Patch 8.0.1. Shots to Goal Ratio not fixed - SHOCKING!! SI Please answer - believe to be related to Closing down and Long shots bug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Obviously you have not read Wwfan's Rule of One tactics icon_smile.gif

Mentality does not work as assumed by many people. Strikers stay in their positions, play normally and score a lot even at mentality 4, because the team's mentalities are GK 0, DC 1, FB 2 and MC 3.

I have won 269 out the 373 matches I played so far using this tactics,including winning the 2010 world cup with Ivory Coast, so there is no need to doubt the effectiveness of this tactics or the low mentality of strikers.

What I was getting at was that shots to goal ratio is indeed problematic and it is unrelated to mentality and tempo of your tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I have had a different experience. I always play with watching the full game and when I put any of my offensive players on a more defensive setting I tend to get more cautious players who, when finishing, tends to take their chances from a longer distance as compared to when I have them on more attacking mentality.

I guess we just have different experiences. My experiences so far with the game has not let me think that there is any bug on this part of the game. However, there is other parts of the game that need immediate attention and has needed so for years e.g. the transfer system.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mygel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feltus:

Agrees with Fred.

Almost every game I have like 3-4 times more shots than my opponent, and I aint winning, thats for sure..

Seem to have this problem only when im playing attacking football with quick tempo..

Anyone else who can confirm the same?

Feltus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm this, both from FM06, FM07 and FM08. I can do so because that is how the game is supposed to work. When you play an attacking and fast game your players will try to finish as much as they can. This results in loads of shots on goal but often low quality chances resulting in a low number of scores. If the opponent has a bad keeper you might be able to get more of the bad quality chances behind the net. With a low tempo and less attacking game you will have much less chances but those you get will be of good quality as the players tries to play the ball until they are sure to score.

Amazing that this is discussed as a bug when it has worked like this for the last 3 FM games at least. For those who want to master this kind of game, you should look at some of the many threads in the tactics forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Previous versions were never like this- where a quick, counter-attacking game would create 10-15 clearcut one v ones per game.

Anyway if SI think that a slow tempo game is the best way to carve out clearcut chances then they need to watch a real game.

IRL such a slow tempo game is easily defended against as the attacking team is playing infront of the defence and midfield rather than stretching them and getting in behind them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mygel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyvean:

When people create 15 shots on goal, with 5-7 one on ones in more than half their games, I believe that they have no need to master the game because they have already done it. So, move on please and come back when you have some idea -at least- of what we are talking about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 5 - 7 ones on goal does not necessary need to be good chances just because they are on goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What planet ARE you on- do you actually read peoples posts?

A one on one opportunity is arguably the best chance you can get in a game barring an open goal that is.

Now IRL you may be lucky to get one or two a game- in FM we are getting silly numbers of one on ones.

Its a bug so please stop arguing the toss for the sake of it. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyvean:

I have never heard of a manager though that his team creates 30 shots, 15 shots on goals and 7 1 on 1s in a game ever needing tactical advice.

Si... What are you doing to these people? Have you hypnotized them or something? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That gotta be the best post for a long time. You don't tell a manager who creates at least 5 one on one chances in a game to "check out his tactics"

the problem for me, is that i now need to give my strikers defensive mentalities to reduce their rubbish in front of goal.

surely this defies laws of football.

so ancellotti (sp?) tells kaka, lad, you need to be borderline defensive to be efficient in the footballing world. why? because you're missing SEVEN 1 vs 1's per match that's why...

defies all logic. i refuse to stop thinking football, and start thinking match engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warrenwwr:

the problem for me, is that i now need to give my strikers defensive mentalities to reduce their rubbish in front of goal.

so ancellotti (sp?) tells kaka, lad, you need to be borderline defensive to be efficient in the footballing world. why? because you're missing SEVEN 1 vs 1's per match that's why...

defies all logic. i refuse to stop thinking football, and start thinking match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you want your defenders to improve their passing you have to train them as attackers. This balances things out. icon_biggrin.gif

Is there any new news on this development?

Ive started a new game with a Blue sqaure side and still getting the same results.

