French and German Leagues missing - third time,07,08 and now 09 - looking for refund

Have you tried loading up the default DB in the editor, save it as a different file, start a new game in FM but selecting the new DB?

not for 2009 Neji, I will try this and get back to you but it didnt work for 2008. im going for some food now so il let you know how i get on in an hour or so but tbh i wouldnt hold your breath.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This happens to me when I use the editor and try to load up the game with the custom DB - the english league disapears. Have you edited the german/french leagues? This could be the route of the problem.

no because as already stated im not using a custom DB

On my game there is no German national team. Since day one it's been full of grays. One of my star strikers at Barcelona (Mario Gomez) is world class and he never gets called up.

That is because of license issues between SI/SEGA and DFB.

On my game there is no German national team. Since day one it's been full of grays. One of my star strikers at Barcelona (Mario Gomez) is world class and he never gets called up.

Thats because SI does not have the german national teams license...

After so many seasons the German National team will contain "actual" players but only regens who are good enough for a call up.

Or so i have been led to believe.

give that man a cigar! thats pretty much what i think (and have been saying) barside, i have had the same hardware BUT different operating systems / clean installs / spyware checkers / firewalls / etc etc so i think it cant be software, it has to be some hidden hardware conflict. As a result i don't think SI is likely to figure out what is obv an unusual conflict and thus they are unlikely to be able to fix this just for me (its also not probably fiscally sensible for them to do a recode for an obv small number of people), and as this is hardly my fault I am requesting a refund.

If what you're saying is correct, you've probably ruled out an unrelated software-issue; If you want to go through extreme measures, you can try and install FM on a fresh OS to see if that works and gradually add more of your stuff until it breaks the game. Tedious, but that would hopefully tell us where the problem is. Maybe it's some bizarre security setting on your OS? I mean, being a CS grad, you may have tinkered with your security settings a bit to get it just the way you want it.

Also, if you have a spare machine, you could see if an install on other hardware helps. Or disconnect bits of hardware from your rig to see if that helps.

Any really unusual hardware? Relatively rare brands, stuff which installs lots of "extra software" like cameras, etc?

Perhaps if you'd be able to send a complete description of your hardware, perhaps SI can rebuild your rig on site and find the problem?

• SI Staff
Perhaps if you'd be able to send a complete description of your hardware, perhaps SI can rebuild your rig on site and find the problem?

I think the only thing we can do is try to replicate the problem. So far we've been unable to do this.

alboot - I'm going to look for your post in the Technical section and will see if I can get anyone to look at it. Pretty sure it must be hardware related as you have said.

With regards a refund, you will probably have to contact SEGA Customer Support to ask about that.

I think the only thing we can do is try to replicate the problem. So far we've been unable to do this.

alboot - I'm going to look for your post in the Technical section and will see if I can get anyone to look at it. Pretty sure it must be hardware related as you have said.

With regards a refund, you will probably have to contact SEGA Customer Support to ask about that.

thanks for your reply TER, could you PM me an email contact or phone contact for them? As I said if you guys can get it working id be happier because id rather be able to play the game, but at this point i just dont think thats likely.

This is just the strangest thing I read for a while (maybe just on par with the randomly scrambled names).

Let me just add a bit from the legal side.

If you buy something from a shop (and be it an online shop) and the product is faulty, then where people have to go for a refund is that shop. That makes Steam a bad choice.

If the game file actually runs fine on the vast majority of specs which seems to be the case, the game is not faulty and not even from the seller a refund can be demanded.

Then of course, the producer of the game, which is SEGA, can still choose to be nice and offer something although not legally obliged.

hth :)

This is just the strangest thing I read for a while (maybe just on par with the randomly scrambled names).

Let me just add a bit from the legal side.

If you buy something from a shop (and be it an online shop) and the product is faulty, then where people have to go for a refund is that shop. That makes Steam a bad choice.

If the game file actually runs fine on the vast majority of specs which seems to be the case, the game is not faulty and not even from the seller a refund can be demanded.

Then of course, the producer of the game, which is SEGA, can still choose to be nice and offer something although not legally obliged.

hth :)

I was going to say similar. I feel for your problem, Alboot. You're obviously legit, but your problem is rare and is obviously caused by some very unique hardware/software configuration. SI can not test every single configuration that there possibly could be so they have not found a way to fix this bug yet. This is going to be a possibility with any PC game because of the possible combinations of hardware.

I'd be interested to know if there is any sort of clause in the EULA that states SI are not responsible for games not working because of hardware configurations. That would resolve them of being obliged to refund the game, i.e. the game is not faulty, it's just 'the luck of the draw' in your case.

It would be out of the kindness of their heart if they were to refund...or SEGA.

Best thing that you can do is to work with them and see if they can nail down what is causing the conflict. That way you help yourself and any other customers who have experienced this issue. Demanding refunds, though I understand your frustration, doesn't help.

I hope you get it sorted and can play this fine game in all its detail.

