Íbis Sport Club - The Attributeless, Blind Scouting, 5-2-2-1 Years!

This is taken from my blog;

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/

I feel that while attributes are a vital part of Football Manager, I think we have all become far too reliant on the actual numeric value of the attribute above all else. My aim is to take control back and use all the utilities the game has to offer to show that focusing on attributes isn’t the only way to play.

Some of you might find this way too time-consuming, and that’s fine. It probably is for some of you. That’s the beauty of Football Manager; there are many different ways to play the game and we all do quirky little things to bring us enjoyment and add longevity to the game. 

Attributes, what attributes! FM23

Playing Football Manager attributeless isn’t something new or revolutionary, lots of people have done it in the past. If you’ve followed my stuff for a while on the older website, you will know that I have done it a fair few times too and wrote about it too. This year is no different in that sense and I’ll be doing it again. So first things first, people always ask me why I would play with no attributes and what’s the point of it all.

Well, the answer is simple really, there is no point to it other than adding another layer of difficulty to the game. This keeps me interested in the game and lets me immerse myself in it fully.

As a game Football Manager hasn’t really changed much, it’s still a simple game and the basics of what it's about will never change. The game might get new features added but at its core, it's still a football game. This means that some of us who try to stop ourselves from getting bored or want to increase the difficulty for ourselves, try to do these other ways.

That’s why I and others go attributeless. But this isn’t the only thing I do to try and retain my interest in the game and make life more difficult by doing other things on top of this.

I don’t see the point of playing attributeless if you still use real player names in the game as a lot of them will be familiar to you. So for me, I always play with fake names in a proper long-term way. Again it makes sure that I don’t kind of cheat and sign players that I know. I know it’s a single-player game and it doesn’t really matter if you do, do it that way. I’m not judging those that do but for me, I like to go all in.

In regards to attributes, I have someone make me panels every year for a skin that removes attributes and their references completely from the game. You can kind of do this via altering the attribute skin colours in the options but the attributes are still visible in graphs on certain screens like the player development page within the game. So I like to get these deleted so I don’t stumble across them and forget I shouldn’t visit that page. They also remove all star ratings and potential from the skin too.

What all of this means is that I just focus on playing the game and become really involved in the day-to-day running of the club. The staff become invaluable for me playing this way and while the feedback they give isn’t always the best it usually is enough to aid me in the way I’m trying to approach the game. Ultimately I’m the one still making all the final decisions at the club but I like to hear the opinions of my staff no matter how right or wrong they may be.

Data

I still don’t know what club I will be at either yet because I plan on holidaying for 10+ years so I can have some kind of historical data available to me in-game. It’s a real shame that this will likely be the trickiest part of the game though as Football Manager doesn’t actually allow you to see season-by-season historical data in the game. For this, I’ll have to create several saves for every season played before I take over a team, so I can refer back to check things out. This is annoying as hell but worth it in the long run.

It would be a godsend if Football Manager 23 allowed us to do this though right? Maybe I am lucky and this is one of the changes (nothing announced so far for FM23 when writing this) this year.

The reason for wanting data is because I want to do some kind of save that focuses heavily on data and uses it to identify possible players to sign. I hate the term Moneyball on Football Manager as people usually think signing a wonderkid for a low price and selling them for a massive profit in 3 years time is Moneyball. It isn’t. What I’m hoping to do is to use the data correctly more in line with that of a Moneyball approach. This brings me on to scouting.

Scouting

This is likely the part where I reaffirm I’m a massive knobhead to you all (like you all didn’t already know eh?!!). While my scouts will be identifying players for me all I’ll have to go on is the feedback they give about each player. So the player reports will be vital for what happens next due to me not being able to see any of the player's potential or current potential. I will be manually scouting players. When I say manually scouting players, I don't mean via filters on the player search screen etc. I mean watching them play actual games for their clubs and acting like I'm a real scout.

Any player I view is because my scouts identified the player first or because I’ve asked them to look at someone based on specific data. My scouts will scout everywhere that I'm allowed. Then I will create various shortlists to help me maintain a proper scouting network long-term. This is important because I’m not just looking for players, for now, I’ll be looking for players, for now, next season, the season after etc. And all of this will change depending on what type of success I have. So it becomes really important that I cover all bases and have identified players for all different types of scenarios short-term and long-term. 

These Football Manager shortlists will be along the lines of youth players/older players and then I’ll have specific ones that I add for various phases. These phases are things like the player is ready now, needs a year, needs 2 years, could fill in short-term but I need better long-term and so on. To give you a better idea, here is a picture of some of the shortlists I have used in the past;

Football Manager 

It sounds like a lot of faffing around but it's much simpler than it sounds. The hardest part is deciding who makes which list and the manual scouting I do of the players myself. When a scout identifies a player, I’ll look at the scout report and request an analyst report.

The System

This is probably the most time-consuming part of the whole process of Football Manager, designing some kind of rating/grading system to help you use the information your coaches, scouts and analysts give you. But once you’ve created this system everything is straightforward, it’s just setting it up at the start that can be a ballache. You’ll also need custom views set up to allow you to see the data you are searching for. I’ll do a separate post for this at a later date once Football Manager 23 is out.

Each position and role has its own criteria, so the system I use is very dynamic and doesn’t follow the same criteria. I then basically rate each criterion in either an A (Excellent level), B (Good enough for the club), C (Not good enough for the club) and D (Really bad) and create a total score for the scout report. Now the scout report I mention here isn’t the scout report on the player's profile, no sir/madame! This will be my own scout report from manually scouting every potential candidate my scouts find. These will be based on how reports are done in real life.

Now to play this way is very time-consuming initially until you come up with a system to help you with the process. What I’m about to show you, all the data might not be available for in-game so a lot of this is based on visuals from what I see. It also looks a lot more complex than it really is because the actual system I use in-game will be shortened down and grouped together. But to give you a general idea, here is the initial thought process.

Let’s call these timestamps because that’s what they basically are, where a player does an action and then I decide if he’s capable of doing the action or not.

Example of criteria

Defending

• Interceptions
  • Space in his back 
  • Pressing
  • Transitions between Attack to Defence

Attacking

• Operational speed (How quick does he act on the ball)
  • Passing to midfielders/dribbling into midfield
  • Short passing
  • Long range passing
  • Teamplay/reading the game
  • Transitions between defence to attack

Physical

• Speed < 5 Metres
  • Speed > 15 Metres
  • Agility
  • Challenges
  • Aerial Ability
  • Stamina

All of the above is similar for each position but I’d add to it depending on what the position I was looking at is. For example, wingers would have dribbling and one on one's etc. I don’t want to devise a system that is universal for each role and position as that isn’t really helpful. Each report I do will be bespoke based on position, role and duty. In the end, I’ll also decide whether the player has potential or not based on what we've seen and whether there is much room for development. Then I will give them a grade based on what I think.

