The Realism Thread

1 minute ago, Continum said:

I have all the Nordic countries + the big leagues loaded. So there are options.

In real life I would probably look elsewhere. If I don't get my badges I won't be able to get the bigger jobs. I'll be stuck in Iceland eating fermented shark. But then again, you don't know what you had before you've lost it, the grass isn't greener on the other side and so on.

I'll make a decision at the end of the season. If I get promoted I'll probably stay, if not I'll find my way out. I think. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your input. In the end it comes down to my decision, but it's always great to hear other peoples perspective.

I'd stay put if I were you but then I'm a glutton for punishment and I'd feel like the job was unfinished.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you feel like the club is holding you back and you dont have a desire to take them further then change job. You'll likely make a sideways step and that's fine. Grass isnt always greener but sometimes it is.

Edited by Platinum

I always try to keep incoming transfers realistic at low levels by considering where a player was born or where he has played before.  I know some of you use a 50 or 100 mile radius while managine semi-pro teams.  I have just noticed the below on the scouting page though, and I am interested in people's thoughts?

image.png.1ba8f1d3c1dfed56b05aede2ff8d396a.png

The player in this example was born in London and has been on the books of Fulham and more recently Southampton.  I am currently managing AFC Telford - so a fair way away (170 miles from Southampton).  I am torn here - it feels unrealistic, but what is actually happening here is that he player has contacted the club directly and asked to join.  No interest in signing this particular player, by the way - but I get 2-3 of these a week.  

3 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I always try to keep incoming transfers realistic at low levels by considering where a player was born or where he has played before.  I know some of you use a 50 or 100 mile radius while managine semi-pro teams.  I have just noticed the below on the scouting page though, and I am interested in people's thoughts?

The player in this example was born in London and has been on the books of Fulham and more recently Southampton.  I am currently managing AFC Telford - so a fair way away (170 miles from Southampton).  I am torn here - it feels unrealistic, but what is actually happening here is that he player has contacted the club directly and asked to join.  No interest in signing this particular player, by the way - but I get 2-3 of these a week.  

I would have thought that it would be fair enough for you to consider signing him. He's approached you looking for a job and IRL people are very often prepared to move reasonable distances, particularly within the same country, in order to get a new job. I don't think a move of 170 miles is very far in the UK.

36 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I wouldn't personally, I often get approached for job interviews for teams way above my station so the game has form for this kind of thing.

That said, i'll assume you can only offer him a part time contract in which case he'll need another wage to live on so I suppose you could justify it to yourself by imagining that he already has a job in the area and now he's just looking for a club maybe?

Bottom line for me though is if its too far to commute to training and you aren't offering enough money for him to live on then its a no from me

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

Players, especially those without a club, are desperate to get back into football at this level. I say this as someone that has played at this level (for reserve teams but I was in close contact with first team players). They know that if they impress when at the club they could still fulfil their dream of become a professional footballer (or becoming a professional footballer again), even if the chances are slim. I think its easy to forget that VNS is still a good level and the matches are attended by loads of scouts from EFL teams. The part time job as a footballer takes priority over whatever other part time job they have, and if it didn't they would be doing there other job full time.

I'm generalising here but its generally the case. Changing country would probably be a bit of a stretch though. But as @Brother Ben says, you can always make a backstory for why a player wants to join you and I understand not offering the player a contract

Edited by Platinum

I suppose the use of the half hour/one hour rule is an imperfect system in the first place as there are so many variables.  The main thing is for me I don't feel like it limits me too much so I haven't felt the need to justify looking further afield. 

Look, there are plenty of die hard LLaMas who would think this system is bonkers and would happily sign anyone from within their own country so i'd say in all cases just go with your gut and you won't go far wrong, it's not an exact science.  Like @Platinum says, some players may be super ambitious but on the other hand others may just be happy to be paid a few quid for doing something they enjoy whilst playing locally

8 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I suppose the use of the half hour/one hour rule is an imperfect system in the first place as there are so many variables.  The main thing is for me I don't feel like it limits me too much so I haven't felt the need to justify looking further afield. 

Look, there are plenty of die hard LLaMas who would think this system is bonkers and would happily sign anyone from within their own country so i'd say in all cases just go with your gut and you won't go far wrong, it's not an exact science.  Like @Platinum says, some players may be super ambitious but on the other hand others may just be happy to be paid a few quid for doing something they enjoy whilst playing locally

Yeah defo

Hey Guys! For those of you, who plays as an existing manager - how are you doing it? What is the best, and most realistic way 2 do so? 

Searching for tips and tricks for it. I really do hate, that SI dont have that option as well. 

1 hour ago, n1mez said:

Hey Guys! For those of you, who plays as an existing manager - how are you doing it? What is the best, and most realistic way 2 do so? 

Searching for tips and tricks for it. I really do hate, that SI dont have that option as well. 

You mean like role playing as an existing manager?

On 23/02/2022 at 15:56, Brother Ben said:

You mean like role playing as an existing manager?

Yes exactly.

Further notice - what would you guys say is the most realistic way 2 setup a "Red Bull" save? Start in Liefering, and work your way up? Use editor to make sure you can go to Salzburg and Leipzig? Transfer players between the 2 clubs? Get some custom databases? What would you recommend.

