Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

The exception to the rules about pictures are don't embed simply provide the link. I would imagine its the same for video.

Yeah i would just be putting a link in brackets next to the actual game it applies to if there are any goals that is though i've only had one 0-0 draw..... And oddly no penalties.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Links only, please. The hard and fast rule has been that you can link to pictures and videos and external information, but the body copy stays here in FMS.

Yes, that's a throwback to the days of dial-up and what not, but FMS is a words forum.

Please and thank you.

Links only, please. The hard and fast rule has been that you can link to pictures and videos and external information, but the body copy stays here in FMS.

Yes, that's a throwback to the days of dial-up and what not, but FMS is a words forum.

Please and thank you.

Well the template is pretty much like this,

Pre-match team news, story related team details

Leeds Utd vs Man Utd

team sheet

match report

FT: Leeds Utd 126-0 Man Utd (www.viewthegoalsifyouwant.com)< obviously not a random site like this but as i said link to the goals on youtube.

Other post match details.

Thats pretty much how it will be so if thats ok i'll get the first couple of posts down as soon as a mod's ok's the sample template thing above.

• 2 weeks later...
A quick question here about a possible story idea.

If I were to create a player in the editor, does anyone think doing a story about him would go down well(I know it's Football MANAGER, but why not?).

Sure, why not?

It's been done plenty of times. :)

A quick question here about a possible story idea.

If I were to create a player in the editor, does anyone think doing a story about him would go down well(I know it's Football MANAGER, but why not?).

Bens done a story like that before, I tried but failed.. Its a difficult story in my opinion to do but well worth trying it

Bens done a story like that before, I tried but failed.. Its a difficult story in my opinion to do but well worth trying it

Don't be too hard on yourself. You've done plenty of good work.

The sign-up stories do count in a way as well.

:)

Thats the kinda story i'm trying to pull off and it is tough but i'm enjoying doing it.

What it means is that you have to create a living, breathing, believable character within the game. That's the only way to pull it off.

Managers are often easier to create as characters. Going deeper and accepting the results the game gives you can be more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Was speculating about writing a story based upon AVB's views regarding the success of the Spanish game at fostering young talent up through the ranks. Was wondering if some folks knowing all things Premiership would be able to tell me which club they felt Hyde, Droylsden, Altrincham, Stockport, and Oldham might support in the Manchester Area. Citeh or United?

Was speculating about writing a story based upon AVB's views regarding the success of the Spanish game at fostering young talent up through the ranks. Was wondering if some folks knowing all things Premiership would be able to tell me which club they felt Hyde, Droylsden, Altrincham, Stockport, and Oldham might support in the Manchester Area. Citeh or United?

Hyde is big in the City camp now. I believe they changed their name from Hyde United to Hyde. Not sure if City's reserves play ther now. All of Hyde's seats have changed colour from red to blue as well. Top of the BSN as well I think is no coincidence as well.

Altricham is in Trafford only a few miles from Old Trafford

Droylsden I think are more in the United camp. Seemed a fair few United fans when Stocksbridge played their earlier in the season. Don't think my shout went down well when Liverpool scored in that match :o

Droylsden doesn't really support any of the teams one way or the other, although from what I hear there is more a following towards City these days and the ground is apparently just up/down the road.

Celtic, much appreciate the map and the effort to make it. I should restate the question now that I have the new facts from the mates weighing in...

Is it plausible for Hyde, Oldham, and Droylsden to be "affiliated" with Citeh within the game? And, on the other side of Manchester have Altrincham and Stockport be "affiliated" with Manchester United?

Is it plausible for Hyde, Oldham, and Droylsden to be "affiliated" with Citeh within the game? And, on the other side of Manchester have Altrincham and Stockport be "affiliated" with Manchester United?

It's your game. If you want to do it, make it so.

• 5 weeks later...

Just so's y'all know, I'm attempting a new sign up - now hold up, don't throw things at me just yet, this one is on a much smaller scale than my last attempt (rather than creating a whole new league system with 20 new teams and the whole drafting thing, this sign up involves just 4 real life clubs and really I only need around 6+ people to sign up at a time for it to work).

Basically I've picked 4 teams of roughly the same reputation from 4 different countries (Fulham from England, Osasuna from Spain, Hoffenheim from Germany and Cagliari from Italy) and the goal of the challenge is to make these teams the top 4 teams in Europe. The whole backstory/specific goals can be found in the thread.

FMSers that sign up will become joint chairmen of one of the clubs, they'll hire a fictional manager (each fictional manager has his own preferred playing style/media handling style/player handling style/transfer targets etc.) that they believe could lead their club to glory and I'll give updates after every 3 in-game months on how each club is performing. If the chairmen feel their manager is underperforming, they can sack him and hire a new one etc.

However the FMSers will be working for one overall chairman who owns and bankrolls all 4 clubs and wants his 4 clubs to be the best 4 in the world. If any of the clubs fail to meet his specified targets, not only do the managers get the sack but so do the chairmen (the FMSers), creating room for a new group of chairmen to have a shot at it. Really it's all explained in more detail in the thread so if you're interested, you can find the backstory and information on how to join in in there :)

• 3 weeks later...

Having been inspired by 10-3's fantastic Rat Pack and Ace of Spades stories, I'm going to take the plunge and start my own FM story in the next week or so. I've made a start on the save and the back story. Just want to play through a bit & get some actual story written then get on with it!

Any general tips?

Also apart from 10-3's stuff what other stories are great reads in here?

Thanks

Edgar...

You can always try to sort the stories by the numbers of views or the numbers of posts as a guide to weeding out the stories that many on the forum have appreciated over the years. OR you could find the threads that have the awards nominations...those also have good stories too...

• 1 month later...

Guys, Opinions welcomed.

I'm thinking of starting another story, the writing bug has caught me once more, but the story I'm thinking of is based on the Indian Football League. I also intend the story to be amusing.

Would anybody have a problem with that ? What do you think ?

Guys, Opinions welcomed.

I'm thinking of starting another story, the writing bug has caught me once more, but the story I'm thinking of is based on the Indian Football League. I also intend the story to be amusing.

Why would anyone have a problem with an amusing story based in India?

Guys, Opinions welcomed.

Go for it mate, as PM7 says cant see a problem with it...Looking forward to it

Guys, Opinions welcomed.

It was goals, goals, goals!

From the writing of your keyboard, chesterfan!

Though you belted us and flayed us,

By the livin' Gawd that made us,

You're a better man than we are, chesterfan!

:D

(With profuse apologies to Rudyard Kipling)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone? I am thinking of publishing 5m1w there and was wondering if there were a tool that would, I dunno, auto-post from wordpress.

It may not be a good idea. Am trying to figure out if any of the stories would work OK in that format and, if so, which and where to pick up. Any advice welcome.

Do any of the writers on here have experience with Wattpad?

I have a WattPad account, but I hardly post anything there. It feels a tinge complicated.

For a while I had an account running on Booksie. Its layout is simpler, but there are some bugs here and there. And, erm, the place is full of girls. :o

Serious answer: Someone posted a link to the site on here (ironically). I checked it out and thought it'll be an interesting place to post stuff as an experiment.

Not serious answer: I was young and naive and thought it'll be a cool way to impress chicks. :D

Archived