League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You reckon? Seriously, I know where I'd rather go visiting on a spring day. Stretch out on an open terrace with the sun on your back... or climb through someone's kitchen window to get into a cramped stand, where you might get a letterbox view of the pitch if you're not stuck behind a post.

Look run your club how you want, I'm not making a big thing about it. But at £22 you're putting people off - our board is awash with people who aren't bothering because of the ticket price. And jesus, even a Luton Town accountant should realise you're better off selling 500 tickets at £18 than selling 350 tickets at £22.

• SI Staff

yes but how many people are we really putting off by charging £22, in the overall cost of an away game (travel etc) £4 isn't that much, I doubt Chesterfield would bring that many more if we charged £18, we're never going to have teams bring large away followings in this league so may aswell get as much out of those will come.

Also our prices isn't based around Chesterfield, it's based on fact majoirty of teams in this divison have pathetic suppport levels, we could charge £5 to get in and Morecambe, chester, maccelsfield etc still aint filling the away end so we make the max amount of money from those that will come. If that many fans have a problem with our pricing I suggest that complain like Derby did about QPR this season and we did against Swindon a couple of seasons back.

Also home fans are more than happy to pay £20 to come to games so were not going to make it any cheaper for away fans as thats unfair on the home support.

oh and my comment that would be cheaper for me as a visiting supporter to Luton was based that Luton do under 22's pricing which Chesterfield didn't so would be cheaper for me

If you don't like it/can't afford it then don't go. Can't say you'll be missed...

Excellent way to ensure your club goes back into administration. Try to turn away paying punters :thup:

And, tbh, £20+ is a disgrace to get into any ground at the fourth tier of English football.

Im slightly suprised at some of the prices being mentioned in here even though Hereford we're in L2 last season. £20+ for League Two is crazy, i know we dont have a very good ground but at the most we only charge £16 for our normal prices which seems a very good price now especially as the club could so easily have upped the prices to make the most out of the larger away followings.

Excellent way to ensure your club goes back into administration. Try to turn away paying punters :thup:

And, tbh, £20+ is a disgrace to get into any ground at the fourth tier of English football.

Still have a pretty high average attendance don't we? Obviously haven't noticed its not been that much of a problem for us

----

Was never gunna happen today. Only Keane, Nico and Henderson looked like they wanted to play for us. Chesterfield were ****, came for a draw and fair play to them, they got it. Bit galling the keeper was time wasting with only an hour gone but nevermind. Glad we won't play them next year, Wycombe as well. Teams that have a drummer should be kicked out the league

i'm going to wake up and find the last 3 seasons have all been a horrible nightmate yer :(

Spoke to Nick Owen afterwards. He seemed quite optimistic about next season. Was talking about retainining our squad etc

• SI Staff
Spoke to Nick Owen afterwards. He seemed quite optimistic about next season. Was talking about retainining our squad etc

hope we can, if we can just calm down next season and learn how to get a decent final ball we should be able to bounce back

the photo of Harford on BBC sport home page just pretty much how every Luton fans feels at the moment :(

hope we can, if we can just calm down next season and learn how to get a decent final ball we should be able to bounce back

the photo of Harford on BBC sport home page just pretty much how every Luton fans feels at the moment :(

Reckon the likes of Craddock have a "if we aren't near the top in January, you can go" promise, meaning we can keep them till at least Jan

May sound wierd but this is the most positive I have felt all season. Next season will be a new start, no points deductions, no Jayten and no overpaid players. We have a squad who really care & give 100% and they showed that today even though we didn't win.

May sound wierd but this is the most positive I have felt all season. Next season will be a new start, no points deductions, no Jayten and no overpaid players. We have a squad who really care & give 100% and they showed that today even though we didn't win.

Just you wait- I'm sure the league will think of something

Just you wait- I'm sure the league will think of something

I agree with you

Luton will ace the Conference next season but it depends who stays and who gos

the biggest problem for Harford will be getting more players to sign up

• SI Staff

I think very few sides would be relegated from league 2 and be the main sports story of the day which shows the size of the clubs despite where we now are.

We need to start scouting for next season now, get round the conference clubs and sees whose out of contract who could do a job next season, with our reputation, playing budget and the vision of owners we should be able to get our pick pretty much of non league players for next season.