Edited by n1mez

Feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads with FM in general. I used to be annoyed if I had been off work for a week and hadn't got a save going due to my constant starting again, yet here I am at the end of a 4-5 month work break and I just have no desire to load up the game and carry on with my current save - and I'm only a few months in.

I did do an update thread where I considered it "now or never" to get into a save and achieve something, but it appears that "Never" is the way this is going. 

We will see what happens, but I wonder if my FM time is up :(

On 23/02/2022 at 13:23, n1mez said:

When I've roleplayed, usually as a former player taking their first management job, but the ideas stay the same.

I create staff and player shortlists based on their real-life career.  I'll use transfermarkt.co.uk, and then search for the person in question.  I'll check the squads for who they played with and who was coaching them, then I'll search for those players/coaches in game and add them to a shortlist.  Whilst this doesn't create relationships, it gives me a "black book" of contacts to work from.  Generally, I'll try and make tactical decisions that I think make sense.  If the player was a box-to-box midfielder, for example, I'd want to go for something tactically that makes use of this role.  I'll also look at the tactical styles being used when the player was at their best, as that might help provide a bit more guidance.

On 25/02/2022 at 10:55, Junkhead said:

Feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads with FM in general. I used to be annoyed if I had been off work for a week and hadn't got a save going due to my constant starting again, yet here I am at the end of a 4-5 month work break and I just have no desire to load up the game and carry on with my current save - and I'm only a few months in.

I did do an update thread where I considered it "now or never" to get into a save and achieve something, but it appears that "Never" is the way this is going. 

We will see what happens, but I wonder if my FM time is up :(

If you have no desire then I'd say don't force it. As always, try and fill life with as many things that you enjoy as you can, and if FM doesnt fit into that then so be it. 

Also it doesn't mean you never return to the save, I've had 2-3 month breaks from FM saves before returning to them.

Hi guys! Sorry for little offtop, but I think it's important in case we play LLM or realism-style ;)
Question about scouting packages - I haven't found unequivocal answer. In your opinion, expierence - is there any sense to subscribe any package, if we avoid to use "search player" button? Does it matters if we're talking just about scouts work? Or maybe I'll just spend money, but it will have any effect on their findings?

13 hours ago, patpul said:

Hi guys! Sorry for little offtop, but I think it's important in case we play LLM or realism-style ;)
Question about scouting packages - I haven't found unequivocal answer. In your opinion, expierence - is there any sense to subscribe any package, if we avoid to use "search player" button? Does it matters if we're talking just about scouts work? Or maybe I'll just spend money, but it will have any effect on their findings?

I'd say it was more important.  From my understanding the better the scouting package the more players your scout will unearth due to already having a little knowledge of the players to start with

On 18/02/2022 at 08:31, Continum said:

Hi guys!

I need some input on my manager carreer. I've been managing Fjölnir in the second tier of Iceland. I'm in my fourth season, we have a decent team and I've been doing OK. Fourth place the first season, third the second season and last season I missed promotion on goal difference. This season I'm also fighting for promotion. The problem is the club finances. It's bad. Which means I won't be able to get my coaching badges. And I'm an ambitious guy, I want to move up the ladder, but I find that hard with no badges. I keep going back and forth whether I should not extend my contract and try my luck elsewhere, but then again, who wants a guy with no badges, or stay and continue to grind.

So the question is, should I stay or should I go? ..."If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double" (sorry couldn't resist).

So a little update on my adventure in Iceland.

I chose to sign a new contract with the club and last night we ended up winning the league and gaining promotion to the top tier. After four seasons it is a really nice feeling indeed. Finances are still kinda bad, but let's see where this takes us.

On 04/03/2022 at 07:17, Continum said:

So a little update on my adventure in Iceland.

I chose to sign a new contract with the club and last night we ended up winning the league and gaining promotion to the top tier. After four seasons it is a really nice feeling indeed. Finances are still kinda bad, but let's see where this takes us.

Congrats thats a great achievement! Have you been able to get any coaching badges?

I suspect I will be in a minority here but part of playing realistically for me means watching most games on Full Match. Partly because it means I truly see everything that happens in a match and can react to events like a real manager would, also because I love the tactical side of the game and this is where it all comes to life. And also because being a manager/head coach the big day is always the match day, and I feel like when playing on highlight mode it takes away from the the 'spectacle' of match day and just makes it one of many matches. Watching a full match takes between 45 - 60 minutes, but I truly enjoy it lol.

I've tried playing "comprehensive", I did it for a full season, but it just doesnt feel right. Funny enough I only started doing this in FM21.

Cup games against inferior teams and friendly games are normally played on "Comprehensive" though. Or if the game is effectively over by the 60/70th min I'll put it on "Comprehensive".

Edited by Platinum

44 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Congrats thats a great achievement! Have you been able to get any coaching badges?

No, unfortunately not. But at least this promotion should give me some credit.

On 06/03/2022 at 20:32, Platinum said:

I suspect I will be in a minority here but part of playing realistically for me means watching most games on Full Match. Partly because it means I truly see everything that happens in a match and can react to events like a real manager would, also because I love the tactical side of the game and this is where it all comes to life. And also because being a manager/head coach the big day is always the match day, and I feel like when playing on highlight mode it takes away from the the 'spectacle' of match day and just makes it one of many matches. Watching a full match takes between 45 - 60 minutes, but I truly enjoy it lol.