I was going to work along the lines of this for a centre back; 

• Ball Control (becoming more important for defenders if playing out from the back)
  • Bravery in attempting challenges
  • Concentration
  • Communication
  • Height
  • Position
  • Reading of the game
  • Speed
  • Strong and accurate ball heading (defensive and attacking)
  • Tackling ability

It will all depend on the roles I have planned too in the tactic I’m going to use. Believe it or not, I’ve not even put any thought into that yet. There are no such 'fixed' roles in real life as there are on Football Manager and players are asked to be much more versatile these days but specific criteria may not be as important for a no-nonsense defender for instance. 

For example, speed and agility can be important to my team if we often play with a relatively high line. It can also be used to see how he copes with space at the back too. So judging these criteria will be the same for every team but some are more relevant and therefore more important to certain styles/teams if that makes sense.

If I used a box-to-box midfielder on Football Manager, I'd be looking for something along these lines

• Awareness
  • Ball control
  • Breaking into the opposing box
  • Marking abilities
  • Passing ability under pressure
  • Positioning
  • Stamina
  • Tackling and defensive abilities

Defending

• Interceptions
  • Positioning
  • Pressing
  • Transitions between Attack to Defence

Attacking

• Operational speed (How quick does he act on the ball)
  • 360 degrees awareness
  • Final passing (in the final third)
  • Teamplay/reading the game
  • Transitions between defence to attack
  • Scoring ability

Physical

• Speed < 5 Metres
  • Speed > 15 Metres
  • Agility
  • Challenges
  • Stamina

As you can see this is my thought process so far and how stuff will be worked out. I’ve actually streamlined it to work in the game but just wanted to give you an insight into the actual thought process behind what I’m doing. The criteria are pretty similar across the board but have been tailored for specific roles and duties. 

A lot of the above will be grouped together under stuff like ball control etc. All of this will also work hand in hand with the data when I’m looking to identify players to bring in. The whole point of all of this is to create a club philosophy and a real DNA for the club. I want the club to be the DNA that I’m creating and focus on this above all else. 

I’ll share the more in-depth stuff in a future update and possibly share all the metrics I’ll be using if people are interested but there is an awful lot of them. I just wanted to get this post out there for you to have a little insight into my complex plans. Hope you enjoy it.

Edited by Cleon

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shampoo, Hairdressing, And A Love Affair is the start of a new Football Manager 2023 series.

I’ve mulled over who to play as on Football Manager 23 for quite some time now. I did plan on playing in Denmark with Amager Boldklub Tårnby and even completed the first season with them. But it just didn’t feel right, I wasn’t enjoying it at all. As many of you will know, it’s not often I actually play in Europe on Football Manager as I find it boring.

It likely didn’t help that on Football Manager 22 I had one of the most enjoyable saves I have ever had. I spent the best part of 20 seasons in Iceland playing as Þór Akureyri and taking them to multiple Champions League victories. The Danish save felt a bit similar to this I think that’s why I wasn’t really getting into the save. So I began looking for something else.

003-1024x768.jpg

Now a lot of you will have likely heard about this club because they earned the tagline Pior Time do Mundo, which translates to Worst Team in The World due to going 55 games without a win. The not-so-impressive record was earned during a period of 3 years and 11 months between July 1980 and June 1984.

Their embarrassing record stood at;

• 55 games without a win
  • 48 losses
  • 7 draws
  • 231 goals conceded
  • 25 goals scored

This wasn’t the reason for choosing to manage Íbis Sport Club though and I could have easily chosen someone else. One of the other options was Atlético Mogi who also boasts another spectacular record for not winning. More recently in fact, June 2017 to June 2022 they had a record of;

• 5 years without a win
  • 56 games without a win
  • 53 losses
  • 3 draws
  • 221 goals conceded
  • 24 goals scored

There were also other teams I considered too but I narrowed it down to these two. Now I already knew about these teams beforehand but and have for many years. Or so I thought. The more I began researching the two teams and going over their history the more and more Íbis Sport Club began to stand out.

The club embraced the fact they were rubbish and celebrate it like it was a major honour. They also have a really strong social media presence and like to take the **** out of themselves. They’ve become somewhat successful marketing-wise and have turned the bad fortunes of the club into an international brand.

One of the deciding factors for choosing Íbis Sport Club though was the characters associated with the club and especially one particular icon. Left-footed, cool hair, and a number 10! What is there not to love?!

Mauro Teixeira Thorpe better known as Mauro Shampoo is widely celebrated and became the face of the club during the run mentioned above despite only ever scoring 1 goal.

He’s become a bit of a star in his own right and turned the misfortunes into a huge success. There’s even a short film about him;

MV5BY2UwZDE4NjAtMzlhYi00NTIwLTk4ZWItMjcx

Mauro Shampoo also inspired a song, soundtrack of the Cinefoot-winning film: “An Incredible História de Mauro Shampoo”, by Oswaldo Montenegro.

“This is the true story / Brazilian urban legend / Viva Mauro Shampoo! / The glorious centre-forward of defeat / That we chase away sadness / Like the vulture chases away / It is in the goal against which joy is tested / Goal of plate is fantasy / Because baião is not blues..."

It gets even better though. One of his children also became a footballer and played for Íbis Sport Club but never became as famous. Honved Thorpe his son, arguably has the better nickname though, the Shampuzinho!!

Mauro Shampoo is too much of a character for me to ignore and seems like the ideal man manager to use for playing as Íbis Sport Club on Football Manager 2023.

Edited by Cleon

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Brilliant. Was waiting for this. It's not like i have the right players to change to this tactic, but I do like to see how genius thinks.

Well, hang on a cotton pickin' minute here - I'm gonna have to take this comment back. I THOUGHT I didn't have the players, but I tried it for the heck of it - and WOAH!

I've gone with the high-possession version and won 4-0 with 73 progressive passes and 124 final third passes (the oppo had15 and 7, plus 2 off-target shots). Players getting mediocre ratings suddenly blossom, others festering in my reserves turn out to be damn good wingbacks in this set up. I'm a lower league manager with Loch Ness FC, expected to struggle - I'm supposed to be using a stereotypical counter-attacking direct style. I knew it didn't suit my slow squad with poor passing, but I never imagined this would be the solution.

