League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

• SI Staff
What an absolute load of horse manure.

Luton are getting everything they deserve right now. It's about time football clubs were held properly accountable for their poor financial records. Long may it continue.

Oh yes, who do you support again? And yet you do not even clamour for Chelsea's debts to be punished?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes, who do you support again? And yet you do not even clamour for Chelsea's debts to be punished?

I don't see how supporting a club in debt and believing that clubs with debt should face penalties when they go wrong are mutually exclusive?

I'd be very accepting if United were punished for their debts, the same with Cardiff. However, it's not actually about the debts themselves is it. Thats an incredibly narrowminded and black and white viewpoint to the situation.

If clubs are able to support their debt - then they should be allowed to do so - if however, that debt becomes unmanageable for whatever reason - whether directly or indirectly linked to their gambling, they should be punished.

Many businesses use debt and finance packages as a way of helping cashflow and stimulating growth. I don't see the problem with football clubs doing that. However, for far too long now, football clubs have used insolvency as a get out and an excuse for poor finances to allow them to get away with it time and time again.

Possible superb news for Chester - Jon Walters looks like he could be moving to Stoke/Wigan/WBA for approx £2m - we have a 20% sell-on clause, so could theoretically have £400k added to the books, on top of the Leeds Utd game (Buying ticket today) which is on Sky Sports.

Oh, and we've completely resolved the PFA issue with Dinning and Butler. And signed Paul Taylor on loan (Finally signed him in some form!). AND we've a new club shop opening today in the City Centre - here's to progress under Vaughan!

Bastians by any chance?

Sadly not. I didn't realise he was even available at first - then we were linked with him last week, but apparently he's signed for Young Boys Berne in Switzerland. Can't really begrudge that since they're in the UEFA Cup this season. Forest are mad to let him go, I'd have loved to have had him back.

Some of the players we've been linked with are ridiculous: Ade Akinbiyi and Peter Enckelman are two of them, just to give you a flavour :)

Seems like we might be signing Darren Currie - that's a rumour that won't go away - but apparently Brighton are interested too.

Really dont know who we are going to sign. Need at last 2 more strikers and a left winger. Got 2 strikers on trial Ben Richardson who was released from Forest, and Greg Pearson from Bishops Stortford. We have also been linked with Delroy Facey, we need a target man and he must be better than Jason Lee :D wouldn't feel confident with Spencer Weir-Daley and Forrester as the starting two come Bradford.

Been one or two going ons at griffen park the last week or so.

Signed marvin williams from yeovil along with charlie macdonald from southend.

Played ipswich town on friday night and even though we lost 2-0 we played well. Once out 8 new players gell ( fingers crossed that will go up too 9 or 10 with a new cb) then we should be ok this year.

We've also got brett johnson on trial, anyone got any info on him? He played at left back and looked ok, but i hear he plays best as a cb?

On another note, I'm not the biggest luton fan (wanted us to relegate them on the last day!LOL) but -30 is the biggest joke in football after mr blatter! I f they take 6 points off us next year and stay up yhen i will be happy for them

Seems like we might be signing Darren Currie - that's a rumour that won't go away - but apparently Brighton are interested too.

He has almost 100% signed for Brighton I think.

exactly the Football League should act to prevent things getting so far in the first place, at the moment the punishments are the equivelant of a thief taking something from a shop and the next person to walk in being arrested for it. The perpertrator gets away with it scott free and yet the innocent party (new owners) get the punishment. I accept however that the club as a whole should accept some responsibility for it.

I think that the best think that can happen out of all this is that the Football League should sit down and actually look again at the whole finances system of the leagues and put procedures in place for administration such as a universal agreement on punishments agreed by all football league board members and also penalties other than points penalties being considered as its clear that at the moment it is doing nothing to improve the financial running of clubs.

Some of the penalties i'd like to see considered are maybe limiting squad size / players or imposing a maximum wage to force club to live with in its means. The football League should also have a system in place to guide and assist the clubs out of administration and to more prudent financial management where they regularly check the clubs finances over a period of time.

Just read this and like to say that this is a spot on post. It seems to me the FL are always reacting to issues rather than having stringent procedures in place to stop/minimize the financial problems of clubs. I'd like to see a FL rep assigned to each club, who must be given full access to accounts etc. Nip any tomfoolery in the bud.

We've also got brett johnson on trial, anyone got any info on him? He played at left back and looked ok, but i hear he plays best as a cb?