I've tried playing "comprehensive", I did it for a full season, but it just doesnt feel right. Funny enough I only started doing this in FM21.

Cup games against inferior teams and friendly games are normally played on "Comprehensive" though. Or if the game is effectively over by the 60/70th min I'll put it on "Comprehensive".

+1 for watching the full match. Put too much time and effort in to not see how it is working in game where I can miss 20 minutes at a time between highlights.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2022 at 13:23, n1mez said:

These are the steps I take if I'm playing as a real person within the football world:

(1) Check to see if the person already exists in the database. If they don't then you have to go purely on information from the web. If they do, you can use the info already present in the game to help flesh out the character. 

(2) Create your manager using the real life personal information of the person you wish to play as. Wikipedia is helpful here. Also, I tend to grab a photo of their face from Google images for the appearance section. 

(3) Once you have created the manager, it's time to add more information. As an example, I'll pretend I'm wanting to play as Xavi. Go into the in-game Xavi using the in-game editor and copy all of the personal information to your manager. This includes international appearances and goals, favoured personnel (including what the relationships are, eg. ex teammate, ex manager, backroom staff, relation etc), favoured clubs, disliked clubs, languages spoken. 

(4) You then want to add the other information, such as the various reputations (home, world etc), the 'hidden attributes' scores, the favoured tactical styles and what have you. For some people, this won't be fully fleshed out, but for high profile managers, it should be. You can find all this stuff in the 'staff details' part of the in-game editor. 

(5) After you've sorted the staff details and the personal details, you want to copy their coaching attributes. To do this, write down the attributes of the manager you want to emulate. Then go into your manager's profile and find the attributes section. Go into the in-game editor and click 'start editing' at the very top. Copy the attributes to your manager. 

(6) At this stage, you should have pretty much created an identical replica. The next steps are to get all the relationships in order. The first thing to do is find out if your manager is a legend, icon etc at previous clubs. So for Xavi, he will probably be somewhere in Barcelona's favoured personnel, and maybe Al Sadd too. Check this using the in-game editor. For Xavi, I'd go to Barcelona, then the 'edit club details' part of the in-game editor. In there I'd go along to 'favourite people'. In this section Xavi should already be there. Instead of creating a new relationship, I'd just replace the existing one with my character. So click on the name tab next to Xavi and search for your manager. Then just replace the in-game Xavi with you. This will make your character the club legend/icon/favoured personnel. Do this for all the clubs that are relevant to your character. 

(7) The next step is to do a similar thing for personal relationships. So you already have your own favoured personnel set. It's time to make sure all the people who have a good relationship with you are linked to your character and not the person you are replacing. To do this for Xavi, I'd go into player search, make sure the filters aren't filtering out anyone who might be relevant, and then I'd search for players who have favoured club/person as Xavi. I'd go through the list and replace the in-game Xavi in their favoured people sections using the in-game editor, just as I did for the clubs. For example, I'd likely find Lionel Messi having Xavi as a favoured personnel. I'd go into Messi's personal details in the in-game editor, and just swap out Xavi (in-game) for my character. One I've done this for all the relevant players, I'd go into 'staff search' and do the same thing. This is where I'd find people like Pep Guardiola. Again, make sure the filters aren't restricting your search. The only filter you want is the 'favoured club/people' one. Sort out all the staff whose favoured personnel should include your character, and you have successfully set up all the relevant in-game relationships. 

(8) The final step is to edit the in-game version of the manager you wish to play as out of recognition. So I'd go into Xavi's details and edit him into obscurity. I'd change his name, remove his international appearances, delete all his relationships, and lower his reputations to minimal so that he doesn't find employment. I'd also edit his attributes to make them poor too. Once you've edited the duplicate manager beyond recognition, you have successfully taken over the role, and you can move ahead with your save knowing that you are, for all intents and purposes, the in-game version of your desired manager. 

On 31/12/2021 at 01:41, majesticeternity said:

Something of an unusual "how to add realism" suggestion that I've started doing (Especially being home more due to the pandemic, it adds alot of fun)

For unemployed saves, play out the manager's career, to whatever degree you like.

You can make it simple and just calculate your salary vs expenses, and see if you can afford to take the job.

Or you can delve into things more, and use the internet to find a place to "rent/buy" that you can afford. Figure out or "buy" your transportation. Even "travel" and find places nearby you'd frequent IRL.

Example:

I got hired in Dec to one of the worst clubs in Northern Ireland's 3rd tier, bottom of the league.  Only given 17k pounds/year, no negotiation. Now stuck in someone's basement in Magherafelt for 1 year, riding the bus to the playing field. Had to take out a personal loan to make ends meet. Now, it's 10 months later, and while the club is happy with me, if I don't get a better job nearby, I think I'll be sunk before I get going! *Here's to hoping the insecure N.Ireland managers get sacked soon!*

Maybe a bit odd, but I find it adds more dimension to the game, and some fun "travels"!

On 20/11/2021 at 19:07, AEJ said:

Well, now that I have the time, I'll start a new save with these rules I made for FM21. It worked before, it should work again

But I am changing the rules a bit. These ranges that I made will be for clubs I can APPLY FOR. If a club that does not respect the ranges GIVES me an interview, I can take the job. It makes the expericente much more organic.

Another rule is that my first club HAS to be half a star. 

