FM24: Arsenal - Taking the next step

hasdgfas

Welcome to the FM24 Arsenal Thread!

image.png.1164fd40afe0481e095d3939cfb47892.png

The official 2023/24 Arsenal men's first-team squad photo

Arsenal History and current real life squad

Arsenal Football Club is an English professional football club based in Holloway, North London. Arsenal compete in the Premier League, the top flight of English football. The club has won 13 league titles (including one unbeaten title), a record 14 FA Cups, two League Cups, 17 FA Community Shields, the Football League Centenary Trophy, one European Cup Winners' Cup and one Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

In late 1886, a gaggle of workers from the Woolwich Arsenal Armament Factory decided to form a football team. They called themselves Dial Square as a reference to the sundial atop the entrance to the factory. On December 11, 1886, Dial Square romped to a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers; the first game in their initial guise. Shortly afterwards the name ‘Royal Arsenal’ was adopted. Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join the Football League in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division, and have won the second-most top-flight matches in English football history.

image.png.786eda2272dae66b2dd54da3a305020e.png

First-Team Squad (ish)

image.png.5cc081ec3a0b66489cda70a4e4d8b8a9.png

Transfers Summer 2023

In:

image.png.83fd124148c4f3c61b43ecc2541f65cd.png

Out:

image.png.67398dab68fc258131059b1dc29be5ac.png

---

Last season, Arsenal led the Premier League for 248 days, before late season injuries and inconsistency led to them losing the title to Manchester City by 5 points. This season, Arsenal should expect a title challenge at the very least, with a title win possible depending on consistency, and how well the changes from last season are handled, especially in the midfield.

How can you handle the struggles of new expectations and the changes to other squads in the Premier League from new managers, new high-performing teams in Brighton, Aston Villa, and Newcastle?

---

Transfer Budget:

Original/Real World: 5M

Your World: 135M (this mode will contain none of the summer transfers listed above)

---

Good luck all! I look forward to hearing about the Arsenal saves this season.

Yes, will be playing my favorite football team on FM24 PC this year. Already have some plans - this is my starting 11 for now

Ramsdale

White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko

Rice

Havertz  Odegaard

Saka                           Martinelli

Jesus

Will probably be looking for cover on some of this positions - 

CB - Saliba

DM - Partey (his age - on BETA I managed to sell him for $50 mill (PSG))

IF - Saka backup

So very excited - cant wait to play after work (I am from Malaysia btw)

#COYG

Edited by shanster1405

Been playing a fair bit as Arsenal in beta/full release

Anyone find Jesus frustratingly inconsistent? Anyone had luck with him in certain positions/roles?

My only signing so far has been the very popular, Valentin Barco. Such a good player, only 8mill (adjust budgets, can get him with the 5 mill starting balance) can play a few positions and also frees up Zinchenko to play in midfield a bit, and Kiwior in central defense/half back roles. Just gives you more rotation options and flexibility which is nice.

Reiss Nelson is for some reason, constantly performing incredibly for me. I'm grateful as Saka, like Jesus, just doesn't seem to be performing as well as his attributes indicate he should...

overall though we have an awesome team in FM24. 

I won the league for two seasons, now in third it looks like I will be second. But Arsenal are relly good this year. 

Jesus has not performed that well for me either, but I use him as a pressing forward and I don't really need him to bang in the goals as long as Saka and Martinelli keep doing it.

I sold Saka before the third season to PSG for a total of 201m pounds. First I rejected a much lower bid, then they came back with a second which i accepted. Only then Saka rejected their contract. Then they came back with a third, even higher and everything went smooth. 

I bought Yamal from Barca to compensate (for a good 147m) and he has been even better. 

12 hours ago, Mobius said:

Anyone find Jesus frustratingly inconsistent?

he got injured for 6 weeks in added time in the Community Shield for me and is just coming back now, so I couldn't tell you yet!

I am just hitting the Champions League games in the first season. Group is Bayern, Arsenal, Crvena zvezda, and Real Sociedad. Should progress, but not a given.

Is anyone integrating or focusing development on any young players? Nwaneri or others?

12 hours ago, Mobius said:

Been playing a fair bit as Arsenal in beta/full release

Anyone find Jesus frustratingly inconsistent? Anyone had luck with him in certain positions/roles?

