Anyone else struggling?

Tactics have been unintuitive pretty much since Wibble/Wobble was kicked into touch. I've read the thread linked to above, and made formations the way suggested but they haven't brought even a modicum of success with my Hull side (even after considerable strengthening for the second season).

Tactics have been unintuitive pretty much since Wibble/Wobble was kicked into touch. I've read the thread linked to above, and made formations the way suggested but they haven't brought even a modicum of success with my Hull side (even after considerable strengthening for the second season).

Thats what i feel like too.

Why oh why is this game so hard! :(

I'm not the most patient person at the best of times ,and when my team loses, the red mist descends. Lose more than 2 or 3 on the trot and I have to take a break normally, or else the laptop/cd/anything i can get my hands on will be going out the window!

Anyone else get like this or is it just me.

Think I've screamed at it a few times too lol

Yeah..strikers are terrible..Torres is rubbish with me!!

Ps Just went to Arsenal and stupidly threw caution to the wind..went Attacking as i could without (going all out attack)..they had all the chances and i won 2-1..but heres the best bit..After instructing Mascherano. my DEFENSIVE midfielder to never stray forward..to be as defensive as possible..never take long range shots..wins me the game with a long range strike..the players do not listen!!

For me it's my strikers.

More than half of their shots are either 5 yards wide or straight at the keeper...

80+% of my games I dominate in possession and shots but it's not enough.

Agreed Michi - I'm managing Leicester, and I'd fancy that Matty Fryatt, Steve Howard and Paul Dickov, whilst not exactly world beaters, should be scoring against League One sides with at least reasonable regularity. I'm playing fairly balanced tactics (flat 4-4-2 away, diamond at home), and I'm yet to score more than once in a game in over half a season, apart from one freak game against Brighton away, where we scored 4 in the first ten minutes....

Still, it's an early incarnation of a new FM game... the bugs are part of the charm. :p

EDIT: Oh, and I took Michael Chopra on loan in order to solve my striking crisis - he's yet to break 5.6 in eight games, despite my assistant's insistence that he's a fantastic signing. :-/

I believe there's an issue with possession. Sides that are under the cosh pass it around at the back going nowhere, and this pushes the stat up.

I haven't watched a full match in 09, but this was definately an issue in 08. The opposition would form a triangle and just pass the ball between themselves, while your players seemed to creep up on them like Inidana Jones, rather than close them down properly. The opposition seemed intent to run the clock down, regardless of whether or not they were winning. This was only really noticeable if watching the match in full detail/full mode and i'd hoped it would be sorted for 09.

FM 2010 has to include one startling omission that i still cant believe has been implemented yet..Training linked to player tactics...There is no way for me in the game to be able to set up my specific tactics and be able to improve and master them on the training ground..This is what is done in real life...SI..take note..because the way it is now..its purely a guessing game..The sliders for training is a disaster and add nothing to how my team performs on a match day..

I believe there's an issue with possession. Sides that are under the cosh pass it around at the back going nowhere, and this pushes the stat up.

I'm not patched up to 9.1.0 (Mac with Tiger) but haven't seen any sign of that in the release version. It was certainly a major, major issue in 08, but thus far it seems fine, or at least substantially reduced, in 09.

im using a similar tactic to which i used in 08 and had GREAT success but using it on 09 the scoring comes an goes. its very yoyo'e. may i also just add that just because you go 1-0 up does NOT mean the other team HAVE to up there game. i now football is a sport and not a science but my god i have worldclass players who should in almost every game buckle under pressure.

Just won two friendlies in a row 4-1 and 3-1 after changing to a 4-4-2 and tinkering about with it. Carlton Cole has scored 5 in two more than he ever did in 08 so I'm happy for now although my fixture list reads Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea for first three fixtures of the season!!!

Actually when Cole lobbed one over the keeper it was great to watch.

Quick tip play the friendlies and tinker. Ashton and Noble were awful first half so at half time I cahnged around their player instructions saved the new tactic and they both scored second half.

Friendlies and the early part of the season are not the problem for me. It's October onwards where things go ladylumps-up. And it seems like you have to devise some odd formation to have any chance. 4-4-2 doesn't work, which is very annoying when you're playing in England!

When I go on tonight it will be my first ever game on FM09, in a friendly away at Lincoln (I'm Barnsley). I have sucked at most FM's though (apart from FM05 which I ruled the world) and now having read this thread, I fully expect this game to be gathering dust in 2 months. What's more, if that is the case I wont be buying another FM. Which is a big shame because I have owned every single CM/FM (with the exception of one of the CM3 series) and have wasted many happy years playing it.