We signed him as a left back, did ok. He moved to centre half when our first choice got injured, played fantastically well there and was hugely important in us making the conference playoffs that season. Also, I believe, despite being a first team regular for half a season he didn't pick up a booking. As a result of his performances he got the move to Northampton (too early imo) and has spent his time there not playing. If he can regain his Aldershot form then he will be a top League Two centre half.

Can I have any info on Justin Miller (ex Port Vale) and Lee Canoville (ex Notts Co) as both trialled with us on Saturday?

soap opera carries on at Rotherham, both rumours we've agreed a cva & we've failed a cva released today, sooner they announce something either way the better. That way we can get on with strengthening the squad.

Boulding still training with us too :( wish he'd feck off somewhere else sharpish

soap opera carries on at Rotherham, both rumours we've agreed a cva & we've failed a cva released today, sooner they announce something either way the better. That way we can get on with strengthening the squad.

Boulding still training with us too :( wish he'd feck off somewhere else sharpish

Worryingly unenthusiastic about the start of the season. Probably because I haven't suffered the ritual haranguing at the ticket office to renew my season ticket this year (I sent a friend with a cheque as I was too busy with work to make it down in time for the cheap deal deadline)

I was at the Brentford v Ipswich game, thought you looked decent.

Wouldn't be surprised to see you up around the playoffs, given your form in the second half of last season after Andy Scott came in.

Like i said, think we did ok, be better when gelled. Some of our youngsters look like that they might be able to step up a level.

Yeash we improved a hell of a lot under scotty-though saying that, we were that bad under butcher we couldnt've have got much worse! Still think the board were a bit hastey giving scott a 5 yearb deal, but they're backing him up with cash for transfers so it could work.

Really lokking forward to the season now (though this might change by the end og aug!), anyone else?

• SI Staff

glad I didn't go to Hitchin tonight, lost 4-1 and by looks of it many of the players were second year youth teamers (though one of the first years did play defence, more of a tragic sign of lack of defenders than his class I assume)

tonights trialists:

Asa Hall-attacking midfielder just released by Birmingham. Played on loan at Shrewsbury last season (second trial)

Nigel Atugana- French centre back. Playing non-league in the UK last season.

Aswad Thomas- 18 year old centre back/full back from Charlton. Played for Accrington on loan last season. (second game)

Andy Taylor-Former Man Utd youth player and Exeter full back.

Jamie Tolley- Former Shrewsbury & Macclesfield midfielder. (second game)

Kevin Watson- Experienced holding midfielder who has played for Brentford, Reading & Colchester (second game)

Jasper Jorgensen- Young, 6’2 Esbjerb striker Striker (only arrived in the country today)

Ryan Edgar- Former MK Dons and Canvey Island Midfielder/striker (second game)

Brings the trialist count up to 11 used so far, 5 more have been invited to join training from Wednesday. Not clear if the guys from Saturday have left or just couldn't play 2 games in 3 days at this stage of pre season

Rumours of Tolley, Jarvis and Watson already agreed to terms with a couple of more Harford wants to agree to terms

christ your in deep trouble if you are signing watson to play as your holding midfielder.

Must admit i am a bit meh about the season myself so far, think its down to never going to don valley to pick a seat & also only sending cheque through the post to pay for it. still see if i get a bit more enthusiasm after satdi assuming i cba to lose the overtime.

I went to another friendly tonight, Boreham Wood v Dagenham & Redbridge

Really turgid first twenty minutes, but it wasn't too bad after that. Dagenham are not going to upset anybody else's promotion bid though.

glad I didn't go to Hitchin tonight, lost 4-1 and by looks of it many of the players were second year youth teamers (though one of the first years did play defence, more of a tragic sign of lack of defenders than his class I assume)

[/size][/font]

Except for Aswad Thomas and Jamie Tolley the trialists were all very poor. I'd definitly like to see them two play against higher opposition.

A youth team player called Scott Sinclair came on and played quite well.

Looks like we have beaten Brighton off and are going to sign Darren Currie. He is apparently undergoing a medical at Saltergate, having agreed a three-year deal. That’s an official ‘text update’ from the club, so they’re obviously confident it will go through. Another feather in Lee Richardson’s cap really, if he’s managed to get him from under the noses of a club in League One.

He’s decent is he?

• SI Staff
Except for Aswad Thomas and Jamie Tolley the trialists were all very poor. I'd definitly like to see them two play against higher opposition.

