The Realism Thread

3 hours ago, kepz said:

There is, look for Nik33’s extended injuries system on the steam workshop. 

I personally prefer daves which can be found on this forum. I use the FM21 file and it still works fine as SI haven't actually touched injuries in yonks.

I find with Nik33's he's actually lowered the odds of more severe injuries. When IMO I still customise the files further and increase the odds. I don't see enough leg breaks and career enders. It's still rare, but happens more compared to vanilla as it should to add a bit more of a dynamic feel. Imagine crying yourself to sleep wondering what could've been if your 22 year old academy product hadn't suffered a double compound fracture :D

Edited by Domoboy23

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes I have forgotten Dave makes one as well. 

I’ve only been through a handful of seasons with Nik33’s and have had a decent spectrum of experience with injuries. One big injury, some moderate ones, and plenty minor ones that forced me to pay close attention to my medical center (something I’ve never before really done) and micromanage my training loads. Just sharing my experience!

Now I feel like I need to download the other and give it a shot… but my save is too good right now!

On 02/01/2022 at 12:09, Domoboy23 said:

I personally prefer daves which can be found on this forum. I use the FM21 file and it still works fine as SI haven't actually touched injuries in yonks.

I find with Nik33's he's actually lowered the odds of more severe injuries. When IMO I still customise the files further and increase the odds. I don't see enough leg breaks and career enders. It's still rare, but happens more compared to vanilla as it should to add a bit more of a dynamic feel. Imagine crying yourself to sleep wondering what could've been if your 22 year old academy product hadn't suffered a double compound fracture :D

Are you referring to majesticeternitys injury file that was also part of the collab megapack released by  Daveincid and majesticeternity?

I've struggled to really get interested in any of the dozen saves I've started since FM22 came out, and stumbled across this thread. Inspired by the tales of glorious failures, I'm giving it a go with my local-ish team, Kjelsås IL in the Norwegian third division, as someone who has generally relied on downloaded tactics this will be interesting...

4 hours ago, skog said:

as someone who has generally relied on downloaded tactics this will be interesting...

Playing this was has changed the game for me, I have felt far more rewarded creating blank slate tactics that work than I have downloading the latest high intensity tactic created by an influencer. I've recently gotten into doing every single set piece (def and att) and it is incredibly satisfying to see your designs result in goals or even chances in some cases. 

18 hours ago, Platinum said:

Are you referring to majesticeternitys injury file that was also part of the collab megapack released by  Daveincid and majesticeternity?

Nik has taken over majestic eternities files now, and Daveincid has his own.

Nik's adds injury types and increases frequency, Dave's doesn't add any new injuries but increases frequency (I think).

Well, we fought bravely against relegation, but unfortunately my first job in my career save ends in a relegation and a sacking.  We were expected to come bottom but really made a fist of it late on, only going down on the final day with a 3-2 defeat away at Ammanford who won the division.

image.png.13941ed0057a15f7011b2627f9aa9801.png

Not sure where I will end up, trying to balance realism with ambition.  The downside of starting with the lowest ranked club in the lowest ranked division is that there are few sideways moves.  On the flip side though, I fully expected to come bottom so it isn't as bad as it looks.

On 05/01/2022 at 00:52, Domoboy23 said:

Does anyone else feel dirty offering players trials pre-season (a lot) at lower levels?

Yeah for realism purposes try and avoid too many, I use the following guideline here

"It's perfectly acceptable to trial players during the off season, after all its what a lot of real life lower league clubs do, but try to avoid gaming the system by trialling massive amounts of players. It's highly unrealistic to bring in 50+ players on trial at a time so try to avoid doing so.

Short of a right back and a striker? By all means trial for positions you are short in, but as mentioned, avoid the temptation to trial en-mass and look to mainly offer trials players that you've scouted previously or at least give them the once over with your scouts before you do."

Stuck in a tough place in my save. Unemployed, the seasons have ticked over, but no jobs going in Wales or Northern Ireland which means I'm going to end up taking a job in the Conference Regionals, I think. Am applying for roles in the Swedish fourth division but not being offered them, probably due to me being English, whereas English clubs are offering. 

Play as realistically as the game allows, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Stuck in a tough place in my save. Unemployed, the seasons have ticked over, but no jobs going in Wales or Northern Ireland which means I'm going to end up taking a job in the Conference Regionals, I think. Am applying for roles in the Swedish fourth division but not being offered them, probably due to me being English, whereas English clubs are offering. 

Something will come up mate, just keep sending those applications in.