My only signing so far has been the very popular, Valentin Barco. Such a good player, only 8mill (adjust budgets, can get him with the 5 mill starting balance) can play a few positions and also frees up Zinchenko to play in midfield a bit, and Kiwior in central defense/half back roles. Just gives you more rotation options and flexibility which is nice.

Reiss Nelson is for some reason, constantly performing incredibly for me. I'm grateful as Saka, like Jesus, just doesn't seem to be performing as well as his attributes indicate he should...

overall though we have an awesome team in FM24. 

Bought Osimhen for the second season, and by start of December he already has almost as many goals as Jesus had in the first season. Just get a better Striker. 100M well spent

6 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

he got injured for 6 weeks in added time in the Community Shield for me and is just coming back now, so I couldn't tell you yet!

I am just hitting the Champions League games in the first season. Group is Bayern, Arsenal, Crvena zvezda, and Real Sociedad. Should progress, but not a given.

Is anyone integrating or focusing development on any young players? Nwaneri or others?

Nwaneri is looking a good sub for Odegaard for me in second season. Reuell Walters was a good rotation player on the first season, but I loaned him to Werder Bremen on the second season so he can get more time

How's everyone's tactics looking? I have won all my games, but I'm generally not winning comfortably. Kinda similar to the IRL team honestly.

image.png.d570dd08c3792a6d953b2999d1ec4f68.png

You can see a lot of wins, including an incredible win at City. But only beating Burnley at home 1-0 is incredibly disappointing. I've been playing around with a few different tactics, but none of them quite feel right.

Played as Arsenal in the Beta and really enjoyed it.

Playing

Ramsdale

White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko

Rice

Odegaard Havertz 

Saka                           Martinelli

Jesus

Jesus not performing well like others.  Signed Oshimen in the Beta and he was great.  Saka only 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 games as well.  Top of the leagues and doing well in Europe as well.  Won first 2 games then drew 2-2 away at Bayern.  Only late October.  Not made any signings but scouting some youngsters.  Team is really good so don't want to make too many changes

First season this is the tactic at the end:

image.png.80afdcf3a95709aaca9feccb4a53c654.png

Player instructions:
DR - Sit Narrower

DCE - Stay Wider

DM - Close Down Less

AP - Roam From Position

AMR - Stay Wider

AML - Stay Wider

Stats at the end of Season 1:

image.thumb.png.b011bb6df979a1e953a53c5f9e776713.png

Second season, by December 30th

image.png.ca12e2ce391e1503c0593cbbd1092334.png

Player instructions:
DR - Sit Narrower

DCR - Close Down Less

DCE - Stay Wider, Close Down Less

DM - Close Down Less

AP - Roam From Position, Run Wide With Ball, Stay Wider

AMR - Stay Wider

AML - Stay Wider

Stats At December 30th of Season 2:

image.thumb.png.de92174d51ecabb67d360c994bfac6f8.png

Really enjoying my Arsenal save so far. Currently half way through the second season and flying.

Tactics - Rotated squad against Norwich in the FA Cup (Who won it in the first season from the Championship!)

a0a8ff72bfb87e2d290e4594862218a6.png

Transfers - Mathys Tel has been fantastic, Maurits Kjærgaard was a no brianer as his release clause was only £15m. Made a good profit on Trossard and bought Ansu Fati, if only he could stay fit...

bb3aef863a909dabb9c8a8c19dff19ed.png

98aeb26417b12fee6f1af8c13b946255.png

Recent form

6597c541062286c1c34674eea970542f.png

Edited by Led_Conor

I would strongly recomment Ousmane Diomandé. Not cheap but absolutely brilliant. Bought him and he's been a rock for me. Can play at DM and central defense. Patino is not developing well for me, even though I give him a lot of play time. Gabriel Jesus has been a beast for me. Just won world footballer of the year, before Haaland and Mbappé. :D. Martinelli has developed into an absolute beast. 

I had problems with Rambo though. Had to sell him and I bought Courtois at 33 years of age. Bought a promising goalkeeper as backup. Arsenal is just fun to play with. 

went crazy with arsenal on "your world" mode and threw realism to the wayside.

wanted to see how much i could get away with.

