League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Cooper is latest name to be linked with our managerial vacancy, currently Kettering boss. Pretty sure he is universally loathed in non-league circles - iirc Kettering are an unpopular club and constantly in bother.

Anybody? I know there was trouble with alledged racism when Kettering played Lincoln in the cup. Was Cooper implicated in that? Last thing we need tbh.

Apparently some time this week. Sheridan and Calderwood still being talked about, but I reckon Cooper's got it. Nothing official yet, but we've just announced the rest of our preseason schedule... including a game against Kettering.

You couldn't make it up.

FFS Steve Guinan has left us to join Northampton :(

We wanted him to take a pay cut despite him not having a rise when we went up and he's not exactly on massive wages, so now we have no strikers at all.

Gutted that he's gone even if he is getting on a bit now, he won player of the season and managed 15 goals despite having no service at all, he was also the only player who genuinely looked liked they cared last season.

So we have no keeper, no central defenders, no strikers and only 7 players which have been confirmed for next season two of which have just come from the youth team. Hopefully Rose and Taylor will be signing soon but it looks like Ben Smith has gone though.

The only bid for the club has been withdrawn :thup:

We've had to write to the PFA for help to pay wages :thup:

Being a Bournemouth fan :thup:

Oh but Wade Elliot joining Sam Vokes in the prem is great to see. Probably my all-time favourite Cherry.

Krost, I feel for the clubs in financial trouble I really do. We went into admin the season before they started introducing point penalties which saved us from going down. It's a shame that so many lower league clubs can't even afford to pay their tea ladies whilst clubs in the Premiership are paying players £60,000 a week. We don't get enough money to help support us and we're ultimately forced to seek capital elsewhere be it via investors or loans or whatever.

Pretty scandalous really. I always try to give as much as I can to collections when im at away grounds but it's not enough to keep a club running.

So it's Wednesday and no sign of any new appointment. Get this, it's going to be this weekend at the earliest now. Some sources report that Micky Adams has already got the job so we'll see.

We've called a "major press conference" tomorrow at 3pm. Website says it's to formally unveil our new majority shareholder, but everybody knows that he's Dave Allen. Hopefully will be the new manager, and hopefully it won't be Mark Cooper from Kettering.

Worst kept secret ever...

Allen to invest in Chesterfield

Chesterfield have confirmed that former Sheffield Wednesday chairman Dave Allen has become the League Two club's new majority shareholder.

Allen has been cleared by the Football League to become involved at Saltergate, even though he still has a financial interest in the Owls.

He has promised to pump over £4m into the Spireites, which will go towards building their new stadium.

Allen also expects to name the club's new manager next week.

He said: "I am really looking forward to an exciting future for everyone involved with Chesterfield Football Club as I see this club at the heart of the community with serious ambitions within three to five years.

"Next week we expect to announce the name of our new manager, while off the field I am eager to move ahead with the new stadium in readiness for the 2010/11 season."

BBC Radio Sheffield understands that the Spireites will interview five candidates to replace former manager Lee Richardson.

Although the club will not confirm any of the applicants, former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder John Sheridan has been widely tipped to take over.

Hereford have signed Ryan Valentine from Darlington today, from what i've heard he sounds quite good and thats now 8 signed for next season. Probably a record for us at this time of the year :D

We're also in talks to sign Forest Green central defender and captain Darren Jones, and we're trying to re-sign Michael Rose, Ryan Green,Wayne Brown and Jennison-Myrie Williams. Any of those would be really good signings although JMW can play upfront there's no mention of a striker yet.

Wouldn't mind us signing him tbh, our midfield is a bit pap

Wait, wat?

Not a lot of difference between this and Chris O'Grady's actions tbh. So I wouldn't want him anywhere near us.

Looks like today could be the day for our new manager announcement. Everyone still seems to think it's between John Sheridan, Colin Calderwood and Kettering's Mark Cooper.

"There are three, and if any one of them came I'd be delighted," says our chairman.

Drive a hard bargain, eh Barrie.

A MIDDLE Eastern consortium is set to buy Notts County in a multi-million-pound deal, the Evening Post can reveal.

Munto Finance Ltd has struck a deal to take over and invest in the Meadow Lane club – once the usual financial checks have been carried out.

The Football League must also sanction the takeover.

The group, which is owned by several businessmen based in the Middle East, wants complete control of the Magpies – and has ambitious plans to restore the fortunes of the world's oldest football league club.

It is unclear how much the consortium is willing to invest, but the budget is likely to run well into seven figures.

Magpies chairman John Armstrong-Holmes today confirmed: "We are talking about more money than this club has ever seen."

Two of the Munto group, Peter Trembling and Peter Willett, have joined the club board with immediate effect.

Nottingham-born Trembling was vice-president and head of sport at MBNA International Bank and was also employed by Premiership Everton as commercial director.

If the deal goes through as expected, he is likely to become County's chief executive, in day-to-day charge.

Willett is based in the Middle East as client representative for the Al Thani Investment Group, overseeing their property investments and developments worldwide, which have been over $7bn over the last few years.

The Evening Post understands the takeover could be finalised within a few weeks, subject to the shareholders agreeing to it. Munto is eager to push the deal through as early as possible to plan for next season.

Fantastic news, hopefully we can push on now and get out of this league.

Signed Neal Bishop from Barnet, I have no idea if he is good or bad.

Any Barnet fans care to tell?

Bit late, but yeah, he should be a top signing. One of our best players last year. CM, tough tackler, pretty useful with the ball as well. Can get a bit shirty at times - opposition don't like his tackling and he gets het up about it.

Has the ability to play in League One (at least) - rumour has it that there were Championship clubs after him in January

Transfer has gone through MM on a 3yr deal. Hard working forward that was our top scorer last season with 10. Not a bad player tbh though imo not worth £150k. More about £80k.

Pope is your 5th signing for £150k.

Transfer has gone through MM on a 3yr deal. Hard working forward that was our top scorer last season with 10. Not a bad player tbh though imo not worth £150k. More about £80k.

Pope is your 5th signing for £150k.

Trying to name the other four (from memory)

Alan Lee

John Mullin

Martin McIntosh

Martin Butler???

I hope to god it wasn't Butler, but can't think of anyone else it could have been.

Ryan Green has signed for Hereford today, great news as he is a very good right back for this league well thats if he can stay fit for long enough. With Richard Rose signing a new contract yesterday our defence is looking pretty good now although we could do with another central defender and hopefully that will be Josh Gowling from Carlisle.

Squad will be looking ok if Kris Taylor signs a new contract although we dont have a keeper, right winger or any strikers but our squad is bigger than it normally is at this time of year.

Ryan Garry has agreed a new contract, which is great news. Proved immense for us once he got a regular place in central defense next to Pearce.

Also confirmed to have a friendly with Spurs. Hopefully Harry does the same as what he did last year with Portsmouth and put a couple youngsters in his side for a look to see if Howe wants to take them on loan.

Hollands has withdrawn his notice to leave and Baker has confirmed he's agreed a deal in principle to sell the club. Relatively good news :thup:

Fully expecting Monday to roll around and Baker to announce he hasn't received the deposit as agreed, which has happened 2098313798 times before.

Archived