FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

6 minutes ago, ru9a said:

Could you maybe recommend a computer who works fine for FM 2023? The price should be under 3000 Krona (300euro).

Thanks!

That is a very tight budget. It might be worth looking at older business laptops like a Thinkpad or something. An i7 6th or 7th gen might be around that price and would come with more than 4gb of RAM. The iGPU still won't be great but they are built like tanks and the performance would still be better than a 10th gen i3

edit: this would, obviously, be 2nd hand

Edited by Gangor

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gangor said:

That is a very tight budget. It might be worth looking at older business laptops like a Thinkpad or something. An i7 6th or 7th gen might be around that price and would come with more than 4gb of RAM. The iGPU still won't be great but they are built like tanks and the performance would still be better than a 10th gen i3

edit: this would, obviously, be 2nd hand

Great. Thanks!

8 hours ago, ilyes92300 said:

https://rog.asus.com/gaming-handhelds/rog-ally/rog-ally-2023/ Hi what do you think of this new console which will be under Windows 11. do you think it will run fm like on PC?

I expect it to run FM very well. I'd personally suggest the Steam Deck though - I've found it runs the game very well and the touch pads (not present on the Ally) are invaluable.

2 hours ago, Gangor said:

I expect it to run FM very well. I'd personally suggest the Steam Deck though - I've found it runs the game very well and the touch pads (not present on the Ally) are invaluable.

Yes, but the advantage with this console under Windows 11 is that it will be like a computer and we can put Skins, download Logos, connect it to an external screen like on a real computer

1 hour ago, ilyes92300 said:

Yes, but the advantage with this console under Windows 11 is that it will be like a computer and we can put Skins, download Logos, connect it to an external screen like on a real computer

These are all things you can do on the Deck as well, jfyi

4 hours ago, ilyes92300 said:

The steam deck is the same, albeit with Linux rather than Windows. All of those things are still possible

Edit: should you wish Windows can also be installed on the Steam Deck.

Edited by Gangor

3 minutes ago, ru9a said:

Hi guys,

Opinions on this one?

Lenovo ThinkPad T480 i5 512GB - ReuseIT

It doesnt have to be a monster, just want it to work fine for journeysaves and not take so much time between the days loading. The 3D graphics doesnt have to be great also.

Intel Core I5-8350U
8GB DDR4 SDRAM
Intel HD Graphics 620

Looks a good deal for the price.

Budget: Under £800, lower the price the better but just want the best laptop i can get at this stage. Could stretch further if the perfect one appeared.

Needs: Comfortable playing FM for hours at a time. Only usually load 4/5 countries and maybe 15-20 leagues roughly. Also need it cope with coding via python, with databases of 10k+ players/rows being loaded at a time.

Specs: Ideally a larger screen but not necessary really. Graphics i couldnt care about, i play on 2D regardless. Not a clue about actual specifics around hard drives/processors etc.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Budget: Under £800, lower the price the better but just want the best laptop i can get at this stage. Could stretch further if the perfect one appeared.

Needs: Comfortable playing FM for hours at a time. Only usually load 4/5 countries and maybe 15-20 leagues roughly. Also need it cope with coding via python, with databases of 10k+ players/rows being loaded at a time.

Specs: Ideally a larger screen but not necessary really. Graphics i couldnt care about, i play on 2D regardless. Not a clue about actual specifics around hard drives/processors etc.

The meta for this thread, at this price point, is to suggest a gaming laptop with an H series i5/ryzen 5 and a modest GPU. That would be fine. Since graphics aren't an issue for you (and besides modern CPUs have much better integrated graphics than they did before anyway) you might also consider a more general use laptop with a U (or maybe P) series i7/ryzen 7 processor. Overall multithreaded performance (which will have the biggest impact on FM) is going to be fairly similar. 

Benefits of gaming laptop:

- Dedicated GPU for other games or 3D match engine (though probably the iGPU will be fine for that)

- Single thread will be faster. This may benefit FM though I believe it is fairly multi-threaded

- Sustained performance is probably better. These laptops tend to have chonky cooling solutions which will keep up if the processor is put under a sustained load. This will be an issue if you have large databases and therefore longer processing breaks

Benefits of general purpose laptop:

- Lighter

- Quieter

- Better battery life

- Uses less energy (only a small amount less, but still..)

- No "gamer" aesthetic. You can take it somewhere where there are other adults

- Often the keyboard, trackpad etc on these laptops is a bit nicer (will depend on the model)

Currently AMD is probably producing the best laptop CPUs, but`not by much and Intel ones are much more readily available. 

