The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

Let's get this started.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There's only one goalkeeper on loan from West Brom whose contract will expire in six days. No other incoming or outgoing transfers/loans at present. We're predicted to finish mid-table and the chairman expects us to avoid relegation as a minimum. Our training and youth facilities are also good, possibly among the best in this division which should mean newgens with good ratings albeit the youth recruitment isn't as good, hopefully we can pump that up soon enough. There are seventeen players in the main team at present so it'll be a tough season till we get to the youth intake but hopefully we get there in one piece.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mahzun_Savas:

From reading the thread it seems that teams that are promoted to J3 do not have youth recruitment so you do not get a youth intake unless you improve facilities etc. So you need to get your board to spend money which is sometimes very hard.

Thanks now I got it. 

Everything was going quite well. I was on the verge of the playoffs spots and I had made the final of the Copa Real Federación Española de Fútbol. But then my playmaker got injured and form turned around for the worse. Losing the final and losing 4 league games in a row saw me called before the board. I promised things would look better in a month so I have a month and need to get the team playing well again. 

6 minutes ago, Socerer 01 said:

Just noticed that AFC Telford can’t play in the same division as Shrewsbury Town due to them being a senior affiliate which probably kills that save idea. D’oh. 

Let’s roll again. 

Doesn't the affiliate agreement end if you get promoted to the same division?

Just now, Mahzun_Savas said:

Doesn't the affiliate agreement end if you get promoted to the same division?

I assume that’s for the loan affiliates and the first team option ones where they state playing in the same division terminates the affiliation.

This one seems locked in as a long-term deal and I can’t cancel it either. Seems eerily similar to the ones Spanish clubs have with their B Teams. 

32 minutes ago, Socerer 01 said:

Just noticed that AFC Telford can’t play in the same division as Shrewsbury Town due to them being a senior affiliate which probably kills that save idea. D’oh. 

Let’s roll again. 

That doesn't matter as the link is terminated if they end up in the same division.

8 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

That doesn't matter as the link is terminated if they end up in the same division.

Are you sure? Because this is what the affiliation says in my save which is making me worried

YAStart1.thumb.jpg.dd2ed47513c2e89027513955bd73f0bf.jpg

while for West Brom's affiliation it does say it'll be terminated if they play in the same division.

Just don't wanna sink a lot of time in the save and get roadblocked down the future. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Socerer 01 said:

Are you sure? Because this is what the affiliation says in my save which is making me worried

YAStart1.thumb.jpg.dd2ed47513c2e89027513955bd73f0bf.jpg

while for West Brom's affiliation it does say it'll be terminated if they play in the same division.

Just don't wanna sink a lot of time in the save and get roadblocked down the future. :lol:

Previous FMs simply cancelled the link so if it does prevent promotion it is new this year.

1 hour ago, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks now I got it. 

With the financials I've seen so far with Criacao in J3, the money to fund youth recruitment and junior coaching etc is definitely there. It's simply a case of pestering the board enough to get them to cave in! I managed it by May time (started with them in January), and saw youth candidates come through in November.

Took my FM23 save over which means no achievements but I liked my start with Nuneaton Boro and didn't want to start over again in England

First intake preview looks half decent.

S1_YouthIntakePreview.thumb.png.37c82abcdb1153359a08a9ebd387b0e3.png

Found my first annoyance with this version, they frequency and severity of goalkeeper injuries is insane. Lost my first choice keeper for 7 weeks for a broken hand attempting to catch the ball and then my back-up keeper is out for 10 weeks with a broken lower arm trying to catch the ball......how the hell do you break (not just fracture) your lower arm trying to catch a ball unless you arms are made out of paper.

Normally go with Hornchurch but the kits are wrong and that annoys me so will wait until the pre-editor is out to change them.

Got a save for Berwick Rangers ready then saw someone else doing that save so have decided to go where I've never gone before - Portugal.

Game resets on 29th June.  Not sure exactly when the 20 promotions are decided but I had a save on 10th June (after the last game of the season) and ran it forward a couple of times but this generated the same 20.  Did the same on May 1st and got different teams so it's between May 1st and June 9th.