As someone said higher up this thread, I play games for enjoyment, and if I don't enjoy it I don't play it. I'm not saying that this is the way forward, but any other game I struggle with I adjust the difficulty level - unfortunately with FM it's not that simple.

Friendlies and the early part of the season are not the problem for me. It's October onwards where things go ladylumps-up. And it seems like you have to devise some odd formation to have any chance. 4-4-2 doesn't work, which is very annoying when you're playing in England!

Well I'm usually the worlds worst at getting tactics right. But this time seems easier. Started unemployed and got the Montrose job, haven't changed the side much (a couple of loans and a back-up left full back). Stick with the standard 4-4-2, use the default selection for the position then tweak mentality and closing down (as per the T&T forum). So far at the start of November I have W9 D1 L1 in the league.

Are you playing a high status team, with a low status manager? If the players don't respect you then they'll do their own thing more I think.

Anyone else thinking long balls (especially from the keeper) are ridiculously effective? It seems any punt down the middle ends up with a one on one chance, for myself and the AI.

I've noticed it too, that's what I meant when I mentioned my defence playing offside when I haven't asked them to, the centre backs seem to step up in an attempt to cath offside, but all they are doing is leaving the striker a clear run on goal.

I've noticed it too, that's what I meant when I mentioned my defence playing offside when I haven't asked them to, the centre backs seem to step up in an attempt to cath offside, but all they are doing is leaving the striker a clear run on goal.

Yes! That is exactly what happens! I keep setting my defensive line to deep and my defenders' mentalities to as defensive as possible, but they still constantly get caught too high up the pitch.

Anyone else thinking long balls (especially from the keeper) are ridiculously effective? It seems any punt down the middle ends up with a one on one chance, for myself and the AI.

From the friendlies i have played (they're probably not the best indicator), using the counter attacking, long ball system with a quick centre forward has worked quite well at creating chances.

Having said that it has left me massively exposed for some reason. I played a 4-4 vs Tottenham where i conceded some howlers

was struggling 1st few games with my leeds team now im on a 8 match unbeaten run sitting in 2nd place on 1st of november,super becchio on fire now as well did't score in 1st 5 games now scored in every other game,beckford struggling vo for goals but plays well every game so im happy at moment long way to go vo:D

I am Manchester City.

I signed - Arshavin, Srna, Veloso, and Jesus Navas.

I play 4-1-3-2 with the wingers attacking....

I have played 15 league games...won 4 (the first four) lost 10 and drawn once.

I have fiddled with the ********* tactics for so long now, I'm getting extremely wound up!

I mean I lost....6-2...at home....to goddamn STOKE CITY!

shame that wasn't the real score and i am playing as stoke and have won 1 game in 10 against blackburn 3-1 only goals i have scored all seson

I'm glad I wasn't the only one struggling big time with tactics and not being able to hit a barn door. Sadly I was still in pre season with Luton. Couldn't beat any Conference sides which is ridiculous, I wasn't even getting any shots in. Whenever I did manage a goal it was ruled out for offside. :confused:

I have spent a few days making a detailed spreadsheet with all player details so I could choose the right players to play in their Natural positions. That doesn't seem to make any difference. At the end of the day I got so frustrated with it that I completely uninstalled the game and thought about giving up. However I have put the rattle back in the pram and shall reinstall it tonight and try again. Some of the ideas about tactics on here seem pretty good. By the wya if anyone is playing as Luton are you having problems with Parkin not wanting to play for you too and being simply useless. Can't the next patch send him to Orient where he is now. :p

I had an excellent pre-season, winning four out of four, a hatrick a piece for my strikers, good ratings, no injuries.

Now the season is 14 games in and Yakubu has 2 in 14, Vaughan 0 in 9 and Saha 2 in 9, all with very poor match ratings and im languishing in mid table.

I have been conscious not to change things too much but when do you say ''ok, time for a tactical overhaul''? My defense is pretty tight but i cant score for love nor money. Ive tried different attacking options but im running out of ideas to be honest

league1southend.jpg

Doing pretty well I'd say, also in the JPT Southern Final. Haven't had any real problems adapting to the tactics and stuff after playing FM08 so much and beta testing FMLive I can pretty much always see what I need to change.

and the assistant manager advice is pretty good, you just need to know what to change in accordance to what his opinion is.

Archived