FM09 - My biggest disappointment ever.

FM 08, classic version? (/speechless in horror)

True, it was classic how bad it was, with all bugs and exploits that were there.Only CM4 was more "classic " that way.Or you mistyped it and actually wanted to say comical, which is much closer to reality?

Hint, that's why it was easy to play it.If you said '07 i would most likely agree, but FM o8 ? C'mon, even some FIFA games were better then that.

Nice thing about FM is that if you don't like newest version , you can always go back to previous one easy.At least, that's what i did last year, and i didn't blame anyone for that, but was rather happy to get away for FM 08.

P.S. Arrows in FM 08 were perfect for people that wanted to exploit poor AI (not that it needed to be cheated). I am glad that they are gone, because i don't see any "super" tactics around anymore.

The thing is, it's all about opinions. I'd actually rank FM08 as my third favourite CM/FM game (behind CM01/02 and CM 96/97). It was the first time in ages that I'd managed a career lasting more than 5 years across a variety of different clubs. It was fun, and it's my opinion. If you liked another version more, such as FM07 (which I never really got into), that's your perogative, but you won't see me deriding your opinions/fave games as comical.

I'm going to make a point that is relatively off topic. If everyone who has spent any of their time bitching and moaning, about something that really has little or no effect on their quality of life, went out and spent a fraction of that time doing something positive we could quite possibly solve world hunger.

More positivity people!

And if people who praise this game, which has no impact on their quality of life, would go and spend the time they need for this praise to do something really positive then the world would be a better place.

Positivity should be handed where it is appropriate, not just for the sake of it.

Positivity often goes hand in hand with ignorance. And that isn't the way forward any more than pointless whinging.

Constructive criticism and bug reports with evidence are the only way to progress, but people need to make themselves feel better by letting off steam.

I'd say 5% of the unhappy threads on GD are actually useful, the majority are emotion filled unconstructive garbage.

Positivity often goes hand in hand with ignorance. And that isn't the way forward any more than pointless whinging.

Constructive criticism and bug reports with evidence are the only way to progress, but people need to make themselves feel better by letting off steam.

I'd say 5% of the unhappy threads on GD are actually useful, the majority are emotion filled unconstructive garbage.

I would like to point out that i am not advocating people being positive about things for no reason, i also agree that constructive criticism is a fantastic tool that should be embraced at all costs. However, in my opinion a lot of criticism that gets bandied about is not constructive (I am not just talking about FM09 here, this applies to criticism of anything) and it strikes me that a better way for a person to let off steam might be to do something positive thus moving attention away from a disapointing and negative thing and focusing it onto something that will have a positive effect on the person in question. Though i could be wrong.

I suppose it all falls down to if you are angered/disappointed by something then get rid of it, do something that you like.

I often wonder if there's some automated form to make these posts. Someone should make one since they all seem to always follow a standard procedure:

1. Say you have been playing this game for many years or editions. [Very important because it will let the rest know the OP knows his stuff and we can no longer shun away these "detailed" posts)

2. Say that this will be the last time you will ever buy the game. [Also very important to make people know this is very serious]

3. Make up a list of problems without providing any significant details. [No details are needed because of point 1]

4. State as fact that there are many many many people everywhere with the same problems. [VERY important to show that all these blatant problems with the game are spreading like a virus]

5. Last but not least, state that anyone standing up for the game is a brown-noser or extremely lucky. [somewhat important and useful as a preemptive strike]

OP got annoyed and skipped points 4 & 5. An automated form would have let him write this post quicker without any of those annoyances.

Spot on :thup:

3D was added cos the fans are the ones who kept demanding it and that it had been being worked on for several years, rather than the one year you presume.

I'll have an ounce of what you've been smoking mate!

The 3D match engine is shocking, Fifa 96 on the megadive looks better!

Jesus, we have decent enough G/Cards now to warrent SI putting a little effort into the 3D match.

Just getting back on topic here:-

STEAM are known for their ineptness when dealing with PC games, avoid this useless shower at all costs. They are about as much use as a handbreak on a canoe, have been for years.

The 3D engine is not about the look though. You are missing the point.

What is it then? This is the blurb from SI themselves:-

3D Match Engine - This year's match engine has seen more testing than ever before having been extensively beta tested in Football Manager Live for the past year.

The famous Football Manager match engine can now be viewed in full 3D with motion captured animations for the players. Sports Interactive has been working on the 3D match engine for nearly 3 years with the support of SEGA Japan's Virtue Striker team who provided the motion capture data and some of the animations.