I have slightly adjust the ranges (the new ranges are in the post quoted above)

---

edit 

Forgot four new rules:

My first club cannot be professional and has to be in the lowest league of a country

if I stay in a B team for 2 years, I can apply for the main job.

If I win the first division of a country, I can apply for all clubs in that country for the next three seasons

If I manage a national team for 2 years, the clubs I can apply for go up half a star. If a manage for another two years, another half a star goes up. 

On 20/11/2021 at 19:49, AEJ said:

I decided to make money relevant as well.

So I created new rules:

I have 3 months to find my first job. If the time limit passes, I have to apply to every job that is possible (half a star reputation, of course) and accept the first one that becomes available. 

Until I've made 50k euros in my career, I cannot stay unemployed for more than 3 months. If the time limit passes, I have to apply to every job that has half a star less reputation than the ones I can apply for or more and aceept the first one that is offered.  If I stay unemployed for too long (exceding the 3 months) I need to stay employed for at least 6 months in a new job. If I don't, than the 3 months turn into 1 month for the next job hunt

From 50k to 100k, no more than 5 months.  If the time limit passes, I have to apply to every job that has half a star less reputation than the ones I can apply for or more and aceept the first one that is offered. If I stay unemployed for too long (exceding the 5 months) I need to stay employed for at least 6 months in a new job. If I don't, than the 5 months turn into 2 months for the next job hunt. From this range on, If I don't stay employed for the proposed 6 months, than the time to searh for a new job is cut in half

From 100k to 200k,  no more than 7 months...

From 200k to 800k, 9 months...

From 800k to 2M, 10 months...  

From 2M to 10M, no more than a year...

The only clubs I can always reject if I want are clubs that I have already managed or said no to interveiws/contracts 

I like these rules, man. 

I've been unable to get into a save since my time with Kilsyth. But Mozza's Scottish database hasn't been brought up to speed with the 22.3 update yet. I want to try playing a LlaMa save, while also playing as a real football personality. Someone unspectacular, of course. Maybe a former lower-league player. That helps me to feel a sense of realism. 

There's the English level 10 database; the Spanish one from FMSite; Argentinian and Brazilian ones too. 

Don't know where to go, but I'm going to commit to trying to play realistically again. I enjoyed it much more. 

I've decided on a save. It's a little bit of a strange one, I suppose. But I've given it some thought. 

I spent a good bit of time looking for an ex-player/current manager to play as. I wanted to get someone at the beginning of their coaching career; someone who would have to start quite far down the pyramid. After a while of searching high and low, I came across an interesting option: Lewis Young. 

Lewis is the younger brother of Ashley Young, formerly of Manchester United and England. Unlike his older sibling, Lewis did not enjoy a playing career at the very top of the sport. Despite a similar starting point, the Watford Academy, Lewis Young spent most of his career in League 2, with the odd-stint in League 1. The final six years of his playing days were spent at Crawley Town, where he now finds himself among the backroom team. He retired at the age of 31 due to recurring injuries, so his coaching career will be starting a little early. 

Ashley Young is still plying his trade in the English Premier League. In his long-term plans section, it says he would like to go into coaching with a view to management. That creates an intriguing prospect in the save: a sibling rivalry. Obviously Ashley's starting position would be higher, due to his reputation. But Lewis has a head-start in terms of beginning his coaching career earlier. If things go well, it would throw up the possibility of the brothers meeting as opposition managers. Having been in his brother's shadow as a player, there's the opportunity for Lewis to have the better non-playing career. I think that's a cool backstory to the save, and something that certainly adds to the stakes when Ashley decides to retire and pursue his post-playing plans. 

Having spent most of his career in League 2, I think National League and below would be the most realistic starting point for Lewis Young. 

So that's the general background to the save. I'll be trying to apply the various rules I've seen throughout the thread to make it as realistic as possible, and I'll update as I go along. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Lewis Young is situated in Crawley. So unless a good amount of money was offered to relocate, I reckon I'll stay within reasonable driving distance of Crawley. The average rent in Crawley is £1,145 p/m. That works out at £13,740 p/a. This will have to factor into salary considerations. It'll probably rule a lot of the lowest leagues out. 

16 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Lewis Young is situated in Crawley. So unless a good amount of money was offered to relocate, I reckon I'll stay within reasonable driving distance of Crawley. The average rent in Crawley is £1,145 p/m. That works out at £13,740 p/a. This will have to factor into salary considerations. It'll probably rule a lot of the lowest leagues out. 

I'm in a bit of a bind with this. I've received four offers in total, but none of them are offering me a wage. I've basically to manage unremunerated. None of the available jobs are in a better situation. So what's the move here? Do you take an unpaid role hoping it leads to paid work, and live off savings earned over a playing career? Do you wait for a paying role to come along and remain out of work for the foreseeable future? 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

I have a concrete offer from St Neots Town, a club based two hours away from Crawley, and half an hour up the road from Stevenage, where Lewis Young is from. I believe Ashley Young resides in Stevenage, so perhaps I could imagine the brothers shacking up while Lewis is doing unpaid work. 

Think I'll take on the St Neots role, then. They are in the Southern League Division 1 Central. A couple of leagues below the National League South. 

67C51A8CFD3C13ECE5D2B2EE27FC1AA682ABF20F (1920×1080)

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

I've left myself with the following responsibilities: appointing coaching staff/assistant manager; choosing the tactics; selecting the matchday squads. 