10 hours ago, colzinho said:

thoughts on this one please

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-x1500ea-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-black-10240161.html

it's at the top end of my budget, but I think it ticks all my boxes

It looks like a decent choice at that price point. The CPU is from 2020, but that'll be why it's discounted and it will still perform well. 

9 hours ago, Gangor said:

The meta for this thread, at this price point, is to suggest a gaming laptop with an H series i5/ryzen 5 and a modest GPU. That would be fine. Since graphics aren't an issue for you (and besides modern CPUs have much better integrated graphics than they did before anyway) you might also consider a more general use laptop with a U (or maybe P) series i7/ryzen 7 processor. Overall multithreaded performance (which will have the biggest impact on FM) is going to be fairly similar. 

Benefits of gaming laptop:

- Dedicated GPU for other games or 3D match engine (though probably the iGPU will be fine for that)

- Single thread will be faster. This may benefit FM though I believe it is fairly multi-threaded

- Sustained performance is probably better. These laptops tend to have chonky cooling solutions which will keep up if the processor is put under a sustained load. This will be an issue if you have large databases and therefore longer processing breaks

Benefits of general purpose laptop:

- Lighter

- Quieter

- Better battery life

- Uses less energy (only a small amount less, but still..)

- No "gamer" aesthetic. You can take it somewhere where there are other adults

- Often the keyboard, trackpad etc on these laptops is a bit nicer (will depend on the model)

Currently AMD is probably producing the best laptop CPUs, but`not by much and Intel ones are much more readily available. 

Above my budget stated but would this be decent? I only use it at home and its mostly coding i do on it, rather than FM these days (although that might change if my laptop isnt a potato anymore)

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-envy-17cr0501na-17.3-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10239479.html

Or this one which is in budget

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/hp-victus-16-e0038na-161-inch-ryzen-7-5800h-16gb-512gb-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-qwerty-uk/a5f41e26-8c2c-4cdc-be11-2605aa920f6a#l=10

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Above my budget stated but would this be decent? I only use it at home and its mostly coding i do on it, rather than FM these days (although that might change if my laptop isnt a potato anymore)

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-envy-17cr0501na-17.3-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10239479.html

Or this one which is in budget

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/hp-victus-16-e0038na-161-inch-ryzen-7-5800h-16gb-512gb-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-qwerty-uk/a5f41e26-8c2c-4cdc-be11-2605aa920f6a#l=10

They both have discrete GPUs so there's no particular advantage (imo) to the U variant. Out of these two I'd pick the Victus. 

If you don't mind refurbished this looks like a pretty good deal: https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/hp-envy-17-cr0503sa-173-inch-2022-core-i7-1260p-16gb-ssd-512-gb-qwerty-english-uk/2d7e4ae6-f889-44a9-9ee2-18e96299d134?shopping=gmc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmN2iBhCrARIsAG_G2i4szCwcRMd76pY_yZwbMSg4yLQy2MECyZp_gHr6qcyYMU1Tl0OXMzsaAuDJEALw_wcB#l=10

With this generation Intel introduced the P ("professional") series which is general purpose but part way between U and H in terms processing power and power consumption. Battery life would be worse than a U series processor but there is less of a compromise in performance from the H-series. It should be possible to find this model new about the same price as the Envy one you suggested above.

Edited by Gangor

Evening all, 

I have just purchased a laptop- Microsoft surface go 2 

specs are-

Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor

RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD 

it’s been well over a decade since I last played football/ champ manager and I’m looking to get back into it as I’m doing a lot of working away and need something to do. 

will this laptop enable me to play football manager 2023 via steam gaming?

thanks for any help 

1 hour ago, SeanKelly17 said:

Evening all, 

specs are-

it’s been well over a decade since I last played football/ champ manager and I’m looking to get back into it as I’m doing a lot of working away and need something to do. 

thanks for any help 

Yes it'll play FM just fine. 

2 hours ago, SeanKelly17 said:

Evening all, 

specs are-

thanks for any help 

If you are wondering how it will play (speed or 3d) and don't want to buy the game without it working, you can try the Steam demo. It's the full game, just limited to 6 months ingame time. And if you decide to buy, you can continue the same save if you want.

46 minutes ago, XaW said:

If you are wondering how it will play (speed or 3d) and don't want to buy the game without it working, you can try the Steam demo. It's the full game, just limited to 6 months ingame time. And if you decide to buy, you can continue the same save if you want.