Direct passing was just gifting the ball to the opposition; this super-short passing style is a revelation. The lack of quickness led me to set up with an ultra-low D-line and low block - I did not expect to survive with a high D-line and high LoE - but it worked, with my 3 DCs looking nicely composed. Previously with that set-up neither of my 2 DCs could get through 90 minutes, so I always had 2 of my 3 subs booked in - no longer - the XI use up less energy with the high line despite the pressing. It works. It not only works -  it's beautiful to watch. Thanks, Cleon! :thup:

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks for another article @Cleon

Which style you prefer between those you've presented us? A lower block or a  possession playing style?

Both are good in their own right and produce the same result. I don't have one that I prefer out of the styles. I'm already thinking towards how I can adapt it to be something else. But that's a me thing, I get bored playing the season way for multiple season.

2 hours ago, Renato Aragão said:

Looks like a great challenge!! Looking forward for this one.

Do you mind me asking what database you used for Brazil @Cleon??? I couldnt find any good one at the moment

It's the Mundiup one. My Brazilian friend send it me.

49 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Well, hang on a cotton pickin' minute here - I'm gonna have to take this comment back. I THOUGHT I didn't have the players, but I tried it for the heck of it - and WOAH!

I've gone with the high-possession version and won 4-0 with 73 progressive passes and 124 final third passes (the oppo had15 and 7, plus 2 off-target shots). Players getting mediocre ratings suddenly blossom, others festering in my reserves turn out to be damn good wingbacks in this set up. I'm a lower league manager with Loch Ness FC, expected to struggle - I'm supposed to be using a stereotypical counter-attacking direct style. I knew it didn't suit my slow squad with poor passing, but I never imagined this would be the solution.

Direct passing was just gifting the ball to the opposition; this super-short passing style is a revelation. The lack of quickness led me to set up with an ultra-low D-line and low block - I did not expect to survive with a high D-line and high LoE - but it worked, with my 3 DCs looking nicely composed. Previously with that set-up neither of my 2 DCs could get through 90 minutes, so I always had 2 of my 3 subs booked in - no longer - the XI use up less energy with the high line despite the pressing. It works. It not only works -  it's beautiful to watch. Thanks, Cleon! :thup:

Ha my players are also very poor. I'd be shocked if any of them had double digits for attributes and I started in the Brazilian 6th tier, so as you can imagine not easy.

I think there's a misconception in general that you can't play beautiful football in the lower leagues like Man City, Barca etc do. But you actually can.

12 hours ago, 뜨페이뜨 said:

It has nothing to do with the article, but can I ask for the tactical article for 1982 Brazil?

Previously written https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/363887-the-art-of-analysis-and-tweaking-the-brazilian-box-4-2-2-2/
I read this article very impressed.

I wonder how you would describe the Brazilian tactics in 1982.

It would likely need another thread of its own for this, as the subject is really detailed.

45 minutes ago, Cleon said:

It would likely need another thread of its own for this, as the subject is really detailed.

It doesn't matter how long it takes. Can I ask you a favor?

Flamengo's tactical analysis is more curious, but there are also difficult and trivial parts.
So I'd like to ask for the 1982 Brazilian tactic.

I wonder how you interpret the position of my favorite Zico player.

18 minutes ago, 뜨페이뜨 said:

It doesn't matter how long it takes. Can I ask you a favor?

Flamengo's tactical analysis is more curious, but there are also difficult and trivial parts.
So I'd like to ask for the 1982 Brazilian tactic.

I wonder how you interpret the position of my favorite Zico player.

I'm not sure I have the time for anything like this. I already have lots of stuff planned and started already that I need to finish. I did a big analysis piece on the 70's Brazilian side though.

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

이런 일을 할 시간이 있는지 잘 모르겠습니다. 나는 이미 많은 일을 계획하고 시작했으며 끝내야 할 일이 있습니다. 그래도 70년대 브라질 쪽에서 큰 분석을 했습니다.

okay.. thank you for your answer

Regarding Brazil, is this correct? I can't see the picture now.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/363887-the-art-of-analysis-and-tweaking-the-brazilian-box-4-2-2-2/

Edited by 뜨페이뜨

17 minutes ago, 뜨페이뜨 said:

okay.. thank you for your answer

Regarding Brazil, is this correct? I can't see the picture now.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/363887-the-art-of-analysis-and-tweaking-the-brazilian-box-4-2-2-2/

Yes. But I wrote about the 4-2-2-2 last year and did a book all about it. So it's more upto date. It can be found here;

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/2022/08/19/football-manager-playbook-released/

7 minutes ago, Cleon said:

예. 그러나 나는 작년에 4-2-2-2에 대해 썼고 그것에 관한 모든 것을 책으로 썼습니다. 그래서 더 최신입니다. 여기에서 찾을 수 있습니다.

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/2022/08/19/football-manager-playbook-released/

It must have been difficult for you to understand because my English is not good enough. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

Brilliant thread Cleon. I really enjoy your writing and looking forward to reading more. What skin do you use here by the way? I like the tactics screen. 

It's this one;

On 18/12/2022 at 07:22, Cleon said:

Currently in the middle of writing some analysis and data pieces on the 5-2-2-1 and how I use the data to refine the system. As well, as using the data to identify issues and fix them.

This will be great.

18 hours ago, Cleon said:

Thanks. I'm about 4k words in so far and posted a little snippet on social media earlier. But I'll post it here too to wet the appetite;

I've seen a lot of confusion surrounding the defensive line and the new settings step up, drop off more. So here is a little something from an article I am writing;

you’d conceded space in front of the defence to reduce the space behind them. This can be handy for cutting out those direct balls to the attackers or balls played over the top behind your defensive line. Rather than your defensive line remaining high and increasing the chance they’ll get turned and beat for pace you can minimise the risk of this as they retreat backwards. Allowing you to stay tight and compact.

lol.Sounds like I'd better in the DROP OFF MORE.

5 hours ago, 뜨페이뜨 said:

I'd like to ask you a question.

In the 4231 tactic, amc is at the center of the team and is preparing tactics to make it an ace.
May I ask for some advice on this?

I want to be the ace of the perfect team like maradona, pele, zico and platini.

It all depends on the rest of the setup. This thread is likely the wrong one for the question. Perhaps create a new thread with how you set up, what you're wanting etc and people can contribute to it.

PART ONE

This article - FM23: Data and Analysis to Enhance Team Tactics and Formations talks you through how I approach the game and use this data to shape my own tactics. I take a deep dive and discuss how I use the data and analysis to find issues, and attempt to fix them, amongst a whole host of other things too.

FM23: Data and Analysis Introduction

One of the key ways that teams can use data and analysis to improve their formations is by studying game footage to identify areas of strength and weakness. For example, a team may notice that they are having difficulty creating scoring opportunities from open play, and may use data and analysis to identify the reasons for this issue. This could involve studying the positions of their players during attacking phases, and using performance-tracking systems to measure factors such as the distance between players and their movement patterns.