We just need to add a more physical presence to the squad imo, we've got enough players with the ability but current squad will get bullied all over the place (much like Rotherham did to us other week)

MONDAY 13 APRIL

Accrington       0 – 1    Chester    
Aldershot        1 – 1    Barnet 
Bournemouth      0 – 1    Brentford   
Bradford         1 – 1    Lincoln   
Darlington       2 – 2    Bury    
Exeter           1 – 0    Wycombe    
Gillingham       2 – 1    Dag & Red
Luton            0 – 0    Chesterfield
Macclesfield     0 – 1    Morecambe   
Notts County     0 – 2    Grimsby   
Port Vale        0 – 0    Rotherham
Shrewsbury       1 – 1    Rochdale

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        42    +24     76   
2    Exeter           43    +13     72     
3    Wycombe          42    +18     71
--------------------------------------
4    Bury             43    +16     71
5    Rochdale         43    +14     69
6    Gillingham       43     +1     68 
7    Chesterfield     43     +9     63
8    Shrewsbury       43    +15     62
9    Bradford         43     +9     61
10   Dag & Red        42    +17     59
11   Morecambe        42     +1     59
12   Lincoln          43     +4     58
13   Darlington       43    +16     56 
14   Rotherham        42    +18     55
15   Aldershot        43    -20     50
16   Accrington       43    -14     47
17   Barnet           43    -16     47
18   Notts County     43    -17     44
19   Port Vale        43    -20     44
20   Macclesfield     43    -30     43
21   Bournemouth      43     +1     37
22   Grimsby          43    -20     37
23   Chester          43    -35     36
24   Luton            42     -4     24   R

We need to start scouting for next season now, get round the conference clubs and sees whose out of contract who could do a job next season, with our reputation, playing budget and the vision of owners we should be able to get our pick pretty much of non league players for next season.

Good thing next year is it won't be a complete squad overhaul like this year. Like you said some players with a physical presence are a must.

I was saying to someone earlier I think all our loan players and out of contracts will probably go. I wouldn't mind keeping Sol as back up but he'd have to take a wage cut. I also want Henderson to sign up for next season as he has looked good when he has played. In my opinion Craddock will stay for next season as he would of known we were likley to be going down anyway when he signed.

I think very few sides would be relegated from league 2 and be the main sports story of the day which shows the size of the clubs despite where we now are.

Mate, get a grip. I have sympathy for Luton because of the circumstances the club have found themselves in, but don't get carried away.

I think you'll find Luton are the big story because of the what if's - the club who got relegated the year before the Premier League brought big money into the top flight. Don't think you're any bigger than Wrexham or Oxford when they have gone down.

Now, prove the Football League wrong, bounce back and we'll see you in this division in two years.

mallen102000, you won't need physical presence, certainly no more than you had against us. In terms of football, there is very little difference between league two and the bsp, the differences i've noticed is that strikers in this league are generally far better and the players are quicker and stronger. The sides that come up, i.e. us, Exeter, Burton, and in the past Dagenham, Chester, Hereford and suchlike are generally the best footballing teams, not the teams that try and batter their way up.

• SI Staff

defence is probably our strongest area at the moment, we lack the quality in midfield imo to break sides down specialy at home, today summed the season up for me, opposition dump ten men behind the ball and come and play for the draw against us and we lack the skill to break them down most the time.

If we keep hold of Gallen and Craddock we've got the strike force to grab goals just need somebody to set them up. With players out of contract and some players leaving I reckon we'll have a line of something like this next season:

new goalkeeper

Asasfu-Adjaye

Pilkington

Roper (or new centre back)

Howells

new right winger

Hall

Nicholls

new left winger

Gallen

Craddock

Gonna be a tough league next year with the likes of Wrexham,Mansfield & the like as well as Luton

and us :(

Our last 3 games are Chester away, Grimsby home and Morecombe away. At least fates in our own shaky, inconsistent hands I guess

• SI Staff

he could do a job but reckon we could find better, Harford doesn't rate him much either by looks of it or he would have started today or at least come on at half time, Gnakpa was awful today. Why the **** he didn't square if for Craddock on the 2 on 1 chance in first half only he knows, Craddock wanted to kill him after it :D

No chance of Luton going straight back tbh. Harford can't get a defence solid enough.

