The Realism Thread

On 20/11/2021 at 02:25, Dan_987 said:

Dunno if it is just me, but I've never had the Board agree to that 'Trial Day' request in all my LLM saves. 

Peculiar. I've never actually had them deny me one entirely, though have had them be skeptical at first due to the limited quality of the prospects remaining on the market.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just played two consecutive cup ties in the South of Scotland Challenge Cup and the West of Scotland League Cup. I managed to cause a huge upset in the first, beating Glasgow Perthshire (two divisions above) 0-4. But the game against my old university, Glasgow Uni, ended in a 2-3 defeat after extra time. 

So through in one, out in the other. 

The main thing is we're actually playing really well. So even if we've had a couple of setbacks, the signs are positive. 

Well I have today dipped my toes into the water of what I am hoping will be my main save this year (although that never goes to plan....)

Suffice to say that Neftochimic Burgas are awful, and are probably about to get worse..... :D

Just over half way through the first season with Curzon Ashton (playing the LLM way - the only way I know)

We’re predictably awful currently sitting 4th bottom.

The one thing I don’t like about this years version is the amount of press conferences in the lower leagues. They only used to be every now and again in the Vanarama league, but now they’re every game. I know it’s probably hard to be able to change them too much, but they’re still very tedious. My only gripe really.

Edited by twattyatkins

I bored the opposition into submission in my first league match. I've never had a first half fly through to half time as quick. I think I had one highlight , and I play on extended highlights LOL. The goal we did score was a pass fest, and that even prompted negative social media comments from fans afterwards. Final score 1-0 ! They won't be moaning if we keep winning every week.

18 hours ago, twattyatkins said:

Just over half way through the first season with Curzon Ashton (playing the LLM way - the only way I know)

We’re predictably awful currently sitting 4th bottom.

The one thing I don’t like about this years version is the amount of press conferences in the lower leagues. They only used to be every now and again in the Vanarama league, but now they’re every game. I know it’s probably hard to be able to change them too much, but they’re still very tedious. My only gripe really.

Yeah, I get press conferences every week with a team playing down the local park. Crazy stuff :D 

I just send my assistant, and will start attending when I feel the level warrants it. 

We had just enough cash to allow me to study for my National A License. So I am happy to be furthering my education and employability. I got a job offer from another team in the division, Dalry Thistle. But I turned it down. I am quite happy where I am for the time being, and unless an offer came in from a higher league in the local area, I'd probably be unwilling to move on at this stage. 

Realism is a rollercoaster sometimes:

Started out my career in Denmark, taking over at 4th division Naesby BK. We were 11 games into the season and Naesby sat 11th, one from bottom. I found it bizarre; the club were relegated the season before and the squad was incredible, I mean INCREDIBLE! no reason for them to be languishing at this position in the table. I promptly managed to get the team firing with minimal investment (investment HA! but we'll come back to that...)

It didn't take long to get them winning and we went on a 15 game win streak from when I took over, firing us up the table and into the promotion spots. Its worth noting that when I took over I requested to be put on my first coaching course which the club allowed. The first season was over and we were promoted as Champions, an achievement of course considering the position when I took over, but I took it with a pinch of salt.

By this point we were marginally over our incredibly small wage budget, spending roughly 4k a week, with a budget of around 3.7k. However, the club was losing money hand over fist, every month we were tanking. Already sitting at 200k in the red at the end of the first season.

Much of the same came in the second season, success, wins and a happy dressing room. However, due to the financial situation, the board denied me a second coaching course. I took it on the chin. I knew we were good enough to get up to the 2nd division and there was always a chance of going Pro at this level. Season 2 came and went, promotion as champions again, back to backs... I was slowly becoming a cult legend at the club.

Season 3, the big one, division 2 competing with some excellent teams, we weren't made Pro though. The wage budget had only been increased during these years to about 4.5k at this point and we were sinking further into the red! 

A side point on Danish finances, every club was "insecure" in the 2nd division. There is no prize money, no parachute payments, no cash for cup runs, and not even any fans in the stadiums, with most clubs lucky to get 500 fans in on match day. Every club seemed to be a sink hole. 

I was getting a bit despondent at this point. I was 2 seasons into my time at the club, about to start the 3rd season and still Id only had 1 coaching course. We were about 400k in the red and there seemed no hope of the club pulling itself out of this rut. The lack of wage budget and cash in the bank meant that we weren't able to renew any contracts! With contracts at this level in Denmark being limited to 1 year in length, it was near impossible to tie players down. Everyone was due to leave the club in the summer and I was powerless to stop this. It felt like a dead-end had been reached and I would be hard pressed to improve this squad for the next season.