Anyway, rolled a random number between 1 and 20 and ended up with ...

image.png.ddb10b0421a20480549ed4317dfd818f.png

image.png.92eb84afbe5d4eb8dadd3d00234cad3a.png

@darren1983

Serbia. League reset is 15 June 2024.  Save on 25 May 2024 for different teams.

Slovakia. League reset is 28 June 2024.  Save on 25 May 2024 for different teams.

Slovenia. League reset is 30 June 2024.  Save on 25 May 2024 for different teams.

Save date maybe later, but this works

4 hours ago, andydick said:

Normally go with Hornchurch but the kits are wrong and that annoys me so will wait until the pre-editor is out to change them.

Got a save for Berwick Rangers ready then saw someone else doing that save so have decided to go where I've never gone before - Portugal.

Game resets on 29th June.  Not sure exactly when the 20 promotions are decided but I had a save on 10th June (after the last game of the season) and ran it forward a couple of times but this generated the same 20.  Did the same on May 1st and got different teams so it's between May 1st and June 9th.

Anyway, rolled a random number between 1 and 20 and ended up with ...

image.png.ddb10b0421a20480549ed4317dfd818f.png

image.png.92eb84afbe5d4eb8dadd3d00234cad3a.png

You could always use a config.xml in your graphics, if the kits are wrong for Hornchurch. I didn't need the pre-editor to change the kits for Los Andes in my game.

20 hours ago, SuperRedditch said:

Let me know how your finances in Italy go. I'm losing £150k a month, mostly to 'non-footballing costs' and get about 800 fans per game - which seems mad for a 'fallen giant', Not sure if it's bugged.

so far so good, loosing money but not a mad amount

image.jpeg.725b9c283addbb46ed928a272cfaa494.jpeg

Season 1 2024/25

Manager Profile - Competitions - Finances

Competitions 

• Vanarama National League North - With a squad of 14 players and newly promoted my hopes weren't too high, fortunately we managed to avoid many injuries and my backup keeper only had to play outfield twice so it went pretty well really. A solid 13th place finish and in the play-off race for most of the season leaves me very positive for nest year when I can actually make subs, only missed the leagues goalscoring record by 3 goals but we conceded far too many, hopefully I can sort my defence out for next season.
  • English FA Trophy - Knocked out in the 3rd round, didn't prioritise either of the cup competitions at all.
  • English FA Cup - 3rd qualifying round, again didn't really pay much attention to the cups'

Squad - Plenty of options for rotation as you can see :lol:. I think most of the defensive struggles were down to me messing with the tactics all season and we just stopped scoring in the last half dozen games or so but the players were on the beach by then and they deserved it to be fair, far too many minutes for some players.

• Oliver Mehew - 43 G/A in 46 league games as my CAM, he dug the team out of trouble in more than a couple of games this season. I'm not expecting the same output next year and he shouldn't have to be playing every minute of every game so he'll still have legs come the end of the year.

Youth Intake - I forgot to grab a screenshot of the preview, it was 'excellent' but there wasn't any way to not be improving the first XI really. Lots of potential, a few half decent personalities and some players that could do a job in the first team and be at the right level all ready.

• Mathew Hughes (2025YP6) - Looks to be the star of the intake, has the ability to be in the team already. I don't know if they'll be much growth given we're part time and his personality is woeful but fingers crossed.

Transfers & Finances - The outs were all arranged from before I came in at the start of the season. The money isn't looking great, lost about £100k over the season but should be able to put the club back in the black with an extensive pre-season. No worries so far.

Other

• Managed to convince the board to send me for my first Coaching Badge, they wouldn't even consider anything else which given the club being in debt is fair enough I suppose.
Edited by Virtual Male

2 minutes ago, Virtual Male said:

Plenty of options for rotation as you can see :lol:

Seems luxurious to me! :D

image.png.d838419577079da24ec260275d2c8187.png

See that condition? I have a match the next day...

13 minutes ago, Virtual Male said:

@XaW That's rough! It looks like the first season is just about holding on and wrapping everyone in cotton wool.

It is, often times, but I'm doing fine so far. Just hit Jan 1st and I'm currently 5th, 6 points behind the top and 7 point clear of dropping out of the playoff. Quite a lot better than I would expect, but we have dropped off a bit now, as the fatigue is really starting to take its toll.