Another way that teams can use data and analysis to improve their formations is by analyzing player stats and team tactics. For example, a team may notice that their formation is not allowing them to maintain possession of the ball effectively, and may use data to identify which players are losing the ball most frequently and where they are losing it. This information can then be used to make changes to the team's formation and tactics, such as adjusting the positions of certain players or using different types of passes to maintain possession.

Overall, the use of data and analysis in football is becoming increasingly important, and teams are using these tools to identify and solve issues with their formations, as well as to plan for upcoming games. By studying game footage, analyzing player stats and team tactics, and using technology such as performance tracking systems, teams can gain valuable insights into their performance and make informed decisions about how to improve their formations and tactics.

For example, a team may use data to identify areas of the field where they are most likely to score goals and focus on taking shots from these areas during games. Similarly, a player may use data to identify their most accurate shooting areas and work on improving their shooting from other areas of the field.

Stag’s Performance-Tracking

Above when I was talking about real-life football, I mentioned performance-tracking systems on a few occasions. When I’m talking about this in Football Manager terms, I’m talking about things like Stag discusses. I’ll just link to his work as I couldn’t do it justice even if I wanted to. 

Additional Statistics in FM

Statistics – What does “good” look like in FM23?

These should give you an idea of how Stag created his performance-tracking systems and the data provided, to highlight how they work and what they track. When it comes to data on Football Manager, he is the person to follow, so check his work out.

Along with these performance-tracking metrics, wkdsoul (Gaz) also added Stag’s metrics into a tab on an attributeless skin. That can be found here;

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/571014-fm23-hodr-skin-attributeless-starless/

This is a great way of using Stag’s excellent data and metrics inside the game making it easier for you. For me, this has been one of the best addition to a Football Manager skin for a long-time. It allows me to get a quick snapshot of the data and how well my players are playing according to the data.

FM23: Data and Analysis

Remember that the data is subjective though and that a low metric score, is fine if you don’t expect the player to be doing those actions which score lower. There is only you who knows what you are wanting from your team and tactics, so the data and what is good for you will differ drastically from the above.

Stags' work is a brilliant starting point to adapt it for your own saves and decide which metrics are important to you.

Combining FM23: Data and Analysis

Once you’ve got a general idea of what data and metrics you’ll be using then it’s time to try applying this to your saved games by analysing games and the data.

Next Opponent

In addition to using data and analysis to identify and solve issues with your formations, you can also use these tools to plan for upcoming games. For example, you can use data to study the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent and adjust their formation and tactics accordingly.

Next-Opponent-1-1024x576.png

If you’ve assigned a scout and analyst to scout the next opposition, then in the data hub, the next opponent tab should resemble something like the above. Along with this, you should also have stuff under the team you are facings, team report. You can access that by going to the team you are playing and then choosing the team report tab.

Next-Opponent-2-1024x576.png

Some of the stuff you see under this tab overlap with the datahub but there is also information here you can’t find elsewhere. So if you really want to understand the opposition and see what their strengths and weaknesses are, then you should pay attention to these pages along with the data hub.

Before we jump back to the data hub let’s take a quick look at the information we can access on the team report page and how we can use that to our advantage.

On the overview above we can see what their best starting 11 is and have a rough idea of what role they play. Then on the right, we have a quick snapshot of the analyst report too. We can see that Sport Club do Recife are performing well above the league's average metrics. As a snapshot, we can see they’ll be no pushovers.

FM23: Data and Analysis Strengths and Weakness 

If we dig a little bit deeper into the scout report, we can see the strengths and weakness page;

Next-Opponent-3-1024x576.png

Personally speaking here, I don’t really use this page much but still wanted to highlight it and talk about ways you could possibly use it. The reason I don’t use it is I don’t think a lot of the information in the weaknesses is that helpful to me, especially as I’m attributeless. So I’m aware of my own players too.

From the strengths, we can see that they have a few relating to goalkeepers. Straight away we know this is a strength and just exactly how by the descriptions. So what we’ve learnt here is;

• Aerial reach
  • Keepers like to catch the ball
  • They can organise their defence with a strong command of the area.

If we wanted to use this information to our advantage then we know any type of crosses into the box from open play or set pieces will likely fail or have to be very accurate to find success. Now, I play a possession-based brand of football and limit crosses. You can find more about the actual tactic I’m using here, rather than me posting about it here. As it was the last part of this series we did;

The 5-2-2-1: A Comprehensive Guide

So for me, crossing won’t be a big deal as we look to retain the ball and do passes to feet rather than play an aerial game. But if you did play a crossing game then you could find your usual play might not be an effective strategy. It’s something you’d either need to adapt for before the game or (this is what I’d do if it was me) keep an eye on during the game. This way you could see exactly how it was impacting you, if at all.

This is my preferred method of playing, adapting to the game based on the actual context of how the match is playing out. You could do it before the game starts but that’s a lot of guesswork and there’s nothing to say your players can’t be successful. But it is certainly something you need to be aware of and ready to adapt to if it does actually cause issues during the game.

In the weaknesses, we again also see a lot related to the goalkeepers.

• Bad reflexes
  • Poor at one on ones
  • It suggests they have low handling

So the opposite of the strengths, which means we could take advantage of this by trying to isolate the goalkeepers and get them into one on one situations. We could perhaps try and get our attacking players into areas that will force the goalkeepers to dive across the goal or try to hold onto the ball.

Every set-up will be different how they could do this. But if we are talking about the 5-2-2-1 formation we use, then our two attacking midfielders and the striker will be vital here. Things we could attempt to do here would be;

• Shoot on sight to take advantage of the bad handling
  • Make the attacking midfielders more aggressive with a role or duty change
  • Pass into space to encourage the attacking trio to run onto the ball, rather than having it passed to their feet.

All of the above would be good ways of trying to test the goalkeepers, reflexes, handling and possible one on ones. It also says the squad in general is poor at positioning, concentration, anticipation, work rate and much more as I scroll down the list. This can all tie into what we do above.

We could also maybe try and take advantage of this in other ways too.

• Higher tempo
  • More direct passing
  • More attacking width

A higher tempo would see us moving the ball around faster and players being more hurried in their approach overall. This can unsettle the opposition and you can take advantage of any positional issues they have.

More direct passing will also do the same and could take advantage of bad positioning along with a lack of concentration. If the scout is saying they have low concentration then it’s obvious that they switch off and can’t stay focused for a full 90 minutes.

Attacking width can really stretch the player as it increases the positioning between your own players, meaning the opposition would have to account for this somehow. We know they lack concentration and general work rate too. So if we are asking the opposition to do more and faster with the other changes, then we have the potential to take advantage of all the weaknesses I’ve mentioned so far.