83da3503133ab7c715f88015c442a5ba.thumb.png.c6692d3687d74ff5d0359c4b437e777f.png

might see elneny or marquinhos leave next for another 10-20m.

running this as my first and second teams:

4b81cfa19bf33781ac8e26ace8bba59d.png.9ef91b28c7165ab4cb91c5cb55dc48f0.png                                                         6f5d2cc61ea96af1126ac6a94748d13b.png.e22ed7b06e525892ea0078d05d127a3d.png

with nelson, smith-rowe, vieira, fresneda, nketiah, and the youngsters as back up options.

experimenting with havertz on the wing. and also leaning towards having caicedo play the 6 in the second team with gavi as the bwm and smith-rowe/vieira as the cm-a.

anyone else test out "your world" mode with arsenal?

Finally finished my first season, was under pressure a couple of times to be sacked but somehow avoided it and did at least finish with some silverware too. Really struggled at times going from playing great one week to ***** the next, also certain there's a problem with the AI teams just having to score a goal at some point during the match no matter how bad they're playing. 

image.thumb.png.5a8a7450fef91fd2114a039dc79246ae.png

I always start with transfers switched off so no deals can happen until January, board turned my requests down for more money (only had £250k) then randomly gave me £106m midway through the window. Brought in Osimhem and Andre from Fluminense in Brazil. Hoping to move on some players in the Summer and haven't renewed the contracts of the likes of Jorginho/Elneny etc, plus will probably be sticking with Ramsdale instead of signing Raya to save myself £27m. Ideally I'd like to bring in another LB and a top quality DM/CM to partner Rice.

image.thumb.png.62d89c55583b1357bfb23aef9ead2fce.png

As most have said above, Jesus really poor for me, Eddie cemented first choice after a great return of  23 goals in 35 games.

I'm into January 2027 and this is my squad

image.thumb.png.62c380bd8a6197af428f5dfd7c04d990.png

image.png.a9c9a01cdc3ccab95463fee3c925903e.png

Unlike previous versions I've yet to taste glory but i've been close a few times. City have won the league every year (including me bottling it final day of first season losing away to Everton when a win would get me the title on GD) 

and below are my transfer windows

image.thumb.png.258772e2089fd9e5455d2a85a1ba2b5a.png

image.thumb.png.bda5b5e55cc6daf93fc924a31ba502f2.png

image.thumb.png.66ae4cc726f6ba6b0c241114d0b87d13.png

Currently 7 clear of Liverpool with a game in hand so hopefully the trophy drought ends this season

6 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

Looks like a lot of turnover, @Carmi88. Have you struggled more at the start or the end of seasons?

Also, how do Patino, Nwaneri and Walters look for you now?

Typical end of season collapse :D

nwaneri has never really took any opportunities afforded to him, so is out on loan.

patio nowhere near as consistent as he was on 23 for me.

Walters has been superb, actually just earned himself a move to Athletico as Ben White will still be first choice for a few more years, but Norton cruffy will make the step up next year as backup.

Second season finished and some silverware won, should have gone further in the CL but Porto ended up being runners up to Bayern.

image.thumb.png.24bc5f15bc3f79e7644bfab9fa0baacd.png

Success was mainly due to me going big in the transfer market, I don't usually do this but as we were attracting good offers for our it seemed the best time to cash in and use the money to bring in better players.

image.thumb.png.125d89fdd3578f0321d806724dbbd656.png

Squad stats

image.png.7aff42c9205825cb332e31cb27635bc0.png

In other news, though not sure why we're being called Champions League champions because were not!

image.png.5f50983e2683341685bfa97f619f07ab.png

image.png.4b06555219afd44ae474571771b604da.png

JANUARY 2024

image.thumb.png.90c3f2366bd6f2343668083c17645acc.png

Season's going very well so far, even with a bit of an injury crisis. However, I'm very glad it's January 1 and the transfer window is open.

PREMIER LEAGUE:

image.thumb.png.ac75276ed25ad14f643aefbbaf567668.png

image.png.e6cd7942e2f75b59ece0b41819881670.png

The beginning of the season was a little bit rough, with several matches tighter than they needed to be. However, even with that, the win at the Etihad against City was phenomenal and made me think that there might be something to this season. After the home Fulham win, the tactics started to come together a bit more. No embarrassing results here. Even Newcastle was a good performance. We just couldn't get past Nick Pope on the day. However, as you can see from the table, it's tight at the top! Liverpool still haven't lost, so there's still no breathing room up there.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE:

image.thumb.png.267424266229c5eca4b6aa27083df494.png

image.png.92d281a1d8a375920689ac0c51ec8467.png

A solid if unspectacular group. Bayern (obviously), Sociedad, and Crvena Zvezda meant we should progress even if we couldn't take the latter two lightly. And it went quite well! Very happy with the home win against Bayern, and everything else went about as expected for a clean 1st place in the group and a tie against Leipzig in the round of 16. I think we should be able to get through that.

