League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

another rather dull match today, we were awful first half and didn't create annything, played better second half and deserved the point.

Gotta love Furlong jesturing to Luton fans when coming to get the ball to take the penalty, maybe he'll actually score the thing before boasting next time he gets one. Barnet's number 30 also a very classy fellow, immature hand jestures behind your back to the away fans when officials aren't looking

And well done to whoever decided 1,000 Luton fans should try and go through one turnstyle , took them a bloody age to realise they should open a second turnstyle to get everyone in before kick off

Had to work today... Was the game really as bad as it sounded? Given that our famously biased website said that a draw was a fair result, you were probably the better team by far...

Oh, and yeah, our stewards are pretty thick... tbh they've probably never seen so many away fans...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping for a nice quiet season this year after the last two! Envisaged us getting mid table security, perhaps sneaking into the last playoff place if we had an exemplary season, but with what ever happens in the next 2 games this is beyond mine and other fans wildest dreams.

Just a shame that I will be missing the next and possibly most important game against Morecambe, duty calls for me to be in Rugby next weekend :(

Still depending on finances and arrangements will be off to Rotherham on the last day.

• SI Staff
Mallen - don't spose you'd know if we will get any money from Wolves with their promotion (clauses in the Edwards/Foley transfers)?

don't know, assume as it was the previous gansters who sold Foley and the administrator got whatever he could for Edwards so doubt it.

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        43    +27     79   
2    Exeter           44    +14     75     
3    Wycombe          43    +21     74
--------------------------------------
4    Bury             44    +19     74
5    Gillingham       44     +2     71 
6    Rochdale         44    +12     69
7    Shrewsbury       44    +16     65
8    Chesterfield     44     +8     63
9    Dag & Red        43    +20     62
10   Morecambe        43     +2     62

Need favours from Brentford and Rotherham tonight please. Reckon that Shrewsbury will lose at Daggers on the last day of the season, so I'm quite confident we can get back ahead of them with two good results. Just need to keep Dagenham and Morecambe behind us :thup:

TUESDAY 21 APRIL

Dag & Red        3 – 1    Brentford  
Luton            0 – 1    Wycombe   
Rotherham        3 – 2    Morecambe   

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        44    +25     79   
2    Wycombe          44    +22     77
3    Exeter           44    +14     75     
4    Bury             44    +19     74
5    Gillingham       44     +2     71 
6    Rochdale         44    +12     69
7    Dag & Red        44    +22     65
8    Shrewsbury       44    +16     65
9    Chesterfield     44     +8     63
10   Morecambe        44     +1     62
11   Bradford         44     +6     61
12   Darlington       44    +18     59 
13   Rotherham        44    +18     58
14   Lincoln          44     +3     58
15   Aldershot        44    -23     50
16   Barnet           44    -16     48
17   Accrington       44    -17     47
18   Notts County     44    -18     44
19   Port Vale        44    -23     44
20   Macclesfield     44    -33     43
21   Bournemouth      44     +3     40
22   Grimsby          44    -17     40
23   Chester          44    -37     36
24   Luton            44     -5     25   R

Just read Jake Howells is going to sign a professional contract with us which is good as he was linked to lots of bigger clubs and has seemed really promising when played. If we could keep Emauel a left side of him and Howells would be excellent in the BSP.

• SI Staff
Relegated Luton have admitted that some of their star performers have 'get-out clauses' in their contracts.

The burden of -30 points may have proved too big a challenge to overcome, but individually many of Town's stars have shone this season.

And while Hatters director Antony Brown was hopeful that Luton's star performers would stay at Kenilworth Road, he did admit that some could take advantage of caveats in their contracts.

He said: "There's a few that have got get-out clauses, but we have a policy were we won't discuss an employee's contract. Whether they would exercise that we don't know, but the message we are getting from the players is that everyone wants to stay."

Influential captain Kevin Nicholls has already pledged his loyalty to the Town for next season, but how many of Luton's other players follow suit remains to be seen.

dissapointing, I'd rather we'd built long term than offered players these get out clauses when relegation looked likely, should probably have gone for other targets.

At a guess I'd go for Pilkington, Gnakpa and Keane have the clauses, hope the club can persuade them to stay a give them it a fight.

Nice to see Howell's staying, good prospect and may well be first choice left back next season. Doubt we'll see many other youth teamers signing on pro terms

Just read that Bournemouth's chairman is a "self confessed" Chester City fan. Surely that can't be right?

Rumours abound that he's going to put Bournemouth back into administration just to save Chester?

