanation. Why don't you point out why it is an exploit or bug? Or better yet test the routine so you can make a strong case against it. I am sure if you can then no-one will question the decision to close or merge this thread as fair warning has been given.

Off-topic:

heh, I believe phnompenhandy angry reply is under the assumption that Vitoco77 reply in this thread, was referring to Zico10 set-up, but it's clearly that Vitico77 is using the corner set-up which the sticky post in the top of the tactic forum is to (and not Zico10's routine).

On-topic:

Most goals I see from corner is a cross to far post, and the one who attacks the far post usually beat the marker.

This can stay open, so long as the bickering stops now.

I don't see anything exploitative in particular with the routine offensively, although having "short options" corner setting, with no player set to receive as the short option, is a little strange.

Good to see some focus on defensive corner settings though. Something that a great many people just seem to leave to the default settings.

There's such thing as having an effective corner routine without it being an exploit you know!

If it's an intelligently constructed corner set-up, then well done to zico for coming up with it.

The only concern is this bit:

Which is, of course, the essence of the "corner cheat". But the problem is every team in real life does this.

I'll have a look at the set up and see what it's doing :)

There's such thing as having an effective corner routine without it being an exploit you know!

If it's an intelligently constructed corner set-up, then well done to zico for coming up with it.

The only concern is this bit:

Which is, of course, the essence of the "corner cheat". But the problem is every team in real life does this.

I'll have a look at the set up and see what it's doing :)

Tubey, the idea of having player lurking is first to pick up second balls from defensive headers and organize an attack or shoot, and second to stop quick counter attack.

@Heathxxx, yes, it may sound strange not having players receiving short option, but that's the beauty of it; from my observations, it allow the corner taker to choose his best option in a area "half 6 yard box and half penalti box", giving you better attacking options not only from those players close to 6 yard box, but those on the 2nd line as well (running from deep, attack far post, attack near post).

Yeah that's why I said teams do it in reality Zico ;) Nothing wrong with it.

Tested it. Very, very nice Zico. You don't score gallons, but it's built to accurate reflect a real life corner routine with six or so players spread out and attacking the ball from various angles.

Thumbs up from me.

Tubey, the idea of having player lurking is first to pick up second balls from defensive headers and organize an attack or shoot, and second to stop quick counter attack.

@Heathxxx, yes, it may sound strange not having players receiving short option, but that's the beauty of it; from my observations, it allow the corner taker to choose his best option in a area "half 6 yard box and half penalti box", giving you better attacking options not only from those players close to 6 yard box, but those on the 2nd line as well (running from deep, attack far post, attack near post).

Exactly :D

I am going to link to this in my thread:thup:

i was going to post a reply to phnompenhandy but seems a fair few people have beaten me to it. Needless to say, kindly refrain from suggesting im gullible (or other people for that matter), or my next reply may not be so polite.

Back to the setup. Zico, I'm loving it. Its nice to finally have a decent defensive corner setup, and while the goals at the other end are good (averaging 0.47 goals a game, since 4 of my 6 players are aerial monsters), its look of the attacking corners that i like the most, the variation is more like corners i'd see IRL. definite :thup:

Scoring an average 2 every 4/5 games and conceded 0 in 16 and 1 in 28 with Wolves and Getafe.

I am going to give the defensive set up a try because it seems like i conceed at least one goal every game from corners.

I will give it half a season and let you know if it was good or not.

"When you realise that the world doesn't go round your belly button, you will feel like 5 tons have been lifted off your shoulder, and maybe it could be the dawn of a better human being" ... WOW I'm going to write this one on my little black book of «Cool things to say» well done zico!!!

i was going to post a reply to phnompenhandy but seems a fair few people have beaten me to it. Needless to say, kindly refrain from suggesting im gullible (or other people for that matter), or my next reply may not be so polite.