EFL CUP:

image.png.286dd2fe46217298fe976375889b5596.png

Straightforward wins even with rotated squads, and a semi final against Championship Leeds means we should hopefully make the final. I threw out a squad against Wolves that I expected to lose because of all the injuries and fatigue going around, but they were great! I mean, look at this:

image.png.3118910fc14ae91ee7e6b049dc31855b.png

COMMUNITY SHIELD:

Horrendous 4-1 loss against City where Jesus got injured in second half stoppage time. No need to talk about it further really. It sucked.

SQUAD PERFORMANCE:

image.thumb.png.f0b12af9cf0ab9c28828d15081d3d499.png

image.thumb.png.2ee6d507202e694f6c86d1d047dbd342.png

Overall very solid performances from everyone. Goals are being spread around really well. I've been disappointed in Jesus, like seemingly many people in here. AND he can't stay fit. Declan Rice is unbelievable. His average rating may not be as high as a couple others, but I've been watching him in games and he's been doing exactly what I want.

TRANSFERS:

image.thumb.png.5461b2b8c953d3dc486b8eb750065165.png

Obviously, most of these are from real life, but I've picked up a couple young players since.

image.thumb.png.9a7069140885dc0a1b5e0b279a44cfc2.png

Ronnie Edwards looked like a player with loads of potential down at L1 Peterborough, so even if he doesn't make it here(and he still might!), I expect to make a good amount of profit.

image.thumb.png.08d4e70d60ca8e3e1ac65475ae842c18.png

Valentin Gomez pretty similar. I like what I'm seeing from him, I'm letting him get some more time in Velez to develop, and we'll see how they look at the end of the season.

I'd like to pick up some depth this January, and in particular, start to look for more midfielders and another striker. Elneny, Jorginho, and Partey are all on their way out at the end of the season (or even here in January) if I can find replacements. I want a TOP striker. I'm looking at Osimhen because he seems quite affordable right now.

Currently coming to the end of my 7th season (2029/30). Steve Gibson, of Middlesbrough, is the chairman following a quick take over in 2026. It took a while but I've won the following:-

Premier League 2028

Champions League 2029

Super Cup 2029

Carabao Cup 2030.

Also finished runners up in the FA Cup, Champions league and Club World Cup as well. Its not as successful as I've been in the first 7 years on old FM's but enjoying it for that reason, the overall best eleven shows that I've stuck primarily with the current squad through the years with the spine of Saliba, Rice, Odegaard, Saka & Martinelli still mainstays.

image.thumb.png.6cce35e123db392913aa4dab414300f7.png

On 09/11/2023 at 16:39, lpcinder said:

Gabriel Jesus has been a beast for me. Just won world footballer of the year, before Haaland and Mbappé. :D. Martinelli has developed into an absolute beast. 

what position/role do you play Jesus in ?  He's not working as AF/attack for me...

3 hours ago, Peter5000 said:

what position/role do you play Jesus in ?  He's not working as AF/attack for me...

AF attack, he had two very good seasons, but last season he was very inconsistent. I'm expecting an offer from the Saudi league and I'm tempted to sell him if the offer is right. I have the same problem with Moukoko who is very inconsistent and also injured quite a lot. I have a young brazilian who is supertalented and who will play a lot from now on. 

just started with arsenal, but have no idea how to use rice or havertz? i prefer rice as a dm, i was using as a bbm, but there is no direct replacement for him in the squad sa bbm. so thinking of havertz in the midfield 2 with odegaard. one playmaker and the other mezzella?

12 minutes ago, oze07 said:

just started with arsenal, but have no idea how to use rice or havertz? i prefer rice as a dm, i was using as a bbm, but there is no direct replacement for him in the squad sa bbm. so thinking of havertz in the midfield 2 with odegaard. one playmaker and the other mezzella?

Havertz will improve in CM if you give him plenty of game time.

image.thumb.png.aec67588fbc4863e55bcc03fc420916a.png

In other news Henry is back.

image.png.429846da71d858f579f5284eff7e5555.png

I'm in April in Season 1. No transfers on. The only business was to sell Cedric to the Saudi's in Jan, as well as loaning out Nelson to Newcastle because he kept moaning about game time.