Not been active in this thread cos Im on post monitoration so been restricted to what gets posts what doesnt. Cant even post on OTF anymore half my post gets posted a day or two later which doesnt really make sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warrenwwr:

the problem for me, is that i now need to give my strikers defensive mentalities to reduce their rubbish in front of goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You most definitely don't. I know it's worked for some, but you can still attack, I'm scoring 3-4 a game at mo without all this defensive nonsense.

defies all logic. i refuse to stop thinking football, and start thinking match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last part is sooooo correct. That's what you should do, because FM isn't football. And I also think it's ridiculous to claim that when defencing players are only shooting from their own penalty area... The more they try to attack, the more they approach the opposition goal? So only at some gung-ho they are trying to get as close as possible to score? Gimme a break icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDoul:

the problem for me, is that i now need to give my strikers defensive mentalities to reduce their rubbish in front of goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You most definitely don't. I know it's worked for some, but you can still attack, I'm scoring 3-4 a game at mo without all this defensive nonsense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

missed the point i'm afraid..sure you score goals, but the conversion ratio is absurd for the majority of games, in spite of the quality of your side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDoul:

You most definitely don't. I know it's worked for some, but you can still attack, I'm scoring 3-4 a game at mo without all this defensive nonsense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

missed the point i'm afraid..sure you score goals, but the conversion ratio is absurd for the majority of games, in spite of the quality of your side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My conversion ratio is fine tbh, and I'm not playing defensively either.

missed the point i'm afraid..sure you score goals, but the conversion ratio is absurd for the majority of games, in spite of the quality of your side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My conversion ratio is fine tbh, and I'm not playing defensively either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm...

you must be playing some other game. it is notorious that it occurs, in 12 pages, it's not just one person complaining. it is obviously an issue!!!

I am getting really upset on this issue.

I played near one season with frustration to see

a) my players missed open goals, icon_mad.gif

b)my players missed hundreds 1-on-1s, icon_mad.gif

c)the ratings of opponents' unknown goalies, who ALWAYS make world class saves (but have not been called by their coachs of national team OR have never been heard outside their cities even they, at those moment,were obviously better than Cech and Buffon icon_wink.gif ),

d)my goalie are still a dumb. icon_mad.gif

Waiting for 8.0.2.or 8.0.n, where n>2 icon_smile.gif

I didn't have this issue pre patch but since installing 8.0.1 I have to agree with many of you that my strikers are absolutely dreadful. Torres 14 goals in 48 apperances, I got the sack! He would literally shoot wide of an open net after rounding the keeper at times, with no one else near him, not to mention missing about 150 breakaways during the year by blasting straight at the keeper. In 54 games in my season, the opposition keeper was MOM 30 times! Must be a record.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kennec:

lol link should be

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tablehappyjz8.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh..good work i had a similar season with chelsea recently. palermo seems a force for me in serie a as well.

for me, it's not that i win, or draw etc...it is how i do so, or how it happens. i get 15 shots on goal, score 3..against arsenal, c'mon. it just doesn't happen. and i don't have an unrealistic number of long shots either, the mojority are genuine opportunities, the kind English fans pull their hair out for. wenger would scold the ai version of himself..in french.

i play defensivly and score loads against offensive teams.

altough sometimes i draw 0-0 against defensive teams and home in cups and CL alot.

it doesnt bother be as long as i never looose.

i think most players play with to many players offensive and get cought in back by counters and shots and cold keepers.

chelsea,barcelona and inter are the powerhouses exept me.

I think I found a solution for those, who liked the beta patch match engine more (such as me). IMO it was way more realistic than the 8.0.1. I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting this...

I have no programming experence at all and I don't know anything about the FM file structure, so you can call it an experiment. Personally, I was really disappointed with the new match engine and wanted to return to the beta engine, but I also wanted all the other changes in the new patch to work. This means I couldn't just install the beta back and play on. So I took a look at the file structure and tried to find out if I could keep the match engine from the beta path while everithing else - from 8.0.1. After experimenting with files from both patches (I installed the first one and copied all the files I was interested in, than installed the second one) I think I found the solution.