18 minutos atrás, Brother Ben disse:

Those rules look pretty hardcore

Good luck

It's a fair challenge, but it makes everything more realistc. The jump from a semi pro team to a full pro team gets a lot more interesting for example

On 07/01/2022 at 10:53, Junkhead said:

I managed to find a job with a Swedish fourth tier team with English nationality and Sunday league experience/no badges in about 4 months so wonder if there is something amiss if you've been trying for a few seasons?

8 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

I managed to find a job with a Swedish fourth tier team with English nationality and Sunday league experience/no badges in about 4 months so wonder if there is something amiss if you've been trying for a few seasons?

Yeah does seem strange, Swedish clubs are usually pretty open to offering jobs

I have to say... I've gotten inspired by this and having just moved around the corner from a 6th tier Belgian team I fancy giving it a go. Can somebody point me to a how to guide for downloading and installing leagues?

6 minutes ago, pdmalcolm said:

I have to say... I've gotten inspired by this and having just moved around the corner from a 6th tier Belgian team I fancy giving it a go. Can somebody point me to a how to guide for downloading and installing leagues?

Check that... they're in the 9th tier. Is that even possible to play as a mod?

2 minutes ago, pdmalcolm said:

Thanks for checking. I guess I'll just save myself a big load of hassle and stress, then :D

Don't let that put you off this way of playing though its really rewarding.

There is a Belgian add on by Riddler in the steam workshop, maybe find your closest tier 5 team?  Or even just start in the third tier which is already in the game?

1 hour ago, pdmalcolm said:

Check that... they're in the 9th tier. Is that even possible to play as a mod?

You could always create it. I did for Norway since there were no one available. Most of the work is in finding the info, after that it's mostly punching things into the editor. :)

24 minutes ago, XaW said:

You could always create it. I did for Norway since there were no one available. Most of the work is in finding the info, after that it's mostly punching things into the editor. :)

I had the same thought. I just bought a six pack, so this is gonna be my evening's work. 

Problem is, if they hit the big time and expand the stadium my house is getting demolished. 

1 minute ago, pdmalcolm said:

I had the same thought. I just bought a six pack, so this is gonna be my evening's work. 

Problem is, if they hit the big time and expand the stadium my house is getting demolished. 

If you get stuck somewhere, just ask in the editors hideaway, lots of excellent people there who can help. I'm a noob, but managed it, so it's very possible to do.

Some times you need to break a few houses to create a great stadium! ;) 

Okay everybody... Introducing Standaard Muide from the Belgian 3rd amateur division! As mentioned, this is my local team and their ground is hidden behind the houses I'm looking out of my window at right now! 

I still have to look through all my players and build a tactic but I'm made up to be able walk to work :lol:

Look out AA Gent... We're coming for you!

So... How am I finding players willing to join on amateur deals? 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Platinum said:

Im on a terrible run of 6 games without a win. 

Time for me to update my FM Career thread, I had covid and was very tired for a while after so hadn't updated it in a while

Sorry to hear that, hope you have recovered! (From Covid, I mean - not the poor form. Although that too lol)

4 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Sorry to hear that, hope you have recovered! (From Covid, I mean - not the poor form. Although that too lol)

Thanks, yeah Im fully recovered now!

Its now 8 games without a win. The form is really bad, I don't think I've ever had it this bad before. After a great start to the season I'm now dangerously close to the relegation spaces. You'll see it all in my next couple of Career updates coming out today if you're interested.

Edited by Platinum

2 hours ago, Platinum said:

Thanks, yeah Im fully recovered now!

Its now 8 games without a win. The form is really bad, I don't think I've ever had it this bad before. After a great start to the season I'm now dangerously close to the relegation spaces. You'll see it all in my next couple of Career updates coming out today if you're interested.

Hope you can turn the form around mate, N. Ireland is pretty unforgiving though

Here's a link to your thread for those who haven't seen it yet, I'm really enjoying it

Edited by Brother Ben

Following the rules I created in page 18, I started unemployed but soon got a job at the welsh second division: Colwyn Bay FC

The team has the biggest average attendance in the country, so I was very lucky to get a job there. The team is semi-pro and has half a star reputation

My save started in december 2021, so there weren't many games left in the season. We were fifth when I got the job and we finished third. Only first place gets promoted. 3 at the back was my prefered tatic

-----------

In the next season, we were by far the club with the biggest wage budget, and so the league was very easy. As we were clear favorites, I used the 4231 a lot, very agressive. 4231 and 433 were the way to go. 

fmmmmmm.png.1b204784400a8d49442a20a18cafabac.png

In the two cups, I did very well, even as a second division team. We manage to win against TNS, which was a miracle. 