Yeah Bakers a life long Chester fan. Don't think there's really any chance he'll do that, though our fans seem to be giving him all the ammo to say "f you" and do it.

He's been looking to sell since new years and is currently haggling a price with a consortium I believe (and has for about 3 months...)

Just read Jake Howells is going to sign a professional contract with us which is good as he was linked to lots of bigger clubs and has seemed really promising when played. If we could keep Emauel a left side of him and Howells would be excellent in the BSP.

Emaneul has got to be the most over rated Luton player I have seen since Herve Bacquet. I don't rate him one bit, he looks poor every time I see him play

• SI Staff
Emaneul has got to be the most over rated Luton player I have seen since Herve Bacquet. I don't rate him one bit, he looks poor every time I see him play

Emanuel's been one of our best players over last few seasons, he's not the greatest player ever to play for the club but there's been (and still is) far worse players at the club

Nice to see Howell's staying, good prospect and may well be first choice left back next season. Doubt we'll see many other youth teamers signing on pro terms

How many players have we roughly got that are in the second year of the youth team? I thought Sinclair has sounded quite promising and there are a few more that have been on the bench this season.

Mick's confirmed today Nico, Pilks & Keane want to stay & get us back up which is good. Just need Craddock & Ed to confirm and that will be all our best players definetly here next season.

We're supposedly signing Jack Lester at the end of the season :mad:

oh and Billy Sharp too but unsurprisingly i'm more than a tad skeptical about that un.

on a side note i'd love it, fecking love it if we stopped Bradford from making the play offs :cool:

Rumour is he is joining us next season, according to our fans you are signing Richard Butcher on a free from us :thup:

Hello guys. I'm Ssestig, a Crewe fan, and I might as well get used to everyone in here as i'll be in here a lot next season probably moaning at our lack of goals. We're as good as down as we need a goal swing of 4 next Saturday and we play Leicester too.

Hello guys. I'm Ssestig, a Crewe fan, and I might as well get used to everyone in here as i'll be in here a lot next season probably moaning at our lack of goals. We're as good as down as we need a goal swing of 4 next Saturday and we play Leicester too.

Is Gudjon still playing hoofball and defenders up front and in midfield?

Emanuel's been one of our best players over last few seasons, he's not the greatest player ever to play for the club but there's been (and still is) far worse players at the club

Heh, I agree I was being a bit tongue in cheek with that, but in all honesty he doesn't impress me at all (especially as a full back). I think he has poor distribution and he looks a bit flat footed when he runs. He's much better in the midfield (where he started his Luton career IIRC) but even so, I won't be especially upset when hes off in the summer

Is Gudjon still playing hoofball and defenders up front and in midfield?

Not really hoofball but he is playing defenders in midfield. Our 3-4-3 has 3 defenders (albeit 2 attacking full backs) in midfield. We also have 3 forwards who can't score which is not good.

Wonderful stuff. Never any doubt we weren't winning that today and probably could've scored 5 or 6.

Molesley just adding to his cult status by coming out for the lap of honour in the Cherry Bear costume :cool:

Some good synchronised chanting between the two fans whenever Aldershot scored as well

Not only that Krost but it was an ex-Cherries player that scored both our goals.

Well, that's it for me for the season, won't be going to Lincoln next week so I count the season as over now. Can't see anybody actually reading this gumpf, as people only seem to respond when I'm antagonistic ;) but I feel like doing an end of season review.

Unlike many of our so called supporter I only expected mid table, and tbh, finishing 15-17th will do. However the manner in which we've gone about this season is, truthfully, pathetic. The club itself has been hugely unprofessional, season tickets inexplicably delayed and too large for a normal persons trouser pocket, forgetting the Nov 11th minutes silence, and promising the manager money in January only to change their mind.

On the pitch, poor transfer practice last summer has left us with 5 strikers and 0 right backs on the books, today, our injury ravaged defence consisted of a right winger, defensive midfielder, striker and left midfielder, okay so having 5 defenders out crocked is unlucky but it sums our season up.

Ah yes, the season. As I said before I only expected mid table, but I also hoped for good performances and passion from the players, something only seen in a handful of matches, and to have the worst defence in a league containing that Chester team (no disrespect but they were poor) is embarrassing. The behaviour of some of the players, if rumours to believe, is testament to the lack of passion some have show this season.

So, looking from now to next season, were screwed. No goal scoring strikers to call our own, but three still contracted, our midfield likely to shrink, and with Kirk Hudson a probablility to be sold, and Lewis Chalmers shurely a good bet to leave as well, we will be left short of quality as well. And our defence, well all but one are still contracted and, look at the goals against column.