Oh, and for Grade, and anyone else mentioning German national teams...what has been said is not allowed to be said due to licensing issues. Saying it could cause SI problems I think. You know what I mean.

i dont think it would be out of the kindness of there hearts, sega/si are a large company and normally i've found large companies became that way by being fair with there customers. Im hardly asking for a favour from them, just what's resonable, either a working game, or a refund. And ive already stating i am never buying from Steam again due to there policies.

i dont think it would be out of the kindness of there hearts, sega/si are a large company and normally i've found large companies became that way by being fair with there customers. Im hardly asking for a favour from them, just what's resonable, either a working game, or a refund. And ive already stating i am never buying from Steam again due to there policies.

But it is a working game...unless you can prove that a faulty disk is the reason you can not load France and Germany.

If it's a faulty disk then a refund is deserved. If it's a compatability with hardware issue then, sorry, but I don't think you can hold a game developer responsible for not being able to test every single hardware combination (and software) on the market.

If companies were obliged, or felt obliged, to offer refunds for every product that didn't work as intended due to a hardware compatability issue, then they would find themselves getting inquiries from every Tom, Dick and Harry that didn't read the minimum specs.

You take a chance when you buy the game is the way I look at it. I can remember being asked to check the minimum specs on a number of games that I have bought from Game, as they have said they can not guarantee refunds for a product I find I can not run.

But, as I said, because you're problem is so unique it may be in your interests to contact customer services.

Do your best to help SI identify the conflict and perhaps your enjoyment will be better in the future.

my PC meets the specifications required, from what your suggesting the fact the game does not work correctly on my PC is somehow my fault when obv there is an obsure error in the code that makes it incompatible with my, according to SI, spec machine. This would be due to a fault in the software, as the sofware was sold as compatable with my machine according to SI's own spec's.

I dont really get your point anagain as I already said a few times I am happy to let the SI guys try and fix this, but they tried the last two years in a row and couldnt, so i doubt they will manage. If they cant then I feel im at least morally entitled to a refund because I have been a loyal customer to SI for many years and bought the game in good faith.

my PC meets the specifications required, from what your suggesting the fact the game does not work correctly on my PC is somehow my fault when obv there is an obsure error in the code that makes it incompatible with my, according to SI, spec machine. This would be due to a fault in the software, as the sofware was sold as compatable with my machine according to SI's own spec's.

I dont really get your point anagain as I already said a few times I am happy to let the SI guys try and fix this, but they tried the last two years in a row and couldnt, so i doubt they will manage. If they cant then I feel im at least morally entitled to a refund because I have been a loyal customer to SI for many years and bought the game in good faith.

I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm saying it's an unavoidable problem. As a computer graduate you must know that there is a huge variety of possible combinations of software and hardware. However hard SI try they are not going to be able to test everything.

They issue a recommended system which you can use as a guide.

It is my view that you follow that guide and judge, for yourself, whether you can run FM.

The fact that you may have some unique combination that causes a conflict and prevents two leagues running is neither SI's fault, nor your own. It is just an unfortunate occurance.

You've also bought the game three years running knowing that something in your system is/could be causing a problem.

Like I have said, I have sympathy for your predicament, but I don't think SI should be held fully accountable here. If it happened to 75% of users, then yes. I think it's rude to demand that you be refunded, when you took a chance knowing the situation.

Am I clear?

yes I just don't agree with you at all. If a software company make a game that doesn't work on a small number of machines, why should those small number of people be made to pay for software that doesn't work?

Obviously neither the software company or the people involved want this situation, both entered into it in good faith, but I am not trying to run this game on some crazy hybrid PC, nor am i simply selecting the wrong options, its just a normal everyday PC, and the game will not run correctly on it. I think I am entitled to either a game that runs properly or a refund.

Why should buying software be like buying anything else PC's are an admittedly diverse standard, and what your suggesting makes buying software a lucky dip for the consumer.

Not really sure I can add much else...or should add anything else. :D

I guess you just have to contact customer services and see what they say. Hope they think like you and not like me. :eek:

I hope you also realise that I don't mean anything personal. I just don't see how this occurance could be avoided without significant time and effort...and money...to test on many, many systems.

I just think you're unlucky and that SI can't guard against random cases. They do their best to make the system requirements as accurate as possible.

I have just had a thought. Would it be possible to patch in the German and French leagues? Maybe they're not installing from the disk but can you get the files and add them manually? Maybe I'm barking up the stupid tree here, but it was just a random flash of a thought I had.

Or it's an error in some piece of hardware or software you have on your system that corrupts FM.

When you reinstalled Windows did you wipe the disk clean amd remove all peripherals etc then install FM before anything else?

PS I realise this must be incredibly frustrating for you.

interesting workaround, it would still mean i couldn't start games myself but i wouldn't mind trying it just to see if it worked. if your up for it eagelalan please upload a game somewhere with the french and german leagues and ill try running it on my copy.

As for reinstalling etc ive gone so far as to try on a fresh copy of both vista and windows x64 so i dont think its that. believe me whatever combination of software etc you can think off ive already tried.

alboot: one last thing I can think of is trying to run it with minimal hardware. Just video, network (for activation and Steam), memory, the hard drive you need to install the game on, keyboard and mouse. See if this works and gradually add more of your stuff to discover the offending bit (or combination of bits). But this takes a lot of time and effort... :(

Hi Alboot. I've been following this thread out of curiousity, although I haven't posted before due to my technical knowhow being somewhat non exisistant lol.