There are two folders in the "data" directory - "tables" and "match events". Try installing the beta patch, copying these two folders to some place, then installing 8.0.1 and substituting the new folders in the "data" directory with the old ones you just copied. Let me say again that I'm not sure about anything, somebody can comment on this, even SI (doubt it, though), but give it a try if you want. I found out that the engine did change and works in a suspiciously similar, even identical way to the beta engine. Of course I can only judje from my own feelings. My conclusion - this experiment was successful. I know that the beta engine is not perfect in many ways, but it's my decision to return to it.

These conclusions may also be true: the match engine is a seperate thing in the game and can be patched constantly, on a monthly basis, for example. This means the SI don't have to wait until February to give an all new 8.0.2 patch with match engine fixes only to find out that nobody likes them. The SI may adress this problem now and provide a patch or two to improve the match engine quite soon.

Any comments?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FM Underground:

I think we were used to winning almost every match in FM 2007 that it has turned into a fantasy.

For FM 2008 its very realistic. You can have world class strikers and still fail to score. Not only tactically defeated but also the team morale and conditions.

Good example: Bolton Vs Man Utd

Shots (on Goal)

Bolton / Man Utd

6(5) / 15(3)

But Bolton won 1-0 despite attacks from Man Utd.

And recently, Liverpool, lost to Reading 1-3 playing with the strongest squad.

I think the game is still good although it is frustrating when you get ridiculous shots on target but still cant score but it CAN happen in real life. So it can happen in FM 2008. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you really have no idea what is being talked about here, do you? You gave two real life examples to counter the tens of matches where the shots/goals ratio problem is happening in FM08. Two examples, and one of them had ManU with 15 shots on goals, not 30!!! And not in all the games! Are you 10 or something or unable to grasp what is being discussed here?

What's to expect though from a person who has a nickname like "FM Underground?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM Underground is a website unlike lyvean which means gay in indonesian. haha.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matt garside:

Absolutely disgraceful by SI, I actually find this game practically unplayable now, it is so predictable. Mainly if you have a one-on-one chance you will not score it and this alone drives me nuts, sort it out si!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id be interested in know what you feel needs sorting out (not that theres not an issue).

Im assuming most people just want to see their strikers scoring the one on ones, however that will mean the game is worse than it is now.

Currently I score no more than one a game, problably less. I probably create 3-6 a game.

So whats broken ?

Not enough goals ? No, one on ones are actually fairly rare, I dont remember seeing one at Southend United this season before last night.

What needs improving is the amount one on ones per match to be reduced and the conversion rate increased.

Overall the amount of goals shouldnt increase though.

Somehow I dont think some people would be happy with this though as they expect to be scoring more.

Guest kwilper

I'm also having this issue.

What's most concerning for my part is that I have no idea how I'm supposed to win a game I'm dominating both in SOT and possession if the opponent has God himself in goal. If they also manage to score with their one shot on target I'm screwed.

Of course this happens IRL sometime, but it happens too often in FM and thats a big concern.

I hope this is fixed soon.

I've noticed that some strikers seem not to have the 1-on-1 problem, so it must be a combination of attributes.

In my game, Olic of HSV has fired so many point blank shots directly at the keeper (his record is 4 in a row!!), I'm ready to sell him for free just to avoid the frustration.

But Guerrero, who is not as good as Olic, according to the Coach Report, seems to do fine in 1-on-1's. He is not as fast, which means he doesn't have as many 1-on-1 situations, but he seems much cooler when in front of goal.

In season 1, both scored 13 league goals, but Olic had far more attempts.

Has anyone else seen such behaviour?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roberto Chen:

Waiting for 8.0.2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> will have more chance of winning the lotto before that comes out any time soon.. icon13.gif <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roberto Chenicon_redface.gifr 8.0.n, where n>2 icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dont think they can be bothered to do more than 2 patches these days...they will just release another version with bugs instead and the whole cycle starts over icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 101east:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roberto Chen:

Waiting for 8.0.2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> will have more chance of winning the lotto before that comes out any time soon.. icon13.gif <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roberto Chenicon_redface.gifr 8.0.n, where n>2 icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dont think they can be bothered to do more than 2 patches these days...they will just release another version with bugs instead and the whole cycle starts over icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM07 was a great game so not sure what you are basing that comment on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jam Man:

FM07 was a great game so not sure what you are basing that comment on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I myself think that FM06 is way more better game than FM07, so its horses for courses I guess. I waited for FM08 so much and that's way I'm very disappointed. But he's got the point here, no FM will ever get rid of every bigger bug there is. They'll just release like two patches and then they'll have to concentrate on the next version. And as the new version will be "new", more new features and more new coding and starting over will result in samish flaws that they couldn't get rid of before. I'm hoping though that they would learn something but I'm afraid it takes many more versions and trial-and-errors when the most things will be polished closer to "perfection". But is it worth it then? Who thinks we'll see (or if most will want to) things existent in FM 2008 in say, FM 2012? Will there ever be a game like that? Or will SI be able to keep up with standards even then? I'm starting to believe that FM is getting too hard for them to contain or control and we will see as buggy game as FM 08 next year too. I surely hope that I'm wrong and somebody sees this post as a motivation or something. And I still don't know if we should be pleased about FML coming up. Will FM series be a test game to improve FML or will they help each other? Is there time or interest to focus on both when FM clearly isn't bringing that much money in the house at all? icon_rolleyes.gif

This one on one issue sounds really really bad as you have little point to develop your tactic now as good chance dont equal to goal.

However, at least the AI team suffer from the same issue too. For example if you defend deep and they will miss most of their one on one chance too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zeuS0r:

THIS GAME (8.0.1) IS FCKNG RIDICOLOUS!

WHY?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7225/ravennajuventusturingetcc2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big deal, you didn't even dominate the game possesion. For all i know, it may all be long shots.

Big teams dominate both.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vasilli07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zeuS0r:

WHY?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7225/ravennajuventusturingetcc2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big deal, you didn't even dominate the game possesion. For all i know, it may all be long shots.

Big teams dominate both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long pass does not mean long shots mate.

Also long pass does not mean not-big-teams.

Long pass style of course results in low possession but can create many short shooting chances by big teams.

WHY?

No shouting and watch your language

i just played 3 games at home with man u we had fulham, portsmouth and genk in the champions league.

we dominated possesion with at least 55% in each game also we managed at least 30 shots per game, and each ended 0-0!

i find this to be completley ridiculous most of the shots were from inside the box and at least 5 one on ones a game.

Like a lot of people I have been struggling with 8.0.1, dominating games but really struggling to score.

However after setting my team to a global creative freedom of 16 the goals have unexplicably started to flow and the frustration has lessoned to the point where I am actually starting to enjoy myself.

May well be a false dawn though.

Some people just simply don't understand the issue about one on one. It doesn't matter if u have 10 percent possession but you have 10 one on ones in a match. It has got absolutely nothing to do with your tactic when you have 10 one on ones and missed them all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joemaddog:

i just played 3 games at home with man u we had fulham, portsmouth and genk in the champions league.

we dominated possesion with at least 55% in each game also we managed at least 30 shots per game, and each ended 0-0!

i find this to be completley ridiculous most of the shots were from inside the box and at least 5 one on ones a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

try change your tactic?

having many chanses doesnt mean tactic is good.a good tactic make many goals in few chanses and control games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kennec:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joemaddog:

i find this to be completley ridiculous most of the shots were from inside the box and at least 5 one on ones a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

try change your tactic?

having many chanses doesnt mean tactic is good.a good tactic make many goals in few chanses and control games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

B/S

i play defensivly and score loads against offensive teams.

altough sometimes i draw 0-0 against defensive teams and home in cups and CL alot.

it doesnt bother be as long as i never looose.

i think most players play with to many players offensive and get cought in back by counters and shots and cold keepers.

chelsea,barcelona and inter are the powerhouses exept me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true at all- I play with a defensive, high tempo, direct, counter-attacking game.

The thing is if a tactic is creating 10+ clearcut one on one chances per game then really that tactic IS working, as irl even 3 one on ones per game is above the average.

Problem is that either the strikers are nerfed or the game autobalances in order to keep scores within statistically acceptable boundaries (which apparently is not the case- even though it does appear that way).

Its not about winning- its about a realistic matchday experience, something you obviously do not get; "it doesnt bother be as long as i never looose."

Also please sort out your spelling- its awful and needs patching.

Archived