You can now watch your matches in 3D from multiple camera angles and re-watch any part of the match by fast forwarding and rewinding the action using a new match time bar that flags the key moments in the game.

Its an attempt at "eye-candy", and failed.

No it isn't. This is the ONLY 3D engine so far that will give you an entire match over 90 minutes. FIFA and all the others can afford to make their 3D look great because it doesn't require all the complicated calculations.

Andyinuk, I disagree. The 3D is about the look, because I'm looking at it. But please feel free to elaborate your reply, because I want to know the reasons for you to write that comment.

If it was only about the look 3D would be compulsory. Then SI could show it off all they wanted. But that's obviously not the point.

Whilst the graphic quality is slightly below what I was expecting, it was clear it was never going to be gorgeous flowing graphics.

It's a tacked on feature, not the main selling point - for what it was meant to do it's perfect. I can now better judge whether balls are high/low and get a better feel for how the game is going on from watching it in a more realistic view.

Those who think the graphics are awful need to lower their expectations and use their imaginations a bit more.

No it isn't. This is the ONLY 3D engine so far that will give you an entire match over 90 minutes. FIFA and all the others can afford to make their 3D look great because it doesn't require all the complicated calculations.

You wanna expand on that statement?

Those who think the graphics are awful need to lower their expectations and use their imaginations a bit more.

Well, if thats case, you may as well smoke some funny fags and dream about winning trophys, rather than shell out cash for a game that actively promotes its 3D engine.

It doesn't say anywhere "cutting edge graphics", it's a 3D respresentation of the match engine and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Maybe not, but if you read the Manufacturer's Description of the whole game, its promoting its 3D engine above all else, so people will think that its one of the major selling points of the game, but its not is it? Its just a botched "bolt-on".

Andyinuk, I disagree. The 3D is about the look, because I'm looking at it. But please feel free to elaborate your reply, because I want to know the reasons for you to write that comment.

For me, the 3D is a tactics tool, not about looking photo realistic. I would be equally happy if they were just wireframe stick figures, as long as the movement with/without balls etc make sense.

Maybe not, but if you read the Manufacturer's Description of the whole game, its promoting its 3D engine above all else, so people will think that its one of the major selling points of the game, but its not is it? Its just a botched "bolt-on".

It is promoting the ability to watch the games in 3D, which you can do, it makes no reference to the quality.

You may feel it is a "botched bolt-on" but many others don't, I'm no denying you your opinion but it's hardly a case of false advertising as you seem to be insinuating because it didn't meet your expectations.

The first time the 2D view was introduced it got a very mixed reaction so the 3D release was always going to be similar, no doubts it will be worked on as the series progresses but as it's been implemented it's functional if not pretty.

Given how many people have been playing what is basically a glorified database, graphics was never going to be a priority, I still know loads of people who play in commentary only mode - pretty graphics isn't the market they're going for nor is it what the majority of loyal fans want especially if it's at the expense of something else.

I one of those that don't like the 3D and I tell you why I hate them. Graphics seems like taken out 80's or 90's and also you probably saw the videos that SI released and saw the same has me. Of course specially know that Fifa Manager 09 has graphics like Fifa09 or sooner and i bet that minimal requirements is probably about the same. So basically, yes 3D is pretty awful for the minimal requirements.

I loaded all the leagues, with 14 leagues playable, the rest view-only, and except the 5 second freeze after a match, and the occasional 1 or 2 minute freeze (mainly my fault due to having the game on windowed mode, and clicking on msn too much, freezing it :), I find it faster.

Speaking of FM08, I haven't uninstalled it yet, but will do now, too make some space (Even though I have 19.9 GB left of one hard drive memory, and an almost empty hard drive with 69.2 GB hard drive memory);):cool:

Retro 3D is cool for me.

The first time the 2D view was introduced it got a very mixed reaction so the 3D release was always going to be similar, no doubts it will be worked on as the series progresses but as it's been implemented it's functional if not pretty.

Worked on??? According to SI, its been in Development for 3 years!

I'll have an ounce of what you've been smoking mate!

The 3D match engine is shocking, Fifa 96 on the megadive looks better!

Jesus, we have decent enough G/Cards now to warrent SI putting a little effort into the 3D match.