During this seaosn, I got an job interview to manage Connah's Quay, a powerful first division team. I really thought I was going to get the job, but they chose someone else. And then I got eliminated in the cup by them. Revenge was a matter of time

At the end of the season, I had an amazing youth intake. This guy came on board at the age of 15 and instantly became a fist team choice:

fmmmm.png.cae587c32a4aae078784eb52bdcfb6b8.png

------------

My third seaon was excellent. Not only did a finish second in the first division (TNS is tough to beat) I won both cups! But things were not easy as my 4231 did not work. I used most of the time a 433 and at the end of the season I turned back to a 3 at the back, as my wingers stopped scoring. But Kai Myers (the kid above), playing as a CM Attack in a 433, led the way and even finished as the top goal scorer in the division! 

fmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.png.9333bc12cbc010095e920c81e6d6dc62.png

But the biggest miracle was signing this guy on a free at the age of 16, without any kind of competition. As my wingers stopped scoring, he came mid season to save the day together with Kai:

fmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.png.01fc78d7ad71c250c90d8cd5074b088a.png

I applied for many jobs during the season, with zero interviews given. And of course Connah's Quay, had a ****** season. I even won one of the cups against them. Thank you FM 

---------------

Even with european football coming, I decided to step down as Colwyn Bay manager. The board was friendly all the time with me, and I ended up with 30% reputaiton and a Continental B License.  Colwyn Bay even went on to become a one star club! According to my rules, I did not have much time to find a new job because I was not earning a lot, but I could apply to clubs up to two stars. And so I did

And now I manage Bristol Rover, in the Sky Bet League 2. My first pro team

That's the journey so far

Edited by AEJ

On 27/01/2022 at 11:26, mikcheck said:

Does anyone play without player attributes and/or no CA/PA info? If so, what do you think?

I've started to play attributless and no CA/PA  but it's really strange and a bit confusing, at least for now.

I know that some people in this thread do, but I personally don't. I actually think its less realistic than playing with attributes as coach reports are not detailed enough. Also PCA/PPA as judged by coaches and scouts can be very inaccurate, and even more so in lower leagues, so I don't see the issue with it. But we all have different opinions on this.

Edited by Platinum

6 hours ago, AEJ said:

But the biggest miracle was signing this guy on a free at the age of 16, without any kind of competition. As my wingers stopped scoring, he came mid season to save the day together with Kai:

How on earth did you manage to get him lool. Hope it goes well at Bristol

16 horas atrás, Platinum disse:

How on earth did you manage to get him lool. Hope it goes well at Bristol

He was playing in the sevond division, hidden from all the first divisin teams, including me..

I found out about him when the game mentioned in an article that he was the currently top scorer of the Nathaniel Cup. I decided to click on his name but I could not see his attributes. But as he was young and a regen, I decided to add him to my shortlist just in case. 3 months later and my assistant warns me that he was out of contract. I offered a trial and when I saw his attributes, I became deperate to sign him. I did nothing in the game until I knew I signed him lol

But I will not sign him from Colwyn Bay. I want them to suceed this season

After a successful interview I've just been offered a job by a semi-pro team in the league above me and I'm deliberating on whether I should accept it, so I came here to get your opinions before my next Career Update.

So far what I've achieved:

• Promotion with Moyoloa Park who were expected to finish bottom half of the table

• Reached two semi finals in cups which was beyond expectation

• Won two manager of the month awards

• Managed to avoid a direct relegation fight once promoted but still I'm in the lower half of the table so theres still the small threat

• Played entertaining and possession football

• Had a reputation increase

• National A License

So I can understand why a team could take a punt on me, although it would still be risky. Moyola Park who I currently manage are broke, even with a small wage budget. They lose money every month for some reason, and the chairman has to regularly pump his own money in the club just to keep it afloat. This means that I can never upgrade my facilities and my players arent improving. To get promoted to the league above I think will take between 2 to 3 seasons as our squad is really bad even to the extent some players have left to teams in lower leagues because they pay more and have a better rep.

Cliftonville are a team in the NIFL Premiership (top league in northern Ireland and the league above me) and they aim to be the "best of the rest". They have a bit of history, are the oldest club in Ireland, but havent won anything in about 8 years. Decent facilities and they are letting me take some of my staff with me. There is the chance to play in the qualifying rounds for the Europa Conference League even when finishing in 7th place in the league (via playoffs in the domestic league). They are still a semi-pro team and the best teams in this league are professional so competing with them will be difficult.

Part of me feels like I've not taken Moyola far enough, but then another part of me feels like they are in a terrible place financially and matching my ambition will be difficult for them. If I went to Cliftonville I would stay until I eventually broke into the top 3 and won the league however long it takes, as I really want to push a club to new heights, which will be difficult but doable if I manage to qualify for Europe consistently.

Also this would be my first time ever changing jobs in an FM save.