A youth team player called Scott Sinclair came on and played quite well.

couple of things to check for youth team data

1) Scott Sinclair came on and played up front didn't he, have him down as striker but not 100% sure

2) Where did Ashley Deeney the young first year play, think he is a right back but could be wrong. Certainly a defender

Looks like we have beaten Brighton off and are going to sign Darren Currie. He is apparently undergoing a medical at Saltergate, having agreed a three-year deal. That’s an official ‘text update’ from the club, so they’re obviously confident it will go through. Another feather in Lee Richardson’s cap really, if he’s managed to get him from under the noses of a club in League One.

He’s decent is he?

He does the occasional good cross or pass. However overall he isn't that good, very very slow.

couple of things to check for youth team data

1) Scott Sinclair came on and played up front didn't he, have him down as striker but not 100% sure

2) Where did Ashley Deeney the young first year play, think he is a right back but could be wrong. Certainly a defender

Sinclair seemed to be on the left of midfield but I remember reading a youth team report which said he was a striker. Deeney played right back.

Bury had their first pre-season game against Radcliffe Borough today. Won 4-1 with a decent performance. Bishop didn't play due to a problem with his calf muscle and Wayne Brown didn't play as he was down south with his family.

First half was a mixture of youth team and trialists. They played quite well and scored two decent goals. Second half we we good. Dorney was fantastic and is one to look out for next season. Ricky Anane had a good game as well and both look like they will play quite a bit next season,

He played on the left for Brighton before. Micky Adams is not amused.

3 years, at his age, is something of a risk though.

Yeah, he's 34 in November so I did raise my eyebrows a bit when I found out it was a three-year deal. Mind you, it's the only thing we can offer really, especially when we're up against bigger clubs. Full credit to Lee Richardson for pulling it off. Quite honestly I can't see him still being at the club by the 2010/11 season, so I doubt he really cares how long the contract is :D

• SI Staff

Darren Currie doesn't care about a clubs league postion or anything else apart from a nice pay check, eyes must have lit up at a guarenteed wage until he is almost 37. Decent cross etc but lazy sod who has lacks pace or acceleration

Yeah, he's 34 in November so I did raise my eyebrows a bit when I found out it was a three-year deal. Mind you, it's the only thing we can offer really, especially when we're up against bigger clubs. Full credit to Lee Richardson for pulling it off. Quite honestly I can't see him still being at the club by the 2010/11 season, so I doubt he really cares how long the contract is :D

We've just given a 35 year old a two year deal.

Goalkeeper-wise, we're being linked with a loan move for Blackburn's Frank Fielding:

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10303~37396,00.html

That's assuming Friedel doesn't leave and go to Villa; if he does it will probably fall through. If there's nothing sorted by Saturday, we will be playing 17-year-old Dan Whatsize in goal for our first friendly against Gainsborough.

• SI Staff

He’s decent is he?

Does a quite splendid 'feign to cross with one foot and change it to the other foot' trick. Every time. Sky ought to show a montage of him doing just that, and loop it on its own channel, it's so perfect.

Crystal Palace are allegedly offering us players on loan according to the Luton News. There is also a rumour Chelsea would like to loan some reserve/youth players (Schevchenko possibly?).

I can see it being true about Crystal Palace offering us players on loan though as Calvin Andrew seems to be extremely close to signing for them, but not for anything near the 400K suggested. I like Andrew but I can't see him making it in the Championship, would have done well for us in League 2.

Well brentford played there second pre season game last night, away to bromley and lost 2-1!

The team was a mix of youth and reserve players.

wasnt there, but by all accounts we were the better team but just couldnt score, sound like our last two years!

AFC wimbledon away for us on sat.

• SI Staff
Crystal Palace are allegedly offering us players on loan according to the Luton News. There is also a rumour Chelsea would like to loan some reserve/youth players (Schevchenko possibly?).

I can see it being true about Crystal Palace offering us players on loan though as Calvin Andrew seems to be extremely close to signing for them, but not for anything near the 400K suggested. I like Andrew but I can't see him making it in the Championship, would have done well for us in League 2.

sounds like the actual fee for Calvin is £40,000 which still isn't that bad as he isn't championship quality and wouldn't have fancied him to score 20 goals next season which we neeed our starting strikers to do next sseason if we want to stay up. Palace have a good youth set up and wouldn't mind a couple of their young up and coming players for the season on loan, allegedly they have a friendly tonight and Harford's going to look and see who he wants on loan Odds on Grant coming back on load this season from Chelsea maybe ?

pre season means nowt - back to earth with a bang when we beat you first game of season :)

oh and the boulding brothers finally fecked off and are training with Bradford \o/

Rory Boulding got to be pretty embarrassed in having to try & rely on his brother to get him a contract.