I’ll not list all the weaknesses as I’ve already mentioned I don’t use them and just wanted to give you a few brief examples of how we can use this to our own advantage. It’s also important to note there that if you do adapt and make changes to take advantage of their weaknesses then you will likely stray from your own tactical approach and style.

So just be wary of that when adapting to the opposition. If you adapt too much you lose your own identity so try and find the middle ground and correct balance for you.

Comparison

Now as I’m attributeless this page is useless for me as it doesn’t show anything. But in essence, it gives you the average of all your attributes compared to the opposition. Here you can see how you pit against them based on attributes. The general tab shows you things like average age, international caps and so on. So you don’t really get anything useful from this tab.

On the other tabs though you can see how your defence matches up to the opposition and so on. Then you can even compare physical, mental and technical attributes. This information can be very useful if you want to target certain areas of the pitch. While initially, it compares your defence vs the opposition's defence, for example, we can still match this up with other areas.

If we know the opposition's defence has a low average in this category and our attack has better jumping, speed, finishing, heading and so on. We could then perhaps try and target this area to take advantage of it. Things we could try are;

Speed advantage - We can ask players to try and get in behind the opposition more. You can do this with team or player instructions such as passing into space, crossing early or running at the defence more. All of this would allow the player to use his speed. When I’m talking about speed here though I’m purely talking about acceleration.

Pace would only be useful if it was a distance of 20 yards or similar, as this is a player's top speed. In shorter distances, he is hardly going to use this. So acceleration becomes more vital in these types of scenarios. As that is the player's ability to reach his pace from a still position. But to actually reach the top of his pace he’d require time and distance.

You can apply the above logic to other areas too. Or if you’re the team who is lacking in an area, you can try and reduce the impact. So if we reverse the roles above and you’re the one lacking the speed advantage then here is what you could do to try and reduce the possible weakness.

Defensive Line - This is your best friend when you lack speed. If you believe your players are mentally strong then playing with a high line when you lack speed shouldn’t be a major issue. As the players should be strong enough mentally to be in the correct positions and react better. But if they don’t then it’s likely going to be a massive issue. Mental attributes can offset any physical or technical attributes in my opinion. Mental attributes are essentially how intelligent the player is and intelligence outweighs everything for me.

If your defence is lacking in both speed and mental aspects then perhaps playing a more standard defensive line could be beneficial. As can perhaps use a sweeper keeper to help with the balls that are played over the top of the defence.

You can also still use a high defensive line even if they lack in all areas but perhaps take a more cautious approach and use the following setting;

Drop Off team instruction - This instruction is a defensive line modifier to how you want it to behave. So even if you are using a high line, you can still use this instruction. It then instructs the defensive players to be more cautious when someone is in a possibly dangerous situation. 

The players should drop deeper and be warier of danger. Let me show you a visual of how it should work in the game, to better explain the actions you should expect from the defenders.

Defensive-Line-1024x444.png

I use a high defensive line but in this scenario, we are slightly deeper than usual due to the shape of the opposition and how they set up. This impacts your own defensive line and can push it back. It’s worth noting that even with a high defensive line, it will look slightly different from game to game. So don’t expect high to always mean pushed up to the halfway line, lots of factors can alter the initial position.

So here we can see the defensive line we are holding. The opposition player, Souza is going to drive forward or pass the ball. This is where your defensive line setting kicks into action. If you don’t use the step-up or drop-off more instructions then the defensive line will just behave like usual.

But if you use the step-up instruction then in the image above, the players will be looking to step up at this point. As they know there is possible danger and you’ve instructed them to step up. So they’d look to reduce the space between the ball carrier/passer and play the attacking players offside.

With the step-up team instruction, you are possibly conceding space behind your defensive line to reduce the space in front of them between the ball and themselves.

If we were using the drop-off more instruction then they’ll be more cautious and if no one is pressing the ball immediately, then they’ll begin to drop deeper.  So in this type of scenario, you’d conceded space in front of the defence to reduce the space behind them.

This can be handy for cutting out those direct balls to the attackers or balls played over the top behind your defensive line. Rather than your defensive line remaining high and increasing the chance they’ll get turned and beat for pace, you can minimise the risk of this as they retreat backwards. Allowing you to stay tight and compact.

Jack Joyce who works on the match engine team for Football Manager, also posted about these settings. That post can be found here;

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/569916-step-up-more-drop-off-more-do-they-work/?do=findComment&comment=13808125

This is just one of the ways you can use this information and try and eliminate such issues. I’ll not write more about this page as I don’t have access to it but wanted to show you how you can use this information in your own save.

Before we move on to the team performance section of the article it’s also worth noting that the stats page of the team report can also be useful.

Stats-1024x576.png

Here we can get a quick snapshot of the basic stats and who is the best and worse at them. If you click on the little boxes it will take you to the team's overview page and will have filtered the stats to show you the entire metrics for the team in that particular thing.

You could use this page to find a possible weakness and try to exploit it. Or to identify a specific player, like the best passer, and check what position they play. If they’re a playmaker then you know that the likelihood is, the majority of the play goes through them. You could try and cut the supply off or mark the player tighter to try and limit how influential he could be.

FM23: Data and Analysis Team Performance

When watching a Football Manager game either in real-time or after the match, many things can be looked at to gain insights into a team's performance. Some common things to look out for include the positioning and movements of individual players, the team's formation and tactics, and the overall flow and tempo of the game.

For example, when I watch footage of a game, I look at the positioning of the players during the attacking and defensive phases. This could involve analysing the distance between players, the movements of individual players, and the positions they adopt when receiving the ball. By studying these factors, I can identify any issues with their positioning and movement, and make adjustments to improve their performance.

Or perhaps I don’t change anything and just make either a written or mental note about the things I am seeing happen. It’s important not to be rash with my decisions and change things without seeing why something happens.

Tactics and Formation Analysis

In addition to looking at player positioning and movement, I can also watch games to study the team's formation and tactics. This could involve analysing the team's overall formation, as well as the specific roles and responsibilities of individual players. By studying these factors, I can identify any issues with the formation and tactics, and make adjustments to enhance their performance.

Overall, when watching a game, there are many things to look out for, including player positioning and movement, team formation and tactics, and the overall flow and tempo of the game. By studying these factors, I can gain valuable insights into their performance and make informed decisions about how to improve and what our real weaknesses are.

My focus here is purely on what my own team does, I don’t pay attention to the AI or what they’re doing. If my team plays like how I’ve instructed then we’ll be successful. I want to force my style of play and tactics on the AI. I don’t want to be the one who is always adapting and losing sight of what we are building.