Started well but we are fading. City have knocked us out of both the FA Cup and League Cup (and we play them in the CL quarter finals).

The League is really tight. We drew twice with City and we lost at Anfield. We have Liverpool at home next (Saliba suspended).

PremierLeague_Profile-2.thumb.png.0ab87e971bca8551454c2531e7d5f9d4.png

The front three have been great. Odegaard very good. Raya spent a few months out injured and cost us both cup games v City so he won't be signed. Zinchenko spent 4 months out with a broken foot, so Kiwior has played a decent amount of games at LB.

Havertz the pick of the average performers in the LCM role (it's as weak as rl). Nketiah also very realistic. Hat trick one week, a 6.2 the next.

Arsenal_Overview.thumb.png.5562bee7295571bc48d05c08c437a16a.png

Unsure what I'm going to do in the summer. I'm not against selling players like ESR, Vieira and Tomiyasu as they have interest. Partey is definitely getting sold.

4 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I'm in April in Season 1. No transfers on. The only business was to sell Cedric to the Saudi's in Jan, as well as loaning out Nelson to Newcastle because he kept moaning about game time.

Started well but we are fading. City have knocked us out of both the FA Cup and League Cup (and we play them in the CL quarter finals).

The League is really tight. We drew twice with City and we lost at Anfield. We have Liverpool at home next (Saliba suspended).

PremierLeague_Profile-2.thumb.png.0ab87e971bca8551454c2531e7d5f9d4.png

The front three have been great. Odegaard very good. Raya spent a few months out injured and cost us both cup games v City so he won't be signed. Zinchenko spent 4 months out with a broken foot, so Kiwior has played a decent amount of games at LB.

Havertz the pick of the average performers in the LCM role (it's as weak as rl). Nketiah also very realistic. Hat trick one week, a 6.2 the next.

Arsenal_Overview.thumb.png.5562bee7295571bc48d05c08c437a16a.png

Unsure what I'm going to do in the summer. I'm not against selling players like ESR, Vieira and Tomiyasu as they have interest. Partey is definitely getting sold.

Personally I'd keep Tomiyasu as is so versatile and generally puts in good performances.

image.thumb.png.402aa4b2271ba1ec434e96d311e49f90.png

10 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them

Man City v Arsenal_ Pitch.png

Wait until they start signing players in the summer, on mine they've brought in -

Season 2  - Gnabry

Season 3  - Raphinha, A Silva (Benfica), Bellingham

Season 4  - Musiala

Obviously been a few others too but these are the bigger names, spent £688m with £273m coming in. I've spent £720m :D but have brought in £649m and only have £37m left in the bank!

Ended up winning the league with a game to spare.

City weirdly went through the season unbeaten, with the same record that our Invincibles did.

Saka cleaned up with the awards

£150m to spend before sales. I think I know one player I'm signing

Arsenal_ Competitions.png

Andrew Wilkins_ Inbox-2.png

End of season one.

The young players are incredible this year, and have helped no end. Decided Nketiah blowing hot and cold was too much for me so sent him off on loan to Inter and he helped them win Serie A so hopefully it becomes permanent too.

image.thumb.png.15f3a2586d3c2b96d75f0951ecb2771b.png

Reuell stepped up well, as did Nwanieri 

image.thumb.png.1150c21b35479c75ddb4676357533d64.png

Great season to be fair, bar hiccups with injury moments where at points I was overloaded with no fit center backs, it all came good in the end.

Many familiar faces I guess have come in, a fair few stayed on loan until the end of the season which helped me sort out and phase out Jorginho/Elneny/Nketiah and others over the season too

Special Mention to Toney and his champions league final goal to send us on our way! adds a new dynamic to the way we play up top and wasn't too expensive so can get a couple of years out of him and hopefully move him on for near cost if possible also.

image.thumb.png.b0df457deaa5a07f4631beddb2953271.png

image.png.f342ebf0960a5f86f8a116cf071c748c.png

image.png.af099ba2fe764bcbb26f6aebb89537b8.png 

image.png.0401a78262e3c50647a0a16cdd5e46bc.png

Looking to rebuild ready for the new season and to push forward with more rotation and hopefuly do it all again.

Time to dive into learning training better as I do feel I'm leaving a lot of progress on the table there, anyone else?

image.png

23 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Nketiah also very realistic. hat trick one week, a 6.2 the next.

these are all my strikers. How does your tactic look? I can't consistently keep them involved in the games.