As has been said, it's not about how shiny it is. Just because it doesn't have next-gen graphics doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on. Do you have any idea how much work goes into FM that has to be fit into a year?

tactics in fm2009 are insane. i cant believe u actually need them now.

in past fms, i've just done default instructions of striker/cb etc. for everyone and edited the 2 midfielders a bit and i won EASILY.

now its much bettr cos u actually have to workout ur tactics, edit them for games and certain matches even with big teams. a lot more time but much more deserving. :D

'your biggest disappointment ever'? its a game....some people just need to get laid.

anyway back to the topic, it is just harder and more in-depth and more realistic if you actually enjoyed playing it instead of just fishing the game for bugs then there would be no need for this crap. and as Aaron has said above me, when you find a good tactic what works it is much more rewarding.

'your biggest disappointment ever'? its a game....some people just need to get laid.

anyway back to the topic, it is just harder and more in-depth and more realistic if you actually enjoyed playing it instead of just fishing the game for bugs then there would be no need for this crap. and as Aaron has said above me, when you find a good tactic what works it is much more rewarding.

You don't have to fish the game for bugs. They are evident from the start.

Some people need to open their eyes. :)

well i haven't found 1 so far. apart from 6 injuries in 1 half what i thought was a bug but then i realised was down to my training. anyway, it is mainly the customers' fault for these bugs as they rushed SI into releasing the game imo but then the fickle fools complain when it is released.

well i haven't found 1 so far. apart from 6 injuries in 1 half what i thought was a bug but then i realised was down to my training. anyway, it is mainly the customers' fault for these bugs as they rushed SI into releasing the game imo but then the fickle fools complain when it is released.

I have no words...

When something is rushed you see it from the end result and not from the timescale of production.

Care to look up the definition of 'rush'?

Perhaps it was just poorly developed, perhaps they were lazy and couldn't be arsed, perhaps they were just unlucky, perhaps they made a leap of faith in a new technique and it didn't pay off.

It could be any of these things and more, but it certainly wasn't rushed.

I hope the bit about one league playable and a small database is tongue in cheek. I run about 20 leagues on 09 which is about the same as in 08 and i haven't noticed alot of difference in speed. And i don't know anyone who can honestly play to 2015 in less than 20 hours and in fact 50 hours is still less than 10 hours to play a season which imo is not alot.

In my current game

DATE: March 12 2016

Time Played: 10d 6hs 43min = 247hs

Thats around 31hs per year

5 mins per day

35 mins per week, half of which I believe I spent watching live matches on 3D

I don't find it harder at all. Quite the opposite, but it is alot more frustrating, because the 3D engine illuminates how weak the engine really is much more than 2D ever did. In reality SI just released the game 6-10 months too soon - but I don't really blame them - as long as they will release more than two patches of the game, and will listen to people and do more reseach on reported bugs/shortcomings of the engine.

It is okay with me that some people believes in the illusion that fiddling around with instructions during match play works for them - I for one, use a predefined one, and only sub players that had a weak day, and yet I win the league and ChL often times - just like any other FM game.

I have come to live with the fact that defenders act as cones, goalkeepers can pass like a QB(even if the stats all show they only complete 25% of their passes), strikers excel in passing it straight to the opposition keeper. In short that most goals are godawful chances, and caused by rookie mistakes of your team or AI team. The results as always are bearable. I think so many other areas(though less important) make the game worth playing - even if this version stands out as the only one I don't play for 8-10 hours straight.

Are we therefore to deduce that getting laid is the biggest disappointment in your life? You must be a real Don Juan.

Fully agree with OP - FM2009 is one step too far that sadly has proved to be a challenge that SI could not quite pull off. The 'quest' for the 3D engine (which is pitifully slow and unplayable if everyone was honest to themselves) appears to be SI's downfall. I have enjoyed every game SI have made and feel that FM 2008, which is fantastic and just keeps me hooked, is the pinnacle of the series and despite SI's best attempts I don't think it will be bettered by a version that remains actually playable.

Fully agree with OP - FM2009 is one step too far that sadly has proved to be a challenge that SI could not quite pull off. The 'quest' for the 3D engine (which is pitifully slow and unplayable if everyone was honest to themselves) appears to be SI's downfall. I have enjoyed every game SI have made and feel that FM 2008, which is fantastic and just keeps me hooked, is the pinnacle of the series and despite SI's best attempts I don't think it will be bettered by a version that remains actually playable.

But in all fairness 08 was a total disaster until the Feb 14th patch ..

While maybe not my biggest disappointment ever, this game officially sucks, as does any game where more time is spent trying to get it to work properly than actually playing it. Refunds please. 3D just refuses to work, which makes FM 2009 a glorified update of FM 2008, and to make matters worse SI seem to just dodge the subject all together, how about some help getting the 3D to work??

Archived