Gonna be a tough league next year with the likes of Wrexham,Mansfield & the like as well as Luton

Dunno. Pilks, Ed-AA & Roper are more than good enough, Howells, Beavan & Hogarth will have to learn on the job a bit but should be enough. Need a new keeper though - majorly. Get a decent keeper and the defence will be fine IMO

luton the biggest club ever to be relegated from the lowest tier of league football?

Oxford were a MASSIVE club iirc.

Hope Luton come back though, would be awful to see a proud football club completely destroyed through the idiocy of past owners (although I'm still unclear on what exactly they did to deserve 30 points off, if anyone could point me to a concise explanation of the whole thing that'd be cool).

• SI Staff

we we're in admin 3 times (first was a power sturrgle, second was fans forcing club into admin to save us from a man since convicted for drug dealing, third was when wankers last year turned down 2020's offer to buy the club then dumped us into admin) and for leaving without a CVA (impossible to achieve these days) we lost 20 points

10 points was from FA for paying agents from a holding account rather than the clubs account, this means FA sees football club as responsable of holding company, if they don't deduct Southampton points we'll appeal these 10 most likely as means they've ruled Southampton aren't responsable for holding company actions, oppositie of what they rules in our case

Let us not forget that Jayten were allowed to own the club after inspection by the FL who said that they were model owners, and that their business plan for the club was excellent. It obviously wasn't

every time brentford do something stupid like that, we usually change our minds and go with ticket preferred, and then you go there and find that someone's already sat in your seat anyway. not that i care for such things, haven't sat in my season ticket seat once all season (i picked a random seat on my application form as i know it won't matter, never full enough to have to sit anywhere specific, and i picked one directly behind a pole).

but i shall have a word and make sure we beat accrington on saturday just to annoy them. plus if we do win, and bury don't win or exeter lose, we go up, which is not too shabby.

Bad news from our place - Aaron Downes has done his anterior cruciate wotsit... out for anything up to 9 months :( Oh, and this was an injury picked up last Saturday against Darlington btw - seems it's taken until today to get him scanned.

• SI Staff

another rather dull match today, we were awful first half and didn't create annything, played better second half and deserved the point.

Gotta love Furlong jesturing to Luton fans when coming to get the ball to take the penalty, maybe he'll actually score the thing before boasting next time he gets one. Barnet's number 30 also a very classy fellow, immature hand jestures behind your back to the away fans when officials aren't looking

And well done to whoever decided 1,000 Luton fans should try and go through one turnstyle :thup: , took them a bloody age to realise they should open a second turnstyle to get everyone in before kick off

The stewards at Barnet were ridiculous today. Me & my dad had brought seated tickets at the ticket office last week and when we got in the ground all the seats were taken. So we went over to where there was a metal gate thing and asked the steward if we could go to the terrace behind the goal but they refused and wouldn't answer when asked why. Eventually a couple of other people had the same problem so we were let through.

With regards to the match I thought Ed played very well again, if we keep him, Pilks, Craddock, Nico & Keane we will have a good spine in place for the team.

Thank god for that- if we beat grimsby at home next week we're fine- nice and simple.

Indeed. Even if we lose both of our games Chester still have to win both theirs thanks to GD :thup:

Pitman haters can gtf. Sick and tired of our fans getting on his back just because he doesn't chase lost causes and run around like a headless chicken (snigger) tiring himself out. He's our only goalscorer and has been exceptional since Eddie came in.

Great game at Saltergate today, really good advert for League Two. Gillingham were excellent in the first half, but a win flattered them even at 1-0; we deserved at least a point really, so particularly annoying that we've now slipped back to 8th and will need to rely on other results going our way.

Best we've played for months though :thup:

SATURDAY 18 APRIL

Barnet           1 – 1    Luton      
Brentford        3 – 0    Accrington
Bury             3 – 0    Macclesfield
Chester          0 – 2    Bournemouth
Chesterfield     0 – 1    Gillingham
Dag & Red        3 – 0    Bradford   
Grimsby          3 – 0    Port Vale
Lincoln          0 – 1    Exeter      
Morecambe        1 – 0    Notts County
Rochdale         0 – 2    Darlington