Dont know if there are any Shrews fans in here?

2 quickies - 1 thanks for signing Holt from us :D and 2, I grew up with and played alot of football with Scott Bevan and just noticed he is your keeper - good luck to him, class lad and with a bit of luck could have had a better career (no offence to you guys)- lets hope this is a good kick start for you both :thup:

Just read someone on a Luton site saying that they heard on BBC 3CR that we are apparently hoping to exit administration tommorow. I hope it is true and not someone winding people up as that is very good news.

David Bell seems to be moving to Norwich for £600,000 as well which is a good amount in my opinion.

• SI Staff

can't get why Bournemouth can do transfersa when still in admin, one rule for us while the others etc....

few comments about that deal in out forum, life time Chester City fan whose known the other guy in the take over for two weeks, there's a guy looking to make some profit at the expense of the club if there ever was one

Luton might not be out of admin till early next week, belive the investors have been in discusions over the last few days and we have till Saturday to agree to FL terms of getting the share back so paperwork should be done by early next week

Big positivies thoug, season tickets sales are 10% to 20% up on this time last year despite everything, could with a push end up with 3,500 season ticket holders which is large amounts of income in the account and a higher wage limit if we want to use it. Also deal in place with new shirt sponsor who should sign on thre contract next week.

Andrew and Bell both off, both have had medicals at their new clubs, may well be confirmed tommorw but also with Currie deal hasn't been confirmed so may be for legal resons we can't complete on deals until out of admin. Still good news as those 3 players going knocks a colleective £10,000 a week off the wage and means trialists can be signed if we want them, Plymouth linked with Spring and selling him would mean over £15,000 a week off the wage bill in total of player sales and over 1 million pounds raised hopefully.

All the finances to complete the take over and exit admin are there, signed and secured. Just waiting for it all to be rubber stamped now. We still are in an embargo tbf, but it's been relaxed to allow us to sign loan players and players without a contract. We were never going to buy anyone, so it's as good as lifted for us.

Don't know if the relaxed rules are because we've proved that we're on the edge of leaving admin, or because its getting close to the season and we currently can't put a first eleven out without a couple u18s in there to fill gaps. Our last pre-season friendly consisted of the assistant manager and a reporter for the local paper on the bench (both had to play second half).

In regards to the Chester fan, he's part of the Sport6 group that are putting investment in behind Mostyn. Sport6 have been looking to invest in a football club for a while, looked at Chester a while back and deemed it unavailable. Could be a massive coincidence that Sport6 looked closely into investing in this fellas lifelong team, but i'd wager that they/he weren't solely interested in ripping a club apart to make money.

OFFER TOO GOOD TO REFUSE FOR CURRIE

Darren Currie has revealed why he turned his back on a transfer back to Albion.

The 33-year-old midfielder is poised to move from Luton to Chesterfield on a three-year deal.

Currie had seemed certain to be back at Withdean in time for the new season under Micky Adams.

He admits his last-minute decision to drop into League Two will have upset the Seagulls but insists the offer of a long contract was too good to refuse.

Currie said: “I was very close to joining Brighton. I know people there are not happy at my decision.

“I don’t really want to fall out with anybody at Brighton.

“I still think a lot of the people I know and who I worked with there but I made the decision in the best interests of my family.

“I’m 34 in November and I’m at a stage of my career where a three-year contract is difficult to turn down.

“I’ve got two kids and I’ve spent a big part of my career putting myself first. Now it’s time to put the family first.”

Currie accepts he could miss out on a play-off push at Withdean but insists Chesterfield have a bright future too.

He said: “Brighton are putting together a good squad but (manager) Lee Richardson at Chesterfield has made some decent signings in the summer.

“Brighton and Chesterfield are pretty similar. They both went pretty close to the play-offs and have tried to improve their squads to take that step further.

“Lee spoke to me about how he wants to use me and I think I have made the the right decision.”

Asked how close he came to joining Albion, Currie said: “It was seriously close. I spoke to Micky and Dick Knight and it was 99.9 per cent done but then I decided Chesterfield was the right move.

“I spoke to Chesterfield early and then hadn’t heard anything.

“The whole situation with Luton was dragging on and I think Chesterfield became aware of that.

They came back late on.

“People will not be too impressed. I know my decision has upset people but everything was handled as it should have been.”

Although Currie’s departure from Luton was still not finalised last night, he expects the deal to go through shortly.

Hear that? "Too good to refuse" :D

Archived