When did the intake come for your team? I'm eager to get it! :D 

1 minute ago, XaW said:

It is, often times, but I'm doing fine so far. Just hit Jan 1st and I'm currently 5th, 6 points behind the top and 7 point clear of dropping out of the playoff. Quite a lot better than I would expect, but we have dropped off a bit now, as the fatigue is really starting to take its toll.

When did the intake come for your team? I'm eager to get it! :D 

It came in at the start of April, I think there were still 6 or 7 games left in the season. Later than usual.

6 minutes ago, Virtual Male said:

It came in at the start of April, I think there were still 6 or 7 games left in the season. Later than usual.

Alright, I hoped it was earlier, but I just have to endure, and in enduring grow strong. (That's an old school reference for you guys! :D)

So I had been flying high in the Vanarama North in FM 23, sitting 3rd in season 1 then I transfer over and its injuries galore, form drops off a cliff and I can't help but be paranoid that its moving the game over (not necessarily the process but perhaps the formation and tactics I've been playing are no longer effective). Coupled with the lack of achievements I'm parking England for now (again)

I'm going to try out Bulgaria

New Teams Date: 24th May

New Season Date: 17th June

My team for this challenge will be Vihar Slavyanovo:

image.png.47c02d2ad1e67fc0abec05da12ea2589.png
image.png.8ec500512d212c6726b9fe090412886e.png

image.png.5638cfb529f0fed229c916932062a234.png

12 man squad but a couple of standouts if I can keep them fit enough and available.

image.thumb.png.a3684f011c15d952fd8fe1acf1f4515b.png

image.thumb.png.375afce45325d38eacedeab5c3fbb2ea.png

31 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I see that there are no more fining players for poor performances anymore. There goes free determination skill points! 

It was removed because it's illegal to do so in real life. Quite a good reason! And that is also removes an exploit is fine by me. :D 

Oriental Dragon 2024/25

20231021092032_1.thumb.jpg.dfc3627ae15cda353db0223fe0f653c9.jpg

A surprisingly good first season with our chinese portugese club. We started off great and were actually in second place for most of the year but we fell short in the end with key players suspended and injured. In the portugese cup we lost in the first round to some lower league club but I couldn´t care less, the money wasn´t big and it´s all about the league for us the coming years.

Squad

20231021092102_1.thumb.jpg.05b7a1daf3b1e73cccd46723f98f47c0.jpg

The good players (the non chinese ones) are great and the not so good players (the chinese ones) are really bad but that will hopefully change in a few seasons.

Youth Intake

20231021090843_1.thumb.jpg.31396342fb2400278430a2b9c44198da.jpg

20231021090856_1.thumb.jpg.4b4606f3836b47c10bf6aa55150d57cb.jpg

The best one by far in this intake. He will start right away as our striker!

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

It was removed because it's illegal to do so in real life. Quite a good reason! And that is also removes an exploit is fine by me. :D 

Agree, it's a good thing! I basically stopped using it for the last two FM's, good that its gone! 

19 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Oriental Dragon 2024/25

20231021092032_1.thumb.jpg.dfc3627ae15cda353db0223fe0f653c9.jpg

A surprisingly good first season with our chinese portugese club. We started off great and were actually in second place for most of the year but we fell short in the end with key players suspended and injured. In the portugese cup we lost in the first round to some lower league club but I couldn´t care less, the money wasn´t big and it´s all about the league for us the coming years.

Squad

20231021092102_1.thumb.jpg.05b7a1daf3b1e73cccd46723f98f47c0.jpg

The good players (the non chinese ones) are great and the not so good players (the chinese ones) are really bad but that will hopefully change in a few seasons.

Youth Intake

20231021090843_1.thumb.jpg.31396342fb2400278430a2b9c44198da.jpg

20231021090856_1.thumb.jpg.4b4606f3836b47c10bf6aa55150d57cb.jpg

The best one by far in this intake. He will start right away as our striker!