All the transfers and hiring will be dealt with by the DoF and the Chairman. I feel that's the most realistic thing for an untried manager. I'm hardly going to be entrusted with running the club from top to bottom. 

Got my first competitive game approaching: a long trip north to face Jarrow in the FA Cup preliminary round. 

I'm quite happy with the squad, but there are offers coming in all the time for players. Not sure who'll be here at the end of the window. My DoF has been able to get some new contracts to key players. But it's still a fluid situation. 

I beat Jarrow 2-1. It was a very comfortable win, in truth. Should have been more comprehensive. But a few of my better players have been sold from under my feet a few days before the league is due to start. Including the guy I was hoping to rely on for goals. I hope the DoF has a masterplan in mind before the window shuts. I really want to get my squad settled and focus on the task at hand, but there's so much speculation flying about at the moment, I could potentially be looking at a huge turnover before the end of the transfer window. What shape we'll be in come September is anyone's guess. 

1F2EC8843BB699A821980A9D003A7C11AD048B1C (1920×1080)

Pleased with the start. Playing a basic 442 with emphasis on the wings. I've really been focused on trying to get some basic partnerships in place (tall man, poacher; midfield sitter, runner etc). But everything depends on who is still at the club and who comes in when the window closes. 

Got the FA Cup game next. Handsworth travelling down from Sheffield. Hoping to keep my skin in the game for the more lucrative rounds. But it's all about the league for us. 

I feel I've got a system that is looking promising and a decent set of players. My job is pretty much keeping everyone happy and on course for a good run of form. 

I completed the rest of August's fixtures with a perfect record. More impressively, we've come through the six games with only one goal conceded (against Jarrow in the first fixture). Five clean sheets in a row, with eleven scored. 

My rule of thumb is always to disregard results in the first weeks of a new job. I'm always looking for performances to indicate how we're progressing. Because you have the lack of cohesion, familiarity and so on, I always expect results to be a bit patchy at first, but if you are seeing positive signs in how the team plays, you can be fairly confident things will start to improve when the pieces fall into place. The fact that we have been perfect so far with our results is a huge bonus. I've had to rotate the squad quite a bit to cope with the midweek games, and we haven't seen a drop in the levels. So all the signs are hugely positive. 

The expectations at the beginning of the season were to be competitive in the FA Cup, which I think we're doing after getting through the first two rounds, and to get into the playoffs in the league. So far we are laying down a marker. Hopefully September sees similar form. 

13A93F9F7E03D33630FD6D8A67EB34EB86C651BC (1920×1080)

Our honeymoon period continues. An incredible start to the season. I've opened up a bit of a gap between myself and the non-playoff positions already. Hoping to maintain that over the course of the season, so at worst, I achieve the expectations of the board. 

Our reward for a 4-0 win over Whitley Bay in the FA Cup is a trip to National League side Brackley Town. They are sitting in 6th place in the Vanarama North, so clearly a team to be taken very seriously at this stage of the FA Cup. It would be quite the cup upset if we managed to progress. 

Everyone has bedded in well and I feel like I'm in the happy place of just having to keep things ticking over with tweaks here and there. Usually I have to mess around a lot to arrive at a formula that works, but I've stumbled on a very decent setup straight away. I hope it continues to work against the rest of the league. 

2CD53CBD16963259E2803978C09665CC1CF685EE (1920×1080)

So the end of September brought our winning streak to an end. We did manage to smash Berkhamsted 5-0 before National League side Brackley Town knocked us out the FA Cup. I actually think we competed well with them, and a replay would have been the least we deserved. But we passed up on our big opportunities, and the winning goal came from a very slack piece of play in our own backline. We pushed and pushed for the equaliser to no avail, but the efforts cost us two points in our next game, as we basically had to rotate the entire team due to fatigue. FC Romania were the beneficiaries of our trials, stealing a point on the road. But thankfully our two game winless streak was brought to an instant halt at Thame United in September's final match. We were 4-0 up at half-time in that game, and I put us down to cautious mentality, put the time wasting up, and had us stand off more in the second half to preserve energy. 

Still feeling very positive about our chances in the league, but we've yet to face some of the sides around about us, so we'll see what shape we're in come the halfway point when we've played everyone once. 

Amazingly, our DoF has sold both our goalkeepers, with both players leaving on the day of a match. I now have zero goalkeepers for the game, so I'm having to play a greyed out player. I'm livid. Surely there should be a bit more intelligence involved here?

Absolutely livid. 

13 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Amazingly, our DoF has sold both our goalkeepers, with both players leaving on the day of a match. I now have zero goalkeepers for the game, so I'm having to play a greyed out player. I'm livid. Surely there should be a bit more intelligence involved here?

Absolutely livid. 

Lost the game 0-1 to the only shot the opponent had. Contemplating resigning, because this situation is not acceptable. There should never be a decision like this. It's not at all realistic. We were under no obligation to sell either goalkeeper, let alone both. 

• 3 weeks later...