Edited by hasdgfas

Season 4 done and we was superb in winning the Prem and CL, not so good in the domestic cups though where we made the FA Cup 5th Rnd and runners up to City in the Carabao.

image.thumb.png.8ed666f480f6e3d4ca09cc82104f5fb1.png

image.png.953effbeda0c73ce5bea5b1ca167a1e1.png

image.png.db5c379b8d48879e4e0f3a6507555ea3.png

image.png.e15f2b078dbf989248d5ac3b648dec34.png

Probably looking to upgrade on Raya in the summer and maybe Balde at LWB but have been thinking of retraining Martinelli there to get him in the team regular. Have also been trying to sell Smith-Rowe for 18 months as requested a transfer, but no one will bid for him due to his wage demands.

Edited by VP.

The hoodoo is very much over

ArsenalvManCity_Review.thumb.png.38a6206763d86458fb8e700412712b36.png

Strange summer. My #1 target was Tchouameni. He only started 5 League games for Real Madrid. I wanted extra physicality for the big games.

Wasn't sure what to do for the rest, however Trossard won CL POTY last year so Real Madrid came in with a huge offer. Trossard also wanted £250k a week to stay. Vieira also had a meltdown, so he was off. 

Tierney and Nelson went on loan with mandatory purchases. Tierney went to West Ham and Nelson went to Barcelona(!)

Ferguson was a no brainer for that price as Brighton went down. Was going to replace Vieira but ESR needs more minutes and I want to bring through MLK and Nwaneri

Arsenal_TransferHistory.thumb.png.590d63227389ea2ec8c6e491736b6547.png

23 hours ago, ajw10 said:

The hoodoo is very much over

ArsenalvManCity_Review.thumb.png.38a6206763d86458fb8e700412712b36.png

Strange summer. My #1 target was Tchouameni. He only started 5 League games for Real Madrid. I wanted extra physicality for the big games.

Wasn't sure what to do for the rest, however Trossard won CL POTY last year so Real Madrid came in with a huge offer. Trossard also wanted £250k a week to stay. Vieira also had a meltdown, so he was off. 

Tierney and Nelson went on loan with mandatory purchases. Tierney went to West Ham and Nelson went to Barcelona(!)

Ferguson was a no brainer for that price as Brighton went down. Was going to replace Vieira but ESR needs more minutes and I want to bring through MLK and Nwaneri

Arsenal_TransferHistory.thumb.png.590d63227389ea2ec8c6e491736b6547.png

What does your tactic (+ Team instructions/player instructions) look like?

Just finished Season 1. A very good season with one big triumph and a few disappointments.

image.thumb.png.64e18083c376a95cd5d5aafdf35e472e.png

Premier League

Obviously this is the big one. Champions! Jumped out into first place pretty early and held onto it the whole time this season. But it was a sweat, even without many blemishes on the season

image.thumb.png.89bd4c8171282812f33c9b03ac188676.png.

image.png.d8137a02b6326d326c9b39f59ae38975.png

Needed a win against Spurs away in order to clinch...

image.thumb.png.f705e18295ec23a0cbd58cae7bd03698.png

Absolutely horrendous first 35 minutes had me worried, but the next 5 gave me some hope. Osimhen got the third and I thought I was going to end up getting the fourth right at The End, but Vicario stood strong and kept our chances out. So all we needed was a draw at home against City, who were 5 points back with 2 to play.

image.thumb.png.1313c4efac39e00789cc84deb7e1b484.png

Again it looked bad early, with Rodri deflecting a ball that was way off target giving Raya no chance. But Martinelli got us back into it in the 33rd minute off of a great move from Jesus. We had all the chances from there, but Ederson was way too good on the day. We shut up shop in stoppage time since there were only 5 minutes. City had absolutely nothing for the first 4 minutes, but then my players go way more aggressive on a free kick on City's side of the field, they get the ball and launch it down their right flank. Ricardo Horta beats Timber to it, launches a cross into the box for Haaland. Raya claims it easily, but Gabriel pushes Haaland in the back for a penalty??? There's just no way. I fall over in my chair worried we're giving the title away. While we are only playing Burnley on the last day, anything can happen at Turf Moor. So Haaland steps up but Raya denies him with a great save to his right! They get a corner, it's easily handled, and the final whistle blows. This is when I triggered Raya's buy clause. I was already probably going to, as he had been outplaying Ramsdale enough that he took the starting job, but as soon as the match ended I did it.