Excellent. Thanks 

Hi guys 

i just bought a thinkpad 480 but i am not satisfied

i will use my warranty 

please let me now what you are thinking about this one 

• Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4-processor

• 8 GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128 GB SSD

https://www.elgiganten.se/product/outlet/lenovo-ideapad-5-cb-i38128-14-barbar-dator/604171

Or should I go for this one

HP 255 G8 | Ryzen 5 5500U | 15.6" | 8 GB | 256 GB SSD | silver | Win 11 Home | DE | 4 793 kr | Nu med en 30 dagars provperiod (refurbed.se)

Edited by ru9a

Could be a weird question but how long time is it normal for the game to load between the days when it’s international fixtures?

My computer is loading approximately 15-20 seconds now, but I’m afraid it will be much longer than that when the years go in the game.

16 hours ago, ru9a said:

Hi guys 

i just bought a thinkpad 480 but i am not satisfied

i will use my warranty 

please let me now what you are thinking about this one 

• Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4-processor

• 8 GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128 GB SSD

https://www.elgiganten.se/product/outlet/lenovo-ideapad-5-cb-i38128-14-barbar-dator/604171

Or should I go for this one

HP 255 G8 | Ryzen 5 5500U | 15.6" | 8 GB | 256 GB SSD | silver | Win 11 Home | DE | 4 793 kr | Nu med en 30 dagars provperiod (refurbed.se)

Out of the two, I'd opt for the model with the Ryzen 5 5500U.

14 hours ago, ru9a said:

Could be a weird question but how long time is it normal for the game to load between the days when it’s international fixtures?

My computer is loading approximately 15-20 seconds now, but I’m afraid it will be much longer than that when the years go in the game.

That depends on so many factors - CPU model, size of database etc that this question really isn't possible to answer.  The game will slow down over time due to the fact the in-game database is forever expanding with more data.

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Out of the two, I'd opt for the model with the Ryzen 5 5500U.

Ok thanks kev. What can you say about the model and processor for journeysaves? Is it powerful enough? A small database is enough for me.

2 hours ago, ru9a said:

Ok thanks kev. What can you say about the model and processor for journeysaves? Is it powerful enough? A small database is enough for me.

Yes, it's a very capable laptop CPU.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Yes, it's a very capable laptop CPU.

Alright, is it worth it to go up to this one for 100euro more
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 R5-4/8/512/1650Ti/120Hz 15.6" bärbar dator gaming - Elgiganten

And also how does this one compare to the other two?

HP Pavilion Aero 13 R5-5/8/256 13.3" bärbar dator - Elgiganten

Sorry for the many questions, but I really want to be sure before buying one this time :)

1 hour ago, ru9a said:

Alright, is it worth it to go up to this one for 100euro more
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 R5-4/8/512/1650Ti/120Hz 15.6" bärbar dator gaming - Elgiganten

And also how does this one compare to the other two?

Sorry for the many questions, but I really want to be sure before buying one this time :)

image.thumb.png.0ad7475da0f38119670442ff7717e6e5.png

The more expensive one does rate higher on the benchmarks in terms of CPU and also has a dedicated graphics card.  So, to me it looks a good deal.

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

image.thumb.png.0ad7475da0f38119670442ff7717e6e5.png

The more expensive one does rate higher on the benchmarks in terms of CPU and also has a dedicated graphics card.  So, to me it looks a good deal.

Thanks Kev as always. 

I went with HP Pavilion Aero AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600U 

The more expensive one wasnt available anymore.

On 07/05/2023 at 12:39, Gangor said:

They both have discrete GPUs so there's no particular advantage (imo) to the U variant. Out of these two I'd pick the Victus. 

If you don't mind refurbished this looks like a pretty good deal: https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/hp-envy-17-cr0503sa-173-inch-2022-core-i7-1260p-16gb-ssd-512-gb-qwerty-english-uk/2d7e4ae6-f889-44a9-9ee2-18e96299d134?shopping=gmc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmN2iBhCrARIsAG_G2i4szCwcRMd76pY_yZwbMSg4yLQy2MECyZp_gHr6qcyYMU1Tl0OXMzsaAuDJEALw_wcB#l=10

With this generation Intel introduced the P ("professional") series which is general purpose but part way between U and H in terms processing power and power consumption. Battery life would be worse than a U series processor but there is less of a compromise in performance from the H-series. It should be possible to find this model new about the same price as the Envy one you suggested above.

Went with this in the end, will let you know how it goes.

As it stands it downloaded the game in about 10 minutes, whereas my old laptop took about an hour 😂

3 minutes ago, ru9a said:

Just received my new computer, how big database do u believe I can play with? I want it to run smooth even with journeysaves.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600U-processor
8 GB DDR4 RAM, 256 GB SSD

We can't comment on how big a game database you should set up, as what is acceptable in terms of processing speed is entirely subjective.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

We can't comment on how big a game database you should set up, as what is acceptable in terms of processing speed is entirely subjective.