I thought I would upload a France / Germany save game, all leagues but small database (can do more if you would like !) I hope that this does work out for you - as I can see the frustration that it is causing :(

Further to the work around, if this "does" work perhaps you can ask someone to upload a database with the leagues / settings that you want, and upload it from the manager select point.

http://files.filefront.com/Alboot+1fm/;13071733;/fileinfo.html

thanks MrDrooper, really kind of you, i downloaded and tried your save, unfortunately no luck, wont load and gives me the below error message twice then a message that says cannot load the save game

RULE_GROUP_MANAGER::load() - cannot find rule group

interesting workaround, it would still mean i couldn't start games myself but i wouldn't mind trying it just to see if it worked. if your up for it eagelalan please upload a game somewhere with the french and german leagues and ill try running it on my copy.

I see that has been tried and failed :-(

As for reinstalling etc ive gone so far as to try on a fresh copy of both vista and windows x64 so i dont think its that. believe me whatever combination of software etc you can think off ive already tried.

Have you tried a Virtual Machine - this would basically eliminate the hardware.

Wow, this problem is very strange.

I'll suggest a few things, apologies if you have already tried them, i just took a quick scan over this thread, it's too early to give it a full read (01:10am)

Download a custom DB, manually install it, load the DB and see if those leagues are missing. I think that your DB is corrupt. I see no reason why it's Germany and France every time. Maybe the DB isn't installing properly, i dunno. But a custom DB is a decent test i think. There are some really good up-to-date ones over in the editor forum.

If that doesn't work, do you have another hard drive installed on your computer? Try installing Steam and FM to that HD. The reason I'm saying that is the only hardware problem i can think it may be is the HD, and there is a problem writing the DB to the HD.

If that fails, or you don't have another HD, i would go along with what Eagle Alan has suggested and set up a Virtual Machine using VMware. Install windows, steam and FM09.

Hopefully someone can get this sorted out for you mate.

Good luck

Guest ctrlkill

I don't really get how this problem can be linked to hardware.

The chances are that a file is corrupt somewhere.

When you reinstall the game, did you delete everything first. Things such as the fm 09 files in my documents (I don't know if there are ones installing via steam) and the files left in where ever you installed the game. Like dietspam suggested, a thorough restinallation of both steam and fm09.

Oh yea, out of curiousity, can you download fm 09 over steam? Have you tried that way?

You've tried a custom DB have you? I don't understand why it would be just France and Germany though.

I also agree that it doesn't sound like a Hardware problem to me :S Only hardware problem i could think it may be would have been the Harddrive. But i would expect you to have some other issues with other programs as well.

I would love to see this, i really would.

Hardware is a guess because he's said he's tried complete Windows reinstallations and the issue's been present in the two previous FM versions as well. And because it doesn't happen all across the board means it has something to do with the specific setup of his machine.

More precisely though, it's not necessarily the hardware itself; but drivers and "stuff which comes free" with hardware are also likely culprits. That's why if he wants to discover the root cause, he should start with a bare machine in terms of hardware and add components until the game breaks. But that takes multiple reinstalls of Windows too if you want to do this properly, so we're talking about a minimum of an entire weekend spent disconnecting hardware, uninstalling windows, reinstalling windows, installing and activating FM, etc., so I can understand that that's a bit too tedious to do.

I don't really get how this problem can be linked to hardware.

The chances are that a file is corrupt somewhere.

When you reinstall the game, did you delete everything first. Things such as the fm 09 files in my documents (I don't know if there are ones installing via steam) and the files left in where ever you installed the game. Like dietspam suggested, a thorough restinallation of both steam and fm09.

Oh yea, out of curiousity, can you download fm 09 over steam? Have you tried that way?

im struggling to see how it can be software, if you read the thread you will see i have gone so far as to reinstall my operating system, indeed I have tried 2 separate operating system (x64 and vista) with the same result. it also happened with both 2008 and 2007. believe me if it was as simply as a reinstallation i would not be on here.

im struggling to see how it can be software, if you read the thread you will see i have gone so far as to reinstall my operating system, indeed I have tried 2 separate operating system (x64 and vista) with the same result. it also happened with both 2008 and 2007. believe me if it was as simply as a reinstallation i would not be on here.

you no what mate, i really feel for u, i understand th problem your having and fully agree that you should be offered either a game that works or a refund, but i don't understand how alot ov the people posting in this thread have completely misse your point, hope everything gets sorted soon mate :thup:

I might have missed it, but i don't think you answered when i asked if the leagues were actually there in the pre-game editor

They were. This question is first raised in #41 by Neji and answered by the op in #46.

I'm making the same suggestion that I said.

Try to install either games on different computer!

As far as I can see the most that route would achieve is confirming the op's guess that it's his computer's hardware, and it most likely is. Everyone else is fine and that's more than enough proof imho.

Archived