First of all sorry for my English - it's not my native language, so... with a little help from Google :D

I after last update finally I started - I think - long term FM22 save. The attitude of the team I am leading is shocking (especially for me) :)

*** "Configuration" of FM
The most important modification in relation to the "clean" version is the addition of the lower Spanish leagues created by the local community from FMsite.net. For years, I have been playing practically only in the Spanish league, starting from the lowest league, but never used it because of few thing which have been reworked this year. This supplement is amazingly developed.
It practically reaches the lowest Spanish level. I, on the other hand, load the game from the highest regional level (6th tier), while I play it from the lowest central level (Tercera RFEF, 5th tier). Why so? Firstly, because I don't feel the need to play lower, secondly - the database with players still makes the teams at this level very incomplete, third - the authors suggest starting the leagues from at least sixth level, so that the fifth level groups will be processed in accordance with with the realities (number of teams, geographical assignment, the number of relegating from Tercera depends on the relegators to a given geographical group from Segunda RFEF).
In addition, fairy tales that do not directly affect the gameplay, but are beautifiers (real names, media, real-world weather, logos).

*** Me in ️FM...
... it's the real me. Age, skills (Sunday football player, no coaching license), languages etc.

*** The most important rules of the game
This is one of the HC mode mutations.
- ofcourse I do not use the search for players or the staff;
- the knowledge of the players comes from the scouts or from the game world (media, social media, players of the teams I play against, etc.);
- I employ the staff from announcements or prompts during meetings;
- the first transfer window is inactive;
- self-made tactics;
- a maximum of one coaching course per season;
- editor and save & load do not exist.
These are probably the most important assumptions.

*** Team selection
I start out unemployed, so only teams from Tercera RFEF that do not currently have a trainer are involved. However, to make it not too easy, they can only be teams with an amateur status, without a reserve team (i.e. only the first team and U19).
There are 14 such teams in Tercera RFEF, I made myself such a numbered list. Using any number generator, I draw five teams. However, I do not apply for a job, but only express interest in working in selected clubs. And ... let it happen what it wants. This is where the game begins 😁

*** My team
Two of the five teams wanted to hire me this time. The most specific turned out to be Atlético from the small town of Porcuna in the foothills of Sierra Nevada in Andalusia. A stone's throw from Cordoba 😉
Group IX Tercera RFEF (East Andalucia and Melilla). Pre-season predictions - 16th place in the 17-team league. The average age of the team is just over 20.5 years. Virtually all attributes are below average.

*** How to live (play)?
The old FM truth is confirmed that at this level of gameplay, physical parameters may be of key importance. As I have one relatively fast (13) striker and a winger, it seemed natural to play counter-attack. And since I still have a tall man in the front (jumping 19) and in defense (14), it was a sin not to take advantage of it - soft crosses, as well as some time spent setting up all set pieces.
Also two tactics based on the scheme 442. The basic version is counter (cautious and the rest of the parameters, as we do in one of the screenshots; if necessary, slight modifications, including dropping the mentality to a lower level, to maintain the score, for example). Reserve version - for these few matches, so far there were two in which we are favorites, possibly slightly lower rated, but at home. This is a positive version, to be dropped one level lower if necessary. Small modifications of roles (e.g. instead Targetman - deep-lying forward, or greater penetration from the center of the field) and tasks.
*** ️Results
Except for one game (Jaén's reserves at home), in which I got totally lost somewhere, in the inaugural season sensation is after a sensation. The biggest are the away win against the clear favorite for promotion, Marbella, and a clear triumph at home with Almería's reserves. There are maybe no spectacular victories (apart from one or two), the rivals - as assumed - have an advantage, but are effectively scored. And exactly with the assumptions, i.e. either after quick accounts or after crosses (also from corners and slow ones)
It was supposed to be fighting for relegation until the last round, while at the halfway point I am closer to (even) direct promotion than relegation. With 32 games, I assume that retention will yield 35 points. So I miss five.
But I have no doubts that in a moment - as in the case of an amateur team playing well above expectations - the best players will be taken over and it will be necessary to make everything anew in the middle of the season. The most important thing, however, is to hold on, and then you will be able to combine. Maybe in the next season with half-professional status ;)

Cheers!

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ Fixtures.png

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ General.png

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ Overview.png

Tercera División RFEF Grupo IX_ Stages.png

On 26/03/2022 at 11:35, Continum said:

Finally! After winning the league and gaining promotion, the board decided to accept my request for a coaching course.

image.png.9719cfa736ef8f82e6fb11ebe3a02b44.png

Great! Hows it been going since you started your course?

Edited by Platinum

19 hours ago, patpul said:

First of all sorry for my English - it's not my native language, so... with a little help from Google :D

I after last update finally I started - I think - long term FM22 save. The attitude of the team I am leading is shocking (especially for me) :)

*** "Configuration" of FM
The most important modification in relation to the "clean" version is the addition of the lower Spanish leagues created by the local community from FMsite.net. For years, I have been playing practically only in the Spanish league, starting from the lowest league, but never used it because of few thing which have been reworked this year. This supplement is amazingly developed.
It practically reaches the lowest Spanish level. I, on the other hand, load the game from the highest regional level (6th tier), while I play it from the lowest central level (Tercera RFEF, 5th tier). Why so? Firstly, because I don't feel the need to play lower, secondly - the database with players still makes the teams at this level very incomplete, third - the authors suggest starting the leagues from at least sixth level, so that the fifth level groups will be processed in accordance with with the realities (number of teams, geographical assignment, the number of relegating from Tercera depends on the relegators to a given geographical group from Segunda RFEF).
In addition, fairy tales that do not directly affect the gameplay, but are beautifiers (real names, media, real-world weather, logos).