Alright, but is the database only important in the beginning of the game, or is it good to have a big database when you are in 2040 for example? 

Just now, ru9a said:

Alright, but is the database only important in the beginning of the game, or is it good to have a big database when you are in 2040 for example? 

Having never played that many seasons into a game, I don't know the answer.  The thing to bear in mind is the game's database gets larger and larger as the game goes on as more data is added, newgens being added etc, so the game will slow down over time.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

Having never played that many seasons into a game, I don't know the answer.  The thing to bear in mind is the game's database gets larger and larger as the game goes on as more data is added, newgens being added etc, so the game will slow down over time.

Ok thanks!

Hi, which laptop will run FM23 more smoothly, https://itzoo.co.uk/products/refurbished-lenovo-thinkpad-t490-laptop-i5-8365u-16gb-256gb-ssd or the https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEDION-AKOYA-E15303-Windows-Laptop/dp/B099LK8CV1 Thanks in advance, on a tight budget so don't expect to be able to run loads of leagues or anything. 

Edited by Frenchy66
Link

3 hours ago, Frenchy66 said:

Hi, which laptop will run FM23 more smoothly, https://itzoo.co.uk/products/refurbished-lenovo-thinkpad-t490-laptop-i5-8365u-16gb-256gb-ssd or the https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEDION-AKOYA-E15303-Windows-Laptop/dp/B099LK8CV1 Thanks in advance, on a tight budget so don't expect to be able to run loads of leagues or anything. 

Both would be decent options. To be honest I'd expect similar performance from both. The Ryzen processor is newer but is a lower tier. The extra RAM is nice but not strictly necessary for FM. I'd look at other aspects like the battery (second hand will be reduced life), screen etc. depending on what's important to you. 

44 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Some opinions on the below would be great. 

I don't play anything in 3d. Still a dots man, so presumably don't need anything in regards to dedicated graphics. It does however have a lovely looking screen. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1954887

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-16x-x1603za-16-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10240160.html

That's another one to consider.  Same CPU, RAM and SSD size.  

Differences are size (16" rather than 14") and display (1080p LED rather than 1880p OLED).  The one at Argos does definitely have the better screen, so if you don't mind the extra £100 then it's a good shout.

53 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Some opinions on the below would be great. 

I don't play anything in 3d. Still a dots man, so presumably don't need anything in regards to dedicated graphics. It does however have a lovely looking screen. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1954887

One thing to bear in mind with OLED is that it has the tendency to burn in, particularly with UI elements which remain static on the screen for long periods. FM has a lot of UI elements. 

12 minutes ago, IMT said:

https://www.box.co.uk/82S9009GUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-3-Intel-Core-i5-16_4129900.html

Any chance of someone having a quick look at this and seeing if it seems a decent deal. Would be used for FM, streaming and office work. Potentially my kid using it for a few more graphic heavier games than FM hence wanting a dedicated GC. 

Thanks. 

This will be perfectly capable for FM, streaming and office work. Don't expect too much for modern AAA games as the GPU is quite weak, but on low settings they should be able to run. Something to bear in mind is this is the entry level tier for Lenovo gaming laptops so there will be compromises to build quality, cooling, battery etc. 

27 minutes ago, Gangor said:

This will be perfectly capable for FM, streaming and office work. Don't expect too much for modern AAA games as the GPU is quite weak, but on low settings they should be able to run. Something to bear in mind is this is the entry level tier for Lenovo gaming laptops so there will be compromises to build quality, cooling, battery etc. 

Thanks for the advice 👍

3 hours ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

Which MacBook Pro would you suggest if anyone plays on it? Looking to get one in the summer for general use and FM obviously. Interested to know how people find the FM experience as it’s top of all the benchmarking on site 

If you want to get a MacBook, quite simply get the highest spec you can afford, as you can't upgrade the spec on it at all once you've chosen the model you want without buying an entirely new one.

9 hours ago, kevhamster said:

If you want to get a MacBook, quite simply get the highest spec you can afford, as you can't upgrade the spec on it at all once you've chosen the model you want without buying an entirely new one.

Would suggest a mac over a similar priced windows laptop then? 

3 hours ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

Would suggest a mac over a similar priced windows laptop then? 

You'd likely get a more powerful spec going for a similarly priced Windows laptop.  My suggestion would generally be to go for a Windows based machine unless you have a specific desire for MacOS, purely from  a value for money point of view.  But Apple machines are very well built, tend to last and hold their value quite well and the M1 and M2 chips are excellent laptop CPU's.