What is Peng Yong's media description there? *scratches head*

Just realised I signed in my new PC with my email address account rather than screen name, so just to clarify its me thats doing this save:

So I had been flying high in the Vanarama North in FM 23, sitting 3rd in season 1 then I transfer over and its injuries galore, form drops off a cliff and I can't help but be paranoid that its moving the game over (not necessarily the process but perhaps the formation and tactics I've been playing are no longer effective). Coupled with the lack of achievements I'm parking England for now (again)

I'm going to try out Bulgaria

New Teams Date: 24th May

New Season Date: 17th June

My team for this challenge will be Vihar Slavyanovo:

image.png.47c02d2ad1e67fc0abec05da12ea2589.png
image.png.8ec500512d212c6726b9fe090412886e.png

image.png.5638cfb529f0fed229c916932062a234.png

12 man squad but a couple of standouts if I can keep them fit enough and available.

image.thumb.png.a3684f011c15d952fd8fe1acf1f4515b.png

image.thumb.png.375afce45325d38eacedeab5c3fbb2ea.png

17 minutes ago, Sizeman21 said:

What is Peng Yong's media description there? *scratches head*

Young winger, I play in swedish normally so I guess the game missed to translate that when I changed language for the screenshots :D

I survived, only just, the first season as manage of Toledo. The expectations were high, finishing in the playoff spots, and I failed dismally. After losing the last game of the season to finish 11th I was called into my second board meeting of the season to discuss my future. I managed to talk my way out of a sacking and will be manager for a second season. 

League Table

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Copa Real Federación Española de Fútbol

A highlight of the season was making the final of the Copa Real Federación Española de Fútbol but it ended in a low light when we were thrashed in the final 3-0.

Spoiler

Best Players

My best player was undoubtedly my striker Manu Gavilan who scored 22 goals and 5 assists in 33 league games. However he is 33 and I might not be able to rely him as much next season.

Spoiler

Other excellent players were my full back Carlos Moreno and David Luna as well as midfielder Arturo Segado. Attacking midfielder Pepe Delgado topped the assists with 9 assist along with 6 goals.

Youth Intake

My youth intake was excellent with 4 elite talents, although it was described as a poor intake. The best player I believe to be striker Carlos Hernandez although his personality is not great.

Spoiler

Next season I need to improve my performance as manager markedly otherwise I will not survive as manager. I imagine that expectations will be the same, make the playoffs. The defence is going to be weakened as I will lose two starting CBs, one to retirement and one who is leaving on the free transfer as his contract is ending. Hopefully the rest of the squad will stay around and some of the youngsters will make an impact.

2 hours ago, Mahzun_Savas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Apparently this is a poor intake, lol. It certainly seems to be an excellent intake to me.

Could be a bug. My first intake was also just poor apparently.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb WhiteCat33:

It's exciting to see everyone's new save destinations - especially Japan! I however have unfinished business in the Caribbean and plan to continue on in FM23 to see how far I can take the island nation. As a quick recap for anyone new:

I started in the 3rd tier of Barbados in the Caribbean. While it is very easy to get to the top-flight of Barbados due to their being no domestic money going professional is a mammoth task. While there is money in the continental competition, its nothing like you're used to in Europe. However, to even qualify for the North American Champions League (NACL) from Barbados you have to win the Cup competition. Unfortunately, even though within 5 seasons we were winning the domestic league, we always seemed to flub it in the cup only winning it about 1 in 3 seasons.

Great @WhiteCat33 you're not the only one with unfinished business! Congrats and keep going the Earl wishes you a good hand in all decisions.

btw how old is your manager profile now? The Earl is almost 70 and he won't work another 10 years I think. 

@fries our long term rivals no friendly generates more cash! They beat us up for years! Strong first season congrats

vor 10 Stunden schrieb fries:

new FM, and thus a new Youth Academy Challenge.

I started with Dulwich Hamlet, and as I wrote earlier we started out very well. I employed a 5-4-1 tactic with a lonely striker, four central midfielders, and attacking fullbacks.

After 22 games we had won incredible 19 games and lost 3. We was a clear number 1 in the league. But a bad form in December and in February meant that we threw away the first position.

In the end, we managed to get the 3rd position and a play off spot for promotion. A very good first season!

Edited by HanziZoloman