@Brother Ben @Junkhead

Edited by Platinum

Personally, I am on the fence as to if I would take it or not.  On one hand it is quite a jump club wise, however the NIPL is still very low reputation.  Moyola's reputation is very low and you're likely to want to move upwards.  I gave up after failing to avoid relegation on my Risca save because there weren't even any sideways moves, let alone one to a lower club after my failure.  I kept rejecting jobs that I thought were unrealistic and ended up with nowhere to go really.  It would only take a bad season and your stock would drop again, so on balance, I would go for it!

It's hard to say as i'm not overly familiar with N Irish leagues but my gut feeling would be that I would not take the job as it seems unlikely that a team with their stature would offer you the job despite how well you have done under difficult circumstances.  I'd say maybe relegation battlers in that division or other teams in your current league would be fair game. 

Other people will likely have differing opinions but to me it sounds like you do indeed have unfinished business where you are 

I would, without a doubt, change jobs

Moyola ia a club that needs time to develop. A lot of time

It will hurt your reputation long term. I usually don't care about developing semi pro teams. In my journeyman saves, they are a stepping stone more than anything

Go to the first division, get that european football and then try going to a professional team as soon as possible

52 minutes ago, AEJ said:

I would, without a doubt, change jobs

The question is though is the move realistic?

From what I was able to find out Cliftonville's current manager was offered the job after winning the second tier with Institute FC.  These are the kind of precedents I look for in my own saves when making such decisions.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Im still deciding to be honest.

Also just to be clear Cliftonville were in a relegation battle when they sacked their manager, the caretaker did well though and they are now 12 points from safety. But the league splits into a Relegation Group soon so the possibility of relegation is real. I think its hard to know really. Is it rare for someone of my stature to be offered the job? Definitely. Is it impossible? Im not sure.

4 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Im still deciding to be honest.

Also just to be clear Cliftonville were in a relegation battle when they sacked their manager, the caretaker did well though and they are now 12 points from safety. But the league splits into a Relegation Group soon so the possibility of relegation is real. I think its hard to know really. Is it rare for someone of my stature to be offered the job? Definitely. Is it impossible? Im not sure.

That context does change it a fair bit, I guess its your call 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I need some input on my manager carreer. I've been managing Fjölnir in the second tier of Iceland. I'm in my fourth season, we have a decent team and I've been doing OK. Fourth place the first season, third the second season and last season I missed promotion on goal difference. This season I'm also fighting for promotion. The problem is the club finances. It's bad. Which means I won't be able to get my coaching badges. And I'm an ambitious guy, I want to move up the ladder, but I find that hard with no badges. I keep going back and forth whether I should not extend my contract and try my luck elsewhere, but then again, who wants a guy with no badges, or stay and continue to grind.

So the question is, should I stay or should I go? ..."If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double" (sorry couldn't resist).

1 hour ago, Continum said:

Hi guys!

I need some input on my manager carreer. I've been managing Fjölnir in the second tier of Iceland. I'm in my fourth season, we have a decent team and I've been doing OK. Fourth place the first season, third the second season and last season I missed promotion on goal difference. This season I'm also fighting for promotion. The problem is the club finances. It's bad. Which means I won't be able to get my coaching badges. And I'm an ambitious guy, I want to move up the ladder, but I find that hard with no badges. I keep going back and forth whether I should not extend my contract and try my luck elsewhere, but then again, who wants a guy with no badges, or stay and continue to grind.

So the question is, should I stay or should I go? ..."If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double" (sorry couldn't resist).

For me, it would depend on what other leagues I had running. If you're only running the Icelandic league then you might end up at a club in the same division in a worse position than you were initially. However with lots of leagues running, a sideways move to another country, particularly in another Scandinavian country would likely be possible. 

What would you do in real life?

Oh, and remember, "if you're out to make honey, don't go killing all the bees" ;)

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

For me, it would depend on what other leagues I had running. If you're only running the Icelandic league then you might end up at a club in the same division in a worse position than you were initially. However with lots of leagues running, a sideways move to another country, particularly in another Scandinavian country would likely be possible. 

What would you do in real life?

Oh, and remember, "if you're out to make honey, don't go killing all the bees" ;)

I have all the Nordic countries + the big leagues loaded. So there are options.

In real life I would probably look elsewhere. If I don't get my badges I won't be able to get the bigger jobs. I'll be stuck in Iceland eating fermented shark. But then again, you don't know what you had before you've lost it, the grass isn't greener on the other side and so on.

I'll make a decision at the end of the season. If I get promoted I'll probably stay, if not I'll find my way out. I think. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your input. In the end it comes down to my decision, but it's always great to hear other peoples perspective.