That doesn’t mean I won’t change things but for 99% of things, I only change if something we are doing, isn't working.

FM23: Data and Analysis General Performance Data

Now we can move on to the data hub and show how I use it to see how we are performing.

GPD-1-1024x576.png

These are our metrics at the end of the season for our first season in Brazil’s top division the Brasileirão - Série A. At first glance, the metrics don’t look too bad although we seem to be underperforming in a few of them. This is where things can get tricky when learning how to interpret this data. There are a few things we need to account for here;

• Expectation
  • Squad Quality
  • Playing Style

We were a newly promoted side who were expected to get relegated straight back to the Brasileirão - Série B. But we didn’t, we managed to stay competitive throughout the season and beat expectations. That doesn’t mean we dominated though or had a squad capable of dominating every aspect of the game. We focused on specific aspects to excel at, which we will discuss further in the article.

The quality of the squad was always going to be an issue. Last season the chairman sold our four best players for around £25 million and only gave us £500k to replace them. Which was understandable as we were haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate. Nonetheless, we managed to bring in a few decent players on free transfers. No one is really spectacular but enough to give us bodies and replace the positions we lost. Although the quality of those brought in wasn’t as good as the ones I lost.

I then had to decide how we were going to play at the start of the season. The season before I’d changed our playing style from a low possession one to one that craves possession, which I linked a little earlier in the article. It worked well over the season and got us promoted. So I decided we’d stick with that style.

What this meant was, to stop the opposition from hurting us with the ball, we have to retain possession at all costs. We didn’t have the quality in the side to go toe to toe with other teams as there’s some real heavyweights in this division. But if we dominate possession and time on the ball, we eliminate a lot of the opposition's threats.

Playing this way would also allow us to attempt to keep it tight at the back and if you can keep clean sheets, then you always have a chance of gaining points. All you need is to take your chances and be clinical at the other end and you have a winning combination. This is what we attempted to do.

So the key points for our season became;

• Retain possession at all costs
  • Keep clean sheets
  • Take our chances
  • Don’t be reckless overall

Now if we go back to the polygon above we can see I completed a lot of passes. We had a really high shot-on-target ratio which shows we aren’t being wasteful because we also had a higher goal-per-game ratio compared to the rest of the league too. Yet our expected goals were lower than the rest of the league's average as were our shots per game.

Overall I’m happy with our general performance overall initially. But while we are clinical it seems, the actual shot quality we have is quite poor. At some point, this will work against us. There is only so far and for so long that you can have success with poor shot quality, regardless of how clinical you are. Sooner or later the goals will dry up and those 1-0 wins we’ve had this year could become 0-0’s or even losses if our defence isn’t as strong too.

So we need to make a note of this and delve deeper into the reasonings behind why it’s way below the league's average. The low frequency of shots doesn’t bother me so much, as this was our intention. But perhaps we are keeping the ball more than we need to be. Yes, we’ve managed to overachieve this season but that happens when the things that went n our favour this year, start going against us. We will be in major trouble.

This is why we have to study the context in which you win games and play in general. You can have a fantastic season as I have but still be poor. If you want any type of consistency over a large period of time then you need to build a foundation that allows it. I’m not at that point yet and have lots of work to do.

Possession

Passes-Attempted.png

You can see we attempt passes at a rate much higher than the league's average. We can also see the areas we are attempting the passes from. Due to us playing out from the back there aren’t any real surprises here and the 24% and 37% of passes in these areas should be expected. We have an image now that shows we seem to attempt the most passes just before the halfway line.

There don’t seem to be many passes attempted deep in the final third of the opposition's half though. 6% seems really low, is this a contributing factor to the low quality of chances I mentioned a few moments ago? It seems like they could be connected. There are many reasons why this is happening though. 

What I’d do here is either make a mental note or write it down, so that later on, when we start the match analysis, I know what to look for. 

• Not many final third passes attempted
  • Low shot quality

Those are the main two factors we need to explore in more detail. It’s possible they’re both linked and part of the same issue. But we won’t know that until we start the analysis.

Passing.png

This just confirms what we already knew, that we have a high pass completion rate and we pass more than any other side.

Passing1.png

This screen is interesting as it gives us a little more insight into if our possession game is working or not. We lose possession less than any other side in the league which is a good indication of our playing style working. It shows we aren’t losing the ball much and reinforces the passing completed scatter graph.

Our possessions won per game is low though but that is likely due to us retaining the ball way above the average. Meaning we don’t have to win the ball back as much as other teams in the league.

Possessions-gained.png

I suspect our winning possessions just before the halfway line is a byproduct of our pressing game. As we use a high defensive line and aggressive press, it’s these sorts of areas I would expect us to win the ball back. Especially when our midfield is the strongest area of our tactic. I’d be really worried if we didn’t dominate this area. We seem to be doing well winning the ball in deep areas too.

Possessions-lost.png

A player records a lost possession any time he loses the ball in any way, be it a failed dribble, incomplete pass, going offside or any other action that results in his team losing possession. So this is again expected due to the 5-2-2-1 formation we are using being strongest in central midfield areas. This is where we have the most players at any given time, so losing possession here is expected.

It’s also worth noting that I also use ball-playing defenders too as they can often attempt to launch defence-splitting passes. Or risky passes in general from deep areas into the kind of area where we are recording lost possessions the most. It could be worth double-checking this when we do some match analysis to confirm if this is part of the issue or not.

Pitch-tilt.png

Teams producing a high number of final third passes against us are likely down to the high defensive line we employ. The way we play high up the pitch makes this a vulnerable area for is, if the defensive line is breached. This could be from being caught high up the pitch, balls over the top or their own defence-splitting passes.

I don’t think the numbers against us are that worrying though and seem to be in line with other teams who finished near the top of the table. We can be pretty happy with these metrics I feel and they don’t reveal any major issues.

passing-dynamic.png

Finally, we have the passing dynamic scatter graph that could be another indication of our press working. Teams complete a low number of passes against us which could be related to a number of things, all of which could be down to our tactic and playing style.

One of those is that the press is working and we aren’t giving the opposition much time on the ball. Which is making them hurry their passes and not be successful. It could also just be down to the fact of us having the majority of the ball share too. Meaning the opposition isn’t having the time in possession compared to the league's average, due to us dominating the ball.

Defensive Analysis

Now it’s time to look at specific areas in more detail to see if we can spot any issues or things we need to work on.

Defending.png

We are quite solid defensively and have bodies in the way to block shots, so the defensive structure seems to be working. Us making fewer clearances than other teams isn’t really an issue as it is part of our tactical setup. We’ve instructed the team to play out from the back. So when the ball is won back, we are likely trying to pass the ball around rather than lumping it up the pitch or into the stands.