*** Me in ️FM...
... it's the real me. Age, skills (Sunday football player, no coaching license), languages etc.

*** The most important rules of the game
This is one of the HC mode mutations.
- ofcourse I do not use the search for players or the staff;
- the knowledge of the players comes from the scouts or from the game world (media, social media, players of the teams I play against, etc.);
- I employ the staff from announcements or prompts during meetings;
- the first transfer window is inactive;
- self-made tactics;
- a maximum of one coaching course per season;
- editor and save & load do not exist.
These are probably the most important assumptions.

*** Team selection
I start out unemployed, so only teams from Tercera RFEF that do not currently have a trainer are involved. However, to make it not too easy, they can only be teams with an amateur status, without a reserve team (i.e. only the first team and U19).
There are 14 such teams in Tercera RFEF, I made myself such a numbered list. Using any number generator, I draw five teams. However, I do not apply for a job, but only express interest in working in selected clubs. And ... let it happen what it wants. This is where the game begins 😁

*** My team
Two of the five teams wanted to hire me this time. The most specific turned out to be Atlético from the small town of Porcuna in the foothills of Sierra Nevada in Andalusia. A stone's throw from Cordoba 😉
Group IX Tercera RFEF (East Andalucia and Melilla). Pre-season predictions - 16th place in the 17-team league. The average age of the team is just over 20.5 years. Virtually all attributes are below average.

*** How to live (play)?
The old FM truth is confirmed that at this level of gameplay, physical parameters may be of key importance. As I have one relatively fast (13) striker and a winger, it seemed natural to play counter-attack. And since I still have a tall man in the front (jumping 19) and in defense (14), it was a sin not to take advantage of it - soft crosses, as well as some time spent setting up all set pieces.
Also two tactics based on the scheme 442. The basic version is counter (cautious and the rest of the parameters, as we do in one of the screenshots; if necessary, slight modifications, including dropping the mentality to a lower level, to maintain the score, for example). Reserve version - for these few matches, so far there were two in which we are favorites, possibly slightly lower rated, but at home. This is a positive version, to be dropped one level lower if necessary. Small modifications of roles (e.g. instead Targetman - deep-lying forward, or greater penetration from the center of the field) and tasks.
*** ️Results
Except for one game (Jaén's reserves at home), in which I got totally lost somewhere, in the inaugural season sensation is after a sensation. The biggest are the away win against the clear favorite for promotion, Marbella, and a clear triumph at home with Almería's reserves. There are maybe no spectacular victories (apart from one or two), the rivals - as assumed - have an advantage, but are effectively scored. And exactly with the assumptions, i.e. either after quick accounts or after crosses (also from corners and slow ones)
It was supposed to be fighting for relegation until the last round, while at the halfway point I am closer to (even) direct promotion than relegation. With 32 games, I assume that retention will yield 35 points. So I miss five.
But I have no doubts that in a moment - as in the case of an amateur team playing well above expectations - the best players will be taken over and it will be necessary to make everything anew in the middle of the season. The most important thing, however, is to hold on, and then you will be able to combine. Maybe in the next season with half-professional status ;)

Cheers!

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ General.png

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ Overview.png

Great stuff!

I have ended the season. As I wrote above - we've been predicted 16th. But there was not so far away from promotion play-offs! If we would win last match against Almeria B or won two matches in which we were favorites, we were leading, and conceeded the goals to the draws in added time (vs Torredonjimeno and Torre del Mar) :/ I think it were my mistakes - I should defend that leading, but wanted to score another goal and be sure of winning.
Anyway - I think it was great season, a few great results. I think it will be hard to repeat it next year. But! But we'll become a semi-pro team for a few weeks, so I hope to sign long-time contract with a few of my most importatnt players (maybe nobody will leave the club before I can sign this contracts) and maybe we can sign a 3-4 new, stronger player. If yes, we would try to reach promotion play-offs next season.

Started my journey a few days ago, taking over Huddinge IF in the lowest playable tier of Sweden. Except the "usual" stuff I am trying to be a bit more realistic in what players I sign. Since Huddinge IF is semi-pro and in the suburbs of Stockholm I am limiting myself to signing players either from Stockholm, suburbs and nearlying cities like Södertälje, and players that currently play for a club in that area. My thinking is that realistically I would not have the pull to make players actually move cities. Still haven't decided on how to handle other cases, if a player is a free-agent and approaches me one might argue that he moved to Stockholm and searched for a club, which would be realistic I guess...

Anyway! Currently half-way into my first season and I am enjoying this immensely so far. The team is stacked with players for some reason (5 right full backs), so a bit of player unhappiness, but I am at the top of the league after 12 of 26 games, 2 points above second and 4 points clear for promotion qualifiers. I expect a downfall soon though since we are expected to finish 5th.

4 hours ago, kennypavey said:

Started my journey a few days ago, taking over Huddinge IF in the lowest playable tier of Sweden. Except the "usual" stuff I am trying to be a bit more realistic in what players I sign. Since Huddinge IF is semi-pro and in the suburbs of Stockholm I am limiting myself to signing players either from Stockholm, suburbs and nearlying cities like Södertälje, and players that currently play for a club in that area. My thinking is that realistically I would not have the pull to make players actually move cities. Still haven't decided on how to handle other cases, if a player is a free-agent and approaches me one might argue that he moved to Stockholm and searched for a club, which would be realistic I guess...