The results were slower in the 2nd division, but they came and we managed to secure qualification to the "promotion stage". Much like in Scotland, Austria and other countries, the league splits after 22 games. It was at this point I decided that I needed to leave if I was going to progress. I told the board I would be leaving at the end of the season.

The season ended, we secured 6th after getting repeatedly battered in the Promotion stage, I feel this was my fault, my heart maybe wasn't in it at this point. I promptly left as a bit of hero nonetheless.

The issue I had now was I only had 1 badge under my belt and despite my successes with Naesby, most clubs wouldn't touch me. I was laughed off by fans of clubs and described as desperate by the media (not entirely untrue). It couldn't go on for long, the bills need paying after all! I decided to lower my expectations and applied for jobs throughout neighboring Sweden. I had 2 interviews with Swedish 4th division sides, but I couldn't do it. I knew I was worth more. Every interview I was having, the owner wasn't willing to put me on the much needed coaching course. I even walked out on the Viborg interview (2nd Division Denmark, the league I'd just left) as I knew I deserved a bit more of a chance taken on me.

Out of the blue, the Holbaek I&B job becomes available. They were newly promoted into the 3rd tier in Denmark, a league I had won just over 12 months earlier. I went to interview and they agreed to the coaching course! Success! They approached me and I immediately took the job. It may have been a step down the pyramid but it was what was best for me professionally. They offered a better wage than Naesby ever did, and agreed to the coaching courses that Naesby weren't willing to scrap £400 together for. Holbaek sit bottom of the 3rd tier, 3 game into the season...

The journey continues...

Edited by BrightLad5

1 hour ago, BrightLad5 said:

Started out my career in Denmark, taking over at 4th division Naesby BK. We were 11 games into the season and Naesby sat 11th, one from bottom. I found it bizarre; the club were relegated the season before and the squad was incredible, I mean INCREDIBLE! no reason for them to be languishing at this position in the table. I promptly managed to get the team firing with minimal investment (investment HA! but we'll come back to that...)

It didn't take long to get them winning and we went on a 15 game win streak from when I took over, firing us up the table and into the promotion spots. Its worth noting that when I took over I requested to be put on my first coaching course which the club allowed. The first season was over and we were promoted as Champions, an achievement of course considering the position when I took over, but I took it with a pinch of salt.

By this point we were marginally over our incredibly small wage budget, spending roughly 4k a week, with a budget of around 3.7k. However, the club was losing money hand over fist, every month we were tanking. Already sitting at 200k in the red at the end of the first season.

Much of the same came in the second season, success, wins and a happy dressing room. However, due to the financial situation, the board denied me a second coaching course. I took it on the chin. I knew we were good enough to get up to the 2nd division and there was always a chance of going Pro at this level. Season 2 came and went, promotion as champions again, back to backs... I was slowly becoming a cult legend at the club.

Season 3, the big one, division 2 competing with some excellent teams, we weren't made Pro though. The wage budget had only been increased during these years to about 4.5k at this point and we were sinking further into the red! 

A side point on Danish finances, every club was "insecure" in the 2nd division. There is no prize money, no parachute payments, no cash for cup runs, and not even any fans in the stadiums, with most clubs lucky to get 500 fans in on match day. Every club seemed to be a sink hole. 

I was getting a bit despondent at this point. I was 2 seasons into my time at the club, about to start the 3rd season and still Id only had 1 coaching course. We were about 400k in the red and there seemed no hope of the club pulling itself out of this rut. The lack of wage budget and cash in the bank meant that we weren't able to renew any contracts! With contracts at this level in Denmark being limited to 1 year in length, it was near impossible to tie players down. Everyone was due to leave the club in the summer and I was powerless to stop this. It felt like a dead-end had been reached and I would be hard pressed to improve this squad for the next season.

The results were slower in the 2nd division, but they came and we managed to secure qualification to the "promotion stage". Much like in Scotland, Austria and other countries, the league splits after 22 games. It was at this point I decided that I needed to leave if I was going to progress. I told the board I would be leaving at the end of the season.

The season ended, we secured 6th after getting repeatedly battered in the Promotion stage, I feel this was my fault, my heart maybe wasn't in it at this point. I promptly left as a bit of hero nonetheless.