Defensive-actions.png

A defensive action metric is a statistic that measures the number or effectiveness of defensive actions taken by a player or team during a game. This can include tackles, interceptions, clearances, and other actions that help prevent the opposing team from scoring or advancing the ball.

While we have made less than the average for the league on defensive actions, we are doing them in the areas you’d expect. 38% in and around our own box. Playing out from the back could be another factor as to why we are below the league's average as it we don’t do clearances often or it could be down to something else. I’m going to make a note of this and add it to our list alongside 

• Not many final third passes attempted
  • Low shot quality
  • Defensive actions

I don’t think it’s a major concern but I want to check just to be sure a little later on.

The article is becoming really long here, so I’ve no real choice but to split it up. If I don’t there are going to be other 5k+ words and that is likely too long to retain your attention.

In the second part of the article, we use the data discussed above to work out if our tactics are working and what we need to improve on. While also taking a deep dive into actual matches and seeing how the data lines up with what you see happening on the pitch.

We tie it all together. For example, do you want to know if your press is working and use the data to confirm it is while watching a game? Or want to know how I use the data to decide team instruction changes?  We have it covered and so much more.

Hope you’ve enjoyed the first part.

Edited by Cleon

Not sure I see the value in preventing the possibility of more discussion if you're disappointed with the lack of engagement. Keep in mind that the holidays likely decrease the amount of time people are spending on forums, etc.

For what it's worth, I was interested to see how you go from the list of issues highlighted in the data to in-game analysis.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Genuinely thought more people would have been interested in this thread due to the tactics and analysis but think I maybe wrong.

Can a mod close it please.

I'm following you on your website, so I see your articles there first. I'm actually in the process of beginning a new save where I incorporate many lessons learned from yourself (I slightly adapted your tactic into a 5-2-1-2 but the instructions are mostly the same and I'm going attributeless and data-led, Jack Joyce's England DNA series and Daljit's Porto Academy Challenge. I'm really excited about it.

11 hours ago, Prolix said:

Not sure I see the value in preventing the possibility of more discussion if you're disappointed with the lack of engagement. Keep in mind that the holidays likely decrease the amount of time people are spending on forums, etc.

For what it's worth, I was interested to see how you go from the list of issues highlighted in the data to in-game analysis.

The thread was posted way before the holidays though and got zero engagement. Personally I don't believe it's an holiday thing, there's lots of great threads on here that seem to get zero engagements nowadays. I just don't think there's many people left on here who enjoy a discussion anymore.  If there's no interactions there's zero point in me keep updating the thread and talking to myself. More effort than it's worth in the hope that someone might eventually ask something. As the thread will just fade away and no one really reads past page 1. 

Sorry for me I meant the school holidays. It's summer here and the kids have been off since early December. I'd like to finish reading this all before commenting on the material but safe to say it's brilliant as usual.

34 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The thread was posted way before the holidays though and got zero engagement. Personally I don't believe it's an holiday thing, there's lots of great threads on here that seem to get zero engagements nowadays. I just don't think there's many people left on here who enjoy a discussion anymore.  If there's no interactions there's zero point in me keep updating the thread and talking to myself. More effort than it's worth in the hope that someone might eventually ask something. As the thread will just fade away and no one really reads past page 1. 

I think it's just the way it is. I've got a bit shirty with a couple of posters who don't want to read, don't want to discuss - they just want an insta-fix. Maybe the diminished numbers who want a deeper dive get it from YouTubes, Twitch, Discord and websites these days, dunno.

Part two of the analysis, I'm hoping I can have it finished by the weekend at the latest hopefully. I have lots of other stuff related to this save half finished too. As I've played 10 seasons now. So have lots to finish off in terms of tactics, analysis and scouting.

4 hours ago, Cleon said:

I totally understand you mate. It is very frustrating when you spend a lot of time researching and writing something and then get minimal engagement. There are too many people these days looking for quick fixes from YouTube streamers who don't really appreciate a good written discussion. Which is the reason why I appreciate all that more the few people that I can get engaged in a thread sometimes.

Edited by crusadertsar

Hi @Cleon

I am really enjoying the thread and it has been very insightful seeing your approach to tactical analysis using data. I am also doing a save with the same skin and one of the things that I have found most difficult is youth development. As you have played 10 seasons and have a greater experience, did you prioritise youth development at all and if so how did you go about doing so? 

2 hours ago, Fmplaya said:

Hi @Cleon

I am really enjoying the thread and it has been very insightful seeing your approach to tactical analysis using data. I am also doing a save with the same skin and one of the things that I have found most difficult is youth development. As you have played 10 seasons and have a greater experience, did you prioritise youth development at all and if so how did you go about doing so? 

I just approached youth development like I did on all saves. Just train the player in the roles I'm using in the tactic. Training is a bit boring on a save like this as you can't see the attributes so don't know what the player needs. But I just trained roles and used a lot of technical schedules to reinforce the possession aspect of the tactic and work on the core attributes that are needed for this style.

On 02/01/2023 at 05:45, Cleon said:

Genuinely thought more people would have been interested in this thread due to the tactics and analysis but think I maybe wrong.

Can a mod close it please.

I think it's worth updating the thread as you wish too!, maybe there isn't the discussion that once was around here on the forums (before my time), but a lot of people enjoy your writing and learn things from how you play.

Think of yourself as the old veteran mentor with 20 Determination - and the rest of us like youth prospects who need to be improved!. 

Edited by Matty Aqua

I am looking forward to the next part, especially how the possession regain graph is going to change for your team. I wonder if this can change at all without having better players (or growing reputation), or most of it is just down to the formation that we use? I used to use a deep formation but with heavy pressing and I also noticed that the team is mostly getting the ball back around the halfway line.

This is I think one of the less discussed parts of a possession tactic, where you loose the ball usually and how does that influence you getting it back. So mostly I would look to make it so that the team looses the ball in advanced areas, in the final third preferably around the touchline, I think that is the best for loosing the ball. Losing possession in the final third is also miles better than loosing it in the middle of the park, I think loosing the ball around the halfway line makes it impossible to get it back without conceding a shot/possession.

So I guess my point is that (I think) the further up the field you loose the ball most of the time, the better chance you will have at getting it back, so I am looking forward to how it will change for your team.

Edited by robot_skeleton

I am looking forward to the next part, especially how the possession regain graph is going to change for your team. I wonder if this can change at all without having better players (or growing reputation), or most of it is just down to the formation that we use? I used to use a deep formation but with heavy pressing and I also noticed that the team is mostly getting the ball back around the halfway line.