Anyway! Currently half-way into my first season and I am enjoying this immensely so far. The team is stacked with players for some reason (5 right full backs), so a bit of player unhappiness, but I am at the top of the league after 12 of 26 games, 2 points above second and 4 points clear for promotion qualifiers. I expect a downfall soon though since we are expected to finish 5th.

Sounds like a good start there.  Loving the local signings policy.  I think in terms of signings you could argue that Stockholm has a pull and that part time players could easily have moved to the area for work so its not a massive stretch to sign them.  

Not sure if i could cope with so many players though I like to keep a 16 man squad.  Anything over 20 and it starts to get to me!  :D

Love the discussion on local signings.....

......but wanted to add one twist.

I'm still playing FM21, and doing what I would call a semi-journeyman save - I move around between clubs, but typically spend 10-15 years at each. I'm now playing the 2073/74 season.

Anyways, I chose my current club when I decided to move on and noticed that Guernsey had just been promoted to the Vanarama South. Small island in the middle of the channel who had never previously played at level 6 of the pyramid before? How could I resist that?

And the thing is the game imposed a local signings rule on me. When I was a half star Obscure reputation club, almost every player I tried to sign permanently told me that the wages I was offering were not sufficient for them to relocate. And loanees didn't want to come to Guernsey either. The only exceptions were players from clubs on the south coast. So Exeter, Torquay, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Brighton and Eastleigh were fair game. But try and sign a player from as far north as Crystal Palace and they weren't interested! The game seemed to have an in-built distance limit so that most lower league players wouldn't be interested in playing at a club that far from home (I don't recall ever experiencing this when I previously managed Halesowen - a club in the middle of England - at the same level)

It made for a nice challenge, and I didn't even have to self-regulate. Eventually, after several seasons of building a team using nothing but Plymouth and Portsmouth academy cast-offs and the occasional Torquay loanee, I did get promoted to the Vanarama National, and then the rest of the world opened up. But although I'm now mid-table in the Premier League - I still think those early years, fighting against relegation in Tier 6, were the most enjoyable!

[as an aside - as I said, I'm now in the Premier League with Guernsey, but although my academy just moved up to Level 2, after about six years at Level 3, I still haven't been invited to any of the U23 or U18 leagues. My U18s play in the FA Youth Cup, and my U23s play in the Papa John's Trophy, but I never get an invite to the leagues, and otherwise have to just arrange friendlies for my youth teams. Anyone know if this is a bug or just a function of the fact that my club basically plays home games in France and youth teams don't want to have to get on a flight or a boat to go and play their matches? Which, while it's slightly annoying for me, would probably be a realistic feature!]

Oh, local signings is really interesting rule. I think I should add it to my current game :) Question is - how long it should be obligatory? Maybe if my board allows me to play away friendlies just vs the nearest located teams I should sign players just from the nearest area. If I could go to the friendlies vs further located teams, the area from where can be my players will be bigger? How do you think?

Anyway. Another half of the season in Spanish 5th tier behind me. In this season we're predicted to finish 6th. After 15 matches we're 2nd, five points down to the leader. Just one league loose. We also went to the final of regional cup, where loose after ET against much stronger Recreativo Huelva. Thanks to reach the final, we could play in Copa Federacion (something like Spanish Cup, for the teams from lower leagues), but loose in first round. Thanks to promotion to final of the regional cup we earned 30 thousand euro. In our situation it's much, because we - as a semi-pro team - spend 200 thousand euro per year for wages (I pay contract wages to 10 from 20 players).

I made mistake before the season. I made my field to short and to wide. So I can't make use from my strikers pace. And my wide midfielder aren't so good with crossing. I don't know why I did it. So I have little problem to winning at home, it's not so easy, that could be. But we're still winning :D Mainly thank to my tall (now jumping 20) forward, he scored 15 league goals in 14 matches he played, most of the by head.

So, I think there is some chance to win straight promotion to Segunda RFEF. Just need to win my group :)

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ Terminarz.png

Atlético Porcuna Club de Fútbol_ Competitions.png

First season over! As mentioned the media expectation was 5th and board expectation was upper half, but after 26 matchdays Huddinge IF are champions, and will be promoted to the third tier for next season.

Overall a very good season of course, but we almost bottled it in the end, going 1-4-1 in the last 6, with only 7 points. Not sure why, but offense completely dried up and strikers were missing left right and center. Luckily, IFK Eskilstuna also lost form, and with one game to go we needed a draw against 4th place IK Sleipner to become champions. Everything looked comfortable with a 3-1 lead with 10 minutes to go, but two late goals from Sleipner (first time we let in more than 2 goals) and a header hitting the post with seconds to go, it was truly down to inches. But we are promoted, and IFK Eskilstuna will need to go through promotion qualifiers.

My issue now is with squad building. Currently have a wage bill of 11 000 kr/month, which was almost 15-doubled to 153 000 kr/month. Actually never been promoted in FM before, so this is a new challenge for me! 1694227008_Screenshot2022-04-25at12_22_56.thumb.png.ae6dd77b6d02ee0fec6481dc19cf404e.png2083341282_Screenshot2022-04-25at12_23_23.thumb.png.324e89c6ee5b66dd6308c94eb639090b.png