So, you, lot get one more season of me unintentionally picking fights and i'll be back off to non league ;)

Oh, well done Bournemouth and Rotherham, commiserations Luton, but the BSP is a decent league and more fun than the league, and, ugh, sorry, can't bring myself to congratulate Brentford.

Well, got to say I think I would be happy to play Bury in the play-offs. Although our match was 0-0, they had nothing in attack and if it wasn't for Simeon Jackson having an off-day and a diabolical referee, we would have beaten them by 3, 4-0.

Wouldn't like to call them though - that fourth spot up is too hard to call. I don't think we have the strength in depth to last three gruelling matches at the end of the season though.

Good point. i'd tried to push that out of my mind (stress of the car not starting on the way home helped)

I honestly think our fans are some of the thickest in the country. Not only the racism, at pretty much every opportunity, but:

Singing "Time to go" to Bradford's fans - when they're positioning themselves for the pitch invasion and we're 3-0 down. THICK! Should be sung to opposition fans when they are sneaking out on the end of a defeat, or a dismissed opposition player.

Singing "No surrender to the IRA" - either because they're feeling particularly racist THICK or because we're playing in that well known hotbed of Irish Republicanism - Wrexham THICKER!

Singing "Minus points and we're taking the ****" to Bradford when 2-0 down. THICK! the only ones taking the **** are them. Or possibly us, out of ourselves.

We were terrible today, just didn't look like we'd got any clue at all. Four straight games without scoring now, so it’s probably a good thing that we haven’t quite managed to limp into the playoffs – surely we would have only shown ourselves up. Not that bothered to be honest – I’m quite happy being in this division… just be nice to see us play the odd bit of football more than about twice a year.

Oh and if any of you genuinely are sniffing around Jack Lester, you’re welcome to him as far as I’m concerned. He’s 34 in October, and frankly I’d rather get a bit of a fee for him this summer than see him leave the club for nothing in twelve months’ time. I don’t care if he’s the top scorer in the division, he’s just looks like he can’t be arsed. Don’t remember him tracking back since about November…

If he ends up at your club, watch out for him standing still in the centre circle with his hands on his hips while everyone else runs about, then sulking when he find himself 70 yards from all his teammates with nothing coming to him but long balls. Today was particularly special – after about an hour where he was totally useless and caught offside about seven times, he was shown a straight red card for dissent. Takes some doing.

SATURDAY 25 APRIL

Accrington       1 – 0    Chesterfield
Aldershot        2 – 2    Chester
Bournemouth      2 – 1    Grimsby
Bradford         3 – 0    Rotherham
Darlington       1 – 3    Brentford
Exeter           2 – 2    Morecambe   
Gillingham       0 – 0    Bury
Luton            1 – 1    Rochdale
Macclesfield     2 – 1    Barnet
Notts County     0 – 3    Dag & Red
Port Vale        1 – 1    Wycombe
Shrewsbury       0 – 0    Lincoln

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        45    +27     82   C
2    Wycombe          45    +22     78
3    Exeter           45    +14     76     
4    Bury             45    +19     75
5    Gillingham       45     +2     72 
6    Rochdale         45    +12     70
7    Dag & Red        45    +25     68
8    Shrewsbury       45    +16     66
9    Bradford         45     +9     64
10   Chesterfield     45     +7     63
11   Morecambe        45     +1     63
12   Darlington       45    +16     59 
13   Lincoln          45     +3     59
14   Rotherham        45    +15     58
15   Aldershot        45    -23     51
16   Accrington       45    -16     50
17   Barnet           45    -17     48
18   Macclesfield     45    -32     46
19   Port Vale        45    -23     45
20   Notts County     45    -21     44
21   Bournemouth      45     +4     43
22   Grimsby          45    -18     40
23   Chester          45    -37     37
24   Luton            45     -5     26   R

You expect Lester to track back when he is 34? How many points has he won you this season? It would take him 10 minutes to get back up the pitch. We'd kill for a natural goalscorer like him up at Vale but, hey, we'll probably end up bringing in someone from the unibond... or worse, where we went last season, Chasetown.

We had a similar player to him a few seasons back, Leon Constantine. I remember he banged in 25 goals during the season and our fans were getting on his back because he didn't track back. He was maybe 27-28 at the time and perfectly capable of running a few more yards. Of course, when your strikers track back and you spring a counter then you are generally f'd. You have to ask yourself weather you want a striker who will run around like a headless chicken or a striker who can get you goals. You wont get both in this league.

Archived