It's a little spoiler but in all honesty the possession regain graph has been quite similar since we switched to the possession orientated system we now use. So that's from the 5th tier of Brazil to Brasileirão - Série A and the numbers are roughly the same give or take. It's more a system and role thing more so than the player imo. Getting better players will help but it's more the system and how it plays that will determine roughly what kind of numbers we see.

This is I think one of the less discussed parts of a possession tactic, where you loose the ball usually and how does that influence you getting it back

I've just wrote a little passage for the next article about how we were pressing after we lost the ball and I didn't like what I saw, even though it's effective. So I've discussed the why and shown examples and then a solution to what I saw.

So mostly I would look to make it so that the team looses the ball in advanced areas, in the final third preferably around the touchline, I think that is the best for loosing the ball. 

Ideally you want to win the ball back in your strongest area of the pitch before they hit the weaker ones. So in the tactic discussed throughout there, that would be before the ball goes beyond the CM's. Ideally and in a perfect game we need to make use of the two AM's pressing and forming a block with the CM's that is hard to penetrate. If we don't win the ball before they bypass the CM's then I'm open for the counter attack.

Losing possession in the final third is also miles better than loosing it in the middle of the park, I think loosing the ball around the halfway line makes it impossible to get it back without conceding a shot/possession.

This is why I stressed that the CM's must sit and recycle possession in this system and not be adventurous and support attacking by moving higher up the pitch. If they move higher up the pitch it means a direct ball ends up in our final third with little pressure. Or that if any ball is cleared, they'd not be positioned to pick it up and keep the pressure on. Which is what usually happens. The defence will clear the ball and the CM's around the half way circle will pick it up and play in the attacking players or those who are still advanced. It allows us to continue the pressure and gives them no room to breathe.

So I guess my point is that (I think) the further up the field you loose the ball most of the time, the better chance you will have at getting it back, so I am looking forward to how it will change for your team.

I think it's more down to player positioning like I mentioned above that determines this. It's one of the reasons why people who use a standard 4231 with 2 CM's for example, generally have issues when they have one of the CM's go forward. Because that leaves them exposed to what I mentioned above about a simple ball putting them on the back foot. And in the 4231 that would mean the other CM who didn't venture forward has the full responsibility now for defending/pressing and winning the ball back for the entire midfield. Which isn't realistic and possible.

The analysis threw up something interesting in my tactic btw in part two of the article. So I have a decision to make about possible changes relating to the above too.

13 hours ago, Matty Aqua said:

I think it's worth updating the thread as you wish too!, maybe there isn't the discussion that once was around here on the forums (before my time), but a lot of people enjoy your writing and learn things from how you play.

Think of yourself as the old veteran mentor with 20 Determination - and the rest of us like youth prospects who need to be improved!. 

Ha. I don't mind posting if I know people are reading/enjoying it. It wasn't praise I was looking for it was more validation that someone was finding it useful and understanding what I wrote. If people don't post, I don't really know if people are reading it or finding it useful. I think that's what I was wanting to know.

For anyone reading it, I welcome all questions and encourage them no matter how small or how silly you might think they are. No such thing as a silly question imo, so if you have them, fire away :)

Excellent as always.

One stupid question: Are you seeing any hoofballs from the defenders instead of controlled, patient buildup? In the possession tactic, you have both Much Shorter Passing and Play out of Defence with Positive mentality. When I go this short, my defenders and goalkeeper often hoof it long instead of passing short. Or does it come down to decisions, composure and so on?

13 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Excellent as always.

One stupid question: Are you seeing any hoofballs from the defenders instead of controlled, patient buildup? In the possession tactic, you have both Much Shorter Passing and Play out of Defence with Positive mentality. When I go this short, my defenders and goalkeeper often hoof it long instead of passing short. Or does it come down to decisions, composure and so on?

My players don't hoof the ball but BPD are much riskier on FM23 now with the changes. They opften do progressive passes that look to put us on the front foot or do a defence splitting pass. I wrote this elsewhere;

Examples of Aggressive Passing from the Defenders

I’m classing the halfback as a defender here because he is, with the way he defends and helps us transition the ball.

Defence-2-1024x486.png

Here the halfback is taking his time on the ball and waiting for players to get into position. I know this because I see him dwell on the ball and the commentary confirms it.

Defence-3.png

Knudsen is scanning around to see what his options are and has a lot of them, 4 in fact. Actually, 5 should he decide to the bring ball further forward himself, which he does at times. On this occasion, however, he chooses the furthest option top right.

Defence-4-1024x495.png

Immediately this puts us on the front foot and has opened up a potential overload down the right side of the pitch. The mezzala can take his time to turn around and assess his options too, he doesn’t have to rush. When he turns around he can either lay it off to the inverted winger for a quick one-two. Or he can play in the fullback making a surging run down the right.

We are using the full width of the pitch. From here we can either directly attack with the overloads down here or retain possession should the players decide now is not the best time to attack. Either way, we have multiple choices here. 

While we are building a possession-based system, we also still want to attack and win games. The possession we have has to be meaningful and not possession for the sake of it. We still want to win games and take the game to the opponents.

This is another example but this time, this is much riskier.

Defence-5-1024x462.png

I want to highlight this pass particularly as it demonstrates exactly how aggressive the ball-playing defenders can be at times. It is almost reckless. 

He has lots of time on the ball to bring it out of defence if he chooses and he also has three (red circles) immediate passing options. All of them present a different level of difficulty to pull off. We also have the yellow circled player, which would be the reckless option and the least likely to pull off.

Of course, that’s the option he chooses here. The ball-playing defender has been reworked on Football Manager 2023 and is much more aggressive with their passing and the positions they take up on the pitch. It’s not uncommon to see them attack deep inside the opposition half these days.

I wanted to highlight this move so you are aware of the changes and just how risky the role can be. If you use ball-playing defenders and want to create a possession system, keep an eye on this as at times, it might go against what you are creating. Especially if they give possession away cheaply like in my example.

Edited by Cleon

I always love reading threads like this, but I have to be honest, I never got possession tactics to work properly. I either find myself in a place where my possession isn't anything special, 54-58% over a season or at the point where I'm just not doing well, it seems like every time I get to keep the ball more than 60% of the time I'm blunting myself attacking wise and usually start doing worse. I totally get what you mean when you say "too much possession" isn't a good thing either, but I wouldn't have thought this would already happen when I go above 56% possession on average. Okay, complaint over, keep up the good work with these threads, love reading them. :applause:

4 hours ago, dzek said:

@Cleon which roles did you find that changed/improved/reworked in FM23?

It's mainly pivots and wingers, the positioning they take up. If you use CM's and there is no DM behind they naturally drop deeper. But if you have a DM then they push a lot higher up compared to older versions of the game.