The issue I had now was I only had 1 badge under my belt and despite my successes with Naesby, most clubs wouldn't touch me. I was laughed off by fans of clubs and described as desperate by the media (not entirely untrue). It couldn't go on for long, the bills need paying after all! I decided to lower my expectations and applied for jobs throughout neighboring Sweden. I had 2 interviews with Swedish 4th division sides, but I couldn't do it. I knew I was worth more. Every interview I was having, the owner wasn't willing to put me on the much needed coaching course. I even walked out on the Viborg interview (2nd Division Denmark, the league I'd just left) as I knew I deserved a bit more of a chance taken on me.

Out of the blue, the Holbaek I&B job becomes available. They were newly promoted into the 3rd tier in Denmark, a league I had won just over 12 months earlier. I went to interview and they agreed to the coaching course! Success! They approached me and I immediately took the job. It may have been a step down the pyramid but it was what was best for me professionally. They offered a better wage than Naesby ever did, and agreed to the coaching courses that Naesby weren't willing to scrap £400 together for. Holbaek sit bottom of the 3rd tier, 3 game into the season...

The journey continues...

Great update this, good luck at Holbaek!

Having bagged my National C and B licences, and working on getting my A licence, as well as the impressive work I'm doing with Kilsyth Athletic, I've been offered three interviews by clubs a bit further up the pyramid. So far I have turned the offers down because I feel the club I'm at has some growth potential that could see me match those clubs in a season or two, but I noticed that next to my name on the manager profile screen, where it says 'wnt' when clubs are interested in you, revealed that a team from the Scottish Highland League was considering me (Huntly). The offer never came, but it showed that my name is on the shortlist of clubs one step away from the Scottish Football League. There are two adjacent leagues below the SPFL pyramid: the Highland and Lowland leagues. Offers from either of these leagues would put me within touching distance of becoming a football league manager. 

Anyway, as things stand, I'm still down in tier-8, working hard on getting Kilsyth Athletic promoted. We're playing some excellent football, and things are looking positive. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Just now, BrightLad5 said:

Oh wow! A month in the reserves I reckon!

He was my first choice right back last season. But a youth prospect has come up to the first team and done exceptionally well. So he has had to play second fiddle. Obviously has decided to chuck it with this behaviour. The annoying thing is, my young right-back is suspended for the next game, and this is when this guy decides to make himself unavailable for selection. He's a ****-taker. Won't be playing again under my management. 

11 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

He was my first choice right back last season. But a youth prospect has come up to the first team and done exceptionally well. So he has had to play second fiddle. Obviously has decided to chuck it with this behaviour. The annoying thing is, my young right-back is suspended for the next game, and this is when this guy decides to make himself unavailable for selection. He's a ****-taker. Won't be playing again under my management. 

Yup right call. :applause:

No player is bigger than the club! His decision to go out on the lash could have just ended his football career!!! :eek:

I just interviewed for the Broughty Athletic job in the Highland Football League. It's one step removed from the SPFL structure, so a great opportunity to advance my career. 

That being said, I am very much pushing for the title this season with Kilsyth. But I feel that it's such a good opportunity to put me in touching distance of becoming a football league manager. Having attained two sets of badges and working on the third (A Licence), it'd be nice to work at a higher level than the 8th tier. 

So, as per, something didn't feel right with Neftochimic. Does this happen to anyone else? Feels like a number of the saves I start have a bad "feeling" about them from the off. Sometimes I stick with it, but it never feels quite right and never goes away. I am willing to entertain that this isn't the norm....

Either way, I have ditched it and gone unemployed, with all leagues + Japan, Cyprus & North Macedonia. Applied for all lower division club jobs I fancied (except Neftochimic!) and was offered East Fife quite early. Fancied something a bit more exotic than Scotland, so delayed a couple of times in the hope of something a bit different. Brilliantly, a Cypriot second tier and an Indonesian second tier club each offered me a role on the same day. I decided to try and play them off against each other for better money/longer contract knowing that I at least had the less desirable East Fife on the back burner.

Suffice to say this tactic went exactly as you would expect and I am proud to announce that I am the new manager of East Fife.

They are actually in Scottish League 1 - so third tier - however expected by the board, media and bookies to be relegated. Title odds in a 10 team league are 200/1, with the team predicted to come 9th 50/1. I actually get the impression that even relegation wouldn't be the end for me and that I might get an extension anyway.

The squad looks ok-ish, but the good players seem split across 2 or 3 positions, with some worrying gaps in full back positions and up front.