Back to the setup. Zico, I'm loving it. Its nice to finally have a decent defensive corner setup, and while the goals at the other end are good (averaging 0.47 goals a game, since 4 of my 6 players are aerial monsters), its look of the attacking corners that i like the most, the variation is more like corners i'd see IRL. definite :thup:

Madsheep, the defensive setup, try to mix it, between 3 best markers on "Man-marking" and 3 on "Back", that way you are covered for any corner routine the AI can throw at you.

I'm testing at the moment and it seems to work much better, since not all players have good marking attributes to leave them all in Man-marking, plus you have the added bonus of your players having a better positioning in the penalty box.

"When you realise that the world doesn't go round your belly button, you will feel like 5 tons have been lifted off your shoulder, and maybe it could be the dawn of a better human being" ... WOW I'm going to write this one on my little black book of «Cool things to say» well done zico!!!

Obrigado Dimartino, I will send you my book once it have been published and your cheque will be on the post monday morning.:)

This can stay open, so long as the bickering stops now.

I don't see anything exploitative in particular with the routine offensively, although having "short options" corner setting, with no player set to receive as the short option, is a little strange.

Alright, I'll apologise to Zico for my language since I don't want to provoke bickering either.

In more moderate language, I DO see something exploitative in getting success from giving a nonsensical instruction - that's plain unrealistic.

I must have merged Zico's claims with the later post that claimed a stupid number of goals - if this 'tactic' results in a reasonable amount, then fair enough, but I still call it more than merely 'a little strange'.

I don't blame SI for failing to test every totally unrealistic instruction, although they should have fixed 'that' corner bug by now; however, if they have this thread brought to their intention, perhaps they will work the ME to ensure that any instruction that is designed to confuse a player results in a disadvantage, or, at the very least, taxes his 'decision' attribute and 'creative freedom' instruction.

I have my corners set up as follows.

GK - Default

FB's - Stay Back

CB - Attack Far

CB - Attack Near

RM - Keeper

LM - Deep

CM - Deep

CM - Lurk

ST - Flick

ST - Flick

I have my players set up like this and the CB bags plenty of goals as corners are aimed at the far post. If this is a bug I will delete my post, it doesn't score too many goals I got 26 from my CBs last season but about 3 or 4 of them were from freekicks.

Alright, I'll apologise to Zico for my language since I don't want to provoke bickering either.

In more moderate language, I DO see something exploitative in getting success from giving a nonsensical instruction - that's plain unrealistic.

I must have merged Zico's claims with the later post that claimed a stupid number of goals - if this 'tactic' results in a reasonable amount, then fair enough, but I still call it more than merely 'a little strange'.

I don't blame SI for failing to test every totally unrealistic instruction, although they should have fixed 'that' corner bug by now; however, if they have this thread brought to their intention, perhaps they will work the ME to ensure that any instruction that is designed to confuse a player results in a disadvantage, or, at the very least, taxes his 'decision' attribute and 'creative freedom' instruction.

To be honest, it does little more than "Mixed" would do. In fact, I'd go as far as saying there's no difference whatsoever! I understand your concern, but when you try it it's just a really well built corner routine. I think "Short" instead of "Mixed" is there because Zico may have coincidentally found more success when he switched it to Short, so he's kept it out of superstition. I've switched to Mixed and it's exactly the same - I think that's because once the player sees there is no short option available, he just delivers the ball in.

Madsheep, the defensive setup, try to mix it, between 3 best markers on "Man-marking" and 3 on "Back", that way you are covered for any corner routine the AI can throw at you.

I'm testing at the moment and it seems to work much better, since not all players have good marking attributes to leave them all in Man-marking, plus you have the added bonus of your players having a better positioning in the penalty box.

I have been using this setup and in half a season with my Hearts and South Africa sides i haven't conceeded a goal from corners :D compared to letting in goals every game from corners with my setup.

Thanks Zico10 for your brilliant defensive corner setup :D.

Out of your 10 outfield players, put 7 near the byline (2 challenge the keeper, 2 attack far post, 2 near post flick on or whatever, 1 stand on far post, 1 lurk outside and 1 stay back with the last one being the taker)

The scoring ratio using this setup seems to be quite realistic, so well done Zico, even if as Tubey said "mixed" would have similar effects.