Champions League

image.thumb.png.b34da8834f77f1c61d527263ff6c9bcb.png

image.png.9cd0aad5733af707383efc806df72be0.png

I thought this was going to be an incredible season after taking City out in the quarters and going up 2-0 in Paris in the first half. But PSG scored two goals in 3 minutes in the second half to salvage something there. Then they got a 21st minute goal out of nowhere and I was worried. I peppered Donnarumma for a while there, with 1.91 xG. But nothing went in and we went out in the semis after being in a promising position.

The Cups:

image.png.157336f2a2cbcd6a0693f2a79026eac3.png

Pretty clean in the EFL Cup. Even the final was an absolute battering of Newcastle with a mostly second team. Clean in the FA Cup as well until the Semi. Then an absolute classic 3-2 against Liverpool. An incredible game.

image.thumb.png.a73c2e7fac8b01ee3a06ab01a5449ba6.png 

City in the finals was another even match, decided by a horrendous pass from Vieira straight to Haaland in the box when he didn't have to do it. Vieira was responsible for PSG's goal at the Emirates as well, so he might just be on his way out.

Transfers

image.thumb.png.9a5329c108fe2c6c5ad8a5de2ee9f9a3.png

Obviously Osimhen is a big one here, but getting what I did from them for Nketiah immediately afterwards made me feel good.

image.thumb.png.c5ca46cf254fabe92ce735dd7e5961ce.png

Valentin Gomez has some potential here in the backline. I am excited to see how he develops.

Squad

image.thumb.png.b6dc9f17afae65d0b71472d016fa4e01.png

image.thumb.png.87101d1c2e0aff69bfad5e71e2a0868f.png

Some standout things to discuss here. Obviously the biggest talking point is the GK battle. Raya decisively won that one for me. Ramsdale was the starter for a bit, with Raya in the cups and the CL, but Raya's performances were so good that I eventually made the swap. You can even just see from their average ratings how much better Raya was. An average rating difference of .25 for a GK in a similar number of starts is huge.

Moving forward from there, the defense was solid if unspectacular. I need to tighten up a bit back there moving forward, but I think that's a tactical thing. They're playing how I want. And Saliba had 8 goals! Tomiyasu was outstanding covering the entire backline as he needed to. Walters with 23 appearances was higher than I was expecting, but with Timber's injury it was really necessary so that the squad didn't burn themselves out. And he played really well! Timber I have high hopes for his versatility next season. He was quite solid in the run-in after his return from injury, if unspectacular.

In the midfield, there was a lot of messing around due to injuries and depth, but Declan Rice was basically everpresent and he was outstanding. Odegaard with 8 goals and 21 assists was also fantastic. Kai Havertz mostly played in the midfield for me and did quite well! 10g/10a is a good return. Myles Lewis-Skelly was another young player in there for depth, but he played well enough to get 10 appearances with 2 goals and 3 assists. I was really impressed.

In the front 3, a really strong season. Reiss Nelson was an oustanding Saka backup. Reiss with 11g/12a and Saka with 21/14 meant the right wing was locked down. A mix of players on the left wing due to injuries and depth issues, but Martinelli with 21g/9a was the standout. Trossard, ESR, and Jesus deputized there when they needed to. Nwaneri was good during crises, with 10 appearances and a goal and an assist. I didn't want to overwork him while he was 16, but a few games was great for him and I'm excited to see him develop. Up top I decided to go with Victor Osimhen in January as Jesus wasn't firing from there and he was fantastic. 14 goals in 19 appearances and an average rating of 7.25 is just want I wanted from a big January signing. Can't wait to see how he does with a full season next year. For reference, Eddie in 22 appearances in the first half of the season got 9 goals, and you can see Gabriel Jesus got 12 in 48. So Osimhen is firing well.

My plans for the summer:

Make the midfield younger. Elneny is already on his way out and I'm looking to move on Jorginho, as well as Partey if there's interest. Lewis-Skelly could use a loan, and Vieira has annoyed me with some horrible mistakes so I might get rid of him if there's interest.

Hopefully find some more consistency from the backline. Raya's the #1, I plan to move on Ramsdale, and the back four are strong but have a mistake in them. From there, we'll see what the window brings.