Weird, as straight away, as soon as I arrived at the club, it just felt a good fit. Will play slowly, as per, but will update on here.

Edited by Junkhead

7 hours ago, Junkhead said:

So, as per, something didn't feel right with Neftochimic. Does this happen to anyone else? Feels like a number of the saves I start have a bad "feeling" about them from the off. Sometimes I stick with it, but it never feels quite right and never goes away. I am willing to entertain that this isn't the norm....

Either way, I have ditched it and gone unemployed, with all leagues + Japan, Cyprus & North Macedonia. Applied for all lower division club jobs I fancied (except Neftochimic!) and was offered East Fife quite early. Fancied something a bit more exotic than Scotland, so delayed a couple of times in the hope of something a bit different. Brilliantly, a Cypriot second tier and an Indonesian second tier club each offered me a role on the same day. I decided to try and play them off against each other for better money/longer contract knowing that I at least had the less desirable East Fife on the back burner.

Suffice to say this tactic went exactly as you would expect and I am proud to announce that I am the new manager of East Fife.

They are actually in Scottish League 1 - so third tier - however expected by the board, media and bookies to be relegated. Title odds in a 10 team league are 200/1, with the team predicted to come 9th 50/1. I actually get the impression that even relegation wouldn't be the end for me and that I might get an extension anyway.

The squad looks ok-ish, but the good players seem split across 2 or 3 positions, with some worrying gaps in full back positions and up front.

Weird, as straight away, as soon as I arrived at the club, it just felt a good fit. Will play slowly, as per, but will update on here.

How strange. I have just signed for my first SPFL club, having managed in the junior leagues for a couple of seasons. The club: East Fife! :D 

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

How strange. I have just signed for my first SPFL club, having managed in the junior leagues for a couple of seasons. The club: East Fife! :D 

Haha - how did they do in the first season in your save?

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

First season: 8th, three points off the relegation playoffs. 

Second season: rock bottom, relegated to League 2. 

They don't know they're born mate, the days of 8th place will be the stuff of halcyon legend once I've got my hands on them I can assure you.

For me, this is one of the most true to life things I've ever seen.

I'm Halifax Town, in season 1 I took over with them  in the bottom 3 with a remit just to fight bravely against relegation.

Season 2, I'm clear at the top of the league after 30ish games and I'm 19 games unbeaten.

I've just played and beaten Premier League Crystal Palace at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

The response of one fan:

image.png.3a6d1da39e93f6e2c9fc9b7ef5615a29.png

How the FM team have managed to accurately re-imagine football Twitter deserves credit.

8 hours ago, Platinum said:

@Junkhead just to let you know that I've had a fair few number of injuries in my Northern Ireland save. I like to think I'm fairly decent at managing players fitness too.

There weren't enough for me on Beta, things are better now but I am using the editor file...

12 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

There weren't enough for me on Beta, things are better now but I am using the editor file...

Which editor file are you using? I'm using majestic but it's gone extreme, far too many injuries now which I find a bit unrealistic. A player gets injured every game, which doesn't happen. I'm now testing the game without the file nd not had many injuries yet, but interested in another file which would have realistic frequency but not in the extreme

1 hour ago, Metal said:

Which editor file are you using? I'm using majestic but it's gone extreme, far too many injuries now which I find a bit unrealistic. A player gets injured every game, which doesn't happen. I'm now testing the game without the file nd not had many injuries yet, but interested in another file which would have realistic frequency but not in the extreme

I'm comfortable with the injury level in that file. Not getting one every game. However because of the type of training I use I tend to get less which is an accidental side effect. Not saying anymore #tipping :herman:

33 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I'm comfortable with the injury level in that file. Not getting one every game. However because of the type of training I use I tend to get less which is an accidental side effect. Not saying anymore #tipping :herman:

Think you're right. Just finished running test without the file and the frequency of injuries is far too low, thus making game management far too easy. Too many injuries is better than having far too few injuries imo.

The best way to check about injuries is to go:

Medical Center > Injury History and there is a section called "Injuries so far this season" - expected total (say 77). I am usually getting a way lower from expected, 50-60% because of rotation, balanced training etc. (I am getting email from Head Physio about this).

42 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

The best way to check about injuries is to go:

Medical Center > Injury History and there is a section called "Injuries so far this season" - expected total (say 77). I am usually getting a way lower from expected, 50-60% because of rotation, balanced training etc. (I am getting email from Head Physio about this).