However I could easily say there are too many bugs to avoid, if you want to create a decent corner routine without cheating.

Seems to yields an exploit wherein the guy attacking near post is almost always unmarked, gets the ball and slaps it in.

I get a similar result with mixed.

It's almost predictable as the main exploit. Not sure it happens enough to be classed as an exploit, albiet it certainly takes advantage of poor AI marking of certain zones.

ATTACKING CORNERS

Start with your best headers from Player 1 to 6

1-Near post flick on

2-Attack near post

3-Challenge GK

4-Stand far post

5-Attack far post

6-Attack from Deep

2 players Lurking (make sure one of them is your set-piece taker, that way you always have 1 player lurking)*

2-Players Back

Corner Instructions (Team)- Set to " Short Option"** .

*Why is it relevant to set the set piece taker to lurk? More specifically why does someone need to be lurking? It seems an important point, but you don't explain why?

**If no player is coming short, why select this? Where does the ball go?

*Why is it relevant to set the set piece taker to lurk? More specifically why does someone need to be lurking? It seems an important point, but you don't explain why?

**If no player is coming short, why select this? Where does the ball go?

Is relevant to have 2 players lurking, because if you leave only 1 and he is setup as a set-piece taker, no one will be Lurking.

The remaining answers please check post #23 Indie.

Is relevant to have 2 players lurking, because if you leave only 1 and he is setup as a set-piece taker, no one will be Lurking.

The remaining answers please check post #23 Indie.

Ok, thank you Zico.

So, for example

Gerrard takes left sided corners, Aurelio lurks? Good left foot.

Aurelio takes my right sided corners, and Gerrard lurks witha tidy right foot.

At present, my second best header (combined with jumping) is my Poacher, attacking near post, with my best heading CB on the near post flick. Other CB has the Keeper, and Target man has far post.

Thus far, there's a lot of ball going to the attack near post guy as he is seldom marked.

I seldom see the ball go to the lurker which is good as is not realistic more than once a match.

I'm still to pay a more detailed observation about how the choices by set-piece taker are made, because from what I've seen so far, it seems to me it has to do with his "Decision making" attributes. I've seen him picking up players unmarked on near post, penalty spot and far post, but it's difficult to be 100% sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally speaking, given the lack of marking options and the complete inability for the AI to anticipate even the most basic of simplistic attacks in this manner, I consider any corner setup other than "Go Forward" and "Mixed" to be an exploit.

Corner routines are a major tactical failure in FM, ruthlessly exposing the worst of the AI's weaknesses no matter how much you try to "avoid exploiting" the AI.

Set Peice Routines should not be used. They cannot be defended properly even if the AI could anticipate your threat. "Go Forward" and "Mixed" otherwise you are exploiting the game.

Personally speaking, given the lack of marking options and the complete inability for the AI to anticipate even the most basic of simplistic attacks in this manner, I consider any corner setup other than "Go Forward" and "Mixed" to be an exploit.

Corner routines are a major tactical failure in FM, ruthlessly exposing the worst of the AI's weaknesses no matter how much you try to "avoid exploiting" the AI.

Set Peice Routines should not be used. They cannot be defended properly even if the AI could anticipate your threat. "Go Forward" and "Mixed" otherwise you are exploiting the game.

I need to agree.

• 1 month later...

I MUST disagree! I have tried to set up a successful corner routine on FM10.0 with no results whatsoever. I thought I may be taking advantage of defensive weaknesses in the opposition and the strengths in my players (who are indeed very good), and have reaped no rewards at all. I find it completely unrealistic that players such as Federico Fazio, Steven Taylor, Curtis Davies, Mamadou Sakho, Edin Dzeko and Oscar Cardozo would score no corners at all in my first 12 games.

Sure, if I was getting 40 goals a season from corners I would change my routine, but between 12-18 goals in 38 games seems completely sound to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the AI just use "go forward" and "mixed" as well? If so I think I'll run with this in my new game.

Archived