On my Beta save with a semi pro team I didn't have an injury to a member of my 22 man first team squad until February 2022.  Small sample size I realise, but when I had that one I was sixth in the injury table in a 22 team league. That was enough to convince me :lol:

This thread is brilliant. In terms of realism at lower league level in Scotland (I see @Tikka Mezzala plays there), there was a big media file update released today for FM22 and I contributed loads of lower league real life Scottish sources, local papers, fan based league level podcasts etc. The pack is the Nik33 one. Will be too late for your current save.  A small step against the fairly limited media module from SI.

Over the years, there have been various media packs that tend to focus on large mainstream. If anyone here regularly plays at a particular lower level and would prefer that the media commenting on news feeds and social media as well as at press conferences (where relevant) were those that would in real life then please feel free to contribute to the thread in the editors hideaway and I will get them added in. Can cover any nation and level if you can specify the details. 

On 01/12/2021 at 19:55, Metal said:

Majestics is difficult at first and it certainly requires some micromanagement but once you hit the sweet spot I believe it to be far more closer to real life.

1 hour ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

Majestics is difficult at first and it certainly requires some micromanagement but once you hit the sweet spot I believe it to be far more closer to real life.

How do you micromanage? I put two day recovery after matches,  but players are still getting injured left,right and centre. Can't complain though it's much more realistic than not having the file where you can go a whole month and a international break without picking up an injury. 

On 24/11/2021 at 08:54, BrightLad5 said:

The journey continues...

Love the update!

I also got problems with getting coaching courses. In fact, I haven't got a single one since I started and I'm going into my third season now. Can't really decide if I should try my luck elsewhere, but then again, who wants a coach with no badges.

After taking a break for a few days, I have started with all leagues (plus Qatar, Japan & Cyprus) with Risca United.  The Welsh second tier is the lowest ranked out of all of the leagues this year, and Risca are newly promoted and have the lowest reputation.  This is the absolute lowest point I could start from, and I can't wait.  Hoping (finally) for a nice long career save and seeing where I end up!

3 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

To be fair you can probably watch the matches from the street outside

Yep. A lot of the lower league "stadiums" in real life, if you check them out on google maps, are just a field where some people bring folding lawn chairs to. Some might be down what one might consider to be a crack alley. I was quite surprised to find the current club I'm managing, a semi pro team with "average" training and youth facilities, is based out of an elementary school. As far as I can determine, they share a locker room with 7 year olds, which I imagine is kind of awkward.

In terms of realism, I'd love it if they toned down the crowds so that 12 people don't sound like 15k whenever there's a goal. Perhaps see/hear people during the match discussing it under such circumstances, even if it's simply a passing drunk hobo mocking everyone. Hey, maybe even especially that. But, generally, would be nice to get some crowd feedback during the game about what they like, and who they like, or not.

12 hours ago, Prepper_Jack said:

But, generally, would be nice to get some crowd feedback during the game about what they like, and who they like, or not.

I can assure you that after watching 4 league games that my 10 fans don't like any of the players. I know I don't.

Enjoying this save, think I've finally settled on one. Bottom of the league with a point and no idea how I can stay up. First transfer window disabled, thankfully I'm only a couple of weeks away from the loan window opening. Need a new first 11 basically :D

Just what I was after in a save, this.

16 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

To be fair you can probably watch the matches from the street outside 

At the lowest levels I really celebrate getting more season ticket holders :D

I had a look after you posted this, and actually their stadium appears to be a proper stadium. That being said, I imagine that 10 season ticket holders is actually high Vs reality. It's easy to forget just how small a Welsh second tier club actually is in comparison to other clubs, isn't it?

Reputation wise according to FM, conference north/south clubs are three times bigger than Risca Untied.

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

I had a look after you posted this, and actually their stadium appears to be a proper stadium. That being said, I imagine that 10 season ticket holders is actually high Vs reality. It's easy to forget just how small a Welsh second tier club actually is in comparison to other clubs, isn't it?

Reputation wise according to FM, conference north/south clubs are three times bigger than Risca Untied.

Yeah Risca have a pretty good main stand, seems like a good set up for that level.

I would say that rep sounds about right, compared to Fylde, York and Chester for example its light years difference.  They're more on par with level 9/10 in England I recon

On 09/12/2021 at 11:08, Prepper_Jack said:

In terms of realism, I'd love it if they toned down the crowds so that 12 people don't sound like 15k whenever there's a goal.

I noticed that too and had the exact same thought! My little club's community stadium supporters sounded like the Yellow Wall!